Af/Pak & Other News (1/11/2013)

dump...@hotmail.com

Jan 11, 2013, 12:48:37 PM1/11/13
How Not to Rebuild a War-Torn Country:

http://nation.time.com/2013/01/11/how-not-to-rebuild-a-war-torn-country/

ISAF kills IMU facilitator in Afghan north:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2013/01/isaf_kills_imu_facil.php

Obama, Karzai to discuss future U.S.-Afghanistan relations:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-34222_162-57563432-10391739/obama-karzai-to-discuss-future-u.s.-afghanistan-relations/

Is Afghanistan Ready for A Complete Pullout?:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/141564/is-afghanistan-ready-for-a-complete-pullout%3F.html

Pakistani Shiites Protest After Bombings Kill 120:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/pakistani-shiites-protest-bombings-kill-120-18190582

The USA’s M4 Carbine Controversy:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-usas-m4-carbine-controversy-03289/

British forces to be equipped with Glock pistols for protection in
Afghanistan:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/11/british-forces-afghanistan-glock-pistols

“Just the Kinetic Fight”:

http://nation.time.com/2013/01/09/just-the-kinetic-fight/

'Key al Qaeda paramilitary commander' killed in recent drone strike in
Pakistan:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2013/01/key_al_qaeda_paramil.php

Iran plans film in response to Ben Affleck's 'Argo':

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/iran-plans-film-in-response-to-ben-affleck-s-argo-1.493453

Iraq threatens to seize oil shipments, sue dealers:

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2013/Jan-11/201851-iraq-threatens-to-seize-oil-shipments-sue-dealers.ashx#axzz2HgWws9Ri

Officials: Inmates seize weapons, escape from prison in Iraq:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/01/11/officials-inmates-seize-weapons-escape-from-prison-in-iraq/

Syria rebels seize base as envoy holds talks:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-syria-crisisbre90a0nh-20130111,0,1966062.story

Top U.S. General Says Stopping a Syrian Chemical Attack Is ‘Almost
Unachievable’:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/01/syria-chem-military/

NATO Allies Hold Off on Weapons, Military Support for Syrian Rebels:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130111/DEFREG04/301110010/NATO-Allies-Hold-Off-Weapons-Military-Support-Syrian-Rebels?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Tunisia takes delivery of two Patrouiller patrol boats:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28973:tunisia-takes-delivery-of-two-patrouiller-patrol-boats&catid=51:Sea&Itemid=106

Somali Pirate Kingpin Calls It Quits as Hijackings Plummet:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/01/pirate-kingpin/

Royal Navy to face surveillance, transport helicopter shortages:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/royal-navy-to-face-surveillance-transport-helicopter-shortages-380947/

The Coming Russian Naval Modernization:

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2013/01/the-coming-russian-naval-modernization.html

Ex-Russia defence chief faces graft charges:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jJ3cZ9TTeApmtmSxshSbhcXwxIvA?docId=CNG.88b43ed87f5f35ef5a8340ffa9439648.5c1

Air Defence Missile IRIS-T SL Tested Successfully:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/141566/test-success-for-iris_t-air_defense-variant.html

Anti-aircraft laser weapon demonstrated:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Anti-aircraft_laser_weapon_demonstrated_999.html

Slaying Puts Spotlight on Kurdish Female Warriors:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/slaying-puts-spotlight-kurdish-female-warriors-18190532

Behind the numbers: are the UK's top military procurements still a
mess?:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/01/behind-the-numbers-are-the-uks.html

U.S. Now Targeting Mexican Drug Lord’s Family, Too:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/01/sinaloa-family/

China 'launches fighters' amid Japan dispute:

http://www.france24.com/en/20130111-china-launches-fighters-amid-japan-dispute

China could carry out another ASAT/BMD test soon:

http://alert5.com/2013/01/11/china-could-carry-out-another-asatbmd-test-soon/

US reportedly tested secret 'tsunami bomb' off New Zealand coast:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/02/us-reportedly-tested-secret-tsunami-bomb-off-new-zealand-coast/

TRADOC Sees Role of Army Aviation Growing While Force Downsizes:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/141563/us-army-aviation-to-grow-while-force-downsizes.html

Cloud Of Iron: DARPA Hardens Cloud Computing Against Cyber Attack:

http://defense.aol.com/2013/01/10/cloud-of-iron-darpa-hardens-cloud-computing-against-cyber-attac/

Darpa Open Sources Code for Building Your Own Amphibious Tank:

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/01/darpa-fang/

Strategic Alliance Produces Ground-breaking Infrared Countermeasure
Technology for Northrop Grumman's ASALTT Product Line:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/141561/new-technology-for-ir-countermeasures.html

Navy Goes to Great Depths to Determine Cause of Air Force Crash:

http://nation.time.com/2013/01/10/navy-goes-to-great-depths-to-determine-cause-of-air-force-cause/

Army Nicknames AH-64E 'Guardian' -- Shoulda Been 'Monster':

http://defense.aol.com/2013/01/11/army-nicknames-ah-64e-guardian-shoulda-been-monster/

$17,000 Linux-powered rifle brings “auto-aim” to the real world:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/17000-linux-powered-rifle-brings-auto-aim-to-the-real-world/

dott.Piergiorgio

Jan 11, 2013, 4:11:14 PM1/11/13
Il 11/01/2013 18:48, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
> $17,000 Linux-powered rifle brings “auto-aim” to the real world:
>
> http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/17000-linux-powered-rifle-brings-auto-aim-to-the-real-world/

I'm not surprised of the choice of OS: having a BSOD when an angry
grizzily bear is charging, is literally it, blue screen of DEATH.

(I guess that is a refreshing change, having computer partisanism
instead of political one...)

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

Dennis

Jan 12, 2013, 6:53:04 PM1/12/13
dott.Piergiorgio wrote:

> Il 11/01/2013 18:48, om ha scritto:
>> $17,000 Linux-powered rifle brings �auto-aim� to the real world:
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/17000-linux-powered-rifle-bring
>> s-auto-aim-to-the-real-world/
>
> I'm not surprised of the choice of OS: having a BSOD when an angry
> grizzily bear is charging, is literally it, blue screen of DEATH.
>
> (I guess that is a refreshing change, having computer partisanism
> instead of political one...)

LOL!!! Good one!

Though it sounds like this is more of a sniper's rifle.

Dennis

Daryl

Jan 12, 2013, 7:44:54 PM1/12/13
It appears that this site really has a military application. So
the market it to todays gun nut as a hunting tool for deer.

Yes, everyone should own at least one on top of a 338 for that
1200 yard shot for home protection.

Seriously, I don't see anything wrong with owning one but, get
real, call it what it really is. It's a sniper scope.

Daryl

--
http://tvmoviesforfree.com
for free movies and Nostalgic TV. Tons of Military shows and