Af/Pak & Other News (6/9/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Jun 9, 2012, 9:37:02 PM6/9/12
'Pakistan refusal to act prompted US drone surge':

http://zeenews.india.com/news/south-asia/pakistan-refusal-to-act-prompted-us-drone-surge_780566.html

The kill chain: Australia's drone war:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-08/australias-drone-war-in-afghanistan/4058058

U.S., Pakistan beginning to look more like enemies:

http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_20822087/u-s-pakistan-beginning-look-more-like-enemies

Veiled suicide bomber kills four French soldiers in Afghanistan:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-rt-afghanistan-soldiers-update-5-tvpixl5e8h92s9-20120609,0,2561470.story

Indian Carrier Begins Sea Trials:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120608/DEFREG03/306080005/Indian-Carrier-Begins-Sea-Trials?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

'Battle is in Damascus' as Syrian tanks fire in 12-hour exchange:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/09/12140174-battle-is-in-damascus-as-syrian-tanks-fire-in-12-hour-exchange?lite

Likud MK: Israeli doctors treating Syrians wounded in uprising:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/likud-mk-israeli-doctors-treating-syrians-wounded-in-uprising-1.435353

Celebrities join Peres effort to free Pollard:

http://www.jpost.com/ArtsAndCulture/Arts/Article.aspx?id=273283

War crimes court says 4 staff held in Libya:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/06/09/international/i125815D06.DTL

Al Qaeda Offshoot Offers Camels for Obama's Head, Hens for Hillary
Clinton's:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/al-qaeda-offshoot-offers-camels-obamas-head-hens/story?id=16532671#.T9P58cX7HIU

Poland plans to buy between 123 and 205 UAVs by 2018:

http://alert5.com/2012/06/09/poland-plans-to-buy-between-123-and-205-uavs-by-2018/

Germany reveals secret techie soldier unit, new cyberweapons:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/08/germany_cyber_offensive_capability/

TAI prepares show day for Anka, T-129 copter:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/tai-prepares-show-day-for-anka-t-129-copter.aspx?pageID=238&nID=22733&NewsCatID=345

Romania could be forced to keep MiG-29s till 2018:

http://alert5.com/2012/06/10/romania-could-be-forced-to-keep-mig-29s-till-2018/

Canada Selects Textron Systems for Tactical Armored patrol Vehicles
(TAPV):

http://defense-update.com/20120609_canada-selects-textron-systems-msv-for-tactical-armored-patrol-vehicles-tapv.html

Negotiations Begin On Fate Of Strategic Jewel Diego Garcia:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/06/08/negotiations-begin-on-fate-of-strategic-jewel-diego-garcia-us-c/

Flame gets suicide command:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/07/flame_suicide_command/

U.S. Regional Commanders Get New Cyber Muscle:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120609/DEFREG02/306090001/U-S-Regional-Commanders-Get-New-Cyber-Muscle?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Lockheed Martin tests Miniature Hit-to-Kill interceptor for C-RAM
solution:

http://alert5.com/2012/06/09/lockheed-martin-tests-miniature-hit-to-kill-interceptor-for-c-ram-solution/

Industry: Unconventional Methods Needed to Recruit Cyberwarriors:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=7c996cd7-cbb4-4018-baf8-8825eada7aa2&ID=360

Microsoft 'hardens' Windows Update from Flame penetration:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/07/microsoft_combats_flame_with_additional_hardening/

Big Army: Soldiers Free to Use PMAGs:

http://kitup.military.com/2012/06/big-army-soldiers-free-pmags.html

USMC hopes new method for tracking fatigue life will help extend
Harrier to 2030:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/usmc-hopes-new-method-for-tracking-fatigue-life-will-help-extend-harrier-to-2030-372797/

Army War Game Tackles Existential Question: Why Ground Forces?:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=812

Rats with GPS backpacks prepare to sniff out landmines:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/08/gps_rat_landmine_sniffers/

Vacuum Cleaners Take Center Stage In USS Miami Nuke Sub Fire:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/06/08/vacuum-cleaners-take-center-stage-in-uss-miami-nuke-sub-fire/?icid=trending1

Tomahawk’s Chops: xGM-109 Block IV Cruise Missiles:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Block-IV-xGM-109-Tomahawk-Chopped-07423/

Police called after Romney's email and Dropbox accounts cracked:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/06/romney_hacked_hotmail_gmail/

Boeing Developing JDAM Wing Kits, Tripling Range:

http://defensetech.org/2012/06/08/boeing-developing-jdam-wing-kits-tripling-range/

A visit to Boeing's Super Hornet plant... and full-dome sim:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/06/a-visit-to-boeing-super-hornet.html

dott.Piergiorgio

Jun 10, 2012, 6:27:29 AM6/10/12
I wonder about the delivery voyage....

taking the now more open NE passage is the most interesting, esp. if
some diplomatic reason can be built for passing thru the La Perouse and
Tsushima strait instead of the more direct route E of Japan, and the
same point apply for the Tsushima-Singapore straits leg

Gene will be delighted about a passage thru the Roaring Forties, but I
wonder if Indians take seriously the idea of crossing notoriously bad
waters aboard a just-delivered *russian-built* warship...

For sure, I don't think is prudent a Mediterrannean crossing, the
current situation requires a non-stop crossing from west of Gibraltar to
Port Said... someone can think that is a great idea showing that russian
workmanship is rather shabby and loose some nuts & bolts underwater aft ;)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Bill

Jun 10, 2012, 8:15:55 AM6/10/12
In article <lE_Ar.179842$GZ3....@tornado.fastwebnet.it>,
chied...@ask.me says...

> Il 10/06/2012 03:37, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
> > Indian Carrier Begins Sea Trials:
> >
> > http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120608/DEFREG03/306080005/Indian-Carrier-Begins-Sea-Trials?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE
>
> I wonder about the delivery voyage....

I doubt it'll sink...

> Gene will be delighted about a passage thru the Roaring Forties, but I
> wonder if Indians take seriously the idea of crossing notoriously bad
> waters aboard a just-delivered *russian-built* warship...

My experience of officers in Indian service is that they're highly
profession and highly trained and very aware of any environment they're
travelling in.

I'd be extremely surprised if they deliver the ship before November
because of weather conditions in India.

I assume she'll be berthed in Mumbai because that's where the big air
training centre is.

> For sure, I don't think is prudent a Mediterrannean crossing, the
> current situation requires a non-stop crossing from west of Gibraltar to
> Port Said... someone can think that is a great idea showing that russian
> workmanship is rather shabby and loose some nuts & bolts underwater aft ;)

I somehow doubt that is the case. The Indians have paid a very great
deal of money for this thing and one reason it is late is because the
Russians had problems making the thing work properly.

I imagine the next generation of Indian carriers will almost certainly
be of US origin, if the US doesn't wear them out first...

Oh, I imagine the Chinese will be spitting feathers...

Especially when the Indians start operating their nice new shiny MiG
29K's off it...

Well, assuming they don't crash most of them, like they did with the
Sea Harriers...

--
William Black

When you hear the words 'Our people are our greatest asset' then it's
time to leave.

Yama

Jun 10, 2012, 4:45:47 PM6/10/12
In sci.military.naval dott.Piergiorgio <chied...@ask.me> wrote:
: Il 10/06/2012 03:37, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
: > Indian Carrier Begins Sea Trials:
: >
: > http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120608/DEFREG03/306080005/Indian-Carrier-Begins-Sea-Trials?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

: I wonder about the delivery voyage....

: Gene will be delighted about a passage thru the Roaring Forties, but I
: wonder if Indians take seriously the idea of crossing notoriously bad
: waters aboard a just-delivered *russian-built* warship...

Why? They have bought and sailed many Russian-built warships. It's true that the class
has a history of machinery problems, but one would expect that many months of sea trials
would manifest major issues.

A glorious sight! :)

http://pics.livejournal.com/kuleshovoleg/pic/000h63g3

Profile of the ship: