Af/Pak & Other News (11/24/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Nov 24, 2012, 8:33:51 PM11/24/12
After roadside blast kills 7 in Pakistan, Taliban threatens more
attacks:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/24/15400096-after-roadside-blast-kills-7-in-pakistan-taliban-threatens-more-attacks?lite

Afghan police: Student killed in university clash:

http://www.boston.com/news/education/2012/11/24/afghan-police-student-killed-university-clash/6RwznKkGVtOHpPWAOalhQN/story.html

Taliban, tribal leaders work together in North Waziristan:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/11/taliban_tribal_leaders_tackle.php

Police avert suicide attack near Lakki Marwat Imambargah:

http://dawn.com/2012/11/23/blasts-heard-in-lakki-marwat-and-gilgit/

Report: White House Wrote Drone ‘Rule Book’:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2012/11/24/report-white-house-wrote-drone-rule-book.html

US says conference on WMD-free Middle East cancelled:

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/world/story/us-says-conference-wmd-free-middle-east-cancelled-20121124

Repairs force US Navy to cut back carriers in Gulf:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gv8ljFlvWyxVywAYGeupKmvJJmzw?docId=CNG.462a8b8ab6242da98f7304a2a0bfddf8.141

Against the odds, Syrian rebels begin to chip away at regime's air
advantage:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2012/1124/Against-the-odds-Syrian-rebels-begin-to-chip-away-at-regime-s-air-advantage

Arafat's body to be exhumed Tuesday to test for poison:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/24/15410583-arafats-body-to-be-exhumed-tuesday-to-test-for-poison?lite

Iron Dome Running Dry:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htlog/articles/20121124.aspx

Iron Dome missile explodes near highway:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4310692,00.html

Israel developing next-generation missile defense system with help
from Raytheon:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2012/11/24/israel-developing-next-generation-missile-defense-system-with-help-from-raytheon/kikI4i118yW78EYWjivYzH/story.html

Palestinians: IDF arrests Hamas MP in West Bank:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/palestinians-idf-arrests-hamas-mp-in-west-bank-1.480177

Israel, Hamas both see gains from Gaza fight:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hv2bgzK05qoSYk2pxOStiuiliAiw?docId=CNG.f24562ea95378016f9a407fc90254732.421

Israel eases Gaza border restrictions after Hamas truce deal:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/11/24/israel-eases-gaza-border-restrictions-after-hamas-truce-deal/

Hamas No. 2 rejects Gaza arms halt:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/20174149/back-to-school-in-gaza-after-israel-offensive

On This, 2 Sides Agree: Fighting Hardened Positions:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/world/middleeast/israel-and-hamas-are-united-in-seeing-scant-value-in-compromise.html?ref=world

Egypt's top judges call Morsi decree 'unprecedented attack':

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/24/15410858-egypts-top-judges-call-morsi-decree-unprecedented-attack?lite

Russia charges ex-defence minister's aide with fraud:

http://www.expatica.ru/news/russian-news/russia-charges-ex-defence-minister-s-aide-with-fraud_251221.html

South Korea deploys new cruise missiles: report:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/South_Korea_deploys_new_cruise_missiles_report_999.html

First flight of J-15 off Liaoning:

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2012/11/first-flight-of-j-15-off-liaoning.html

Xinhua releases 14 photos of J-15 taking off and landing on board
Liaoning:

http://alert5.com/2012/11/25/xinhua-releases-14-photos-of-j-15-taking-off-and-landing-on-board-liaoning/

New U.S. Presidential Helicopter Program Kicks Off:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20121123/DEFREG02/311230006/New-U-S-Presidential-Helicopter-Program-Kicks-Off?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Jane Fonda Finally Apologizes:

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/ben-shapiro/jane-fonda-finally-apologizes/

SolomonW

Nov 25, 2012, 5:30:19 AM11/25/12
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 17:33:51 -0800 (PST), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Iron Dome missile explodes near highway:
>
> http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4310692,00.html

Throw something in the air and it comes down.

dott.Piergiorgio

Nov 25, 2012, 6:25:14 AM11/25/12
Il 25/11/2012 02:33, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
> Arafat's body to be exhumed Tuesday to test for poison:
>
> http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/24/15410583-arafats-body-to-be-exhumed-tuesday-to-test-for-poison?lite

E meh... this "Arafat murdered ?" thing resurface when there's mess
involving Palestine.... I'm not surprised.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Andrew Swallow

Nov 25, 2012, 9:42:44 AM11/25/12
On 25/11/2012 01:33, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Jane Fonda Finally Apologizes:
>
> http://frontpagemag.com/2012/ben-shapiro/jane-fonda-finally-apologizes/

What is Jane Fonda up to? I do not believe that she has finally got
religion; that would have happened when she had a right wing media mogul
husband. New film? Wants to be buried some where honourable?

Andrew Swallow

Keith W

Nov 25, 2012, 10:07:53 AM11/25/12
I am not sure why you regard Ted Turner as right wing.
He was awarded the humanist of the year award ,
reportedly said he saw no problem with Iran having
nuclear weapons and is a vocal supporter of Obama's
healthcare proposals.

The article hard;y counts as an apology, more a realization
that she had been indiscreet.

Keith

peter skelton

Nov 25, 2012, 12:15:41 PM11/25/12
"Keith W" wrote in message
This is way behind the curve. Here's an earlier, very well
publicized apology, that can't be mistaken for anything but
an apology:

In a 1988 interview with Barbara Walters, Fonda expressed
regret for some of her comments and actions, stating:

I would like to say something, not just to Vietnam veterans
in New England, but to men who were in Vietnam, who I hurt,
or whose pain I caused to deepen because of things that I
said or did. I was trying to help end the killing and the
war, but there were times when I was thoughtless and
careless about it and I'm very sorry that I hurt them. And I
want to apologize to them and their families. [...] I will
go to my grave regretting the photograph of me in an
anti-aircraft gun, which looks like I was trying to shoot at
American planes. It hurt so many soldiers. It galvanized
such hostility. It was the most horrible thing I could
possibly have done. It was just thoughtless.

(I clipped it out of Wiki, but it was well-covered at the
time, with the usual commentators stating that it was done
out of self-interest etc.)

Steve Hix

Nov 25, 2012, 12:21:57 PM11/25/12
In article <A92dne0Eg6v9sy_N...@bt.com>,
Andrew Swallow <am.sw...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 25/11/2012 01:33, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Jane Fonda Finally Apologizes:
> >
> > http://frontpagemag.com/2012/ben-shapiro/jane-fonda-finally-apologizes/
>
> What is Jane Fonda up to? I do not believe that she has finally got
> religion; that would have happened when she had a right wing media mogul
> husband.

Sure thing, what with Ted being a vocally anti-religious until very recently.
Even now, his position is at most weakly religious (and that pretty much of a
"maybe natural disasters are god's way of yelling at us").

> New film? Wants to be buried some where honourable?

Her bank balance is probably down a bit.

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Nov 25, 2012, 12:53:27 PM11/25/12
peter skelton wrote:

> In a 1988 interview with Barbara Walters, Fonda expressed regret for
> some of her comments and actions, stating:

She said essentially I'm sorry you poor babies got your feelings hurt.

She is a much loved national hero for her anti-war activities and
has since made $millions as an actor, self-help videos, and
other business endeavors..."proof is in the pudding".

no apology to crybabies for anti-war stance including twice visiting the DRV
;-)

Vaughn

Nov 25, 2012, 2:05:55 PM11/25/12
A thousand apologies wouldn't matter. It wouldn't even matter if I
forgave her (which I don't). We could talk about this for weeks and it
still wouldn't matter. Certain acts in our culture are simply
inexcusable and therefore attach to the perpetrator as stigmata for
life. Jane Fonda's folly serves as a great example.

Vaughn

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Nov 25, 2012, 2:22:37 PM11/25/12
awwww...the poor little baby had his feelings hurt.

Son, when are *you* going to apologize for the 7 million dead *your* side caused?
;-)

smharding

Nov 25, 2012, 2:46:26 PM11/25/12
I believe she is more remorseful about her actions being
captured on film, rather than actually doing the deed.

SMH

N.O.Body

Nov 25, 2012, 2:53:01 PM11/25/12
"Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D." <dr...@coldine.edu> wrote in
I'd venture a guess, that the moment will be right just about
the time all the bullet sponges and excreted bullet sponges,
er..., Marines learn what prats everyone thinks they are
because their Pavlovian conditioning causes them to get erect
whenever some clown (i.e., their social superiors) plays the
Gyrines Hum on a kazoo.

That is, NEVER, because hubris/pride is a primitive emotion
that fortunately often handicaps the sufferer to the advantage
of more advanced social life forms..., and that includes even
Squids and civil engineers.

peter skelton

Nov 25, 2012, 2:57:52 PM11/25/12
"smharding" wrote in message
That's rather the point isn't it. For some airhead to run
around making a private ass of herself is one thing, and no
big deal, to oppose the politics of those in your country is
another, but acceptable in the US. To become a symbol of
support for a repressive regime at war with your country is
something to be bloody well ashamed of.

David E. Powell

Nov 25, 2012, 3:04:20 PM11/25/12
+1 to that, plus the personal insult stuff she said to POWs while they were being held prisoner which to my knowledge she has never said anything like an apology about.

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Nov 25, 2012, 3:07:20 PM11/25/12
She is an easy target for the Crybaby Vets. There are many
other events that they could rightfully complain about.
For example, President Nixon's 1971 visit to Communist China and
toasting to the successes of Communist China while the Vietnam
War raged next door supposedly "fighting Communism"...before
Ms Fonda's trip in 1972.

I'd bet most of these Crybaby Vets are bully assholes to women in real life.
;-)

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Nov 25, 2012, 3:14:11 PM11/25/12
Son, the repressive regime was France...when defeated the U.S. took over
with another repressive regime, "South" Vietnam.

free history lesson, no charge
;-)

peter skelton

Nov 25, 2012, 3:36:17 PM11/25/12
"Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D." wrote in message
And worth every penny of it.

Tell me O genius of history, what relevance the actions of
colonial France had to the point under discussion? And then
tell me when did the US or South Vietnam control the spot
where Jane plunked her shapely ass?

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Nov 25, 2012, 3:56:43 PM11/25/12
You said "repressive regime". Both France and the U.S. puppet were repressive regimes.

Ms Fonda was opposed to those oppressive regimes, especially the one
propped up by the government representing her.

free English comprehension lesson, no charge
;-)

peter skelton

Nov 25, 2012, 4:28:55 PM11/25/12
"Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D." wrote in message
The topic is regimes at the time Jane made her boo-boo. You
need to defend your statement in that context. In doing so,
do not forget to defend your use of the exclusive article
'the'.

Good luck

<badly failed logic removed>

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Nov 25, 2012, 4:43:27 PM11/25/12
Correct, son. You inferred that the U.S. was not the "repressive regime" side,
when in fact it was...not one, but *two* repressive regimes.
;-)

peter skelton

Nov 25, 2012, 6:15:40 PM11/25/12
"Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D." wrote in message
By snippage you admit the fallacy of your logic. You should
have read and internalized what I wrote, especially the bit
about the exclusive article 'the'. In my text above, you
will note the use of the indefinite article 'a'. THere was a
reason for my choice of the word.

Incidentally, congratulations are in order. For many years
our illustrious contributor, Fred J. McCall has held
tenaciously to the record for inability to comprehend the
shortest word. Your failure to comprehend the word 'a' blows
his 'or' out of the water, establishing a record that, while
it may be equalled, is unlikely to be broken.

Again congratulations.

Andrew Swallow

Nov 25, 2012, 7:38:48 PM11/25/12
Also proof that the blacklist was well and truly dead. Her future films
were financed, theatres and TV stations showed them and studios put them
out on DVD.

Andrew Swallow

Andrew Chaplin

Nov 25, 2012, 9:52:46 PM11/25/12
"peter skelton" <skel...@yahoo.ca> wrote in

> By snippage you admit the fallacy of your logic. You should
> have read and internalized what I wrote, especially the bit
> about the exclusive article 'the'. In my text above, you
> will note the use of the indefinite article 'a'. THere was a
> reason for my choice of the word.
>
> Incidentally, congratulations are in order. For many years
> our illustrious contributor, Fred J. McCall has held
> tenaciously to the record for inability to comprehend the
> shortest word. Your failure to comprehend the word 'a' blows
> his 'or' out of the water, establishing a record that, while
> it may be equalled, is unlikely to be broken.
>
> Again congratulations.

... earning Quim an immediate award of the William Jefferson Clinton medal
for fallacious reasoning.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Keith W

Nov 26, 2012, 4:01:21 AM11/26/12
Its worth noting that Jane Fonda herself never claimed to have
been blacklisted and any trace of it was long gone by 1980
let alone 1988. In the 80's she appeared in several major movies
including 9 to 5 and was nominated for an Oscar.

Keith

Jim Wilkins

Nov 26, 2012, 7:17:52 AM11/26/12
"Keith W" <keithnosp...@demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Its worth noting that Jane Fonda herself never claimed to have
> been blacklisted and any trace of it was long gone by 1980
> let alone 1988. In the 80's she appeared in several major movies
> including 9 to 5 and was nominated for an Oscar.
>
> Keith

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2001/nov/08/artsfeatures
"I've been blacklisted for a large part of my career because of my
politics - as surely as any writer was blacklisted back in the 1950s.
It's just that my politics are from the other side, and Hollywood
always veers left."

peter skelton

Nov 26, 2012, 7:58:12 AM11/26/12
"Andrew Swallow" wrote in message
Hardly, the blacklist was not hurting Vietnam War opponents
in the post-war period. The US went through an ugly period
there.

peter skelton

Nov 26, 2012, 8:02:07 AM11/26/12
"Keith W" wrote in message
> [...]
She did Fun with Dick and Jane in '76 and Coming Home in
'78, got an Academy award for the latter.

dott.Piergiorgio

Nov 26, 2012, 11:49:32 AM11/26/12
Il 25/11/2012 22:28, peter skelton ha scritto:

>> Tell me O genius of history, what relevance the actions of colonial
>> France had to the point under discussion?
>
>> You said "repressive regime". Both France and the U.S. puppet were
>> repressive regimes.
>
> The topic is regimes at the time Jane made her boo-boo. You need to
> defend your statement in that context. In doing so, do not forget to
> defend your use of the exclusive article 'the'.
>
> Good luck

forget it, seems obvious that the alleged COLDine "U" has this name
because is somewhere in siberia....

Keith W

Nov 26, 2012, 2:05:52 PM11/26/12
That article is about John Milius not Jane Fonda

Keith

Jim Wilkins

Nov 26, 2012, 6:05:12 PM11/26/12
> Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "...>>
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2001/nov/08/artsfeatures
>> "I've been blacklisted for a large part of my career because of my
>> politics - as surely as any writer was blacklisted back in the
>> 1950s.
>> It's just that my politics are from the other side, and Hollywood
>> always veers left."
>
> That article is about John Milius not Jane Fonda
>
> Keith

It shows how the pendulum has swung.

Keith W

Nov 26, 2012, 6:46:08 PM11/26/12
Not really, his work has been unfashionable to be sure but he has
not been subject to anything like the blacklist that prevented
talented writers such as Carl Foreman who wrote High Noon
from working simply because they refused to testify against
other writers before the House UnAmerican Activities committee.

Your loss was our gain however when he moved to Britain
and wrote a series of successful movies including The Victors
and The Guns Of Navarone.

Other blacklisted writers included Dalton Trumbo (Spartacus),
Michael Wilson (Bridge Over the River Kwai and Lawrence
of Arabia).

It was not just writers of course, that musician and gentleman
Larry Adler was also blacklisted and also found a warm welcome
in Britain where he became something of a national institution.

One of his last albums , an album of Gershwin songs included
backing from Peter Gabriel, Oleta Adams, Elton John, Sting,
Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, Meat Loaf, Sin�ad O'Connor,
Robert Palmer, Cher, Kate Bush, Elvis Costello, Courtney Pine,
Issy Van Randwyck, Lisa Stansfield and Carly Simon.

Composers such as Ralph Vaughan Williams, Malcolm Arnold,
Darius Milhaud and Arthur Benjamin composed works for him.

Not bad for a man banned from working in the USA for
being 'UnAmerican'. His crime was refusing to name
fellow musicians as communists before the house committee.

Keith

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Nov 26, 2012, 8:37:49 PM11/26/12
There was never any serious blacklist wrt JF...that myth is repeated
by a small number of angry Crybaby Vets and their supporters.

In fact, Ms Fonda is loved and admired by millions of Americans.
;-)

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Nov 26, 2012, 8:49:42 PM11/26/12
ha...your surrender is noted son
;-)

Jeffrey Hamilton

Nov 26, 2012, 9:34:23 PM11/26/12
Andrew Chaplin wrote:
> "peter skelton" <skel...@yahoo.ca> wrote in
>
>> By snippage you admit the fallacy of your logic. You should
>> have read and internalized what I wrote, especially the bit
>> about the exclusive article 'the'. In my text above, you
>> will note the use of the indefinite article 'a'. THere was a
>> reason for my choice of the word.
>>
>> Incidentally, congratulations are in order. For many years
>> our illustrious contributor, Fred J. McCall has held
>> tenaciously to the record for inability to comprehend the
>> shortest word. Your failure to comprehend the word 'a' blows
>> his 'or' out of the water, establishing a record that, while
>> it may be equalled, is unlikely to be broken.
>>
>> Again congratulations.
>
> ... earning Quim an immediate award of the William Jefferson Clinton
> medal for fallacious reasoning.

LoL, two record holders on the same NG, truly we are blessed.

cheers....Jeff