Af/Pak & Other News (12/6/2011)

1 view

dump...@hotmail.com

Dec 6, 2011, 1:32:23 PM12/6/11
'Grim new precedent': Dozens die as sectarian violence erupts in
Kabul:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/06/9240718-grim-new-precedent-dozens-die-as-sectarian-violence-erupts-in-kabul

Revealed: Karzai's secret plans to cling on to power in Afghanistan:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/revealed-karzais-secret-plans-to-cling-on-to-power-in-afghanistan-6272835.html

Haqqani leader responsible for truck bomb captured in Afghanistan:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-12/05/c_131288557.htm

US warned Pakistan not to play ‘Russian roulette’ with India:

http://www.firstpost.com/politics/us-warned-pakistan-not-to-play-russian-roulette-with-india-146995.html

Afghanistan opens bids for gold, copper deposits to generate revenue
for war-torn nation:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/industries/afghanistan-opens-bids-for-gold-copper-deposits-to-generate-revenue-for-war-torn-nation/2011/12/06/gIQANLHeYO_story.html

Norway to withdraw most troops from Afghanistan in 2013:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Norway_to_withdraw_most_troops_from_Afghanistan_in_2013_999.html

Other news:

U.S. Sources Confirm: RQ-170 Crashed in Iran:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a977a93d7-0507-4b49-98d0-682a59ab2152&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Downed drone was on CIA mission:

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/06/downed-drone-was-on-cia-mission/

Saudi may join nuclear arms race: ex-spy chief:

http://www.defencetalk.com/saudi-may-join-nuclear-arms-race-ex-spy-chief-38728/

Dozens of bodies dumped in Syrian city, activists say:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/06/9243334-dozens-of-bodies-dumped-in-syrian-city-activists-say

Barak: Israel tracking Hezbollah arms transfers:

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=248322

Father of YouTube Terrorist Preaches Hate Online, Too:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/12/awlaki-father/

Hezbollah chief makes rare public appearance:

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/06/9243228-hezbollah-chief-makes-rare-public-appearance

Suicide bomber strikes near Turkish embassy in Mogadishu:

http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFTRE7B512Q20111206

China invited to set up anti-piracy base in Seychelles:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21843:china-invited-to-set-up-anti-piracy-base-in-seychelles&catid=51:Sea&Itemid=106

France Willing to Help Libyans With Training:

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=8476751&c=EUR&s=LAN

Kuwaiti pilot recounts ordeal as POW:

http://www.arabtimesonline.com/NewsDetails/tabid/96/smid/414/ArticleID/176888/reftab/36/t/Kuwaiti-pilot-recounts-ordeal-as-POW/Default.aspx

Russia's 'Arab Spring'? Clashes break out in Moscow:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/06/9245670-russias-arab-spring-clashes-break-out-in-moscow

McCain Slams JSF, Calls Program 'Scandal And A Tragedy;' Contract
Talks Advance:

http://defense.aol.com/2011/12/05/mccain-slams-jsf-calls-program-scandal-and-a-tragedy/

PICTURE: China's Wind Blade UAV revealed:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2011/12/picture-chinas-wind-blade-uav.html

Hey Loser, You Can’t Hide From Darpa’s ‘Social Interaction’ Sensors:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/12/hey-loser-you-cant-hide/

Unmanned Combat Aircraft Tests Move Quickly:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/awst/2011/12/05/AW_12_05_2011_p54-398723.xml&headline=UnmannedCombatAircraftTestsMoveQuickly&channel=awst

Chicken fat-fuel to power U.S. warships in 2012 games:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21857:chicken-fat-fuel-to-power-us-warships-in-2012-games&catid=51:Sea&Itemid=106

U.S. Navy jets to fly with used cooking oil:

http://alert5.com/2011/12/06/u-s-navy-jets-to-fly-with-used-cooking-oil/

Insider: $56 Billion Later, Airport Security Is Junk:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/12/unsafe-skies/

Iraq to buy 12 F-16Cs and 6 F-16Ds Block 52:

http://alert5.com/2011/12/06/iraq-to-buy-12-f-16cs-and-6-f-16ds-block-52/

Indian Navy to Induct 24 P-8I Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft:

http://www.defencetalk.com/indian-navy-to-induct-24-p-8i-maritime-reconnaissance-aircraft-38721/

'Trail-blazing' U.K. Attack Sub Proves Itself in U.S.:

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=8475844&c=EUR&s=SEA

US put 'low priority' on first India nuclear test:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/US_put_low_priority_on_first_India_nuclear_test_999.html

Bradley Manning’s Defense Attorney Looks to Blame Military for Leaks:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/12/psychologist-manning-dangerous/

70th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor Approaches; Two new books revisit
devastating attack:

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/US-Marks-70th-Anniversary-of-Pearl-Harbor--135025508.html

Andrew Swallow

Dec 6, 2011, 2:11:13 PM12/6/11
On 06/12/2011 18:32, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> 'Trail-blazing' U.K. Attack Sub Proves Itself in U.S.:
>
> http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=8475844&c=EUR&s=SEA

Does this submarine still have the standard problem of not carrying
sufficient fresh water?
We are talking about a machine surrounded by sea water whose engine
works by boiling water. For reliability distilling sea water may need a
separate boiler for the sea water but the heat is there.

Andrew Swallow

Andrew Swallow

Dec 6, 2011, 2:29:56 PM12/6/11
On 06/12/2011 18:32, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Bradley Manning’s Defense Attorney Looks to Blame Military for Leaks:
>
> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/12/psychologist-manning-dangerous/

Putting music and movies on a computer is a breach of regulations rather
than a major security leak. The UNCLASSIFIED information is going onto
a SECRET machine, it is not being declassified and sent to a civilian
destination. Very different.

The military may need to supply, or possibly approve, music and video
players which are read only.

As for uploading computer programs, these are different because they can
be benign or dangerous. Civilian computer games are (mostly) benign.
From a security point of view the write to DVD and external device are
the most dangerous - they are also supplied as a standard part of the
operating system.

Andrew Swallow

Keith W

Dec 6, 2011, 2:18:58 PM12/6/11
Distilling sea water by boiling sea water is not the best method. Most
large scale installations use reverse osmosis and the main requirement
for that is lots of electricity.

Keith

Andrew Swallow

Dec 9, 2011, 4:19:31 PM12/9/11
Nuclear submarines have a lot of electricity and are built to handle
high pressures.

Andrew Swallow

Paul F Austin

Dec 9, 2011, 5:12:15 PM12/9/11
And also have evaporators on board, heated by auxiliary steam (reduced
pressure from the main steam circuit). Batfish, being brand new at the
time (early seventies) produced vast quantities of fresh water. That was
a welcome change from service on a 1944-vintage destroyer where water
hours restrictions were standard. During the Med cruise of 1968, we
spent over a month with no fresh water outside of the crew's mess
(coffee and soup), no laundry and coincidentally, no air conditioning in
the engineering berthing spaces. For guys who worked 12-16 hours a day
in 125+ degree engine rooms and fire rooms, that was real hardship. On
the other hand, since we _made_ the water, we could drink as much as we
liked in the engineering spaces.

Paul