Af/Pak & Other News (11/28/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Nov 28, 2012, 12:53:08 PM11/28/12
ISAF airstrike kills Taliban commander behind instability in central
Afghanistan:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/11/isaf_airstrike_kills_taliban_c.php

Report: Hundreds of millions smuggled out of Afghan bank:

http://news.msn.com/world/report-hundreds-of-millions-smuggled-out-of-afghan-bank

Pakistan test-fires nuclear-capable missile:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501712_162-57555735/pakistan-test-fires-nuclear-capable-missile/

Afghanistan withdrawal plans progress:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/11/27/afghanistan-withdrawal-plans-progress/

When In Doubt, Run Like Hell:

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/india/articles/20121128.aspx

Good News from Kabul: A More Peaceful Ashura This Year:

http://nation.time.com/2012/11/28/good-news-from-kabul-a-more-peaceful-ashura-this-year/

Afghan students demand reprieve for green-on-blue killer:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/11/afghan_students_demand_repriev.php

India Issues RFP For 56 Cargo Aircraft:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/asd_11_27_2012_p03-02-521298.xml

Iran "will press on with enrichment" - nuclear chief:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/28/nuclear-iran-idUSL5E8MS7JP20121128

Iran showcases new warships near strategic waters:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/middle-east/2012/11/28/iran-showcases-new-warships-near-strategic-waters/mcNDiBxKhc9amJ6PgeLM2O/story.html

AP: Diagram suggests Iran working on nuclear bomb:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57554866/ap-diagram-suggests-iran-working-on-nuclear-bomb/

Bank Hackers Deny They’re Agents of Iran:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/11/bank-hackers-deny-theyre-agents-of-iran/

U.S. Buys Yemen a Fleet of Spy Planes for Growing Shadow War:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/11/yemen-spy-planes/

Gunmen kill Saudi diplomat, guard in Yemen capital:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j53RdeOeMFQFVIxgPbFdfaadzkxA?docId=CNG.23c5b5c2a75a54fb5f30211015b4fba3.291

Syrian war clouds Turkish plan to clear land mines:

http://news.msn.com/world/syrian-war-clouds-turkish-plan-to-clear-land-mines

Syria's stalemated conflict picks up speed again:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/terrorism-security/2012/1128/Syria-s-stalemated-conflict-picks-up-speed-again

At least 50 killed in Damascus car bombs:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/9707752/At-least-50-killed-in-Damascus-car-bombs.html

Syria rebels 'capture pilot of downed warplane':

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iY78EnFfNzy6LiXUIJM_8bsytm-A?docId=CNG.23c5b5c2a75a54fb5f30211015b4fba3.1e1

Syria rebels use new arms to down chopper:

http://www.defencetalk.com/syria-rebels-use-new-arms-to-down-chopper-45698/

Palestinians win more European support for limited statehood:

http://news.msn.com/world/palestinians-win-more-european-support-for-limited-statehood-2

Gazans thank Iran for help in battling Israel:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501713_162-57555893/gazans-thank-iran-for-help-in-battling-israel/

Egypt protests continue for 6th day in crisis over Morsi powers:

http://news.msn.com/world/egypt-protests-continue-for-6th-day-in-crisis-over-morsi-powers

Egypt Court Sentences 8 to Death Over Prophet Film:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/egypt-court-sentences-death-prophet-film-17826395

VMGR-352 refuels French Mirage 2000-5 over Djibouti:

http://alert5.com/2012/11/28/vmgr-352-refuels-french-mirage-2000-5-over-djibouti/

Congo rebels begin slow retreat from Masisi:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_22079918/m23-rebels-say-they-will-leave-congo-city

Russia Develops Aircraft Carrier as Key National Security Element:

http://rusnavy.com/news/navy/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=16559

Improved Capability for Typhoon Fleet:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/140542/bae-completes-upgrade-of-raf-typhoons.html

Chile’s first UAV makes first flight:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/chiles-first-uav-makes-first-flight-379552/

Troops in Japan Told to Put A Cork In It:

http://nation.time.com/2012/11/28/troops-in-japan-told-to-put-a-cork-in-it/

China launches likely reconnaissance satellite constellation:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/china-launches-likely-reconnaissance-satellite-constellation-379465/

Air Forces React To JSF Delays:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_11_26_2012_p22-516490.xml

Study: Keep Investing in Spec Ops, Cyber:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20121127/DEFREG02/311270006/Study-Keep-Investing-Spec-Ops-Cyber?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

US Navy moves to replace presidential helicopters:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/US_Navy_moves_to_replace_presidential_helicopters_999.html

F-22's Success More Than 'Skin Deep':

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/140531/usaf-describes-f_22-%E2%80%9Cstealth%E2%80%9D-maintenance.html

Boeing to design new tail kit for B61 nuclear bomb:

http://alert5.com/2012/11/28/boeing-to-design-new-tail-kit-for-b61-nuclear-bomb/

Combat Smart Phones:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htiw/articles/20121128.aspx

Rise of the Machines: Combat Drones to look for in the near future:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Rise_of_the_Machines_Combat_Drones_to_look_for_in_the_near_future_999.html

Lockheed Martin Demonstrates New Ground-Based Laser System in Tests
Against Rockets and Unmanned Aerial System:

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2012/november/1127-ss-adam.html

How 'Revolutionary' Is CHAMP, New Air Force Microwave Weapon?:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/11/28/how-revolutionary-is-champ-new-air-force-microwave-weapon/

New sensor detects bombs on sea floor:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/New_sensor_detects_bombs_on_sea_floor_999.html

ACLU sues over policy barring women from combat:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/27/us-usa-military-women-idUSBRE8AQ11J20121127

Ultra-Light Machine-gun Passes Tests:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20121128.aspx

NASA Tests Nuclear Reactor:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/28/nasa_nuclear_engine_trials/

Andrew Swallow

Nov 28, 2012, 1:27:08 PM11/28/12
On 28/11/2012 17:53, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Afghan students demand reprieve for green-on-blue killer:
>
> http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/11/afghan_students_demand_repriev.php

That is 500 students on the blacklist. Now for the important security
question - Who organised the demonstration?
It is the ring leaders that need catching and dealing with.

Andrew Swallow

Andrew Swallow

Nov 28, 2012, 1:35:53 PM11/28/12
On 28/11/2012 17:53, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
All court cases are a gamble and like all gambles you need to know when
to walk away. I think women will find that demanding battlefield combat
jobs is one of those. The ACLU is using the law so it is not just the
women volunteers who will get combat but all women conscripts.

Andrew Swallow

Andrew Swallow

Nov 28, 2012, 1:42:42 PM11/28/12
On 28/11/2012 17:53, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
The current size of Flattop nuclear reactor can only power a very small
satellite. Military applications. A large version may be sufficient
for a spy satellite or communications satellite that lives in the shade.
An underwater device such as a deep sea hydrophone may also use this
is a long term power source.

Andrew Swallow

ra...@darkstar.arc.nasa.gov

Nov 28, 2012, 5:19:44 PM11/28/12
In article <5JidnUB8rKiBxivN...@bt.com>,
Andrew Swallow <am.sw...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>The current size of Flattop nuclear reactor can only power a very small
>satellite.

The "current size of Flattop nuclear reactor" isn't a nuclear reactor; it's a
see-how-close-you-can-come-to-a-nuclear-bomb.

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/6463833-PO5QS4/6463833.pdf

"Flattop (Fig. 5) is at the opposite extreme from our
unreflected critical assemblies, as it is a thick natural
uranium reflector (0.48-m o.d.) around spherical cores of
uranium (93.2% U-235 and 98.1% U-233) and plutonium
(94.9% Pu-239)."

--
Kathy Rages

Andrew Swallow

Nov 28, 2012, 10:59:06 PM11/28/12
I thought it looked a bit simple. We will have to ensure that there are
limits on the amount of nuclear material present. It also explains why
they talk about using several reactors rather than single big one.

Andrew Swallow

SolomonW

Nov 29, 2012, 5:02:11 AM11/29/12
In a telephone interview Wednesday, Jones said the ruling ...."We can speak
out here in America," Jones said. "That freedom means that we criticize
government leadership, religion even at times.
Android

> Lockheed Martin Demonstrates New Ground-Based Laser System in Tests
> Against Rockets and Unmanned Aerial System:
>
> http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2012/november/1127-ss-adam.html

Maybe iron dome will get these people to do something.

Keith W

Nov 29, 2012, 2:33:08 PM11/29/12
SolomonW wrote:
>> Egypt Court Sentences 8 to Death Over Prophet Film:
>>
>> http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/egypt-court-sentences-death-prophet-film-17826395
>

> In a telephone interview Wednesday, Jones said the ruling ...."We can
> speak out here in America," Jones said. "That freedom means that we
> criticize government leadership, religion even at times.

Want to bet what his reaction would be if a bunch of
militant atheists made a film about Christ in the same
tenor as his about the Prophet ?

I recall the furore over The Life Of Brian and the film
producers went out of their way to avoid such offense
even going so far as to get the Church of England to
review the script ! The reaction by the reviewer chosen
was eminently sensible. He agreed that it was not blasphemous,
but was "extracting the maximum comedy out of false
religion and religious illusions" adding that he was looking
forward to seeing it.

In the USA it was the first ever film to get an R rating
and protests about the film came from the Catholics,
Lutherans and Orthodox jews.

Rabbi Abraham Hecht described it as being 'produced
in hell' and remarked 'Never have we come across such
a foul, disgusting, blasphemous film before'

Robert EA Lee of the Lutheran Council announced across
the churches nationwide chain of radio stations that
the film was "crude and rude mockery, colossal bad taste,
profane parody. A disgraceful assault on religious sensitivity"

The Catholic church not to be outdone gave it a 'C' for
condemned rating and announced that it would be a sin for
catcholics to watch it.

Of course the result was the best publicity a low budget
film could ever get. John Clees remarked that he felt
they should all have been sent a case of champagne as
they had made the pythons rich and a household name.

Keith

ra...@darkstar.arc.nasa.gov

Nov 29, 2012, 4:30:23 PM11/29/12
In article <VLOts.652241$Tf3.3...@fx12.am4>,
Keith W <keithnosp...@demon.co.uk> wrote:
>SolomonW wrote:
>>
>> In a telephone interview Wednesday, Jones said the ruling ...."We can
>> speak out here in America," Jones said. "That freedom means that we
>> criticize government leadership, religion even at times.
>>

>Want to bet what his reaction would be if a bunch of
>militant atheists made a film about Christ in the same
>tenor as his about the Prophet ?

The one thing we can be sure of is that he wouldn't be sentencing
anybody to death.

>I recall the furore over The Life Of Brian . . .
>
>In the USA it was the first ever film to get an R rating
>and protests about the film came from the Catholics,
>Lutherans and Orthodox jews.

So how many people were sentenced to death over it?

--
Kathy Rages

Keith W

Nov 29, 2012, 5:25:28 PM11/29/12
ra...@darkstar.arc.nasa.gov wrote:
> In article <VLOts.652241$Tf3.3...@fx12.am4>,
> Keith W <keithnosp...@demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> SolomonW wrote:
>>>
>>> In a telephone interview Wednesday, Jones said the ruling ...."We
>>> can speak out here in America," Jones said. "That freedom means
>>> that we criticize government leadership, religion even at times.
>>>

>> Want to bet what his reaction would be if a bunch of
>> militant atheists made a film about Christ in the same
>> tenor as his about the Prophet ?
>
> The one thing we can be sure of is that he wouldn't be sentencing
> anybody to death.

Mainly because he didnt have the authority to do so, historically
Christian leaders have been more than willing to do so.

See Office of the Holy Inquisition

>> I recall the furore over The Life Of Brian . . .
>>
>> In the USA it was the first ever film to get an R rating
>> and protests about the film came from the Catholics,
>> Lutherans and Orthodox jews.
>
> So how many people were sentenced to death over it?

There were a LOT of death threats made and the Pythons
were warned that the police couldnt protect them if they
made public appearances

Now fast forward to The Last Temptation of Christ
where Christians fire bombed a cinema in France
showing the movie and justified the act saying that they
were right in the eyes of god.

Major film distributors such as United Artists and General
Cinemas were blackmailed into boycotting the film and major
video distributors such as Blockbuster banned it. Local
city councils including Savannah, GA, New Orleans,
Oklahoma City, and Santa Ana, CA banned it from being shown.

The author of the story who was Greek was actually
excommunicated for writing it. Martin Scorsese had
to hire security guards 24/7 to protect him from the
followers of the 'gentle Jesus' who wanted to kill him.

Intolerance is hardly a Muslim monopoly. In fact both
Life of Brian and Last Temptation of Christ were
filmed in Muslim countries where Christ is regarded
as an important prophet.

Keith

Jim Wilkins

Nov 29, 2012, 5:33:48 PM11/29/12
"Keith W" <keithnosp...@demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> ...> I recall the furore over The Life Of Brian
> Keith

Romanes eunt domus!

Keith W

Nov 29, 2012, 5:44:32 PM11/29/12
People called Romans they go the house?

Keith

Jim Wilkins

Nov 29, 2012, 6:02:53 PM11/29/12
"Keith W" <keithnosp...@demon.co.uk> wrote in message
My Latin teacher could have been the Centurion's mother, the only
person he feared.
jsw

Keith W

Nov 29, 2012, 6:14:00 PM11/29/12
Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Keith W" <keithnosp...@demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Jim Wilkins wrote:
>>> "Keith W" <keithnosp...@demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Romanes eunt domus!
>>

>> People called Romans they go the house?
>>
>> Keith
>
> My Latin teacher could have been the Centurion's mother, the only
> person he feared.
> jsw

A common nightmare of any 55+ Britain who went to a
public (which means private ) school or a grammar school
swot like me.

The phrase 'conjugate boy - conjugate' still raises the hairs on the
back of my neck.

Keith

dott.Piergiorgio

Nov 29, 2012, 7:09:43 PM11/29/12
LOL !

Jim actually refer to a classic European leftist slogan of the 1970s and
1980s, "Yankee go home", whose good ol' Monty naturally mock with his
renowned style....

of course, now you must implement piglatin(6) in Python as atonement ;D

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Keith W

Nov 30, 2012, 4:46:13 AM11/30/12
dott.Piergiorgio wrote:
> Il 29/11/2012 23:44, Keith W ha scritto:
>> Jim Wilkins wrote:
>>> "Keith W" <keithnosp...@demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Romanes eunt domus!
>>

>> People called Romans they go the house?
>
> LOL !
>
> Jim actually refer to a classic European leftist slogan of the 1970s
> and 1980s, "Yankee go home", whose good ol' Monty naturally mock with
> his renowned style....

I know but "People called Romans they go the house?" was the
response of the Centurion played by John Cleese who based
it on his Latin master at school.

Keith

smharding

Dec 2, 2012, 6:40:27 PM12/2/12
And how many died in any protests?

Pretty much a non-issue today.

I live in an area where one can put up Jewish Minorahs,
Muslim crescents, pagan "somethings" (not sure what they
are) on a local, Massachusetts town common.

But a Christmas tree or (heaven forbid) Manger? Nope.

They do have a "Merry Maple", so I guess that has to do.

SMH