Af/Pak & Other News (12/2/2011)

dump...@hotmail.com

Dec 2, 2011, 7:55:50 PM12/2/11
New (Old) Weapon For U.S. Grunts in Afghanistan:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a95dc2896-89da-49dc-b219-d46915c1f3ba&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Pakistan denies approving deadly NATO airstrike:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45520030/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/#.TtlVR_LfXW4

Pakistan refuses to take part in Nato airstrike probe:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/8932748/Pakistan-refuses-to-take-part-in-Nato-airstrike-probe.html

Bad Habits Are Hard To Break:

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/afghan/articles/20111202.aspx

Military dogs taking Xanax, receiving therapy, for canine PTSD:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/military-dogs-taking-xanax-receiving-therapy-canine-ptsd-222819057.html

IED Trends:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3af60926af-61d8-4cac-9d08-bded159c68e8&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Jihadists announce deaths of 21 Turks linked to the Haqqani Network:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2011/12/jihadists_announce_d.php#ixzz1fJCiLQAO

Javelin Turns VAB Into An Anti-Tank Weapon:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/articles/20111202.aspx

Bomb at Afghan NATO base kills one, wounds up to 70:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hbJxwyIUHMNeFYUtGy7fEtXZW6BQ?docId=CNG.980daa5a106d480849b20e4314712118.4a1

India steps up Afghan troop training:

http://www.janes.com/products/janes/defence-security-report.aspx?ID=1065931855&channel=defence

Other news:

Mini-Missile Promises to Shrink the Drone War:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/12/mini-missile-drone-war/

U.N. to Join Hunt for Rogue Weapons in Libya:

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=8454443&c=MID&s=AIR

Libya Reveals NATO Readiness Highs And Lows:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/dti/2011/12/01/DT_12_01_2011_p34-390579.xml&headline=Libya%20Reveals%20NATO%20Readiness%20Highs%20And%20Lows&channel=defense

UN urges world to protect Syrian civilians:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45526061/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.TtlVgfLfXW4

The shadow war in Syria:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/ML02Ak01.html

Russia delivers missiles to Syria: report:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Russia_delivers_missiles_to_Syria_report_999.html

Former Mossad chief: Israeli attack on Iran must be stopped to avert
catastrophe:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/former-mossad-chief-israeli-attack-on-iran-must-be-stopped-to-avert-catastrophe-1.399046

UK envoy tells of fear as mob rampage in Iran embassy:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/02/us-iran-britain-ambassador-idUSTRE7B128820111202

India: MiG-21 crashes, pilot ejects safely:

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/mig21-crashes-pilot-ejects-safely/883261/

Report: Iran authorities behind attack on U.K. embassy:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/report-iran-authorities-behind-attack-on-u-k-embassy-1.399006

Iraq blast was assassination attempt says official:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h6Jno6e1R7IwJ3voHB1S-BBiB6yg?docId=CNG.963fd3cb350dbf9a9143bd73654b9986.4b1

End of an era as US military hands Camp Victory to Iraqis:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45520785/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.TtlVePLfXW4

Germany probing alleged Iran plot to attack U.S. bases on its soil:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/germany-probing-alleged-iran-plot-to-attack-u-s-bases-on-its-soil-1.398987

China’s Carrier Seen From an Airliner:

http://defensetech.org/2011/12/02/chinas-carrier-seen-from-an-airliner/

South Korea And The Little Wonders:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsub/articles/20111202.aspx

Marine Aircraft Plans in Peril as Tiltrotor Costs Soar:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/12/osprey-costs-soar/

Lebanese media: IDF bombed espionage devices uncovered by Hezbollah:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/lebanese-media-idf-bombed-espionage-devices-uncovered-by-hezbollah-1.399257

GE and Rolls Terminate F136 and FET:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a93dc8acf-d4f7-4ca0-8f3c-330bf9be12d0&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

2 More 'Physiological Incidents' Related to F-22:

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=8453870&c=AME&s=AIR

Darpa’s Shredder Challenge: Computer Geeks Win!:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/12/darpa-shredder-challenge-2/

Australia receives final Tiger attack helicopter:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/australia-receives-final-tiger-attack-helicopter-365528/

Pentagon: Slow F-35 Production:

http://defensetech.org/2011/12/02/pentagon-slow-f-35-production/

Swiss Gripen NG: Details Emerge:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3a8fc5ffef-9ad6-43c0-9fc9-ce014d3baa78&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Senate Wants the Military to Lock You Up Without Trial:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/12/senate-military-detention/

PICTURES: Lockheed unveils two future C-130 variants:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2011/12/pictures-lockheed-unveils-two.html

7 Nuclear Weapon Screw-Ups You Won't Believe We Survived:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19546_7-nuclear-weapon-screw-ups-you-wont-believe-we-survived.html

SolomonW

Dec 3, 2011, 7:17:24 AM12/3/11
On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 16:55:50 -0800 (PST), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Report: Iran authorities behind attack on U.K. embassy:
>
> http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/report-iran-authorities-behind-attack-on-u-k-embassy-1.399006

If the authorities disapproved, many would have been arrested by now.

William Black

Dec 3, 2011, 8:50:34 AM12/3/11
Never mind about approval or disapproval, do you honestly think that
attack could possibly have taken place without direct organisation,
funding and communications support by the Iranian government?

This wasn't some demonstration that got out of hand, according to the
ambassadors statement these people had the means to break down a steel
door set in a steel architrave.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...

David E. Powell

Dec 4, 2011, 12:17:32 AM12/4/11
I bet there are plenty of 57mm and 75mm Recoilless rifles, as one
commenter mentioned, in US Arsenals. Those will kick up a fuss if
needed too, and can be used until the Gustavs arrive if they are in
short supply. Or mount a 106mm on a Humvee or truck a la the old Jeep
mount.

DEP

Stryker Ontos?

Kerryn Offord

Dec 4, 2011, 1:41:43 AM12/4/11
If they had vehicles they'd already have .50 cals etc which would have
the necessary range.

CG gives the walking man something that can reach out and kill at the
desired ranges.

SolomonW

Dec 4, 2011, 3:49:14 AM12/4/11
On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 13:50:34 +0000, William Black wrote:

> On 03/12/11 12:17, SolomonW wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 16:55:50 -0800 (PST), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Report: Iran authorities behind attack on U.K. embassy:
>>>
>>> http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/report-iran-authorities-behind-attack-on-u-k-embassy-1.399006
>>
>> If the authorities disapproved, many would have been arrested by now.
>>

> Never mind about approval or disapproval, do you honestly think that
> attack could possibly have taken place without direct organisation,
> funding and communications support by the Iranian government?

No, if I look at the pictures of the people at the demonstrations, they do
not look like students either.

William Black

Dec 4, 2011, 7:35:35 AM12/4/11
They're obviously operating in an area where wheeled vehicles can't go.

You know...

Rural Afghanistan...

Andrew Chaplin

Dec 4, 2011, 9:18:51 AM12/4/11
"David E. Powell" <David_Po...@msn.com> wrote in news:91f9cfd1-5cab-
43f8-b0f2-d...@c18g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:
The Canadian battle groups all deployed the 84 RCL gun. I am sure, if you
ask nicely, DND would lend you a division's worth, and sell you the ammo
that goes mit.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Arved Sandstrom

Dec 4, 2011, 10:49:38 AM12/4/11
On 11-12-04 10:18 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
> "David E. Powell" <David_Po...@msn.com> wrote in news:91f9cfd1-5cab-
> 43f8-b0f2-d...@c18g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:
>
>> I bet there are plenty of 57mm and 75mm Recoilless rifles, as one
>> commenter mentioned, in US Arsenals. Those will kick up a fuss if
>> needed too, and can be used until the Gustavs arrive if they are in
>> short supply. Or mount a 106mm on a Humvee or truck a la the old Jeep
>> mount.
>>
>> DEP
>>
>> Stryker Ontos?
>
> The Canadian battle groups all deployed the 84 RCL gun. I am sure, if you
> ask nicely, DND would lend you a division's worth, and sell you the ammo
> that goes mit.

That was one of the weapons we trained up on when I was with 1 Field. I
remember absolutely nothing about the firing drills except the fierce
and frequent admonitions from the instructors about the backblast. Not
that the drill is complicated.

Definitely a nice piece of kit.

AHS

Andrew Chaplin

Dec 4, 2011, 11:59:44 AM12/4/11
Arved Sandstrom <asandstr...@eastlink.ca> wrote in
Useful more than nice, methinks. My most vivid memory of it comes from my
TQ3 in Shilo when we fired it from a trench near King OP. I sandblasted my
back. So, as you go through Battle Drill No. 1, "Prepare for Battle," make
sure your undershirt is well tucked in and then tie your waist string of
your combat jacket tight.

David E. Powell

Dec 5, 2011, 11:07:29 PM12/5/11
Good point. I believe only the 57mm was Shoulder fired, the 75mm could
probably be carried by a team of men but would be quite heavy.

The 106, to paraphrase the Pythons, is right out...

CG surely packs a bit more wallop than the 57mm, not sure about 75, it
would come down to need for them and practicality of leg infantry
humping the weapons.

Unless they want to bring back Army mules.....

Kerryn Offord

Dec 6, 2011, 1:49:27 AM12/6/11
The CG is 84mm vs 75mm...
The "boom" of the CG round would thus probably be greater. (Greater
diameter means more internal volume...) -- most of the extra mass of the
75mm round will be propellant and cartridge and maybe in strengthening
the shell casing against launch forces.. MV of ~300 mps (75mm) vs ~255
mps (CG)

The 75mm offers much greater range..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M20_recoilless_rifle
Range: (HEAT) 7,000 yards (6.4 km).. which is overkill for the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_recoilless_rifle

And at 52kgs vs about 9.5kg (for an M3 CG) (~15kg for the M2)
and ammo of 9.5-10kg (75mm) vs ~3-3.5kg (CG) ammo load outs would be
impacted.

William Black

Dec 6, 2011, 7:23:37 AM12/6/11
On 06/12/11 04:07, David E. Powell wrote:

> CG surely packs a bit more wallop than the 57mm, not sure about 75, it
> would come down to need for them and practicality of leg infantry
> humping the weapons.
>
> Unless they want to bring back Army mules.....

They seem to have already done so.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2009/0504/p22s01-usmi.html