Af/Pak & Other News (5/7/2012)

1 view

dump...@hotmail.com

May 7, 2012, 1:13:08 PM5/7/12
Report: Secret US program releases Afghan insurgents in exchange for
peace pledges:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/07/11572371-report-secret-us-program-releases-afghan-insurgents-in-exchange-for-peace-pledges?lite

Qaeda chief is in Pakistan, says Clinton:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iGB_9q471JgVsQOrZ3w9laVTbk2g?docId=CNG.2aef3942c96503c9392d0b5f3a807d55.171

Osama bin Laden’s son hiding in Pakistan?:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/osama-bin-laden-s-son-hiding-in-pakistan_773754.html

Taliban kill 14 Pakistani troops, string up heads:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/taliban-kill-pakistani-troops-string-up-heads/article_8280949a-16ed-533a-8c18-cf69b44f5f3b.html

France Shake-up Alters NATO’s Afghan War Plan:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120507/DEFREG01/305070003/France-Shake-up-Alters-NATO-8217-s-Afghan-War-Plan?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Feeding Caesar:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htart/articles/20120507.aspx

How The CIA Broke Khalid Sheik Mohammed:

http://nation.foxnews.com/khalid-sheikh-mohammed/2012/05/06/how-cia-broke-khalid-sheik-mohammed

Ex-CIA official says tapes destroyed to prevent al Qaeda reprisals:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/01/us-usa-security-interrogation-idUSBRE84003D20120501

India has missile defense shield that protects two cities:

http://alert5.com/2012/05/07/india-has-missile-defense-shield-that-protects-two-cities/

Saudi Arabia is Israel’s last hope: report:

http://presstv.com/detail/239783.html

BAE Systems near $800 mln Saudi Hawk deal -report:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25376:bae-systems-near-800-mln-saudi-hawk-deal-report&catid=7:Industry&Itemid=116

At least 32 Yemeni troops killed in militant attack:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-yemen-attackbre8460ab-20120507,0,4249416.story

Syria holds 'farce' elections as rebels target Bashar Assad's tanks:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/07/11574282-syria-holds-farce-elections-as-rebels-target-bashar-assads-tanks?lite

War of words over Harpaz affair escalates:

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=268971

Attack on Italian nuke chief raises fears of anarchist violence:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/07/11577330-attack-on-italian-nuke-chief-raises-fears-of-anarchist-violence?lite

Defending the Philippines: Military Modernization and the Challenges
Ahead:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/135010/philippines%3A-military-modernization-and-challenges.html

Taiwan to receive four UH-60M Black Hawk helicopters:

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2012/05/taiwan-to-receive-four-uh-60m-black-hawk-helicopters0.html

JTRS advances ‘Cognitive Radio’ concept:

http://www.defencetalk.com/jtrs-advances-cognitive-radio-concept-42338/

DoD Tries Buying Pixels, Not Planes, For Flexible ISR; It Ain't
Leasing:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/05/07/dod-tries-buying-pixels-not-planes-for-quick-flexible-isr-it/

Anonymous attacks CIA and Interpol:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/anonymous-attacks-cia-and-interpol.aspx?pageID=238&nID=20194&NewsCatID=374

Debate Slows New U.S. Cyber Rules:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120507/DEFREG02/305070004/Debate-Slows-New-U-S-Cyber-Rules?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Virginia ANG F-22 pilots describe Raptor oxygen woes on 60 Minutes:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/05/virginia-ang-f-22-pilots-descr.html

Kerryn Offord

May 7, 2012, 5:26:58 PM5/7/12
On 5/8/2012 5:13 AM, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
<SNIP>

> How The CIA Broke Khalid Sheik Mohammed:
>
> http://nation.foxnews.com/khalid-sheikh-mohammed/2012/05/06/how-cia-broke-khalid-sheik-mohammed
>

> Ex-CIA official says tapes destroyed to prevent al Qaeda reprisals:
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/01/us-usa-security-interrogation-idUSBRE84003D20120501
> <SNIP>

Notice how these two articles sort of contradict each other.

In the first, sleep deprivation succeeded where water-boarding didn't..
(Which makes one wonder why they did it so often)

In the second,
"The CIA used the enhanced interrogation techniques on high-level
detainees at "black sites" or secret prisons outside the United States.

Critics, including some in Congress, say the tactics amounted to torture
on captured senior al Qaeda members and elicited little information.

But Rodriguez contends that the tactics were key to loosening the grip
of al Qaeda and, eventually, to finding and killing Osama bin Laden."

dott.Piergiorgio

May 7, 2012, 7:07:46 PM5/7/12
Il 07/05/2012 19:13, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
> Attack on Italian nuke chief raises fears of anarchist violence:
>
> http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/07/11577330-attack-on-italian-nuke-chief-raises-fears-of-anarchist-violence?lite

I will wish that was an anarchist one...

It's the old black beast of Italy, the Hydra of the lead years, and the
genoese head is the ugliest one....

Viva l' Italia,
dott. Piergiorgio.