Af/Pak & Other News (6/19/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Jun 19, 2012, 2:31:57 PM6/19/12
Top Pakistan court disqualifies prime minister from office:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/19/12297077-top-pakistan-court-disqualifies-prime-minister-from-office?lite

Afghanistan says Pakistan was involved in sectarian attack:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCABRE85I0MI20120619

RAF Converting 2 Jetliners To Aid Afghan Withdrawal:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120618/DEFREG01/306180009/RAF-Converting-2-Jetliners-Aid-Afghan-Withdrawal?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

2 charged in Afghan mosque bombing that killed 56:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/06/19/international/i012518D36.DTL

PzH 2000 Supports Afghan Police:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.aspx?plckBlogId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post:3c47ed6d-64a8-4b51-959a-d62d7f87122b

More UK Foxhound Vehicles Arrives In Afghanistan:

http://www.defencetalk.com/more-uk-foxhound-vehicles-arrives-in-afghanistan-43240/

Violence spikes across southern Afghanistan:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2012/06/19/3_afghan_police_killed_in_attack_on_checkpoint/

Turkish troops in battles with PKK, 20 killed:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCABRE85I10220120619

US plans significant military presence in Kuwait:

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/US-plans-significant-military-presence-in-Kuwait-3643290.php

Iraqi Suicide Bombing Kills 15 at Shiite Funeral:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/hospital-official-15-iraqis-killed-41-wounded-suicide-16595968

White House, Citing Public’s Right to Know, Stonewalls on Yemen War:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/obama-yemen/

Alawite fortress and Sunni wasteland in Syria's Homs:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/19/syria-crisis-homs-idUSL5E8HE3FX20120619

Russian shipment of attack helicopters for Syria halted off Scotland:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/19/12294230-russian-shipment-of-attack-helicopters-for-syria-halted-off-scotland?lite

Shadowy al-Qaeda-linked group claims Israel attack:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4244577,00.html

Israel predicts increased Beduin terror activity:

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=274403

Israeli Air Force to develop Iron Dome Block 2:

http://alert5.com/2012/06/19/israeli-air-force-to-develop-iron-dome-block-2/

Kingdom of Morocco – M1A1 SA Abrams Tank Enhancement, Support and
Equipment:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/136123/%241bn-moroccan-order-for-m_1-abrams-tank-may-save-lima-jobs.html

‘Kony 2012′ Threatens Lawsuit Against Online Parody:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/kony-2012-lawsuit/

Russian Air Force to Get 10 MiG-31BMs This Year:

http://www.defencetalk.com/russian-air-force-to-get-10-mig-31bms-this-year-43232/

Swedes And Swiss Move Toward Joint Gripen:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_06_18_2012_p38-465770.xml

“Future Soldier – Expanded System”: Rheinmetall to Supply the
Bundeswehr with Cutting-Edge “Gladius” Infantry Equipment:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/136122/german-army-orders-gladius-soldier-equipment.html

Iranian Missile Engineer Oversees Chavez’s Drones:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/mystery-cargo/

Japan buys another Hyrdoid AUV system:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Japan_buys_another_Hyrdoid_AUV_system_999.html

VPAF flies first Su-27 mission to Spratlys from Phu Cat air base:

http://alert5.com/2012/06/19/vpaf-flies-first-su-27-mission-over-spratlys/

Taiwan soon to clear all mines near China: Ma:

http://www.sinodaily.com/reports/Taiwan_soon_to_clear_all_mines_near_China_Ma_999.html

Sources: Too soon to rule out toxins in Raptor case:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/sources-too-soon-to-rule-out-toxins-in-raptor-case-373144/

Total Cost To Close Out Cancelled Army FCS Could Top $1 Billion:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/06/19/total-cost-to-close-out-cancelled-army-fcs-could-top-1-billion/

South Carolina Guard troops train to evacuate embassies:

http://www.defencetalk.com/south-carolina-guard-troops-train-to-evacuate-embassies-43250/

F-35: Bouncing Too Much to Find the Enemy: A Look at the F-35’s Helmet
Woes:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?shop=dae&modele=feature&prod=136124&cat=5

SEALs Raise the Stakes:

http://www.warisboring.com/2012/06/19/warships-international-fleet-review-seals-raise-the-stakes/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=warships-international-fleet-review-seals-raise-the-stakes

Spotted: Skunk Works’ Mystery Drone:

http://defensetech.org/2012/06/18/spotted-skunk-works-mystery-drone/

NSA: It Would Violate Your Privacy to Say if We Spied on You:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/nsa-spied/

Press Release On New Fire At Portsmouth Naval Shipyard:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/06/18/press-release-on-new-fire-at-portsmouth-naval-shipyard/

Navy Moves Forward On Advanced Airborne Radar:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_06_18_2012_p39-466297.xml

What’s going on with the USS Wasp?:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/06/18/whats-going-on-with-the-uss-wasp/

La N.

Jun 19, 2012, 6:23:39 PM6/19/12

<dump...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Top Pakistan court disqualifies prime minister from office:

'Kony 2012' Threatens Lawsuit Against Online Parody:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/kony-2012-lawsuit/

****************

Oh, bother. Somebody sure doesn't have a sense of ha-ha.

- nilita

Andrew Swallow

Jun 20, 2012, 1:33:26 AM6/20/12
On 19/06/2012 23:23, La N. wrote:
> <dump...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> 'Kony 2012' Threatens Lawsuit Against Online Parody:
>
> http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/kony-2012-lawsuit/
>
> ****************
>
> Oh, bother. Somebody sure doesn't have a sense of ha-ha.
>
> - nilita

As McDonalds found out, you cannot win a libel trial. As for copyright
if it is not costing you money then you will not get much compensation.

Andrew Swallow

dott.Piergiorgio

Jun 20, 2012, 4:27:25 AM6/20/12
Il 19/06/2012 20:31, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
> Press Release On New Fire At Portsmouth Naval Shipyard:
>
> http://defense.aol.com/2012/06/18/press-release-on-new-fire-at-portsmouth-naval-shipyard/

I know that Gene will hate me ;) but poor USS Miami seems officially a
jinxed ship now....

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Jim Wilkins

Jun 20, 2012, 7:16:08 AM6/20/12

"dott.Piergiorgio" <chied...@ask.me> wrote in message
> Il 19/06/2012 20:31, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
>> Press Release On New Fire At Portsmouth Naval Shipyard:
>>
>> http://defense.aol.com/2012/06/18/press-release-on-new-fire-at-portsmouth-naval-shipyard/
>
> I know that Gene will hate me ;) but poor USS Miami seems officially
> a jinxed ship now....
> dott. Piergiorgio.

If any Portsmouth ship was jinxed it would have been USS Squalus /
Sailfish, instead the ship survived numerous intense depth-chargings
and finished the war with a good record, including the first Japanese
aircraft carrier sunk by a US sub.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sailfish_(SS-192)

The conning tower remains as a memorial:
http://www.hmdb.org/Photos/76/Photo76328.jpg

jsw

Dennis

Jun 21, 2012, 7:29:26 PM6/21/12
Jim Wilkins wrote:

> "dott.Piergiorgio" <ch.me> wrote
>> Il 19/06/2012 20:31, dumpster4 ha scritto:
>>> Press Release On New Fire At Portsmouth Naval Shipyard:
>>>
>>> http://defense.aol.com/2012/06/18/press-release-on-new-fire-at-portsm
>>> outh-naval-shipyard/
>>
>> I know that Gene will hate me ;) but poor USS Miami seems officially
>> a jinxed ship now....
>> dott. Piergiorgio.
>
> If any Portsmouth ship was jinxed it would have been USS Squalus /
> Sailfish, instead the ship survived numerous intense depth-chargings
> and finished the war with a good record, including the first Japanese
> aircraft carrier sunk by a US sub.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sailfish_(SS-192)
>
> The conning tower remains as a memorial:
> http://www.hmdb.org/Photos/76/Photo76328.jpg

ISTR that 'Squailfish' had a *reputation* of being jinxed.

Dennis

Jim Wilkins

Jun 21, 2012, 8:12:24 PM6/21/12
"Dennis" <tsalagi...@hotmail.com> wrote
> Jim Wilkins wrote:

> ISTR that 'Squailfish' had a *reputation* of being jinxed.
>
> Dennis

A fear perhaps, but they survived more intense, prolonged attacks than
many that were lost.

U-505 in Chicago was the German's bad-luck boat, suffering almost
every near-fatal accident that can befall a sub, so much that one
commander shot himself. Yet each time they patched and welded it up
and somehow reached a port, theirs or ours.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/hans-goebler/steel-boats-iron-hearts/_/R-400000000000000318432

jsw