German Schlorwagen with Prop-Drive

Rob Arndt

Jan 10, 2010, 12:11:00 PM1/10/10

Dean

Jan 11, 2010, 8:53:52 AM1/11/10

A solution to stop tailgaters! LOL

Rob Arndt

Jan 11, 2010, 11:17:45 AM1/11/10

The original AVA wind tunnel tested streamlined car achieved a drag
coefficient of 0.113 and was actually due for production in 1939. But
the war stopped that plan and instead it lay in storage for a few
years until someone decided to make it into some form of prop-driven
snow vehicle for Russia. However, it was sent to Finland instead and
experimented with before it returned to Germany before May 1945 and
was seized by the British in their zone and supposedly taken back to
London where it might still reside somewhere!!!

Here is the aerodynamic tunnel version:
ttp://www.meinklassiker.com/image.php?type=paragraph_top&id=3841

The Schlorwagen was named after Dipl-Ing Karl Schlor of Krauss-Maffei
who took the aerodynamic model and made it into a production car with
a drag coefficient of 0.18. It achieved 85 mph on the autobahn and got
approx. 20 mpg. It was very streamlined and superior to the Kdf Wagen.
It would not be that out of place even today.

As a German snow vehicle I do not understand why they made it a
tractor prop instead of a pusher? The tires would have been replaced
with skis, but it never worked out. The German Army confiscated
Russian Aerosans instead and armed them!

Mercedes also had a streamlined car for production by 1939 built on a
170H chassis, but it was inferior to the Schlorwagen which used a 170V
chassis.

Rob

LIBERATOR

Jan 12, 2010, 7:23:25 PM1/12/10

LOL...

Porsche had to been involved, his persona of "any and all is a
possibility and I'll try it all".

LIBERATOR

Jan 12, 2010, 7:23:55 PM1/12/10

AGREED!!

Rob Arndt

Jan 12, 2010, 10:13:15 PM1/12/10

Porsche was not involved at all AFAIK. Prior to Schlor arriving, it
was an AVA test vehicle for aerodynamic streamlining using a Mercedes
chassis...

Rob

LIBERATOR

Jan 14, 2010, 4:08:43 AM1/14/10

Well perhaps they knew him and were copying his style.

Rob Arndt

Jan 14, 2010, 11:59:59 AM1/14/10
> Well perhaps they knew him and were copying his style.- Hide quoted text -

Mark,

The Schlorwagen started-off as an aerodynamic test vehicle while the
Kdf wagen designed by Porsche from Hitler's sketches was first a mere
wooden mock-up. There is no comparison and also... you might want to
consider the fact that other nations had the "bug" look too during the
1930s. The Schlorwagen in the wind tunnel was more like a turtle shape
shell and nicknamed the "tortoise" while testing. The finished
production car lost the full aerodynamic shell and was just
streamlined- the effect took it from the ultra-low drag coefficient of
0.113 all the way up to 0.18 (which was still excellent, but no longer
a test vehicle). I wonder how much drag the huge propeller-drive
installation caused?

Anyway, you need to stop with the entire "copying" thing with German
stuff. There were German things that were copied or stolen, and others
that were not. Many German things "inspired" other designs as well.

I provided the Schlorwagen history, so why do you insist on trying to
add to it?

It's like your sole purpose here on RAM is not to contribute anything
to aviation at all, but just to make idiotic comments and cause
trouble.

I think you need to spend less time online and more time trying to get
a job and stop wandering around Colorado, homeless, and dwelling on
the Third Reich.

Rob

Timur

Jan 14, 2010, 8:46:21 PM1/14/10
alt.binaries.pictures.military

LIBERATOR

Jan 15, 2010, 4:16:06 AM1/15/10
> Rob-

Well for crying out loud... I give positive appreciation to your post
and you scold me.

Contribute anything to aviation at all? Well, I disagree.