Af/Pak & Other News (1/15/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Jan 15, 2012, 8:29:02 PM1/15/12
Pakistan Taliban leader reported dead in US strike:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46003972/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/#.TxNIo_mdHIU

Pakistan bomb kills 16 in Shiite procession:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iN3uY19LGAa3bwl9h9fJxM5Zft2g?docId=CNG.189a465aaa7bffb3c0367772de1c755d.71

Pakistani government faces critical day in court:

http://news.yahoo.com/pakistani-government-faces-critical-day-court-160328832.html;_ylt=As5lzfMo_ke4cn7MLwGmAsoBxg8F;_ylu=X3oDMTQyZzZwdmF1BG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBXb3JsZFNGIEFzaWFTU0YEcGtnAzhlYWU3ZTNmLWY0YjEtMzc4My1iMzRhLWQ0YjhlNzliNTE2NwRwb3MDMwRzZWMDdG9wX3N0b3J5BHZlcgMwNGZiNDQ1MC0zZmIyLTExZTEtYmZmZi1kMTc4YWQ4MjBhYzY-;_ylg=X3oDMTF1N2kwZmpmBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAN3b3JsZHxhc2lhBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Showdown:

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/india/articles/20120115.aspx

'Consequences': Iran warns Gulf countries not to replace its oil:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/15/10160133-consequences-iran-warns-gulf-countries-not-to-replace-its-oil

Iran says received U.S. letter on Hormuz Strait:

http://news.yahoo.com/iran-says-received-u-letter-hormuz-strait-170406199.html;_ylt=ArKYAsmRj2UKAymhhCO4KS2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNscmY2cG5zBG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBGUARwa2cDNmY3YWU4ZjItNjQ1Ni0zYWIxLWE4MjEtZjE2YmM5YWNlOThhBHBvcwM4BHNlYwN0b3Bfc3RvcnkEdmVyAzU4N2I0NTYwLTNmOWItMTFlMS1hMGRmLTAwZjU4MmIwZjllYw--;_ylg=X3oDMTFvdnRqYzJoBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

Top Syria army defector to set up high military council:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Top_Syria_army_defector_to_set_up_high_military_council_999.html

Stop the killing, U.N. chief tells Syria's Assad:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39039381/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.TxNJmvmdHIU

Qaeda militants seize Yemen town, Norwegian kidnapped:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/15/us-yemen-idUSTRE80D0RG20120115

Israel, Bulgaria Sign Arms Industry Deal:

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=8862332&c=MID&s=LAN

'Israel and U.S. postpone massive defense drill in fear of escalation
with Iran':

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-and-u-s-postpone-massive-defense-drill-in-fear-of-escalation-with-iran-1.407466

Gunmen storm Iraq compound, kill 7 police:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46004505/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.TxNIrPmdHIU

Equipping Lebanon’s… Government?:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Tanks-Planes-and-UAVs-for-Lebanon-05382/

Somali pirates arrested trying to board Spanish navy ship:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22503:somali-pirates-arrested-trying-to-board-spanish-navy-ship&catid=51:Sea&Itemid=106

Thailand hunting Hezbollah operatives planning terror attacks against
Jews, Israelis:

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/thailand-hunting-hezbollah-operatives-planning-terror-attacks-against-jews-israelis-1.407352

Money from US used to fund genocide in S. Sudan?:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45983369/ns/world_news-the_new_york_times/#.TxNJdvmdHIU

Study analyzes countries' cyber-power:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Study_analyzes_countries_cyber-power_999.html

SolomonW

Jan 16, 2012, 7:12:28 AM1/16/12
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:29:02 -0800 (PST), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Study analyzes countries' cyber-power:
>
> http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Study_analyzes_countries_cyber-power_999.html

Australia number 3 is nonsense

Dean Markley

Jan 16, 2012, 11:00:11 AM1/16/12
On Jan 16, 7:12 am, SolomonW <Solom...@citi.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 17:29:02 -0800 (PST), dumpst...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Study analyzes countries' cyber-power:
>
> >http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Study_analyzes_countries_cyber-powe...
>
> Australia number 3 is nonsense

That's a useful reply.

Andrew Swallow

Jan 16, 2012, 5:29:49 PM1/16/12
What is surprising about that?

Australia is an English speaking country which:
has lots of computer programmers,
permits McAfee and Norton to sell their products (no silly laws
limiting this to the minister's cousin),
has data and computer protection laws,
is the southern member of the UKUSA signals intelligence network (GCHQ
and NSA now have cyberwar departments),
and has an efficient civil service that is not bribe driven.

It helps that countries like the Irish Republic and New Zealand were not
inspected.

Andrew Swallow

SolomonW

Jan 17, 2012, 5:09:00 AM1/17/12

> It helps that countries like the Irish Republic and New Zealand were not
> inspected.

Indeed and many others.