Bolivian Mob Attacks Venezuelan Military Plane With Rocks

news

Dec 6, 2007, 10:23:50 PM12/6/07
Bolivian Mob Attacks Venezuelan Military Plane With Rocks
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, LA PAZ, BOLIVIA

An angry mob of Bolivian civilians threw rocks at a Venezuelan military
plane refueling at an airport in northeastern Bolivia, forcing the
unwelcome aircraft to fly out of town, according to a Dec. 6 report.
The leader of a local civic group opposed to President Evo Morales, who
is a top ally of leftist Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, said no
Venezuelan military planes would be allowed to land in Riberalta,
especially if they are carrying weapons.
“We have to defend our people,” Riberalta Civic Committee President
Marcos Jauregui was quoted as saying by the Catholic news agency Erbol.
“Why wasn’t there a press conference to disclose what they are bringing
to the country? We must be vigilant because we will not allow Venezuelan
planes to come,” he said.
A Bolivian aviation source, who requested anonymity, confirmed that the
plane was a Hercules airplane belonging to the Venezuelan air force.
The source said the plane landed in Riberalta after it was not allowed
to refuel at its original destination, the Brazilian city of Rio Branco,
for unknown reasons.
Up to 200 people with signs saying “Enough interference!” threw stones
at the plane, which left to an unknown destination amid rumors it was
carrying weapons.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=3233372&C=america

Message has been deleted

Steven

Dec 15, 2007, 4:58:19 PM12/15/07
Herbert Viola wrote:
> In article <fjaebt$l7m$1...@nyytiset.pp.htv.fi>, news <ne...@news.news>
> wrote:
>
>> Bolivian Mob Attacks Venezuelan Military Plane With Rocks
>> AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
>>

>> An angry mob of Bolivian civilians threw rocks at a Venezuelan military
>> plane refueling at an airport in northeastern Bolivia, forcing the
>> unwelcome aircraft to fly out of town, according to a Dec. 6 report.
>> The leader of a local civic group opposed to President Evo Morales, who
>> is a top ally of leftist Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, said no
>> Venezuelan military planes would be allowed to land in Riberalta,
>> especially if they are carrying weapons.
>> łWe have to defend our people,˛ Riberalta Civic Committee President
>> Marcos Jauregui was quoted as saying by the Catholic news agency Erbol.
>> łWhy wasnąt there a press conference to disclose what they are bringing
>> to the country? We must be vigilant because we will not allow Venezuelan
>> planes to come,˛ he said.
>> A Bolivian aviation source, who requested anonymity, confirmed that the
>> plane was a Hercules airplane belonging to the Venezuelan air force.
>> The source said the plane landed in Riberalta after it was not allowed
>> to refuel at its original destination, the Brazilian city of Rio Branco,
>> for unknown reasons.
>> Up to 200 people with signs saying łEnough interference!˛ threw stones
>> at the plane, which left to an unknown destination amid rumors it was
>> carrying weapons.
>>
>> http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=3233372&C=america
>

> I guess that in its own way it does involve military aviation.

I'm surprise to read this I would have thought a prearranged landing
site would have been setup. I wonder if any of those 100,000 AKs
ordered a few years back were on board that C-130?