Af/Pak & Other News (1/8/2013)

dump...@hotmail.com

Jan 8, 2013, 12:11:40 PM1/8/13
Afghan Soldier Kills British Soldier, Wounds 6:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/nato-soldier-killed-uniformed-afghan-18157356

6 Strikes, 8 Days, 35 Dead: The U.S. Drone War in Pakistan is Back:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/01/pakistan-strike/

India says Pakistani soldiers kill 2 Indians in second outbreak of
violence at border:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/01/08/india-says-pakistani-soldiers-kill-2-indians-in-second-outbreak-violence-at/

Counter IED Lab Saves Lives in Afghanistan:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/141452/counter-ied-lab-saves-lives-in-afghanistan.html

Armor: India Catching Up With China And Pakistan:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/20130108.aspx

India’s Multi-billion Dollar Scorpene Sub Contract:

https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/india-to-sign-multibillion-dollar-scorpene-sub-contract-updated-01194/

Germany Deploys Patriot Missile Defense To Turkey:

http://www.dw.de/germany-deploys-patriot-missile-defense-to-turkey/a-16504911

Hints of Syrian Chemical Push Set Off Global Effort to Stop It:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/08/world/middleeast/chemical-weapons-showdown-with-syria-led-to-rare-accord.html?ref=world&_r=0

Fighting Flares in Palestinian Camp in Damascus:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324391104578229492874401304.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Riot breaks out in Syrian refugee camp in Jordan as winter weather
deepens misery:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/01/08/riot-breaks-out-in-syrian-refugee-camp-in-jordan-as-winter-weather-deepens/

Activists Say Mass Grave Found at Air Base Outside Damascus:

http://projects.nytimes.com/watching-syrias-war?ref=world

U.S. gives unstable Lebanon 200 armored vehicles:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/07/us-lebanon-us-military-idUSBRE9060FQ20130107

Elbit to Supply the Israeli MoD with Cardom Artillery Systems:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/141462/israel-orders-cardom-artillery-systems.html

Egypt foils bomb plot near Gaza border:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2013/01/egypt_foils_bomb_plot_near_gaz.php

Algerian forces train to fight jihadists:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Algherian_forces_train_to_fight_jihadists_999.html

The Big Russian Navy Exercise of 2013:

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2013/01/the-big-russian-navy-exercise-of-2013.html

Russia to Start Construction of Three Radar Stations:

http://www.defencetalk.com/russia-to-start-construction-of-three-radar-stations-46217/

IN FOCUS: China’s new strategic airlifter:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/in-focus-chinas-new-strategic-airlifter-380780/

China ships off disputed isles in Japan row:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/China_ships_off_disputed_isles_in_Japan_row_999.html

China positioning unmanned J-6 fighters near Taiwan:

http://alert5.com/2013/01/08/china-positioning-unmanned-j-6-fighters-near-taiwan/

US says crashed drone drifted into Philippine sea:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gzjNv4RNn23wrtBAtsWContw--Cw?docId=CNG.4cdf1b972eda499cb512b8cc6631a0aa.01

U.S. nuclear lab removes Chinese tech over security fears:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/01/07/us-huawei-alamos-idUKBRE90608B20130107

JSTARS Expands Missions Across the Globe:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/141449/jstars-expands-missions-across-the-globe.html

Strategic Trend of Note:

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2013/01/strategic-trend-of-note.html

We Fly a B-2 Stealth Bomber:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/aviation/military/we-fly-a-b-2-stealth-bomber#slide-1

David E. Powell

Jan 8, 2013, 12:46:31 PM1/8/13
On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:11:40 PM UTC-5, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

Snip
Hm. They're really keeping up the press. The Chinese ercently made a big movie about their 1895 Naval War with Japan, a lot of talk like "We weer robbed" after a football game about it going around in China. (It is on Youtube, I lost the link, some of the battle scenes were well done, with historical liscense. My favorite part of that being heric Chinese ailrs with cannon shells at ready, drifting powder smoke, and ripped shirts, before anyone had even fired a shot.) I wonder if the movie has something to do with the interest in naval stuff with Japan? (I remember a certain part of Red Storm Rising, what, the Alexander Nevsky reissue in that movie?)

> China positioning unmanned J-6 fighters near Taiwan:
>

> http://alert5.com/2013/01/08/china-positioning-unmanned-j-6-fighters-near-taiwan/

Here's another one for the 50 year old designs thread. MiG-19 variants. Unmanned "first wave horde" to eat a lot of the defense missiles, maybe? Again, liek Red Storm Rising with the Russian Kelt Missile drones?
The Chinese are really making a full press. In the last year they have been pushing everywhere, Japan, Taiwan, Phillipines. Not South Korea to my knowledge, though the North Koreans may be doing that as partial surrogates with stuff like the ship sinking. I wonder if they are testing for weakness before something they want to do really soon, or just trying to send a message before a further buildup?

I really hope someone in DC is paying attention.

> U.S. nuclear lab removes Chinese tech over security fears:
>
> http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/01/07/us-huawei-alamos-idUKBRE90608B20130107

This ties in there, then, but I wonder how dependent our Military is on them now for tech components? Plus they get to get our designs for the chips and components that they make, of course.

Jim Wilkins

Jan 8, 2013, 12:56:50 PM1/8/13
"David E. Powell" <David_Po...@msn.com> wrote

>I really hope someone in DC is paying attention.

The Chinese Colonels report, "Unrestricted Warfare", isn't far from
Mein Kampf:
http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/china/doctrine/unresw1.htm

dump...@hotmail.com

Jan 8, 2013, 1:12:03 PM1/8/13
On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:46:31 AM UTC-8, David E. Powell wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:11:40 PM UTC-5, dump...@hotmail.com wrote: Snip > China ships off disputed isles in Japan row: > > > http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/China_ships_off_disputed_isles_in_Japan_row_999.html Hm. They're really keeping up the press. The Chinese ercently made a big movie about their 1895 Naval War with Japan, a lot of talk like "We weer robbed" after a football game about it going around in China. (It is on Youtube, I lost the link, some of the battle scenes were well done, with historical liscense. My favorite part of that being heric Chinese ailrs with cannon shells at ready, drifting powder smoke, and ripped shirts, before anyone had even fired a shot.) I wonder if the movie has something to do with the interest in naval stuff with Japan? (I remember a certain part of Red Storm Rising, what, the Alexander Nevsky reissue in that movie?) > China positioning unmanned J-6 fighters near Taiwan: > > > > http://alert5.com/2013/01/08/china-positioning-unmanned-j-6-fighters-near-taiwan/ Here's another one for the 50 year old designs thread. MiG-19 variants. Unmanned "first wave horde" to eat a lot of the defense missiles, maybe? Again, liek Red Storm Rising with the Russian Kelt Missile drones? > US says crashed drone drifted into Philippine sea: > > http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gzjNv4RNn23wrtBAtsWContw--Cw?docId=CNG.4cdf1b972eda499cb512b8cc6631a0aa.01 The Chinese are really making a full press. In the last year they have been pushing everywhere, Japan, Taiwan, Phillipines. Not South Korea to my knowledge, though the North Koreans may be doing that as partial surrogates with stuff like the ship sinking. I wonder if they are testing for weakness before something they want to do really soon, or just trying to send a message before a further buildup? I really hope someone in DC is paying attention. > U.S. nuclear lab removes Chinese tech over security fears: > > http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/01/07/us-huawei-alamos-idUKBRE90608B20130107 This ties in there, then, but I wonder how dependent our Military is on them now for tech components? Plus they get to get our designs for the chips and components that they make, of course.

It gets even more interesting if this is true:

China To Acquire Tu-22 Supersonic Bombers?:

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ain-defense-perspective/2013-01-04/china-acquire-tu-22-supersonic-bombers

David E. Powell

Jan 8, 2013, 3:14:55 PM1/8/13
On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:12:03 PM UTC-5, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:46:31 AM UTC-8, David E. Powell wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:11:40 PM UTC-5, dump...@hotmail.com wrote: Snip > China ships off disputed isles in Japan row: > > > http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/China_ships_off_disputed_isles_in_Japan_row_999.html Hm. They're really keeping up the press. The Chinese ercently made a big movie about their 1895 Naval War with Japan, a lot of talk like "We were robbed" after a football game about it going around in China. (It is on Youtube, I lost the link, some of the battle scenes were well done, with historical liscense. My favorite part of that being heroic Chinese Sailors with cannon shells at ready, drifting powder smoke, and ripped shirts, before anyone had even fired a shot.) I wonder if the movie has something to do with the interest in naval stuff with Japan? (I remember a certain part of Red Storm Rising, what, the Alexander Nevsky reissue in that movie?) > China positioning unmanned J-6 fighters near Taiwan:

Here's another one for the 50 year old designs thread. MiG-19 variants. Unmanned "first wave horde" to eat a lot of the defense missiles, maybe? Again, like Red Storm Rising with the Russian Kelt Missile drones?

> > US says crashed drone drifted into Philippine sea: > > http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gzjNv4RNn23wrtBAtsWContw--Cw?docId=CNG.4cdf1b972eda499cb512b8cc6631a0aa.01 The Chinese are really making a full press. In the last year they have been pushing everywhere, Japan, Taiwan, Phillipines. Not South Korea to my knowledge, though the North Koreans may be doing that as partial surrogates with stuff like the ship sinking. I wonder if they are testing for weakness before something they want to do really soon, or just trying to send a message before a further buildup? I really hope someone in DC is paying attention. >

> > U.S. nuclear lab removes Chinese tech over security fears: > > http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/01/07/us-huawei-alamos-idUKBRE90608B20130107

> > This ties in there, then, but I wonder how dependent our Military is on them now for tech components? Plus they get to get our designs for the chips and components that they make, of course.

I went back into that original part and corrected some of my atrocious spelling, my apologies for that! I have to lay off multitasking conversations IRL and typing here. The thoughts work out but the typing doesn't!

> It gets even more interesting if this is true:
>

> China To Acquire Tu-22 Supersonic Bombers?:
>

> http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ain-defense-perspective/2013-01-04/china-acquire-tu-22-supersonic-bombers

That's more Dale Brown than Tom Clancy, but yes. An awful lot of motion, and in an awful lot of directions. I just hope it is China making a big show with a plan for future build ups, to rattle the sword a bit, as opposed to them gearing up to do something really hostile. If they do it might be Taiwan or the Phillipines. They seem to be threatening and making noise in the Phillipines, harassing Japan just enough to get their attention, but making their biggest buildup near Taiwan.

There is a lot of Naval interest in China right now, and the US and other western nations have their minds on their economies and other parts of the world. Dare I say the climate in the West reminds me of the early 1930s.

David

dott.Piergiorgio

Jan 9, 2013, 1:16:06 PM1/9/13
Il 08/01/2013 18:11, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
> U.S. gives unstable Lebanon 200 armored vehicles:
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/07/us-lebanon-us-military-idUSBRE9060FQ20130107

I strongly disagree on this. How one can be sure that in the very
peculiar Lebanese environment this weaponry don't fell into wrong hands
? and c'mon, you have just *SERIOUSLY* pissed off Italian Army (whose
has ~1,500 men in S. Lebanon, between Tsahal and Hizbollah....

Best regards from Italy, and Viva l' Italia !
dott. Piergiorgio