Af/Pak & Libya News (11/5/2011)

dump...@hotmail.com

Nov 5, 2011, 9:41:07 PM11/5/11
General In Afghanistan Dismissed For Dissing Karzai:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/11/fuller-fired-dissing-karzai/

Taliban kill five Pakistani soldiers: officials:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gDPlK0LTe3ve0YYl2V6b29NvhDag?docId=CNG.304ee28a60a3232c039551a92c958268.331

Pakistan charges 2 police, 5 Taliban over Benazir Bhutto's
assassination:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45173354/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/#.TrXI4bJbW50

Army says not 'correct' to revoke Indian Kashmir law:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Army_says_not_correct_to_revoke_Indian_Kashmir_law_999.html

Pakistan Carts Its Nukes Around In Delivery Vans:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/11/pakistan-nukes-delivery-vans/

Libya news:

Canadian aircraft return from Libyan mission:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20796:canadian-aircraft-return-from-libyan-mission&catid=35:Aerospace&Itemid=107

Libya dispatch: as lawlessness spreads, are the rebel 'good guys'
turning bad?:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8871825/Libya-dispatch-as-lawlessness-spreads-are-the-rebel-good-guys-turning-bad.html

Libya Pledges To Destroy Chemical Weapons:

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=8147199&c=MID&s=TOP

American who joined Libyan rebels returning to US:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45174528/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.TrXJLLJbW50

And, in other news:

Peres: I believe Israel, world approaching military option on Iran
nuclear threat:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/peres-i-believe-israel-world-approaching-military-option-on-iran-nuclear-threat-1.393801

Israel’s Elite Counter-Terrorism Unit: The Yamam:

http://kitup.military.com/2011/11/israels-elite-counter-terrorism-unit-the-yamam.html

Raytheon’s Griffin Mini-Missiles:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Raytheons-Griffin-Mini-Missiles-07182/

UN report to reveal evidence of Iran's nuclear weapons program:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/un-report-to-reveal-evidence-of-iran-s-nuclear-weapons-program-1.393823

Marine War Games Drive Wholesale Amphibious Shakeup:

http://defense.aol.com/2011/11/04/marine-war-games-drive-wholesale-amphibious-shakeup/

New Gunshot Detection Capability Expands the Role of Mini-UAVs in
Force Protection:

http://defense-update.com/20111031_new-gunshot-detection-capability-expands-the-role-of-mini-uavs-in-force-protection.html

U.S. military official: We are concerned Israel will not warn us
before Iran attack:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/u-s-military-official-we-are-concerned-israel-will-not-warn-us-before-iran-attack-1.393834

Iron Triangle Showing Signs of Dysfunction:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=579

Korea: This Cannot Be Good:

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/korea/articles/20111105.aspx

Israel, U.S. to embark on largest joint exercise in allies' history:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-u-s-to-embark-on-largest-joint-exercise-in-allies-history-1.393878

Syrian tanks kill 13 in besieged Homs - activists:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/11/05/uk-syria-idUKTRE7A41BO20111105

China has 4 new nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles:

http://alert5.com/2011/11/05/china-has-4-new-nuclear-tipped-ballistic-missiles/

Boeing Reveals Details Of International F-18:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/asd/2011/11/04/02.xml&headline=Boeing%20Reveals%20Details%20Of%20International%20F-18

Battleground Africa: The Upcoming Siege of Kismayo:

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2011/11/battleground-africa-upcoming-siege-of.html

Views sought on disposal of nuclear-powered submarines:

http://www.janes.com/products/janes/defence-security-report.aspx?ID=1065931767

Refueling Gear Makes Navy’s Next Drone Even Deadlier:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/11/navy-killer-drone-refuel/

At least 69 dead in north Nigeria sect attacks:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2011-11-05/nigeria-attacks/51085188/1

Coast Guard to Test ScanEagle Drone for Ship-Based Operations:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=572

F-35 JSF Flight Test Update:

http://defensetech.org/2011/11/04/f-35-jsf-flight-test-update/

Czech wants to swap Mi-17s, Mi-24s for Boeing MH-6s:

http://alert5.com/2011/11/05/czech-wants-to-swap-mi-17s-mi-24s-for-boeing-mh-6s/

OMB Pushes More Tubes, Fewer Boats for Ohio Replacement Subs:

http://defense.aol.com/2011/11/04/omb-pushes-more-tubes-fewer-boats-for-ohio-replacement-subs/

Stuxnet-like virus hides in Microsoft Word files:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Stuxnet-like_virus_hides_in_Microsoft_Word_files_999.html

Paranoia Will Destroy 'Ya: AirSea Battle and Landpower:

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2011/11/paranoia-will-destroy-ya-airsea-battle.html

Canines Sniff Out Threats In War Zones:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/dti/2011/11/01/DT_11_01_2011_p15-382063.xml&headline=Canines%20Sniff%20Out%20Threats%20In%20War%20Zones&channel=defense

IDF strikes Gaza Strip; thwarts attempt to launch rocket at Israel:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/idf-strikes-gaza-strip-thwarts-attempt-to-launch-rocket-at-israel-1.393901

Colombians cheer killing of guerrilla kingpin:

http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFTRE7A40D620111106

White House: There's no sign of E.T. or UFO cover-up:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45176460/ns/technology_and_science/#.TrXIrLJbW50

William Black

Nov 5, 2011, 10:03:07 PM11/5/11
On 06/11/11 01:41, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Pakistan Carts Its Nukes Around In Delivery Vans:
>
> http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/11/pakistan-nukes-delivery-vans/

I really do hope this is a fantasy, I'm horribly inclined to think it
probably isn't...

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...

dump...@hotmail.com

Nov 5, 2011, 11:12:21 PM11/5/11
On Nov 5, 7:03 pm, William Black <blackuse...@gmail.com> wrote:
Pakistan Clandestinely Moving Its Nukes: Report:

"Pakistan has started moving its nuclear weapons in low-security vans
on congested roads to
hide them from U.S. spy agencies, making the weapons more vulnerable
to theft by Islamist
militants, two magazines reported Nov. 4."

See:

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=8148893&c=ASI&s=TOP

Dean A. Markley

Nov 6, 2011, 6:14:39 AM11/6/11
On 11/5/2011 10:03 PM, William Black wrote:
> On 06/11/11 01:41, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>> Pakistan Carts Its Nukes Around In Delivery Vans:
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/11/pakistan-nukes-delivery-vans/
>>

> I really do hope this is a fantasy, I'm horribly inclined to think it
> probably isn't...

While Wired is not the best source, I agree with you. Right now
Pakistan is probably the most dangerous country in the world.

Jeffrey Hamilton

Nov 6, 2011, 3:41:28 PM11/6/11
William Black wrote:
> On 06/11/11 01:41, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>> Pakistan Carts Its Nukes Around In Delivery Vans:
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/11/pakistan-nukes-delivery-vans/
>>

> I really do hope this is a fantasy, I'm horribly inclined to think it
> probably isn't...

They were discussing this very topic today on CNN, William, it appears it
may well be fact and _not_ fantasy, oh well. Evidedently a large
well-protected motorcade would draw the attention of not only the
terrorists, but apparently the American military too.

William this is a good commentary by Fareed Zakaria, including a chat with
Pervez Musharraf. Even if you can't see the video, there is a description of
the dialog. I trust you find this informative, if _not_ comforting.

cheers.....Jeff

Andrew Swallow

Nov 6, 2011, 4:18:30 PM11/6/11
This leads to the question, What is the battle readiness of these
dispersed nuclear weapons?

Short - the weapon, missile, mobile launcher and propellant are together.

Medium - its a 2 day journey to the launch site.

Long - What launch site?

Andrew Swallow

William Black

Nov 6, 2011, 5:42:27 PM11/6/11
How reliable are the vehicles?

It's South Asia, the climate and the roads kills motor vehicles at a
hell of arate and you can't just go to the local garage and say "Can you
bodge up my nuclear transport so it'll get me home".

William Black

Nov 6, 2011, 5:45:36 PM11/6/11
In a couple of years Pakistan will be littered by broken down nuclear
transport vehicles as they fall over.

It's South Asia, the climate and the roads kills motor vehicles at a
hell of a rate and you can't just go to the local garage and say "Can
you bodge up my nuclear transport so it'll get me home".

What's more the bureaucracy out there could well forget one if it has
broken down because, well, someone will have to do some work...

Or someone owes the Taliban a favour and rings them up and tells them
where there's a nuke in a broken down van guarded by two blokes with
pistols but no ammunition because they didn't fill in the right form...

Andrew Swallow

Nov 7, 2011, 2:11:18 AM11/7/11
It depends how often they move the nukes. They could be moved once and
left in a field or warehouse.

Andrew Swallow

Jeffrey Hamilton

Nov 8, 2011, 12:40:07 AM11/8/11
Yep, the place is a mess rapidly becoming a nightmare. I also forgot to
give the addy for the interview commentary I spoke of, sorry about that, so
here it is.
http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/05/this-week-on-gps-pervez-musharraf-on-pakistani-nuclear-weapons-plus-bill-gates-and-arne-duncan-on-education/

http://tinyurl.com/6wpe676

cheers....Jeff