Af/Pak & Other News (11/20/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Nov 20, 2012, 12:51:46 PM11/20/12
Pakistan, Afghan army chiefs, Isaf commander meet in Kabul:

http://dawn.com/2012/11/20/pakistan-afghan-army-chiefs-isaf-commander-meet-in-kabul/

Four Calif. men arrested for plotting attacks against US in
Afghanistan:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/20/15299647-four-calif-men-arrested-for-plotting-attacks-against-us-in-afghanistan

Karzai Orders Afghan Forces to Take Control of American-Built Prison:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/20/world/asia/karzai-orders-takeover-of-afghan-prison.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&ref=world&adxnnlx=1353429978-Z3InsYduBLSBs1l0D7Bctw

France ends combat mission in Afghanistan:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hSR9sSRgQ_JFTDLIWcC4_kSJAlgQ?docId=CNG.a711be44c47c225c3590da1ac91c4942.6a1

UN: Afghan Opium Poppy Cultivation up 18 Percent:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/afghan-opium-poppy-cultivation-18-percent-17766035

Blast kills ex-Taliban who joined Afghan police:

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2019712101_apasafghanistan.html

Indian Maoists facing ammunition shortages:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Indian_Maoists_facing_ammunition_shortages_999.html

Kurdish Commander Warns of Battle Against Iraq:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/iraqi-president-heads-tense-kurdish-area-17762935

Assad troops fight to oust rebels from Damascus:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/20/us-syria-crisis-idUSBRE88J0X720121120

Britain recognizes Syrian opposition, joining France, European Union:

http://news.msn.com/world/britain-recognizes-syrian-opposition-joining-france-european-union

Israeli aircraft hit Hamas bank HQ in Gaza:

http://news.yahoo.com/israeli-aircraft-hit-hamas-bank-hq-gaza-061135463.html

Truce mediator Egypt sees imminent end to Gaza conflict:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/20/us-palestinians-israel-hamas-idUSBRE8AD0WP20121120

Anonymous Is Losing Its War Against Israel:

http://gizmodo.com/5961685/anonymous-is-losing-its-war-against-israel?tag=hackers

F-16s vs. M16s? Gaza Conflict Revives Old Debate:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20121119/DEFREG04/311190011/F-16s-vs-M16s-Gaza-Conflict-Revives-Old-Debate?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Israel broadens Iron Dome coverage:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/israel-broadens-iron-dome-coverage-379241/

Iron Dome Spoils The Hamas Surprise Attack:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htada/articles/20121120.aspx

Congolese rebels seize Goma, take airport:

http://news.msn.com/world/congolese-rebels-seize-goma-take-airport

Zambian Air Force incapable of defending national airspace - President
Sata:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28598:zambian-air-force-incapable-of-defending-national-airspace-president-sata&catid=35:Aerospace&Itemid=107

Russia Developing 200-km Range Rocket System:

http://www.defencetalk.com/russia-developing-200-km-range-rocket-system-45573/

Poland arrests bomb plotter linked to Norway's Breivik:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/20/us-poland-attack-idUSBRE8AJ0HQ20121120

Avic Promotes J-31 As An Export Fighter:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_11_19_2012_p26-517474.xml

Philippines: Military to buy 2 anti-submarine choppers:

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2012/11/19/868597/military-buy-2-anti-submarine-choppers

US Plans Javelin Sales to Indonesia, Oman:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/140349/us-plans-javelin-sales-to-indonesia%2C-oman.html

Last Boeing P-8 Poseidon LRIP I aircraft almost ready for delivery:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/11/last-boeing-p-8-poseidon-lrip.html

BAE Banking on Hybrid-Electric Combat Vehicle:

http://defensetech.org/2012/11/20/bae-banking-on-hybrid-electric-combat-vehicle/

563rd Rescue Group Receives First Combat Ready HC-130J Combat King II:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/140337/first-combat-ready-hc_130j-enters-service.html

Ban killer robots – Human Rights Watch:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28587:ban-killer-robots--human-rights-watch&catid=50:Land&Itemid=105

US Navy's transition from Prowlers to Growlers proceeding smoothly:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/11/us-navys-transition-from-prowl.html

U.S. Navy, Northrop Grumman Conducting Triton Ground Testing:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/140338/us-navy%2C-northrop-in-triton-uav-ground-testing.html

Silent but Deadly: Special Forces Seek Quiet, Subsonic Bullets:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/11/subsonic-bullets/

U.S. Navy Sticks To Bold Course With Zumwalt Destroyer:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_11_19_2012_p12-512525.xml

FBI releases files of Stalin's daughter:

http://news.msn.com/world/fbi-releases-files-of-stalins-daughter

Grantland

Nov 20, 2012, 1:34:06 PM11/20/12
Silent but Deadly: Special Forces Seek Quiet, Subsonic Bullets:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/11/subsonic-bullets/

Bullshit article.

Grantland

David E. Powell

Nov 22, 2012, 9:40:03 AM11/22/12
Not at all. In the early 1990s 9mm Subsonic was even considered the hot 9mm defense and law enforcement round. That thinking has changed a bit, but the 9mm subsonic rounds are still made, and bought up by civilian shooters as well as police and military for practice and defense.

Of course, the idea of a subsonic bullet being better for use in suppressed or "silenced" weapons goes back many years. The gas from the shot is muffled but if the bullet is supersonic there will still be a sonic crack from the round, a mini sonic boom if you will.

The venerable .45 ACP round showed a bullet can be subsonic and still deadly. It is still plenty fast, moving just under the speed of sound, and has plenty of mass. The standard 9mm is often supersonic, so loading a heavier bullet with less velocity is seen as a compromise, getting it subsonic for use with suppressed weapons while still having lethality. Standard 9mm is 115 to 124 grains, at least in NATO loadings. 9mm Subsonic usually ran at 147 grains if I am not mistaken.

I am sure other calibers can be made subsonic too, some more feasibly than others.

Shoot safe out there!

David

By the way there has been an "Ear safety" drive of sorts to get suppressors and silencers made easier to get in the USA but it hasn't really taken off over here. Most people over here see them and think of Spy movies. In Europe they are considered polite in some places, less noise from firing ranges and all. Interesting world we live in, neh?

Addendum on the 9mm, the ".45 like" blend of higher weight and slower speed in the 9mm Subsonic round had some early 1990s pistoleros thinking it would have more stopping power as a result, but, well, the thinking is drifting back another direction. Of course any factory 9mm round will work mostly due to how well the shooter places the bullet. Ah if only we spent as much time actually practicing as debating, nitpicking and arguing over this many grains of powder or that many of projectile or this or that new firearm or "tactical accessory." I guess with ammo costs these days talk is actually cheaper so.... ;)

For a non-pistol weapon in .45 that used that round with a suppressor, google "De Lisle Carbine."

David E. Powell

Nov 22, 2012, 9:54:02 AM11/22/12
P.S. Use of polymer clad ammunition has been done too, google "Federal Nyclad."

I suppose the exact polymers used in a lower velocity rifle bullet would be interesting and maybe classified.

The big questions in a rifle are:

1 - What is the effect on trajectory of the round being subsonic? How long are the shots going to be? A slower bullet will drop more over distance and fall to earth within a shorter distance. (Note, a shorter distance, not necessarily a shorter time.) They will need very consistent quality and data on the new loads, definitely, if they are planning for anything other than close range use. (Frankly, if you need to shoot in close the pistol and pistol caliber weapons like submachine guns or carbines will still suffice.)

2 - What effect will the lower velocity have on stopping power? Close in it will probably still be powerful, as the rifle bullets should retain their mass or even gain some, especially in the case of rounds in the 7.62mm range or higher calibers. Over a distance, though, there are again questions.

3 - If the rifle is an autoloader, whether a fully automatic or semi-automatic weapon, how will it be cycled? As many are gas operated I would guess the gas systems would have to be fitzed with a bit, and there is also the issue of that polymer cladding, and making sure it will not clog ports.

4 - I am guessing it will be for only a few ops, as it will probably be quite expensive to engineer and to make while the usual ammunition will be seen as OK for usual duty use.

Grantland

Nov 22, 2012, 11:39:30 AM11/22/12
On Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:40:03 PM UTC+2, David E. Powell wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:34:06 PM UTC-5, Grantland wrote:
>
> > Silent but Deadly: Special Forces Seek Quiet, Subsonic Bullets:
>

> > http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/11/subsonic-bullets/
>

> > Bullshit article.
>

> > Grantland
>

> Not at all. In the early 1990s 9mm Subsonic was even considered the hot 9mm defense and law enforcement round. That thinking has changed a bit, but the 9mm subsonic rounds are still made, and bought up by civilian shooters as well as police and military for practice and defense.
>

> Of course, the idea of a subsonic bullet being better for use in suppressed or "silenced" weapons goes back many years. The gas from the shot is muffled but if the bullet is supersonic there will still be a sonic crack from the round, a mini sonic boom if you will.
>

> The venerable .45 ACP round showed a bullet can be subsonic and still deadly. It is still plenty fast, moving just under the speed of sound, and has plenty of mass. The standard 9mm is often supersonic, so loading a heavier bullet with less velocity is seen as a compromise, getting it subsonic for use with suppressed weapons while still having lethality. Standard 9mm is 115 to 124 grains, at least in NATO loadings. 9mm Subsonic usually ran at 147 grains if I am not mistaken.
>

> I am sure other calibers can be made subsonic too, some more feasibly than others.
>

> Shoot safe out there!
>

> David

Exactly. That's why the article is bullshit.

Grantland

> By the way there has been an "Ear safety" drive of sorts to get suppressors and silencers made easier to get in the USA but it hasn't really taken off over here. Most people over here see them and think of Spy movies. In Europe they are considered polite in some places, less noise from firing ranges and all. Interesting world we live in, neh?
>

> Addendum on the 9mm, the ".45 like" blend of higher weight and slower speed in the 9mm Subsonic round had some early 1990s pistoleros thinking it would have more stopping power as a result, but, well, the thinking is drifting back another direction. Of course any factory 9mm round will work mostly due to how well the shooter places the bullet. Ah if only we spent as much time actually practicing as debating, nitpicking and arguing over this many grains of powder or that many of projectile or this or that new firearm or "tactical accessory." I guess with ammo costs these days talk is actually cheaper so.... ;)
>

> For a non-pistol weapon in .45 that used that round with a suppressor, google "De Lisle Carbine."

In other words, all the worries about poor accuracy, obturation problems, lead "burning" etc are bullshit.

Keith W

Nov 22, 2012, 11:44:43 AM11/22/12
David E. Powell wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:34:06 PM UTC-5, Grantland wrote:
>> Silent but Deadly: Special Forces Seek Quiet, Subsonic Bullets:
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/11/subsonic-bullets/
>>
>> Bullshit article.
>>
>> Grantland
>
> Not at all. In the early 1990s 9mm Subsonic was even considered the
> hot 9mm defense and law enforcement round. That thinking has changed
> a bit, but the 9mm subsonic rounds are still made, and bought up by
> civilian shooters as well as police and military for practice and
> defense.

It was popular a little before that, the original Saint books
by Leslie Charteris written in the late 1920's mentioned that
he used a 9mm pistol with reduced charge ammunition.

Keith