Af/Pak & Other News (6/18/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Jun 18, 2012, 2:14:32 PM6/18/12
Suicide bomber kills Afghan Local Police commander:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/06/suicide_bomber_kills_67.php

'Diet or quit' Pakistan tells pot-bellied police:

http://india.nydailynews.com/newsarticle/4fdf4316b1e35d4e01000007/diet-or-quit-pakistan-tells-pot-bellied-police

Car bomb kills Pakistan students: police:

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/2/9/45480/World/International/Car-bomb-kills-Pakistan-students-police.aspx

Target al Qaeda: An inside look at Obama’s drone program:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-players-abc-news/target-al-qaeda-inside-look-obama-drone-program-100600435.html;_ylt=AooyrNjocRrngxOPVX42D2Ks0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNsNDBxcXV2BG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBGUARwa2cDYTE1NDAzZjEtNjhjYS0zZjJkLWJiNjEtZjEzZDMxY2ZlMzFiBHBvcwMxBHNlYwN0b3Bfc3RvcnkEdmVyAzUzOWM2OTYwLWI5NGYtMTFlMS04ZmVkLWRiNWQ3NWFiNzI1Ng--;_ylg=X3oDMTFlamZvM2ZlBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

IN FOCUS: K-MAX variant offers glimpse of pilotless future:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/in-focus-k-max-variant-offers-glimpse-of-pilotless-future-373066/

Iran, world powers fail to bridge nuclear impasse:

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/afp/iran-world-powers-fail-to-bridge-nuclear-impasse/525165

Suicide bomber kills senior south Yemen army general:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26255:suicide-bomber-kills-senior-south-yemen-army-general&catid=52:Human%20Security&Itemid=114

Yemenis say al Qaeda gave town security, at a cost:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-yemen-jaarbre85h0d1-20120618,0,7093956.story

Syrian forces pound cities; Russia readies marines:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCABRE85D0IS20120618

Russian sending two warships to Syrian coast: report:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Russian_sending_two_warships_to_Syrian_coast_report_999.html

Israel slams Egypt over lax security in Sinai:

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/World/Story/STIStory_812361.html

IAF may use new sensor to root out terrorists:

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=274098

Egypt’s Ruling Generals Soften Tone as Islamist Wins Presidency:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/world/africa/islamist-candidate-is-apparent-victor-in-egypt-as-military-cements-its-powers.html?_r=1

More Rooivalk Helicopters Added to SAAF Arsenal:

http://www.defencetalk.com/more-rooivalk-helicopters-added-to-saaf-arsenal-43207/

Royal Navy destroys mine in Mediterranean:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26270:royal-navy-destroys-mine-in-mediterranean&catid=108:maritime-security&Itemid=233

Rolls-Royce awarded £1bn contract for UK nuclear submarines:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18491299

Initial Army Trials for Tiger HAD:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/136081/french-army-tests-new-tiger-had-variant.html

Iveco Delivers First Guarani AFV to Brazilian Army:

http://www.defencetalk.com/iveco-delivers-first-guarani-afv-to-brazilian-army-43203/

China: Philippines Pullout From Shoal Calms Tension:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120618/DEFREG03/306180004/China-Philippines-Pullout-From-Shoal-Calms-Tension?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

HMAS Choules:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/136068/new-ran-ship-aborts-first-operational-cruise.html

South Korean missile defense system to connect with American Patriots:

http://alert5.com/2012/06/18/south-korean-missile-defense-system-to-connect-with-american-patriots/

War With Friends: Pentagon Eyes a Drone App Store:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/drone-app-store/

U.S. Amphib Skirts Major Deployments for 8 Years:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120618/DEFREG02/306180002/U-S-Amphib-Skirts-Major-Deployments-8-Years?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Andrew Swallow

Jun 18, 2012, 4:33:18 PM6/18/12
On 18/06/2012 19:14, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Yemenis say al Qaeda gave town security, at a cost:
>
> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-yemen-jaarbre85h0d1-20120618,0,7093956.story

Why do pro-Western governments have trouble enforcing law and order?

We have laws against robbery and murder. Police forces, courts and
jails exist to punish naughty people.

Andrew Swallow

Jim Wilkins

Jun 18, 2012, 4:46:01 PM6/18/12

"Andrew Swallow" <am.sw...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> On 18/06/2012 19:14, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Yemenis say al Qaeda gave town security, at a cost:
>>
>> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-yemen-jaarbre85h0d1-20120618,0,7093956.story
>
> Why do pro-Western governments have trouble enforcing law and order?
>
> Andrew Swallow

Because their inner workings and problems are more visible to us than
anti-Westerrn governments?

Andrew Swallow

Jun 19, 2012, 2:59:46 PM6/19/12
It could be that robbery is hidden in dictatorships. Either that or the
crooks are so frightened of the government that they do not steal.

Andrew Swallow

Message has been deleted

Andrew Swallow

Jun 20, 2012, 5:47:30 AM6/20/12
On 20/06/2012 07:47, Jeff wrote:

>>> Because their inner workings and problems are more visible to us than
>>> anti-Westerrn governments?
>>
>> It could be that robbery is hidden in dictatorships. Either that or the
>> crooks are so frightened of the government that they do not steal.
>>
>> Andrew Swallow
>>

> or it is the government that is doing the stealing.
>
> Jeff

Frequently true but not in the case of street muggings.

Andrew Swallow

SolomonW

Jun 20, 2012, 11:38:42 AM6/20/12
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:14:32 -0700 (PDT), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Egypt’s Ruling Generals Soften Tone as Islamist Wins Presidency:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/world/africa/islamist-candidate-is-apparent-victor-in-egypt-as-military-cements-its-powers.html?_r=1

If the Muslim Brotherhood takes over, then soon the Egyptian generals will
be sacked and face court. I am also sure that many of them have much to
answer for like Hosni Mubarak or perhaps like the Turkish officers they
will be charged with fake charges. Either way they cannot stand down.