Af/Pak & Other News (10/18/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Oct 19, 2012, 4:08:38 AM10/19/12
U.S. Army Contractor In Hot Water Over Afghan Video:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20121018/DEFREG02/310180001/U-S-Army-Contractor-Hot-Water-Over-Afghan-Video?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

British General Reports on Afghanistan Progress:

http://www.defpro.com/news/details/40442/?SID=ae68adf7b19caea864742283bd5ca252

JIEDDO beyond Afghanistan:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/10/18/jieddos-survival-beyond-afghanistan/

US sees potential for wider anti-Taliban uprising:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501712_162-57535318/us-sees-potential-for-wider-anti-taliban-uprising/

Afghan police school tries to fix struggling force:

http://www.chron.com/news/world/article/Afghan-police-school-tries-to-fix-struggling-force-3962640.php

Pakistanis debate real enemy: girl-shooting Taliban or drone-firing
US:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-South-Central/2012/1018/Pakistanis-debate-real-enemy-girl-shooting-Taliban-or-drone-firing-US

US adds IMU financier, Taliban IED experts to terror list:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/10/us_adds_imu_financie.php

Navy to go after rats, mold in Gitmo legal offices:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hkZ0eW7uXCxKxF0VCgELBpuKhcXw?docId=efe0eadc60484ad5bb3171e820053ddc

Army Fields Next-Generation Radar:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/139438/us-army-fields-next_generation-radar.html

India’s cabinet clears purchase of air-launched BrahMos:

http://alert5.com/2012/10/19/indias-cabinet-clears-purchase-of-air-launched-brahmos/

Treasury 'further exposes' Iran-al Qaeda relationship:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/10/treasury_further_exp.php

Yemen: Rampaging Death Squads:

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/yemen/articles/20121018.aspx

AQAP leader, 8 fighters killed in US drone strike in Yemen:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/10/aqap_leader_8_fighte.php

Iraq calls for faster arms deliveries, nears F-16 deal:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Iraq_calls_for_faster_arms_deliveries_nears_F-16_deal_999.html

Turkish Otokar To Launch Production in Kazakhstan:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20121018/DEFREG04/310180003/Turkish-Otokar-Launch-Production-Kazakhstan?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

In Syria, Sunni rebels besiege Shiite villages:

http://news.yahoo.com/syria-sunni-rebels-besiege-shiite-villages-193533327.html;_ylt=AqttEwrbeP0BO15mzhEjHd9vaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTNmMzZpaHNsBG1pdAMEcGtnAzg4MGYzNjU4LWIzODQtMzg0Yi1iNTliLTk5ZDBlNGFlNGU2YgRwb3MDMwRzZWMDbG5fTWlkRWFzdF9nYWwEdmVyA2EwNmZmYTEwLTE5NzQtMTFlMi1iZmVlLTE3OGQ0MjhkY2YxMA--;_ylv=3

Airstrikes in northern Syria kill at least 43:

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_21806213/airstrikes-northern-syria-kill-at-least-43

Revolt of the underclass: Syria rebels carry fury born of
marginalization:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/18/14529598-revolt-of-the-underclass-syria-rebels-carry-fury-born-of-marginalization?lite

2 Zarqawi cousins detained in Jordan after fighting in Syria:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/10/2_zarqawi_cousins_de.php

'Cyprus foils terror attack against Israelis':

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=288429

Hamas releases film recounting details of Gilad Shalit kidnapping:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/hamas-releases-film-recounting-details-of-gilad-shalit-kidnapping.premium-1.470849

Israeli air force completes C-Music test:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/israeli-air-force-completes-c-music-test-377770/

“German Equipment in Hezbollah UAV”:

http://www.israeldefense.com/?CategoryID=483&ArticleID=1696

Israeli UAV made emergency landing in West Bank:

http://alert5.com/2012/10/19/israeli-uav-made-emergency-landing-in-west-bank/

Mystery deepens about US enemy No. 1 in Libya:

http://news.yahoo.com/mystery-deepens-us-enemy-no-1-libya-220952236.html

Libyan Islamist says he was at US consulate during attack:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49471608/ns/world_news-africa/#.UIDndobAjGs

Mali intervention planning intensifies:

http://www.janes.com/products/janes/defence-security-report.aspx?ID=1065972530&channel=defence

Russian Dissident Tweets His ‘Questioning’ by Putin’s Goons:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/10/udaltsov/

Netherlands to Buy AIM-9X-2 Sidewinder Missiles:

http://www.defencetalk.com/netherlands-to-buy-aim-9x-2-sidewinder-missiles-45180/

Switzerland completes Israeli UAV evaluations:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/switzerland-completes-israeli-uav-evaluations-377780/

Sim Ship: Royal Navy’s Realistic Bridge Trains Officers on Dry Land:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/10/royal-navy-sim-ship/

Czech Police Crack Arms Gang Smuggling Tank Parts:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20121018/DEFREG01/310180002/Czech-Police-Crack-Arms-Gang-Smuggling-Tank-Parts?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Britain seeking ‘Xbox generation’ spies:

http://www.defencetalk.com/britain-seeking-xbox-generation-spies-45207/

Argentine military official resigns over warship seizure:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Argentine_military_official_resigns_over_warship_seizure_999.html

Second man arrested in plot to bomb US Federal Reserve: NYT:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/19/us-usa-crime-bombplot-idUSBRE89I08Q20121019

Navy Fears Pentagon Neglects New Missile Sub; SSBN(X) Must Survive
Almost 80 Years:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/10/18/navy-fears-pentagon-neglects-new-missile-sub-ssbn-x-must-survi/

Light Armor Is Getting Heavy Attention:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_10_15_2012_p10-500351.xml

Cyber Experts Engage on DARPA’s Plan X:

http://www.darpa.mil/NewsEvents/Releases/2012/10/17.aspx

Darpa Wants to Find Hidden Bombs the Way Doctors Find Breast Cancer:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/10/darpa-breast-cancer/

Pentagon’s top weapon tester says Advanced Anti-Radiation Guided
Missile “not operationally effective”:

http://alert5.com/2012/10/19/pentagons-top-weapon-tester-says-advanced-anti-radiation-guided-missile-not-operationally-effective/

VIDEO: F-35A Drops 2,000-Pound JDAM:

http://blogs.defensenews.com/intercepts/2012/10/video-f-35a-drops-2000-pound-jdam/

U.S. Air Force Nears SDB Integration On F-16s:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/asd_10_18_2012_p02-01-508097.xml

MARINE CORPS: Light Armored Vehicles to Stay in Service Until 2035:

http://4gwar.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/marine-corps-light-armored-vehicles-to-stay-in-service-until-2035/

Crash Drives Air Force to Restart CV-22 Pilot Formation Training:
EXCLUSIVE:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/10/17/crash-drives-air-force-to-restart-cv-22-pilot-formation-training/?icid=trending1

USAF releases draft T-X KPPs:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/10/usaf-releases-draft-t-x-kpps.html

Andrew Swallow

Oct 19, 2012, 6:53:34 AM10/19/12
On 19/10/2012 09:08, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> US sees potential for wider anti-Taliban uprising:
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501712_162-57535318/us-sees-potential-for-wider-anti-taliban-uprising/

Whether village based vigilantes/militias are the correct way to remove
the Taliban I do not know. However once they have been removed a weekly
patrol where the locals are asked if any outsiders are causing problems
will help prevent the Taliban from returning.

Andrew Swallow

Bill

Oct 19, 2012, 7:59:21 AM10/19/12
Translation of original story:

For reasons unknown, but possibly related to local relations between
the village maliks and some Taliban from another area, the lashkar of
the tribe expelled the Taliban from their area.

US officials hope this will be a trend, anyone who knows about
Pathans realises that this is almost certainly a localised incident
and has more to do with personalities than anything else...

Andrew Swallow

Oct 19, 2012, 12:15:22 PM10/19/12
Divide and conquer.

Where the Taliban are from out of town, say Pakistan, they are not
family. When they boss everyone around with lots of new rules they are
likely to upset lots of people including the tribal Lashkar.

Even arguments in 10% of the villages will upset the Taliban's control
and disrupt the drugs trade.

Andrew Swallow

Bill

Oct 19, 2012, 12:25:56 PM10/19/12
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:15:22 +0100, Andrew Swallow
<am.sw...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On 19/10/2012 12:59, Bill wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 11:53:34 +0100, Andrew Swallow
>> <am.sw...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> Whether village based vigilantes/militias are the correct way to remove
>>> the Taliban I do not know. However once they have been removed a weekly
>>> patrol where the locals are asked if any outsiders are causing problems
>>> will help prevent the Taliban from returning.
>>
>> Translation of original story:
>>
>> For reasons unknown, but possibly related to local relations between
>> the village maliks and some Taliban from another area, the lashkar of
>> the tribe expelled the Taliban from their area.
>>
>> US officials hope this will be a trend, anyone who knows about
>> Pathans realises that this is almost certainly a localised incident
>> and has more to do with personalities than anything else...
>>

>Divide and conquer.
>
>Where the Taliban are from out of town, say Pakistan, they are not
>family. When they boss everyone around with lots of new rules they are
>likely to upset lots of people including the tribal Lashkar.

The Afghan Taliban are not from Pakistan.

The Pakistani Taliban are from Pakistan...

The Afghan Taliban is Pakistani sponsored.

Who sponsors the Pakistani Taliban is something of a mystery, but
quite possibly very wealthy businessmen from South Waziristan .

>Even arguments in 10% of the villages will upset the Taliban's control
>and disrupt the drugs trade.

Who do you think controls the drug trade?

It certainly isn't the Taliban who, at best, tax it.

Or do you think the maliks get their money by being good honest
traders?

Andrew Swallow

Oct 19, 2012, 12:42:15 PM10/19/12
Most terrorist organisations turn to crime to get their money. They
have guns, are used to moving things secretly and the criminals cannot
call the cops.

Andrew Swallow

Bill

Oct 19, 2012, 2:54:05 PM10/19/12
The Taliban are most certainly not a terrorist organisation.

Jeffrey Hamilton

Oct 19, 2012, 3:01:40 PM10/19/12
Here is a site that doesn't request money for this story.

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=288437

...and here is another.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/hamas-releases-shalit-kidnapping-docu-drama/

cheers....Jeff