Af/Pak & Other News (4/4/2013)

dump...@hotmail.com

Apr 4, 2013, 12:11:06 PM4/4/13
The anatomy of green-on-blue tensions in Panjwai:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2013/04/the_anatomy_of_green.php

Taliban Assault on Afghan Compound Leaves Dozens Dead:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/world/asia/insurgents-seize-afghan-government-offices-in-attack.html?_r=0

Pentagon to Keep Buying Russian Helicopters, Carter Says:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-04/pentagon-to-keep-buying-russian-helicopters-carter-says.html

3rd generation al-Qaida is 'deadliest yet':

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/3rd_generation_al-Qaida_is_deadliest_yet_999.html

The Pain And Iron Rain In India:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htatrit/articles/20130404.aspx

Iran, 6 powers meet Thursday for nuclear talks:

http://news.msn.com/world/iran-6-powers-meet-thursday-for-nuclear-talks

Syrian guerrilla fighters being sent to Iran for training:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/04/04/syria-iran-training-idINDEE93306I20130404

New Rebel Gains Reported in Southern Syria With Seizure of Military
Base:

https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/nowsyriainthepress/new-rebel-gains-reported-in-southern-syria-with-seizure-of-military-base

Roboships Getting Bigger And More Numerous:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsurf/articles/20130404.aspx

Since fierce clash, Egypt's crisis takes new turn:

http://news.msn.com/world/since-fierce-clash-egypts-crisis-takes-new-turn

Mali: Search And Destroy:

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/mali/articles/20130404.aspx

Russian arms exports set to widen:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Russian_arms_exports_set_to_widen_999.html

Last Type 42 Destroyer Returns from Final Deployment:

http://www.defencetalk.com/last-type-42-destroyer-returns-from-final-deployment-47344/

PM Warns N Korea Proves Trident 'A Must':

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/143942/uk-premier-warns-trident-is-%E2%80%98a-must%E2%80%99.html

Cuba ballet says 7 dancers defected while on tour in Mexico:

http://news.msn.com/world/cuba-ballet-says-7-dancers-defected-while-on-tour-in-mexico

North Korea 'moves mid-range missile':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22027867

The Chinese Volunteer Army:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htiw/articles/20130404.aspx

U.S. sends F/A-18 warplanes to Philippine military drills:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-sends-f-18-warplanes-philippine-military-drills-095345035.html

U.S. sends THAAD anti-missile system to Guam after NK threats:

http://defensetech.org/2013/04/03/thaad-headed-to-guam-following-nk-threats/

Anonymous joins forces with arch-enemy The Jester against Norks:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/04/anon_nork_cyber_offensive/

Spectacular Theatrics Can Only Do So Much:

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/korea/articles/20130404.aspx

From the PACOM Playbook to PACOM's Plan B(MD):

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2013/04/from-pacom-playbook-to-pacoms-plan-bmd.html

Adm. Greenert: Wireless Cyberwar, The EM Spectrum, And The Changing
Navy:

http://defense.aol.com/2013/04/03/adm-greenert-wireless-cyber-em-spectrum-changing-navy/?icid=trending2

GCV Contractors To CBO: You Graded The Wrong Vehicle:

http://defense.aol.com/2013/04/03/gcv-contractors-to-cbo-you-graded-the-wrong-vehicle/

Cobra Judy Replacement radars perform exceptionally during first live-
launch test:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Cobra_Judy_Replacement_radars_perform_exceptionally_during_first_live_launch_test_999.html

Boeing to make flying torpedoes able to attack enemy submarines from
30,000 feet:

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2013/04/Boeing-flying-torpedo.html

dump...@hotmail.com

Apr 4, 2013, 12:23:10 PM4/4/13
Update:

‘There’s No Turning Back’: My Interview With a Hunted American
Jihadist:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/04/omar-hammami/

Robots, Deep-Sea Sensors Help Pentagon Futurists Hunt Subs:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/04/darpa-subs/

David E. Powell

Apr 5, 2013, 5:09:16 PM4/5/13
On Apr 4, 12:11 pm, dumpst...@hotmail.com wrote:

Snip much excellence - Thank you so much for these posts!

> Cobra Judy Replacement radars perform exceptionally during first live-
> launch test:
>
> http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Cobra_Judy_Replacement_radars_perfo...

Wow, that could be why that southern defense grid was being
reorganized, that Henry Cobb was talking about. It seems the sea-
mobile thing is picking up for air and missile defense, allowing the
systems to be positioned at different locations as needed.

> Boeing to make flying torpedoes able to attack enemy submarines from
> 30,000 feet:
>
> http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2013/04/Boeing-flying-torpe...

Very nice. The trick will be getting the fix on where to drop her, but
it means the plane won't have to come low to do so.