Af/Pak & Other News (3/23/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Mar 23, 2012, 7:25:14 PM3/23/12
U.S. soldier in Afghan killings faces 17 murder charges:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCABRE82M0ZU20120323

Top commander: US can win in Afghanistan, needs 'combat power' in
2013:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/22/10812785-top-commander-us-can-win-in-afghanistan-needs-combat-power-in-2013

Taliban bomber kills 5 rival militants in Pakistan:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/03/23/taliban-bomber-kills-5-rival-militants-in-pakistan/

The Polio Police Keep At It:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htun/articles/20120323.aspx

After Massacre, Army Tried to Delete Accused Shooter From the
Internet:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/massacre-memory-hole/

U.S. to Reopen Bidding on Troubled Afghan Aircraft Deal:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120323/DEFREG02/303230005/U-S-Reopen-Bidding-Troubled-Afghan-Aircraft-Deal?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

The Marines Go For Cheap And Deadly:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htairw/articles/20120323.aspx

Navy’s Tiniest Warships Could Lead Assault on Iran:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/tiny-warships-iran-assault/

More Tea Leaves:

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2012/03/more-tea-leaves.html

Syria troops bomb towns, EU grounds First Lady:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/world/285711/syria-troops-bomb-towns-eu-grounds-first-lady

“Iran used identical explosive charges in New Delhi, Georgia, and
Turkey”:

http://www.israeldefense.com/?CategoryID=483&ArticleID=1086

U.S. Congress supports additional funding for Israel's Iron Dome
systems:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/u-s-congress-supports-additional-funding-for-israel-s-iron-dome-systems-1.420261

Soldiers loot in Mali after coup, AU says president safe:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/23/us-mali-army-idUSBRE82L09C20120323

Private Arsenal Ships in the Fight Against Piracy:

http://defensetech.org/2012/03/22/private-arsenal-ships-in-the-fight-against-piracy/

China installs alarm system to grab refugees: report:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/China_installs_alarm_system_to_grab_refugees_report_999.html

China struggles to contain wave of defiance in Tibet:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/23/10832331-china-struggles-to-contain-wave-of-defiance-in-tibet

What is Going on in China?:

http://defensetech.org/2012/03/22/what-is-going-on-in-china/

China bloggers skirt censors with noodles, Teletubbies:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/China_bloggers_skirt_censors_with_noodles_Teletubbies_999.html

French intelligence chief: Toulouse shooter arrested by Israel Police
in 2010 for possession of a knife:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/french-intelligence-chief-toulouse-shooter-arrested-by-israel-police-in-2010-for-possession-of-a-knife-1.420420

Police: Suspect in French killing spree was hit by 20 bullets:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/23/10832762-police-suspect-in-french-killing-spree-was-hit-by-20-bullets

Idiotic Idea of the Day: Jailing Lurkers of Terror Websites:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/terror-lurker/

WASS To Unveil New Light Torpedo at DefExpo:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120323/DEFREG01/303230002/WASS-Unveil-New-Light-Torpedo-DefExpo?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

The secret Falklands 'suicide mission':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/9158097/The-secret-Falklands-suicide-mission.html

Scrapping Trident SLBM could save £83.5 billion over long run:

http://alert5.com/2012/03/22/scrapping-trident-slbm-could-save-83-5-billion-over-long-run/

Australian Committee Hearing Reveals Details of F-35 Performance in
Wargame:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/verbatim/4/133273/f_35-fares-worse-in-rand-wargame.html

Dutch Marines Will Miss Their Mortars:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3acf070bc2-a0d7-43a2-b0f1-53b5cd0224f1&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Air Force Won’t Replace JSTARS Fleet:

http://defensetech.org/2012/03/23/air-force-wont-replace-jstars-fleet/

Russian Ministry of Defence and Irkut Corporation Signed the Contract
on Su-30SM Fighters Delivery:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/133781/russia-orders-30-su_30sm-two_seaters.html

Prison sentence for espionage scientist:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Prison_sentence_for_espionage_scientist_999.html

New Wave of Procurement Reforms Could Soon Hit the Pentagon:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=720

Congress Fights Back Against Costly Delay To Virginia Submarine
Program:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/03/23/congress-fights-back-against-costly-delay-to-virginia-submarine/

Fire Scout Team Takes Steps to Arm Unmanned Helicopter:

http://www.defencetalk.com/fire-scout-team-takes-steps-to-arm-unmanned-helicopter-41091/

Navy: The cruisers must go, that others may stay:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/03/22/navy-the-cruisers-must-go-that-others-may-stay/

Psst, USAF: Canada Might Want a Look at Those Extra C-27s:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a214d0055-b995-4842-abcf-a3a622513383&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Air Force Will Continue to Launch Mysterious X-37B Space Plane
(Updated):

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=721

Retro Vid: Drones Shooting Air-to-Ground Missiles in the ‘70s:

http://defensetech.org/2012/03/23/retro-vid-drones-shooting-air-to-ground-missiles-in-the-70s/

Secret Nuclear Drone Plan Nixed by ‘Political Realities’:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/secret-nuclear-drone/

Fighters, Missiles For Countering Stealth:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/awst/2012/03/19/AW_03_19_2012_p64-434177.xml&headline=Fighters,%20Missiles%20For%20Countering%20Stealth&channel=awst

dott.Piergiorgio

Mar 24, 2012, 6:32:39 AM3/24/12
Il 24/03/2012 00:25, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
> Navy’s Tiniest Warships Could Lead Assault on Iran:
>
> http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/tiny-warships-iran-assault/

*really* an uniquely excellent tactical idea by USN :)

aside that, after following the various links from the art. above, I
must warn to NOT, rpt NOT repeat Adm.Aube's strategic mistake, as this
article seems to be prone:

http://www.offiziere.ch/?p=6487

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

dott.Piergiorgio

Mar 24, 2012, 6:39:04 AM3/24/12
Il 24/03/2012 00:25, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
> Navy: The cruisers must go, that others may stay:
>
> http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/03/22/navy-the-cruisers-must-go-that-others-may-stay/

Personally I suspect that with the current mess in Naval nomenclature of
types and roles, the opposite must be done, the Burkes being
definitively cruising ships and no more large AA/ASW escorts....

Dennis

Mar 25, 2012, 10:41:21 PM3/25/12
Seriously cool! I like the Streetfighter, as opposed to the bloated
Literal Combat Shit. Build lots of Streetfighters not, and Streetfighter
tenders, and we'll have a ready capability. As for the LCS, who knows when
we'll have what we need?

Dennis