Af/Pak & Other News (1/23/2012)

1 view

dump...@hotmail.com

Jan 23, 2012, 12:49:37 PM1/23/12
Pakistan rejects U.S. report on NATO attack:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/23/us-pakistan-usa-idUSTRE80M0YV20120123

Memo scandal witness refuses to travel to Pakistan:

http://news.yahoo.com/memo-scandal-witness-refuses-travel-pakistan-080857164.html

Pakistan clamps down on German spy office in Peshawar:

http://www.defencetalk.com/pakistan-clamps-down-on-german-spy-office-in-peshawar-39976/

Why They Fight:

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/afghan/articles/20120123.aspx

India sails new nuclear submarine home:

http://news.yahoo.com/india-sails-nuclear-submarine-home-002834034.html;_ylt=AsGkkwKSLesUJulf4hVWDZ8Bxg8F;_ylu=X3oDMTQzbmttOW5wBG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBXb3JsZFNGIEFzaWFTU0YEcGtnAzYzZjI0NjExLWM0MmQtMzFkZS05N2FiLTFmMjkzMjFmZDk4OQRwb3MDMjAEc2VjA3RvcF9zdG9yeQR2ZXIDNDgwZTEyMTAtNDViZS0xMWUxLWFiN2UtM2NhYmFjMDg0MWM1;_ylg=X3oDMTF1N2kwZmpmBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZHxhc2lhBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Newt’s Plan to Overthrow Iran: Bombs, Hackers, Popes and Oil:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/01/newt-vs-iran/

EU adopts Iran oil embargo amid 'Lockerbie' fear:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/23/10214818-eu-adopts-iran-oil-embargo-amid-lockerbie-fear

British, French ships join US carrier in Strait of Hormuz:

http://www.defencetalk.com/british-french-ships-join-us-carrier-in-strait-of-hormuz-39956/

First Iraqi F-16 pilot starts training Jan. 23:

http://alert5.com/2012/01/23/first-iraqi-f-16-pilot-starts-training-jan-23/

Iranian trucks carrying missile materials intercepted en route to
Syria:

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-269092-iranian-trucks-carrying-missile-materials-intercepted-en-route-to-syria.html

Hezbollah, Iran preparing for ‘day after’ Assad:

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=254730

Syria rejects Arab League peace plan, brands it a 'conspiracy':

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46096728/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/

'150,000 mass for funerals' near Syrian capital:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iX_P7w4HwSSQZ7LN9970V3YeAz1w?docId=CNG.f2aa3559729718e5b4dffcdfe0b84c2b.651

Syria Signs $550M Deal for Russian Jets: Report:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120123/DEFREG03/301230004/Syria-Signs-550M-Deal-Russian-Jets-Report?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Oman requests Typhoon buy from BAE:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/oman-requests-typhoon-buy-from-bae-367228/

Mutinous troops demand Yemen Air Force chief ouster:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gVg-d6B_ZzwygZ8RAbfPMPLfvGqA?docId=CNG.f2aa3559729718e5b4dffcdfe0b84c2b.4b1

Fire Scout sets sail for six month deployment to western Africa:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22768:fire-scout-sets-sail-for-six-month-deployment-to-western-africa&catid=56:diplomacy-a-peace&Itemid=111

Interpol faces legal threat for helping oppressive regimes hunt
dissidents:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/23/10167327-interpol-faces-legal-threat-for-helping-oppressive-regimes-hunt-dissidents

Kadhafi diehards 'capture Bani Walid' city:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gX29M1ZZskcZxUcGT4Z0RgYkOkww?docId=CNG.019fba2fc3e3a19df21e46d42102fda8.a11

Russia To Build Sim-Equipped Training Center:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120118/TSJ01/301180007/Russia-Build-Sim-Equipped-Training-Center?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

UN rights chief: Charge or release Gitmo detainees:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/23/10216541-un-rights-chief-charge-or-release-gitmo-detainees

Hermes 900 for Colombia:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a8bc17b87-47c7-4cf9-9535-f4273d6ab83a

Army Eyes Kiowa Coffers To Fund Replacement:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/01/19/army-eyes-kiowa-coffers-to-fund-replacement/

V-22: Good-Enough Beats On Better:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htmurph/articles/20120123.aspx

U.S. to keep 11 aircraft carriers:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57363407/u.s-to-keep-11-aircraft-carriers/

Sikorsky and Suppliers Will Self-Fund Raider Development:

http://www.ainonline.com/?q=aviation-news/ain-defense-perspective/2012-01-20/sikorsky-and-suppliers-will-self-fund-raider-development

'Saber' Bomb Takes A Stab At Shadow UAS:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/01/19/saber-bomb-takes-a-stab-at-marines-shadow-uas/

Argus One unmanned airship demonstrated at Nevada Test Site:

http://alert5.com/2012/01/21/argus-one-unmanned-airship-demonstrated-at-nevada-test-site/

New Maritime Surveillance Aircraft Unveiled:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3ad9fc64b5-87ca-408a-8352-d2346878ebce&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Bringing Hollywood to the DoD:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120120/TSJ01/301200011/Bringing-Hollywood-DoD?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

bill

Jan 23, 2012, 3:04:48 PM1/23/12
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 09:49:37 -0800, dumpster4 wrote:

> Interpol faces legal threat for helping oppressive regimes hunt
> dissidents:
>
> http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/23/10167327-interpol-faces-
legal-threat-for-helping-oppressive-regimes-hunt-dissidents

Why is anyone surprised at the evil tricks of an organisation that once
had Reinhard Heydrich as its president and whose offices were all in
Berlin from 1938 to 1945 and which always refused to get involved in
chasing Nazi war criminals?

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...

Dennis

Jan 23, 2012, 10:03:35 PM1/23/12
bill wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 09:49:37 -0800, dumpster4 wrote:
>>

>> Interpol faces legal threat for helping oppressive regimes hunt
>> dissidents:
>>
>> http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/23/10167327-interpol-face
>> s-
> legal-threat-for-helping-oppressive-regimes-hunt-dissidents
>
> Why is anyone surprised at the evil tricks of an organisation that
> once had Reinhard Heydrich as its president and whose offices were all
> in Berlin from 1938 to 1945 and which always refused to get involved
> in chasing Nazi war criminals?

I hadn't been aware of this! Nebe and Kaltenbrunner also shared the
honor.

Thus says Wiki:

"In order to maintain as politically neutral a role as possible,
Interpol's constitution forbids it to undertake any interventions or
activities of a political, military, religious, or racial nature.[3] Its
work focuses primarily on public safety, terrorism, organized crime,
crimes against humanity, environmental crime, genocide, war crimes,
piracy, illicit drug production, drug trafficking, weapons smuggling,
human trafficking, money laundering, child pornography, white-collar
crime, computer crime, intellectual property crime and corruption."

By this reading, it ought not to cooperate with certain governments!

"Until the 1980s Interpol did not intervene in the prosecution of Nazi
war criminals in accordance with Article 3 of its Constitution
forbidding intervention in 'political' matters.[9] However, it has
issued arrest warrants for former country leaders like Zine El Abidine
Ben Ali and Hosni Mubarak despite Article 3, on the grounds that they
were accused of corruption (particularly embezzlement)."

Can't tolerate embezzlement, but a little thing like crimes against
humanity...

Dennis

Dennis

Jan 23, 2012, 10:20:02 PM1/23/12
dumpster wrote:

After all the trouble Nerpa has had for the Russians, I wonder how well
she'll do when the Indians take the keys? No doubt there are spies for the
Americans in the Indian crew.

> India sails new nuclear submarine home:
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/india-sails-nuclear-submarine-home-002834034.html
> ;_ylt=AsGkkwKSLesUJulf4hVWDZ8Bxg8F;_ylu=X3oDMTQzbmttOW5wBG1pdANUb3BTdG9
> yeSBXb3JsZFNGIEFzaWFTU0YEcGtnAzYzZjI0NjExLWM0MmQtMzFkZS05N2FiLTFmMjkzMj
> FmZDk4OQRwb3MDMjAEc2VjA3RvcF9zdG9yeQR2ZXIDNDgwZTEyMTAtNDViZS0xMWUxLWFiN
> 2UtM2NhYmFjMDg0MWM1;_ylg=X3oDMTF1N2kwZmpmBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3
> RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZHxhc2lhBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Israel may not need to worry; we'll use a Newtron bomb on Iran! :-) But
don't count on it.

bill

Jan 24, 2012, 3:36:39 AM1/24/12
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 03:20:02 +0000, Dennis wrote:

> dumpster wrote:
>
> After all the trouble Nerpa has had for the Russians, I wonder how well
> she'll do when the Indians take the keys? No doubt there are spies for
> the Americans in the Indian crew.

Why bother spying?

The US Navy and the Indian Navy do joint exercises.

I imagine that in due course they'll get invited on board for a visit.

The Russians can't say who is and who is not allowed on board another
navy's ship.