Af/Pak & Other News (6/25/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Jun 25, 2012, 1:55:15 PM6/25/12
Militants kill 13 Pakistan troops, behead 7:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/06/25/militants-kills-6-pakistan-troops-near-afghanistan/

From asset who helped CIA find Osama bin Laden to solitary cell in
Pakistan:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47944034/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

Buddha attacked by Taliban gets facelift in Pakistan:

http://dawn.com/2012/06/25/buddha-attacked-by-taliban-gets-facelift-in-pakistan/

Mumbai attacks 'handler' arrested in India:

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/afp/mumbai-attacks-handler-arrested-in-india/526713

Iraq faces painful legacy of mass graves:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Iraq_faces_painful_legacy_of_mass_graves_999.html

Iraq orders Voice of America, 43 other media outlets to close:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/25/12393556-iraq-orders-voice-of-america-43-other-media-outlets-to-close&lite

Syria warns NATO against action over Turkish plane:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/06/25/syria-crisis-idINL2E8HP1A520120625

Turkey account of jet downing contradicts Syria's:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/middleeast/la-fg-turkey-syria-jet-20120625,0,4893302.story

Three more Syrian pilots defect to Jordan, more expected to follow
suit:

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/06/24/222501.html

Report: Syrian general, dozens of other soldiers defect to Turkey:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/25/12395466-report-syrian-general-dozens-of-other-soldiers-defect-to-turkey?lite

Jet Incident Shows Syria's Defences Capable, Jumpy:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/136289/jet-incident-shows-syria%27s-air-defenses-are-capable-but-jumpy.html

IDF arrests 12 soldiers for assisting drug smugglers:

http://www.jpost.com/NationalNews/Article.aspx?id=275170

Did the US launch a drone strike on AQIM in northern Mali?:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/06/did_the_us_launch_a_drone_stri.php

Climate Studies Show: Somali Pirates Take Summer Vacations, Too:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/somali-vaca/

Use of Drones On the Rise In Germany:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/136278/use-of-drones-on-the-rise-in-germany.html

Putin Wants a Darpa of His Own:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/darpaski/

Stealth Fighters Are Hard: Modernization of China’s Aerial Arsenal
Encounters Obstacles:

http://www.offiziere.ch/?p=8521

Canada Ramps Up Arctic Arsenal:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120625/DEFREG02/306250001/Canada-Ramps-Up-Arctic-Arsenal?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Cyber Warfare Treaty: DOA, Thanks to President and Pentagon:

http://battleland.blogs.time.com/2012/06/25/cyber-warfare-treaty-doa-thanks-to-president-and-pentagon/

LulzSec suspects plead guilty to DDoS attacks:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/25/lulzsec_court_hearing/

USN developing Flexrotor UAV with small launch, recovery footprint:

http://alert5.com/2012/06/25/usn-developing-flexrotor-uav-with-small-launch-recovery-footprint/

Winning The ATF:

http://www.afa.org/mitchell/reports/MP9_ATF_0612.pdf

Submarines: 60 Years Of Stuff We Can't Talk About:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsub/articles/20120625.aspx

EXCLUSIVE: Drones vulnerable to terrorist hijacking, researchers say:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/06/25/drones-vulnerable-to-terrorist-hijacking-researchers-say/#ixzz1yopyHezO

Bizarre Navy 'Flip Ship' Turns 50:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/06/25/bizarre-navy-flip-ship-turns-50/

SolomonW

Jun 26, 2012, 7:00:10 AM6/26/12
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:55:15 -0700 (PDT), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> From asset who helped CIA find Osama bin Laden to solitary cell in
> Pakistan:
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47944034/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

As the Pakistani pointed out, for a similar crime Jonathan Pollard is in a
US jail also in solitary.

Andrew Swallow

Jun 26, 2012, 12:34:50 PM6/26/12
The location of Osama bin Laden was not a national secret of Pakistan,
unless Pakistan is fighting a war with the USA.

It was also the duty of every policeman in Pakistan to report the
location of bin Laden and to try to arrest him.

Andrew Swallow

Dean Markley

Jun 26, 2012, 2:29:06 PM6/26/12
Wh
What was similar about the Pollard case? Pollard was a spy giving away US secrets.

Jim Wilkins

Jun 26, 2012, 4:09:39 PM6/26/12

"Dean Markley" <dama...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> As the Pakistani pointed out, for a similar crime Jonathan Pollard
>> is in a
>> US jail also in solitary.
>
> What was similar about the Pollard case? Pollard was a spy giving
> away US secrets.

Did they just admit that bin Laden's hideout was a Pakistani
government secret?

Dean Markley

Jun 27, 2012, 7:37:13 AM6/27/12
That's what I was wondering.