Af/Pak & Other News (8/12/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Aug 12, 2012, 6:54:26 PM8/12/12
Afghan intelligence thwarts complex assault plot in Kabul; Pakistani
suspect, 4 others arrested:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/08/afghan_intelligence_3.php

14 Pakistanis who joined Afghan police return home:

http://news.yahoo.com/14-pakistanis-joined-afghan-police-return-home-210800865.html?_esi=1

Report: Paper reveals Taliban softening stance on girls' education:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/12/13241448-report-paper-reveals-taliban-softening-stance-on-girls-education?lite

Exclusive: Afghan officials met key Taliban figure in Pakistan:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/12/us-afghanistan-pakistan-baradar-idUSBRE87B03H20120812

Al Qaeda-linked insurgent targeted in Ghazni raid:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/08/al_qaeda-linked_insu.php

The Best Of Frenemies:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htterr/articles/20120812.aspx

Iran steps up relief efforts after quakes kill 227:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/1219787/1/.html

US Navy ship collides with oil tanker in Gulf:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/story/2012-08-12/navy-ship-collision/56995948/1

Main players in Syria civil war:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/middleeast/articles/2012/08/12/main_players_in_syria_civil_war/

Confused civilians swarm into Syria battle zone:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/12/us-syria-crisis-city-idUSBRE87B0KW20120812

Lebanon Charges Syria-Linked Lawmaker:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444042704577584932066641136.html

Israel tests SMS missile alerts as Iran chatter grows:

http://www.france24.com/en/20120812-israel-tests-sms-missile-alerts-iran-chatter-grows

Amid talk of Iran strike, IDF set to reactivate long-rage intelligence
drone:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/amid-talk-of-iran-strike-idf-set-to-reactivate-long-rage-intelligence-drone.premium-1.457714

New Egyptian president orders military chief to retire:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48639143/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.UCgzbqPAjGs

Spain: ETA figure in arrested in France:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Spain_ETA_figure_in_arrested_in_France_999.html

Denmark Seeks Bids for Armored Personnel Carriers:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120810/DEFREG01/308100001/Denmark-Seeks-Bids-Armored-Personnel-Carriers?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Anonymous stalking Australian spooks:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/12/anonymous_data_digging_downunder/

PLAN's new type 056 class:

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2012/08/plans-new-type-056-class.html

Pilots Despise Flying UAVs:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htatrit/articles/20120812.aspx

David E. Powell

Aug 13, 2012, 6:06:26 PM8/13/12
On Sunday, August 12, 2012 6:54:26 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> Afghan intelligence thwarts complex assault plot in Kabul; Pakistani
>
> suspect, 4 others arrested:
>

> http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/08/afghan_intelligence_3.php

Good stuff, like Iraq, this is good stuff and hope it keeps going. I am willing to guess a lot of plots get caught before they can come off, the problem is ones that get through. Afghanistan being able to do operations like this and bust the cells is a good, good thing.

> 14 Pakistanis who joined Afghan police return home:
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/14-pakistanis-joined-afghan-police-return-home-210800865.html?_esi=1

Gutsy of any Pakistani to support the Karzai gov't, as so much of Pakistan has been infiltrated by the Taliban types.
I guess they have found that stuff like blowing up and poisoning kids going to school doesn't make them too popular with the locals. The Taliban sucks, they're up there with the Post-Reconstruction Klan in the jackass department and anything that knocks thme back is always good.

> Exclusive: Afghan officials met key Taliban figure in Pakistan:
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/12/us-afghanistan-pakistan-baradar-idUSBRE87B03H20120812

People ask why the US needs to keep a hand in Afghanistan and ties, here's why. Charlie Wilson was right and we repeat the mistake of the 1990s at our peril. Like Iraq with the Gov't of Iran, we don't want Pakistan's more hard core fringes (Or an alliance of those fringes with China) to end up in control there.

Maybe Afghanistan being a success will rally other Pakistanis who oppose the hard core fundies and give htem some hope, as Iraq being a success as a democracy is influencing young Iranians.

> Iran steps up relief efforts after quakes kill 227:
>
> http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/1219787/1/.html

Wonder if US sent aid? Serious, stuff like that can help.
Ouch.
/Rowan and Martin: Very Interesting...

> Confused civilians swarm into Syria battle zone:
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/12/us-syria-crisis-city-idUSBRE87B0KW20120812

Ouch, with the side effect of jamming roads too I'd guess.
With Syria's regime weakened I wonder if we wil see more of this. The Syrian-Backed groups, and Syria's Government themselves, have killed a LOT of Lebanese people, over a number of decades. If Syria's government is weakened and goes, I have a feeling a lot of their proxies in Lebanon will want to find somewhere else to be, and ending up in the sneezer couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

> Israel tests SMS missile alerts as Iran chatter grows:
>
> http://www.france24.com/en/20120812-israel-tests-sms-missile-alerts-iran-chatter-grows

Big oh yeah.

> Amid talk of Iran strike, IDF set to reactivate long-rage intelligence
>
> drone:

Plus, I wonder what they aren't publicly announcing, but also doing.
Solidifying power and trying to tamp down the military. Good for democracy or a prelude to really bad stuff?
Speaking of couldn't happen to a nicer guy....
Go Denmark! If they paint them like those canned hams that would kick ass. Viking head for the win.
...and the Anonymous idiots are still trying to get the good guys killed. I wonder if it ever crosses their minds that if the other side (such as it is) ever won, they'd probably be the first thrown in jail or worse?
Sell ships to Taiwan it is good for the US economy and strengthens an ally. Heck maybe the Euros could sell some of their new Frigates as long as integration into the rest of the force there isn't a problem. Or some Perrys.
Yep... I still say hard core computer gamers are a good idea, that would be their dream job, though the higher ups seeing UAVs trying to fly the Grand Canyon like it's Star Wars or loop the Golden Gate Bridge might be a concern.

Not to mention the low passes over ComiCon to impress the girls. Then again, why not?

David