Af/Pak & Other News (9/16/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Sep 16, 2012, 7:47:09 PM9/16/12
Four US soldiers killed in Afghan 'insider' attack:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/16/13890273-four-us-soldiers-killed-in-afghan-insider-attack?lite

Pakistanis Try to Storm U.S. Outpost; One Is Killed:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/17/world/asia/crowds-storm-us-consulate-in-pakistan-and-one-dies.html

6 Harrier jets destroyed, 2 damaged in Taliban assault on Camp
Bastion:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/09/6_harrier_jets_destr.php

Police: Roadside Bomb Kills 15 in NW Pakistan:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/police-roadside-bomb-kills-12-nw-pakistan-17246756#.UFZRWFHAjGs

Insurgents Posed as U.S. Troops to Strike at Afghan Air Base:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/09/insurgents-posed-u-s-troops/

ISAF captures Taliban commander behind the downing of US helicopter:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/09/isaf_captures_taliban_commande.php

Netanyahu: Iran six to seven months from nuclear bomb capability:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/netanyahu-iran-six-to-seven-months-from-nuclear-bomb-capability-1.465333

Iran's Guard admits advisers in Syria, Lebanon:

http://news.yahoo.com/irans-guard-admits-advisers-syria-lebanon-172308975.html

Report: Reward for Rushdie's death boosted in Iran:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_21556675/report-iran-adds-reward-rushdies-death

Syria says troops advance in Aleppo:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501713_162-57513761/syria-says-troops-advance-in-aleppo/

Death drops from sky in Syria's Al-Bab:

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2012/Sep-16/188121-death-drops-from-sky-in-syrias-al-bab.ashx#axzz26ftQZoIe

Syria accuses Turkey of allowing al-Qaida transit:

http://news.yahoo.com/syria-accuses-turkey-allowing-al-qaida-transit-151741190.html?_esi=1

Elbit Begins Brazilian Production:

http://www.israeldefense.com/?CategoryID=483&ArticleID=1643

Berlin rejects Israeli pressure over subs sale to Egypt:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Berlin_rejects_Israeli_pressure_over_subs_sale_to_Egypt_999.html

Islamist militants attack Egyptian security headquarters in Sinai:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/islamist-militants-attack-egyptian-security-headquarters-in-sinai-1.465322

Libya arrests 50 over US envoy killing:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i4NIIiSkI_qijkpZwh35FFCGfGOg?docId=CNG.2efbc60188bfcd94ca37ddbd97638fbe.321

US, Libya at odds over Benghazi attack:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-17/dozens-arrested-in-libya-over-us-consulate-attack/4264458

US gears up for Libya manhunt after consulate attack:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/US_gears_up_for_Libya_manhunt_after_consulate_attack_999.html

Islamists' Last Stand:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/09/16/ayaan-hirsi-ali-on-the-islamists-final-stand.html#

SAS Queen Modjaji’s hull received 1.5 x 1.5 m dent in accident:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27659:sas-queen-modjajis-hull-received-15-x-15-m-dent-in-accident&catid=111:sa-defence&Itemid=242

Questions Abound as China Unveils Another Stealth Jet:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/09/questions-abound-as-china-unveils-another-stealth-jet/

Insight: China builds its own military-industrial complex:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-china-defencebre88f0gm-20120916,0,2815719.story

Thousands protest at Japanese embassy in Beijing:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Thousands_protest_at_Japanese_embassy_in_Beijing_999.html

Raytheon still struggling to fix problems with EKV Capability
Enhancement 2:

http://alert5.com/2012/09/16/raytheon-still-struggling-to-fix-problems-with-ekv-capability-enhancement-2/

U.S. To Modernize Nuclear Arsenal: Report:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120916/DEFREG02/309160004/U-S-Modernize-Nuclear-Arsenal-Report?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Chinook helicopter lifts out grounded Black Hawk:

http://www.lakeconews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27039:chinook-helicopter-lifts-out-grounded-black-hawk&catid=1:latest&Itemid=197

Andrew Swallow

Sep 16, 2012, 8:16:09 PM9/16/12
On 17/09/2012 00:47, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> 6 Harrier jets destroyed, 2 damaged in Taliban assault on Camp
> Bastion:
>
> http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/09/6_harrier_jets_destr.php

That attack on the air base was more successful than they want the
general public to believe.

Since Harriers are no longer manufactured they are hard to replace.

Andrew Swallow

kirk....@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2012, 11:41:05 PM9/16/12
On Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:16:08 PM UTC-7, Andrew Swallow wrote:

> Since Harriers are no longer manufactured they are hard to replace.

Well, since the US Marines bought all the Brit Harriers, there are a bunch sitting in the desert in Arizona waiting to be refurbished and used. The Marines probably have more Harriers than they have pilots and funds to fly.

Just a matter of equipping them with US systems.

Less of a crisis than it appears. Still unfortunate, though.

Kirk

dump...@hotmail.com

Sep 17, 2012, 7:17:59 PM9/17/12
On Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:41:05 PM UTC-7, kirk....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:16:08 PM UTC-7, Andrew Swallow wrote: > Since Harriers are no longer manufactured they are hard to replace. Well, since the US Marines bought all the Brit Harriers, there are a bunch sitting in the desert in Arizona waiting to be refurbished and used. The Marines probably have more Harriers than they have pilots and funds to fly. Just a matter of equipping them with US systems. Less of a crisis than it appears. Still unfortunate, though. Kirk

"An official announcement could come within
days of Britain’s sale of its remaining Harrier
jump jets to the Marine Corps, but sources are
saying privately the purchase will be strictly
for spare parts and logistic support, and not a
move to increase the operational fleet.

“We have no intent at any point to ever fly any
of these” British jets, said one U.S. source"

See:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/11/defense-us-marines-wont-fly-harriers-111711/

Usenet Account

Sep 18, 2012, 12:20:25 AM9/18/12
On 16/09/2012 11:41 PM, kirk....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, September 16, 2012 5:16:08 PM UTC-7, Andrew Swallow wrote:
>
>> Since Harriers are no longer manufactured they are hard to replace.
>
> Well, since the US Marines bought all the Brit Harriers, there are a
> bunch sitting in the desert in Arizona waiting to be refurbished and
> used. The Marines probably have more Harriers than they have pilots and
> funds to fly.
> Just a matter of equipping them with US systems.

Converting them to left side drive was too expensive!

kirk....@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2012, 1:19:58 AM9/18/12
to nos...@invalid.invalid
Lucas electrics!

Usenet Account

Sep 18, 2012, 12:46:45 PM9/18/12
On 18/09/2012 1:19 AM, kirk....@gmail.com wrote:
> Lucas electrics!

LOL! I wonder if the RAF Harriers also have a puddle of oil below them?

--
Q: Why do the Brits drink warm beer?

A: Lucas Refrigerators!

Lucas, the Lord of Darkness.

Alex Potter

Sep 18, 2012, 2:13:44 PM9/18/12
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:46:45 -0400, Usenet Account wrote:

> On 18/09/2012 1:19 AM, kirk....@gmail.com wrote:
>> Lucas electrics!
>>

> LOL! I wonder if the RAF Harriers also have a puddle of oil below them?

Probably not. They weren't made in Meriden, after all... :)

--
Alex