Af/Pak & Other News (6/13/2013)

dump...@hotmail.com

Jun 13, 2013, 4:47:08 PM6/13/13
GAO Supports Super Tucano Pick for Afghanistan Air Force:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130613/DEFREG02/306130014/GAO-Supports-Super-Tucano-Pick-Afghanistan-Air-Force

Taliban shadow district governor killed in Afghan security operation:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2013/06/afghan_security_forces_killed.php

Six Afghan Policemen Shot Dead In Helmand Province:

http://www.rferl.org/content/afghan-police-killings-helmand/25015693.html

Kerry to visit Pakistan, India this month:

http://beta.dawn.com/news/1017999/kerry-to-visit-pakistan-this-month-foreign-office

Women rising: Pakistan's only war-ready female fighter pilot:

http://news.msn.com/world/women-rising-pakistans-only-war-ready-female-fighter-pilot

Chinese Spies Slip Into India:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htintel/articles/20130613.aspx

Thousands of Iranian Gmail Users Targeted in Attempted Hacks Before
Election:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/06/iran-hack-election/

Iran: The Sure Thing:

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/iran/articles/20130613.aspx

Iran rejects Russia’s offer to replace S-300 with Tor:

http://alert5.com/2013/06/13/iran-rejects-russias-offer-to-replace-s-300-with-tor/

Syrian Forces Seen Stepping Up Air Attacks on Rebels:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/world/middleeast/syrian-forces-seen-stepping-up-air-attacks-on-rebels.html

At least 93,000 people killed in Syria: UN:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/middle-east/At-least-93000-people-killed-in-Syria-UN/articleshow/20573470.cms

Starved for Arms, Syria Rebels Make Their Own:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/world/middleeast/starved-for-arms-syria-rebels-make-their-own.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Mohammed al Zawahiri rejects 'filthy market of democracy':

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2013/06/mohammed_al_zawahiri_1.php

Somalia: Chaotic And Dangerous Is The New Normal:

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/somalia/articles/20130613.aspx

Chinese aerospace renaissance underway?:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/06/chinese-aerospace-renaissance.html

NSA Whistleblower Resurfaces to Say U.S. Hacked Hundreds in Hong Kong
and China:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/06/snowden-says-nsa-hacked-china/

Sen. Chambliss: No Intel Reform Likely After NSA Leak Scandal:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130613/DEFREG02/306130013/Sen-Chambliss-No-Intel-Reform-Likely-After-NSA-Leak-Scandal

CIA deputy director Morell resigns:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/12/cia-deputy-director-morell-resigns/

Surveillance program thwarted attacks, US spy chief says:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Surveillance_program_thwarted_attacks_US_spy_chief_says_999.html

Raven Industries Persistent Surveillance Solution Supports U.S. Navy
South Maritime Operations:

http://ravenind.com/2013/06/10/raven-industries-persistent-surveillance-solution-supports-u-s-navy-south-maritime-operations/

US NRL develops combined fibre laser system:

http://www.strategicdefenceintelligence.com/article/My9BiXE8eMo/2013/06/13/us_nrl_develops_combined_fibre_laser_system/

Bell-Boeing awarded V-22 multi-year:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/06/bell-boeing-awarded-v-22-multi.html

Audit: Submarine Hunter Needs ‘Critical’ Testing:

http://defensetech.org/2013/06/12/pentagon-ig-p-8-poseidon-needs-critical-testing/

New Nukes Overshadowed By Massive Retirements:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htchem/articles/20130613.aspx

NSA Snooping Was Only the Beginning. Meet the Spy Chief Leading Us
Into Cyberwar:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/06/general-keith-alexander-cyberwar/

Classified information, whether or not already posted on public
websites, disclosed to the
media, or otherwise in the public domain remains classified and must
be treated as such until it is
declassified by an appropriate U.S. government authority.:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/dod/notice.pdf

Andrew Swallow

Jun 13, 2013, 7:56:19 PM6/13/13
On 13/06/2013 21:47, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Classified information, whether or not already posted on public
> websites, disclosed to the
> media, or otherwise in the public domain remains classified and must
> be treated as such until it is
> declassified by an appropriate U.S. government authority.:
>
> http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/dod/notice.pdf

I read that as meaning that they are searching for leakers by examining
the disks of computers connected to the internet.

Also when talking about public domain information you risk revealing the
redacted information.

Andrew Swallow

dott.Piergiorgio

Jun 14, 2013, 2:14:59 PM6/14/13
well, I will never forget the worst US classification/redaction SNAFU
re. Italy: that US report on the Calipari affaire whose redaction was
done thru an overlay, and all crack needed is removed that overlay from
the .pdf ... was a veritable field day in Italian jeering :D

also, I don't think that enforcing a burned classification is a wise
thing. re. public opinion, aside that will surely led to interesting
anonymous retaliation..

I can ask Fred, if he has his post still around, if he can repost his
post on the best hacking minds NOT inclined to work for US .mil and
defense industry (a serious weakness per se, having to fought the
brightest with the 2nd or 3rd brightest minds) for a renewed debate on
all those incidents ? as I pointed in past since the first "border
skirmish", this anonymous issue is rather interesting...

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.