Af/Pak & Other News (3/26/2013)

dump...@hotmail.com

Mar 26, 2013, 12:47:38 PM3/26/13
Afghanistan car bomb attack injures 10 British troops:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/26/10-troops-injured-afghanistan-bomb

5 Police Officers Killed in Bomb Attack in Afghanistan:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/world/asia/5-police-officers-killed-in-bomb-attack-in-afghanistan.html

“Dwarfed by the Magnitude of the Problems”:

http://nation.time.com/2013/03/26/dwarfed-by-the-magnitude-of-the-problems/

Finding Post-War Work For 20,000 MRAPs:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/articles/20130326.aspx

Saudi Arabia says spy ring worked for Iran:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/03/26/saudi-arabia-spy-iran/2020799/

Syria opposition asks US for Patriot missile protection:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/damascus-slams-arab-league-seat-transfer-to-rebels-.aspx?pageID=238&nID=43666&NewsCatID=352

Lebanon crisis swells over security chief:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Lebanon_crisis_swells_over_security_chief_999.html

Prisoner X of Israel Is Said to Have Exposed Top Spies:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/26/world/middleeast/israels-prisoner-x-said-to-have-exposed-spies.html?_r=0

US continues with Mali support flights:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29952:us-continues-with-mali-support-flights&catid=35:Aerospace&Itemid=107

UK tests new self-protection system on Lynx helicopter:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/uk-tests-new-self-protection-system-on-lynx-helicopter-383853/

German neo-Nazi cell bigger than previously thought:

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-world-news/german-neo-nazi-cell-bigger-than-previously-thought-1.511705

Italian Foreign Minister Resigns Over Return of Marines to India:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130326/DEFREG01/303260019/Italian-Foreign-Minister-Resigns-Over-Return-Marines-India?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

LIMA: Air Tractor goes on the offensive:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/lima-air-tractor-goes-on-the-offensive-383891/

Australia-Based U.S. Radar To Watch China Launches:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_03_25_2013_p33-561203.xml

North Korea orders artillery to be combat ready, targeting U.S. bases:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/26/us-korea-north-combat-idUSBRE92P06520130326

N. Korea threatens Hawaii, US mainland:

http://dawn.com/2013/03/26/n-korea-threatens-hawaii-us-mainland/

Photo: High resolution photos of J-20 carrying missile:

http://alert5.com/2013/03/26/photo-high-resolution-photos-of-j-20-carrying-missile/

New Chinese bomber a flying wing?:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/03/new-chinese-bomber-a-flying-wi.html

She’s Just Not That Into You: Air Force Warns of Online ‘Sextortion’:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/03/air-force-sextortion/

General Dynamics Awarded $26 Million for MK46 Naval Weapon Systems:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/prnewswire-defense-news.html?doc=201303261000PR_NEWS_USPR_____PH83554&showRelease=1&dir=0&industries=ARO&andorquestion=OR&&passDir=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,15,17,34

MLP 1 Successfully Completes Builder’s Sea Trials:

http://www.defencetalk.com/mlp-1-successfully-completes-builders-sea-trials-47262/

Whiteman Marks Three Combat Anniversaries for B-2:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/143734/the-b_2%E2%80%99s-three-combat-anniversaries.html

White House Can’t Afford Its Shapeshifting Alien Reptile Guards:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/03/secret-service-reptile-aliens/

dump...@hotmail.com

Mar 26, 2013, 2:29:54 PM3/26/13
First the Russians want to build a B-2 knockoff:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/russia-to-replace-current-bombers-with-subsonic-flying-wing-383065/

Now the Chinese. I guess India will be next.

Unless the RAF wants to get back into the heavy bomber biz........

Bill

Mar 26, 2013, 3:16:01 PM3/26/13
Now why on earth would either India or the UK need a heavy bomber?

Both have missile systems that are perfectly adequate.

dump...@hotmail.com

Mar 26, 2013, 3:46:58 PM3/26/13
On Mar 26, 12:16 pm, Bill <blackuse...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now why on earth would either India or the UK need a heavy bomber?
>
> Both have missile systems that are perfectly adequate.

So do Russia & China........

Bill

Mar 26, 2013, 6:12:05 PM3/26/13
But neither India nor the UK are hegenomising aggressive powers
looking to expand their territory.

India is forced to pacifism by their constitution and sending troops
to operate on foreign soil except in self defence can be interpreted
as a crime.

This is why Indian representation in peace keeping forces is almost
always paramilitary police.

The UK tried to rule the world, but gave it up after a bit to
concentrate on parties...

dump...@hotmail.com

Mar 28, 2013, 2:49:24 AM3/28/13
On Mar 26, 3:12 pm, Bill <blackuse...@gmail.com> wrote:
India shares a border with one of those "hegenomising aggressive
powers"
and fought a war with them in the past. They might want to build a
nuclear triad in the future to ensure the robustness of their second-
strike
capability.

Also remember that the UK, as well as other European nations went to
war in Libya, where they were helped out bu US heavy bomber trikes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368337/Libya-crisis-B2-stealth-bombers-25-hour-flight-Missouri-Tripoli.html

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/07/two-bombers-24-hours-100-libyan-targets-destroyed-ready/

If the Europeans want to engage in further military ops in Africa &
maybe
elsewhere, they might want to invest in heavy bombers of their own to
reduce their dependence on the US.

Bill

Mar 28, 2013, 7:51:09 AM3/28/13
On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 23:49:24 -0700 (PDT), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

>On Mar 26, 3:12�pm, Bill <blackuse...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >So do Russia & China........
>>
>> But neither India nor the UK are hegenomising aggressive powers
>> looking to expand their territory.
>>
>> India is forced to pacifism by their constitution and sending troops
>> to operate on foreign soil except in self defence can be interpreted
>> as a crime.
>>
>> This is why Indian representation in peace keeping forces is almost
>> always paramilitary police.
>>
>> The UK tried to rule the world, �but gave it up after a bit to
>> concentrate on parties...
>
>India shares a border with one of those "hegenomising aggressive
>powers"
>and fought a war with them in the past.

They might want to build a
>nuclear triad in the future to ensure the robustness of their second-
>strike
>capability.

True, and China keeps on supplying terrorists within their country.

How would a nuclear triad help?

>Also remember that the UK, as well as other European nations went to
>war in Libya, where they were helped out bu US heavy bomber trikes:

Now that really didn't end well...

>If the Europeans want to engage in further military ops in Africa &
>maybe
>elsewhere, they might want to invest in heavy bombers of their own to
>reduce their dependence on the US.

Europe rather likes being able to drag the USA into wars more or less
at will.

It saves the two year wait we got used to between 1914 and 1941...

dott.Piergiorgio

Mar 28, 2013, 8:15:57 AM3/28/13
Il 28/03/2013 07:49, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:

> Also remember that the UK, as well as other European nations went to
> war in Libya, where they were helped out bu US heavy bomber trikes:
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368337/Libya-crisis-B2-stealth-bombers-25-hour-flight-Missouri-Tripoli.html
>
> http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/07/two-bombers-24-hours-100-libyan-targets-destroyed-ready/

I remain on my perspective that in the last iteration of central Med
disagreements the Navy most timid wasn't the Italian one. having
personally seen USS bush doing "fleet in being" in the same gulf the
Italian BBs of yore does "fleet in being" in the precedent Central Med
disagreement don't help me in admiring the proven and unquestionable
USN's fighting prowess.

I can even better understand Italian people's disappointment during
WWII, more than all the recollections &c. I have around, having
experienced the initial elation in seeing her arrival in theatre
(actually in the usual USN CVN mooring place in Naples gulf) followed by
the bewilderment in noticing her quiet routine until the end of her TOD....

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Jim Wilkins

Mar 28, 2013, 9:48:27 AM3/28/13
"dott.Piergiorgio" <chied...@ask.me> wrote in message
Don't blame the USN for the Administration's (in)actions. The Dems
proclaim that they will replace military force with diplomacy, then
show themselves incompetent at both.
jsw

dott.Piergiorgio

Mar 28, 2013, 1:39:39 PM3/28/13
Actually the US administration/military issue is the specular opposite
of the Italian one, but the end results, as pointed, is the same...
there's signs of the opposite excesses re. the bush era, but are
consequences of said era (Italy, OTOH,still has his post-ham
military/political relationship issues since its execution in 1945)