Af/Pak & Other News (2/16/2013)

dump...@hotmail.com

Feb 16, 2013, 7:40:01 PM2/16/13
Bomb rips through Pakistan market, killing 65:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/bomb_rips_through_pakistan_market_n3x2WGTsQrvs9D9L4LirLL

Zero Dark Thirty: fact vs fiction:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/9869992/Zero-Dark-Thirty-fact-vs-fiction.html

Afghan president says he'll ban airstrike requests:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/02/16/afghan-airstrike-ban/1924833/

Afghanistan looks to future armoured vehicle fleet requirements
post-2014:

http://www.janes.com/products/janes/defence-security-report.aspx?ID=1065976159&channel=defence&subChannel=land

Little Hope Amid Push for Afghans on Peace:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/world/asia/pressure-for-peace-with-taliban-is-renewed.html?ref=world&_r=0

Tongue-to-brain sensory device a potential TBI treatment:

http://defensetech.org/2013/02/15/tongue-to-brain-sensory-device-a-potential-tbi-treatment/

Exclusive: Turkey-Iran gold trade wiped out by new U.S. sanctions:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/16/us-iran-turkey-sanctions-idUSBRE91F01F20130216

Syria: Mystery shrouds slaying of Iranian:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Syria_Mystery_shrouds_slaying_of_Iranian_999.html

Syrians Freed in Abductions That Stoked Fears of More Strife:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/world/middleeast/syrian-kidnappings-raise-fear-of-expanded-conflict.html?ref=world

7 Syrians hurt in civil war treated in Israel:

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=303458

Lebanon arrests 11 armed men including 4 Syrians:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Lebanon_arrests_11_armed_men_including_4_Syrians_999.html

The “Prisoner X” Affair: The Imperfect Agent:

http://www.israeldefense.com/?CategoryID=483&ArticleID=1963

Widespread Palestinian rioting erupts in West Bank:

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=303419

Foreigners arrested for trying to spread Christianity in Libya:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/16/us-libya-arrests-idUSBRE91F09120130216

In Mali, the Peril of Guerrilla War Looms:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/world/africa/militants-infiltrate-towns-in-freed-areas-of-mali.html?ref=world

Mali slavery problem persists after French invasion:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/02/14/mali-slavery/1920579/

US adds senior AQIM commander to terrorist list:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2013/02/us_adds_aqim_command.php

Meteor sparks rumors, conspiracy theories in Russia:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/15/16977509-meteor-sparks-rumors-conspiracy-theories-in-russia?lite

Saab Signs Agreement for the Next Generation Fighter Aircraft Gripen E
and Receives Development Order:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/142710/saab-signs-gripen-e-development-deal%2C-sees-%247.5-bn-sales.html

Europe poised for confrontation over Bulgarian F-16 procurement:

http://www.janes.com/products/janes/defence-security-report.aspx?ID=1065976236&channel=defence

RAF deploys Eurofighters for FPDA and LIMA in Malaysia:

http://alert5.com/2013/02/16/raf-deploys-eurofighters-for-fpda-and-lima-in-malaysia/

Russian nuclear bombers intercepted near Guam:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/15/16978049-russian-nuclear-bombers-intercepted-near-guam?lite

Taiwan to install Hsiung Feng III on Lafayette-class and Knox-class
frigates:

http://alert5.com/2013/02/16/taiwan-to-install-hsiung-feng-iii-on-lafayette-class-and-knox-class-frigates/

Huge military exercise highlights 'rebalancing of US policy toward
Asia':

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/15/16973088-huge-military-exercise-highlights-rebalancing-of-us-policy-toward-asia?lite

Raptors and Typhoons train together during Razor Talon:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/02/raptor-and-typhoons-train-toge.html

B-2 Stealth Bomber Hardened for More Challenging Missions:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=1058

US Military Invests in Smartphone Device That Scans, IDs Faces:

http://www.defencetalk.com/us-military-invests-in-smartphone-device-that-scans-ids-faces-46824/

TECHNOLOGY: War in the Electromagnetic Spectrum:

http://4gwar.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/technology-war-in-the-electromagnetic-spectrum/

Chemical-Biological Defense Office to Kick Off Dozens of New Programs:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/archive/2013/march/Pages/Chemical-BiologicalDefenseOfficeToKickOffDozensofNewPrograms.aspx

The Army's Navy: Fast Boats, Long-Range Rockets Play In Classified
Wargame:

http://defense.aol.com/2013/02/15/the-armys-navy-fast-boats-and-long-range-rockets-play-in-north/

USAF seeks information on connecting 4th and 5th gen fighters:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/usaf-seeks-information-on-connecting-4th-and-5th-gen-fighters-382396/

Defense, Intel Communities Wrestle With the Promise and Problems of
‘Big Data’:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/archive/2013/march/Pages/Defense,IntelCommunitiesWrestleWiththePromiseandProblemsof%E2%80%98BigData%E2%80%99.aspx

AUVSI Program Review 2013: USS George H W Bush targeted as next
carrier for X-47B at-sea trials:

http://www.janes.com/products/janes/defence-security-report.aspx?ID=1065976322&channel=defence

ADTI to integrate sense and avoid technology in UAVs:

http://www.strategicdefenceintelligence.com/article/fSUyNPgpD7Q/2013/02/15/adti_to_integrate_sense_and_avoid_technology_in_uavs/

Robots Set to Take On Marines’ Logistical Heavy Lifting:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/archive/2013/march/Pages/RobotsSettoTakeOnMarines%E2%80%99LogisticalHeavyLifting.aspx

First production US Navy F-35C flies:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/02/first-production-us-navy-f-35c.html

Medal for high-tech warriors draws fire from US veterans:

http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/CNG---15d21c5a903f0abf1833d3aabfb1bc78---431

Industry Shooting for Army’s First New Rifle in Half Century:

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/archive/2013/march/Pages/IndustryShootingforArmy%E2%80%99sFirstNewRifleinHalfCentury.aspx

Andrew Swallow

Feb 17, 2013, 3:31:40 AM2/17/13
On 17/02/2013 00:40, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Mali slavery problem persists after French invasion:
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/02/14/mali-slavery/1920579/

Do we have to restart shutting down the slave trade?

A black president completing the job Lincoln stated.

Andrew Swallow

Jurassic Park

Feb 17, 2013, 6:08:58 PM2/17/13

"Andrew Swallow" <am.sw...@btinternet.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
Then you should prepare to invade Mauritania, too
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritania#Slavery

Carlo "Jurassic Park"

Andrew Swallow

Feb 17, 2013, 9:17:04 PM2/17/13
Err ... John Lennon may have been a little optimistic.

Andrew Swallow

SolomonW

Feb 18, 2013, 2:27:13 AM2/18/13
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 16:40:01 -0800 (PST), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Bomb rips through Pakistan market, killing 65:
>
> http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/bomb_rips_through_pakistan_market_n3x2WGTsQrvs9D9L4LirLL

There are many questions about this terrorist raid

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/02/17/289409/pakistans-military-allow-shia-killings/

<snip>

> 7 Syrians hurt in civil war treated in Israel:
>
> http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=303458

The initial links between the Christians Lebanese and Israel in 1978
South Lebanon conflict started with a similar incident with a few Lebanese
crossing the border requesting medical help.

Dennis

Feb 20, 2013, 4:30:46 AM2/20/13
Andrew Swallow wrote:

> On 17/02/2013 23:08, Jurassic Park wrote:

>>> Do we have to restart shutting down the slave trade?
>>>
>>> A black president completing the job Lincoln stated.
>>
>> Then you should prepare to invade Mauritania, too
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritania#Slavery
>>
>> Carlo "Jurassic Park"
>
> Err ... John Lennon may have been a little optimistic.

He was.

Don't forget, before al-Qaeda took over, the Tuaregs already had, and
they're the ones keeping the locals in slavery...

as they have since time immemorial.

Dennis

Uncle Steve

Feb 20, 2013, 11:27:08 AM2/20/13
Then what are we doing over there interfering with the native's sacred
traditions?

Regards,

Uncle Steve

--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it
flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

Dennis

Feb 25, 2013, 8:20:49 PM2/25/13
Uncle Steve wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 09:30:46AM +0000, Dennis wrote:
>> Andrew Swallow wrote:

>> > Err ... John Lennon may have been a little optimistic.
>>
>> He was.
>>
>> Don't forget, before al-Qaeda took over, the Tuaregs already had, and
>> they're the ones keeping the locals in slavery...

21

> Then what are we doing over there interfering with the native's sacred
> traditions?

You jest, of course. The British interfered with the Arab's traditions
regarding this back in the 19th century, as did the French. The
Northern US states interfered with the Southern states' very sacred (to
them) traditions about slavery in a rather violent fashion during the
19th century as well.

It is to the 21st century's developed nations shame that they have not
interfered with this sacred tradition here in Mali, in Mauretania, and
no doubt along the whole Sahara desert periphery.

Dennis

Uncle Steve

Feb 25, 2013, 10:48:50 PM2/25/13
I was channeling Keith Laumer, who toasted the diplomatic corps with
great flair in the Retief series. Most are short stories published in
the 1960s and 1970s. The theme of "tolerating" quaint native traditions
of murder and mayhem against minority groups was prominent.

> It is to the 21st century's developed nations shame that they have not
> interfered with this sacred tradition here in Mali, in Mauretania, and
> no doubt along the whole Sahara desert periphery.

It is reasonable to suggest that the "leaders" of developed nations
are pragmatic to a fault. The notion of humanitarian values is
somewhat at odds with the narrative of globalism, and it is mostly
observed in the breach.