Jesus Villamor and the P-26 Against the Japanese

Rob Arndt

Jun 23, 2010, 3:21:29 PM6/23/10
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4390854775_0818c2d6b6.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4395608240_bcc2b55697.jpg

Here is a synopsis of Villamor's memoirs from the exploits of the
Sixth Pursuit Squadron, December 1941:

1st Kill: Mitsubishi Zero A6M (Navy Carrier Based Fighter)

On December 10, 1941 an alarm was sounded over Zablan field, Quezon
City. Current location of the AFP Supply Center and the Corps of
Engineers

From their base in Batangas Field, Batangas, Capt. Jesus Villamor,
Lt. Geronimo Aclan, Lt. Godofredo Juliano, Lt. Jose Gozar, Lt. Manuel
Conde, Lt. Antonio Mondigo were able to take off to intercept the
force attacking Zablan Field.

Uncle Jess got to 5000 feet and noticed a Zero on his tail. Rolls,
climbs, snap turns, nothing worked. The Zero could do everything
faster and better. At this point in time Uncle Jess regretted
underestimating (like the rest of the USAAC) the Japanese aviators and
their Zeros. He concluded that he could not outfly the Zero. He had to
outsmart him.

He dove down into the Marikina Valley, Flying at tree level, hugging
the ground flying through gullies, even flying underneath power lines.
He lost the pursuing Zero.

However, as soon as he climbed, another Zero was on his tail. He
climbed sharply. Doing so, he stalled his P-26. Struggling to gain
control, the P-26 stood on its tail and dropped, snap rolling to
recover, he found himself in front of, and head to head with the Zero.
They were so close that Villamor could see the Japanese pilot
struggling to avoid a collission. Instinctively he pulled the trigger.
Villamor saw tracers fly, and the incendiary rounds contacted the
Zero's wing. It ignited the Zero's fuel tanks and burst into flames.

2nd Kill: Mitsubishi G3M (Navy Attack Bomber) "Nell"

On December 12, 1941, a flight of 54 Attack Bombers and 18 escorts
were sighted enroute and the alarm sounded over Batangas Field,
Batangas.
Current location was the site of the former Philippine Constabulary
Headquarters of Batangas

Jesus Villamor was able to take off. This time with Cesar Basa, his
wing man. Villamor and Basa were able to reach altitude and pointed
their P-26' head-to-head with the "Nells." Villamor fired his .30 cals
in short bursts. To his astonishment, a Nell started to smoke, then
descend, then break up! A lucky shot!

Seconds later, the escorting Zeros were on them from out of the sun.
Villamor and Basa did all they could to outfly the Zeros to no avail.
Villamor looked back and saw Basa's plane have chunks fly off. Basa
was hit. Basa struggled to bail out of the cockpit as his mortally
stricken P-26 dove to the ground. The Zero followed.

Later that day, Basa's body was found not far from his plane's
wreckage. His body was riddled with bullets beneath his parachute. The
Zero pilot had machine gunned him. Lt. Ceasr Basa was the first
Filipino pilot to die in aerial combat.

Honors and Withdrawal

Douglas MacArthur, hearing of the Sixth Pursuit Squadron's actions,
sent out a communique to all forces under his command recognizing and
naming all of the Filipino pilots for their galantry. MacArthur
decorated Villamor and bannered him as an inspiration to the Filipinos
as he was calling upon the people to stand against the Japanese.

Later, another communique from MacArthur ordered the Sixth Pursuit to
conserve their planes. No more Interceptions. No more Pursuits. No
more hosite aerial combat. Reconnaisance missions only!

Manila was declared as an open city. MacArtur ordered the pilots of
the Sixth Pursuit Squadron to destroy their planes and withdraw to
Bataan.

Uncle Jess painfully said goodbye to his well worn and beloved P-26
#303 and ordered a sargeant to dynamite her.

Other Interesting feats from our pilots:

Lt. Geronimo Aclan on December 10th flew his his P-26 expertly, and in
a moment of fury tried to RAM a Zero, missing it by inches! It so
unnerved the Zero pilot that he flew away.

Villamor reminissces after the war that had Aclan succeeded with his
ramming maneouver, he would have been the first Filipino Kamikaze!

Lt. Godofredo Juliano, because of expert flying skills, was actually
able to line up a zero for a belly shot. As he was charging his guns,
the right cocking handle broke off in his hand. The left gun jammed.
He ended up being unarmed and flying into the clouds for cover.

Lt. Antonio Mondigo was shot down. He was able to bail out. floating
down in his parachute, a Zero approached to machine gun him (like what
happened to Basa). Lieutenats Aclan and Juliano came to his aide and
circled Mondigo and protected him from the Zero, which broke off the
attack. Mondigo landed safely, but was charged with Bolo, pitchforks
and spears by local villagers who mistook him for a Japanese. They
were yelling "Japon! Japon! Patayin natin!!! (...Japanese! Japanese!
Let's Kill him!!!)

He yelled in Tagalog, and was saved from being turned into hamburger
by the lynch mob.

~ www.timawa.net

Jim Wilkins

Jun 23, 2010, 5:34:13 PM6/23/10
On Jun 23, 3:21 pm, Rob Arndt <teuton...@aol.com> wrote:

> From their base in Batangas Field, Batangas, Capt. Jesus Villamor,
> Lt. Geronimo Aclan, Lt. Godofredo Juliano, Lt. Jose Gozar, Lt. Manuel
> Conde, Lt. Antonio Mondigo were able to take off to intercept the
> force attacking Zablan Field.

You've done your good deed for today.

deem...@aol.com

Jun 23, 2010, 6:14:03 PM6/23/10

Yep, good stories....shows how flimsy/flammable the Japanese
planes were.

David E. Powell

Jun 25, 2010, 1:36:12 AM6/25/10

It seems the best way to take them was head on.

David E. Powell

Jun 25, 2010, 1:37:31 AM6/25/10
On Jun 23, 5:34 pm, Jim Wilkins <kb1...@gmail.com> wrote:

Agreed. The Filipinos fought bravely against a ruthless enemy and
deserve a mention or two. Nice to see one.

Jim Wilkins

Jun 25, 2010, 7:31:21 AM6/25/10
On Jun 25, 1:37 am, "David E. Powell" <David_Powell3...@msn.com>
wrote:

American Special Forces developed from experience leading Filipino
guerilla bands.
http://ww2f.com/land-warfare-pacific/23318-philippine-guerilla-leaders.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Fertig

jsw

David E. Powell

Jun 25, 2010, 11:26:44 AM6/25/10

Jeffrey Hamilton

Jun 26, 2010, 11:43:21 AM6/26/10

Thanks for posting those, Jim, I just read the Wiki entry on Fertig and
found it extremely interesting, what a great story. I hope they do make a
movie out of it ! I'll read the Forum site when time permits.

cheers.....Jeff

> jsw

Jim Wilkins

Jun 26, 2010, 7:17:51 PM6/26/10
On Jun 26, 11:43 am, "Jeffrey Hamilton" <bberesf...@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> Jim Wilkins wrote:
> > On Jun 25, 1:37 am, "David E. Powell" <David_Powell3...@msn.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Agreed. The Filipinos fought bravely against a ruthless enemy and
> >> deserve a mention or two. Nice to see one.
>
> > American Special Forces developed from experience leading Filipino
> > guerilla bands.
> >http://ww2f.com/land-warfare-pacific/23318-philippine-guerilla-leader...

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Fertig
>
> Thanks for posting those, Jim, I just read the Wiki entry on Fertig and
> found it extremely interesting, what a great story. I hope they do make a
> movie out of it ! I'll read the Forum site when time permits.
>
>   cheers.....Jeff

Here's another one that was made into a movie:
http://www.amazon.com/American-guerrilla-Philippines-Ira-Wolfert/dp/B00005VD79

Merrill's Marauders, a large American commando group behind the lines
in Burma:
http://www.librarything.com/work/429497
John George was an intelligence officer who fought there and at
Guadalcanal.

#1, McBride, is EXCELLENT, partly due to his strange sense of humor
and a storytelling ability to match R. L. Scott. To him WW1 was a huge
adventure.

#8 is a drier British view with a perplexed reaction to the Americans,
who came from the most mechanized nation on Earth and yet had an
abundance of the skills for a pack mule expedition.

jsw

deem...@aol.com

Jun 26, 2010, 7:30:28 PM6/26/10
On Jun 26, 7:17 pm, Jim Wilkins <kb1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 11:43 am, "Jeffrey Hamilton" <bberesf...@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>

> > Jim Wilkins wrote:

> > > American Special Forces developed from experience leading Filipino
> > > guerilla bands.
> > >http://ww2f.com/land-warfare-pacific/23318-philippine-guerilla-leader...
> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Fertig
>
> > Thanks for posting those, Jim, I just read the Wiki entry on Fertig and
> > found it extremely interesting, what a great story. I hope they do make a
> > movie out of it ! I'll read the Forum site when time permits.
>
> >   cheers.....Jeff
>
> Here's another one that was made into a movie:http://www.amazon.com/American-guerrilla-Philippines-Ira-Wolfert/dp/B...

> Merrill's Marauders, a large American commando group behind the lines
> in Burma:http://www.librarything.com/work/429497

MM's weren't really a commando group. They were trained in long
range patrolling and jungle fighting, but were expected to perform
like any other battalion rather than Rangers, etc. The same goes for
the Chindits...they underwent specialized training, but weren't really
"elite" in the Commando sense.

> John George was an intelligence officer who fought there and at
> Guadalcanal.
>
> #1, McBride, is EXCELLENT, partly due to his strange sense of humor
> and a storytelling ability to match R. L. Scott. To him WW1 was a huge
> adventure.
>
> #8 is a drier British view with a perplexed reaction to the Americans,
> who came from the most mechanized nation on Earth and yet had an
> abundance of the skills for a pack mule expedition.
>

> jsw- Hide quoted text -

Jim Wilkins

Jun 26, 2010, 7:50:57 PM6/26/10

I know, 'commando' is a loose term, like guerrilla or partisan or
franc tireur. Originally in Dutch South Africa it was simply a citizen
militia.
What would you call relatively regular units with some training for
highly irregular missions, like the Long Range Desert Group or
Popski's Private Army?

jsw

Dan

Jun 26, 2010, 7:54:04 PM6/26/10

I'd call them "sir."

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Jeffrey Hamilton

Jun 26, 2010, 7:58:16 PM6/26/10

That movie, I don't believe I've ever seen, but zi'm going to look for it,
thanks.

> Merrill's Marauders, a large American commando group behind the lines
> in Burma:
> http://www.librarything.com/work/429497

I am aware of the Merrill's Marauders story, in fact my mothers twin brother
(British) was seriously wounded in Burma.

> John George was an intelligence officer who fought there and at
> Guadalcanal.
>
> #1, McBride, is EXCELLENT, partly due to his strange sense of humor
> and a storytelling ability to match R. L. Scott. To him WW1 was a huge
> adventure.
>
> #8 is a drier British view with a perplexed reaction to the Americans,
> who came from the most mechanized nation on Earth and yet had an
> abundance of the skills for a pack mule expedition.

Hollywood movies taught Brits _every_ American owned/drove a car, how could
anyone other than a cowboy (and they were only in the movies), know how to
handle a mule ? <g>

cheers.....Jeff

> jsw

deem...@aol.com

Jun 26, 2010, 9:12:29 PM6/26/10

Hmmmm....you have a point. I think of Commandos and Rangers as
being more skilled overall than regular troops. That's why I don't see
MM's as "elite" because they weren't trained to any higher standard in
fighting skills....they did have some specialized training which I
guess could fit the definition.

Jim Wilkins

Jun 27, 2010, 8:58:22 AM6/27/10
On Jun 26, 7:54 pm, Dan <B24...@aol.com> wrote:
> Jim Wilkins wrote:

> > What would you call relatively regular units with some training for
> > highly irregular missions, like the Long Range Desert Group or
> > Popski's Private Army?
>
> > jsw
>
>    I'd call them "sir."
> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

To which the sergeant replies "Don't call me 'Sir', I WORK for a
living".

A Spec5 is not a Sgt because "I can read and write".

jsw

Jim Wilkins

Jun 27, 2010, 9:09:35 AM6/27/10
On Jun 26, 7:58 pm, "Jeffrey Hamilton" <bberesf...@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> Hollywood movies taught Brits _every_ American owned/drove a car, how could
> anyone other than a cowboy (and they were only in the movies), know how to
> handle a mule ?   <g>
>   cheers.....Jeff

The war drafted farm boys who knew how to plow behind a mule (my
father, for instance) and also how to keep an old truck or tractor
engine running.

Before duct tape they had:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baling_wire

jsw

Dan

Jun 27, 2010, 11:38:21 AM6/27/10

"Don't call me sir, I'm not dumb enough to be an officer."

"Don't call me sir, my parents were married when I was born."

"Don't call me sir, I know who my father was."

Etc.

Jim Wilkins

Jun 27, 2010, 1:25:28 PM6/27/10
On Jun 27, 11:38 am, Dan <B24...@aol.com> wrote:

>    "Don't call me sir, my parents were married when I was born."
>    "Don't call me sir, I know who my father was."
> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Those are classic reasons for being rejected by the Marines.

jsw

Dan

Jun 27, 2010, 2:19:53 PM6/27/10

So is using the incorrect colour crayon when filling out the application.