Af/Pak & Libya News (10/27/2011)

dump...@hotmail.com

Oct 27, 2011, 2:34:18 PM10/27/11
Pakistan drone attack 'kills' top militants:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-15474100

Insurgents attack US-run base in Afghanistan:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45059432/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

China Wants Bases an Endless War in Pakistan:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/10/china-pakistan-bases/

Stryker brigade to deploy to Afghanistan without Strykers:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20522:stryker-brigade-to-deploy-to-afghanistan-without-strykers&catid=49:National%20Security&Itemid=115

Libya news:

Gaddafi's son and intelligence chief 'want to surrender':

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/gaddafi-s-son-and-intelligence-chief-want-surrender-4486437?ref=rss

UN votes to end Libya military mandate:

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/world/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5457546

Hundreds of weapons stockpiles still in Libya: UN:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Hundreds_of_weapons_stockpiles_still_in_Libya_UN_999.html

Swedish Gripens return from Libya:

http://alert5.com/2011/10/27/swedish-gripens-return-from-libya/

Smuggling scandal rocks Swedish Air Force:

http://www.thelocal.se/36976/20111026/#

Airpower in Libya:

http://www.informationdissemination.net/2011/10/airpower-in-libya.html

And, in other news:

Syrian troops 'plant mines by Lebanon border':

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gXHpRktKBASDmU5qubwAkzpTkAjw?docId=CNG.c9421f165a8f91a7f6c119543aafc7e1.771

IDF responds to rocket fire, targets Gaza terror centers:

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=243330

IDF sets up Magic Wand Unit:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4139576,00.html

Germany Wavers Over Sub Sale to Israel: Report:

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=8064046&c=EUR&s=TOP

Somali Abduction Squad Takes American; How Will the U.S. Respond?:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/10/somali-abduction-squad/

Israel and the U.S. Reassess the Modern Battlefield:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3ace638755-e6f0-4f89-adbc-dde82430a905&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Cyber attacks hit Japan diplomatic missions:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Cyber_attacks_hit_Japan_diplomatic_missions_999.html

China orders stricter control of Internet, media:

http://www.defencetalk.com/china-orders-stricter-control-of-internet-media-37951/

China: Japan’s reconnaissance missions undermine China’s security
interests:

http://alert5.com/2011/10/27/china-japans-reconnaissance-missions-undermine-chinas-security-interests/

New details, questions on U.S. role in Uganda:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2011/10/25/new-details-questions-on-u-s-role-in-uganda/

National Security Agency helps US banks battle hackers:

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20500:national-security-agency-helps-us-banks-battle-hackers&catid=48:Information%20&%20Communication%20Technologies&Itemid=109

Hackers Targeted U.S. Government Satellites:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/10/hackers-attack-satellites/

What's New In Cyber-Dirty Tricks:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&newspaperUserId=27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3ab830e2a2-0759-4120-b083-60cf371390fc&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

P-8 Launches Torpedo for the First Time:

http://defensetech.org/2011/10/27/p-8-launches-torpedo-for-the-first-time/

Lockheed, Pentagon at odds over F-35 costs: sources:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/26/us-lockheed-fighter-idUSTRE79P06120111026

Turks Want UAV to Watch Kurds:

http://4gwar.wordpress.com/2011/10/26/unmanned-aircraft-turks-want-uav-to-watch-kurds/

Special Ops’ Latest Drone: A Russian Doll of Death:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/10/socom-warhead-drones/

Boeing self-funds F-15E production in anticipation of Saudi deal:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-self-funds-f-15e-production-in-anticipation-of-saudi-deal-363960/

USMC Prepares For Pacific Mind-set:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/asd/2011/10/27/04.xml&headline=USMCPreparesForPacificMind-set&channel=defense

dump...@hotmail.com

Oct 27, 2011, 3:50:39 PM10/27/11
Addendum:

$6.6 billion in lost Iraq cash now accounted for, inspector says:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/once-feared-lost-now-accounted-iraq-inspector-says-153935856.html

Daryl

Oct 27, 2011, 4:30:03 PM10/27/11

Dennis

Oct 27, 2011, 5:58:51 PM10/27/11
wrote:
Any interest (earned)?

Dennis

Andrew Swallow

Oct 28, 2011, 10:39:00 AM10/28/11
On 27/10/2011 19:34, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Gaddafi's son and intelligence chief 'want to surrender':

<http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/gaddafi-s-son-and-intelligence-chief-want-surrender-4486437?ref=rss>

Pity he did not do this several months ago. Now Gaddafi's son Saif
al-Islam will have to persuade someone from NATO to collect and guard him.

For propaganda purposes trying the son is nearly as good as Gaddafi
himself because it will allow all the abuses to be revealed.

A good war trial will allow all the hate and passion to settle in one
nice controlled place, helping the people to heal.

Andrew Swallow

dott.Piergiorgio

Oct 28, 2011, 3:11:47 PM10/28/11
Il 28/10/2011 16:39, Andrew Swallow ha scritto:
> On 27/10/2011 19:34, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Gaddafi's son and intelligence chief 'want to surrender':
>
> <http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/gaddafi-s-son-and-intelligence-chief-want-surrender-4486437?ref=rss>
>

> Pity he did not do this several months ago. Now Gaddafi's son Saif
> al-Islam will have to persuade someone from NATO to collect and guard him.

I don't think so.

Qui custodet custodem ? if he surrenders to the Aja tribunal surely meet
the fate of late Milosevic.... he surely known more or less the same
things his late father known, whose is not exactly a life insurance....

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

William Black

Oct 28, 2011, 3:36:02 PM10/28/11
Quote from the article:

--------------------
Muammar Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam and former intelligence chief
Abdullah al-Senussi propose to hand themselves in to the International
Criminal Court, a senior official with Libya's National Transitional
Council said.

-------------------

Now how on earth would the unnamed official know that?

The only communication he's likely to get from a Gadaffy loyalist will
be a stream of flying hot lead.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...

Andrew Swallow

Oct 28, 2011, 5:21:03 PM10/28/11
As I said months ago the way out for Gadaffi is to surrender to the ICC
and spend the rest of his life in prison. A trial will help to relieve
the boredom. The other options lead to a horrible death.

As for the unnamed official knowing Saif al-Islam may simple have phoned
the court (or the reporters). There are not many other ways for a man
on the run to arrange for a French or British officer to come and arrest
him.

Andrew Swallow

William Black

Oct 28, 2011, 6:06:25 PM10/28/11
The BBC is reporting that he's in indirect contact with the
International Court.

I'd be prepared to bet that it isn't via the new Libyan government.