Af/Pak & Other News (4/3/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Apr 3, 2012, 1:59:42 PM4/3/12
Afghan militants poison, attack police; 6 killed:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/afghanistan/story/2012-04-03/afghanistan-attack/53965876/1?csp=34news

Security failures in Afghan shootings: NATO:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Security_failures_in_Afghan_shootings_NATO_999.html

US To Amend Afghan Plane Bid, No Full Re-do:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/awx/2012/04/03/awx_04_03_2012_p0-443468.xml&headline=USToAmendAfghanPlaneBid,NoFull
Re-do&channel=defense

Wanted by US for $10 million: Hafiz Saeed, mastermind of Mumbai
attack:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/03/10994015-wanted-by-us-for-10-million-hafiz-saeed-mastermind-of-mumbai-attack

Powerful Senators Demand Giant Spy Blimp:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/04/hot-air/

Israel and Iran:

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2012/04/israel-and-iran.html

Iranian Navy Troops Arrest 13 Pirates after Armed Clash:

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=9101140164

Reports: 43 al-Qaida militants killed by forces in Yemen:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/03/10998847-reports-43-al-qaida-militants-killed-by-forces-in-yemen

Syria steps up assault as UN moves to send monitors:

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/afp/syria-steps-up-assault-as-un-moves-to-send-monitors/509076

Bashar al-Assad cannot survive for long, his uncle says:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17594988

Report: Cabinet hears 300 would die in Iran strike:

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News/Article.aspx?id=264566

Prince William burned in effigy on Falklands War anniversary:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/04/argentina-falklands-anniversary-tension-burning-effigy.html

Sat Spies North Korea Readying Rocket Launch:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/04/sat-spies-rocket-launch/

Colombia 'milestone' as FARC frees captives after over a decade:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/03/10995443-colombia-milestone-as-farc-frees-captives-after-over-a-decade

'Smart' uniforms ahead for U.K. soldiers:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Smart_uniforms_ahead_for_UK_soldiers_999.html

Honecker widow Margot defends communist East Germany:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17595526

FBI: Russian Honeypot Tried To Sex Obama Cabinet Official:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/04/anna-chapman-cabinet/

Russia's Defense Ministry Wants Strike Drone:

http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20120402/172548326.html

AeroVironment Unveils Modular Gimbaled Sensor Payload on RQ-11B Raven
Small UAV:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/AeroVironment_Unveils_Modular_Gimbaled_Sensor_Payload_on_RQ_11B_Raven_Small_UAV_999.html

Shady Companies With Ties to Israel Wiretap the U.S. for the NSA:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/04/shady-companies-nsa/

Cyber Defence Slow Due to Generation Gap: U.S. Official:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120402/DEFREG01/304020003/Cyber-Defence-Slow-Due-Generation-Gap-U-S-Official?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

New Raytheon Guided Bomb Completes Initial Flight Test:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/New_Raytheon_Guided_Bomb_Completes_Initial_Flight_Test_999.html

EADS Bid to Replace the Kiowa Warrior:

http://defensetech.org/2012/04/02/eads-bid-to-replace-the-kiowa-warrior/

Robots Conquer Fires, Jungle, Sandstorms in New Navy Training Ground:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/04/navy-robot-gym/

Latest F-22 upgrade brings ability to jam enemy radars:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/in-focus-latest-f-22-upgrade-brings-ability-to-jam-enemy-radars-370192/

SolomonW

Apr 4, 2012, 7:52:18 AM4/4/12
On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 10:59:42 -0700 (PDT), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Powerful Senators Demand Giant Spy Blimp:
>
> http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/04/hot-air/

A blimp is a comparative easy target for a missile.

Bill

Apr 4, 2012, 8:04:17 AM4/4/12
In article <d68b52vo93w1$.1doe5jim...@40tude.net>,
Solo...@citi.com says...
Depends on how it's guided.

--
William Black

When you hear the words 'Our people are our greatest asset' then it's
time to leave.

Dean

Apr 4, 2012, 3:22:26 PM4/4/12
On Apr 4, 8:04 am, Bill <blackuse...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <d68b52vo93w1$.1doe5jim9w675....@40tude.net>,
> Solom...@citi.com says...
>

> > On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 10:59:42 -0700 (PDT), dumpst...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Powerful Senators Demand Giant Spy Blimp:
>
> > >http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/04/hot-air/
>
> > A blimp is a comparative easy target for a missile.
>
> Depends on how it's guided.
>
> --
> William Black
>
> When you hear the words 'Our people are our greatest asset' then it's
> time to leave.

Yes, I'd imagine a blimp is not much of a radar target. And the
engines could certainly be shrouded to mask IR.

dump...@hotmail.com

Apr 4, 2012, 4:15:42 PM4/4/12
On Apr 4, 12:22 pm, Dean <damark...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I'd imagine a blimp is not much of a radar target.  And the
> engines could certainly be shrouded to mask IR.- Hide quoted text -

As long as the Blimp operates above the shoulder-fired SAM
envelope, what can guerrillas do about it?

SolomonW

Apr 6, 2012, 3:06:25 AM4/6/12
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The guerrilla have access to some arms suppliers who can get sophisticated
surface-to-air missiles.

Bill

Apr 6, 2012, 7:37:53 AM4/6/12
In article <v8w2gbj2f5xk.z...@40tude.net>, Solo...@citi.com
says...
The evidence from Afghanistan seems to indicate that they don't.