Af/Pak & Other News (6/27/2012)

dump...@hotmail.com

Jun 27, 2012, 10:50:34 PM6/27/12
Taliban release video of beheaded Pakistani soldiers:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/27/12442833-taliban-release-video-of-beheaded-pakistani-soldiers?lite

Afghanistan wants its cultural heroes back:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-afghanistan-poetrybre85q1p2-20120627,0,4034527.story

Fighting The Invisible War: The Electronic Spectrum:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/06/26/fighting-the-invisible-war-the-electronic-spectrum/

The U.K.'s UAV War:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.aspx?plckBlogId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post:35edaa55-27e5-400b-aba6-e594f7e37dc7

First Full Company of Gray Eagle UAS Now Deployed:

http://www.defencetalk.com/first-full-company-of-gray-eagle-uas-now-deployed-43370/

US drone strike 'kills at least five' in Pakistan:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/US_drone_strike_kills_at_least_five_in_Pakistan_999.html

US sent thousands of troops to wrong province: book:

http://dawn.com/2012/06/27/us-sent-thousands-of-troops-to-wrong-province-book/

India Tests Upgraded Arjun Tank:

http://www.defencetalk.com/india-tests-upgraded-arjun-tank-43359/

China's influence grows in poor neighbour Tajikistan:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Chinas_influence_grows_in_poor_neighbour_Tajikistan_999.html

Raiding Iran Triggers Discussion Of When And How:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/AW_06_25_2012_p29-465266.xml

Yemen FM admits US drones used against Qaeda:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j37r8uxKh57_fGRd451Q_trKqklg?docId=CNG.b9542c5db48e15244a149f3e1ca67edd.bd1

AQAP regroups in Abyan province:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/threat-matrix/archives/2012/06/aqap_regroups_in_abyan_provinc.php

Saudi jails Qaeda militants over planned attacks:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gzxBZHz-sa_fGentWwKINvMa7PPA?docId=CNG.5c96890db81119c59b43a9715acd76bf.231

Boeing awarded $1.84 billion contract to develop Saudi F-15 upgrade
kit:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-awarded-184-billion-contract-to-develop-saudi-f-15-upgrade-kit-373438/

Seven die in attack on pro-regime Syrian TV station:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/27/12430561-seven-die-in-attack-on-pro-regime-syrian-tv-station?lite

Syria ordered S-300, delivery suspended:

http://alert5.com/2012/06/28/syria-ordered-s-300-delivery-suspended/

Hamas member killed in Syria, Mossad suspected:

http://www.france24.com/en/20120628-hamas-member-killed-syria-mossad-suspected

NATO Dismisses Action on Syria as Russia Sends Back Helicopters:

http://news.yahoo.com/nato-dismisses-action-syria-russia-sends-back-helicopters-203400406.html

Report: Syria may have downed Turkish jet after mistaking it for
Israeli aircraft:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/report-syria-may-have-downed-turkish-jet-after-mistaking-it-for-israeli-aircraft-1.444449

Syria shot at second Turkish jet, Ankara claims:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/25/syria-shooting-second-turkish-plane-claim

North Korea aiding Syria to upgrade Scud D capability:

http://www.janes.com/products/janes/defence-security-report.aspx?ID=1065969065&channel=defence

Shin Bet, Israel Police arrest DFLP cell in Isawiya:

http://www.jpost.com/Defense/Article.aspx?id=275413

Russian-Israeli UAV:

http://www.israeldefense.com/?CategoryID=483&ArticleID=1436

Palestinian suicide bomber mastermind convicted:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/middleeast/articles/2012/06/27/israeli_palestinian_leaders_may_meet_next_week/

Despite Asia Talk, Navy Will Send Newest Ships to Mideast:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/navy-new-ships-mideast/

Arab Spring provided new breeding ground for British terrorists – spy
chief:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/al-qaeda/9354259/Arab-Spring-provided-new-breeding-ground-for-British-terrorists-spy-chief.html

Somali forces capture rebel stronghold:

http://www.defencetalk.com/somali-forces-capture-rebel-stronghold-43391/

U.S. Could Dump Shadow War Ally Over Gay Persecution:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/gay-persecution-alliance/

Russian Navy chief: Bulava SLBM has entered service:

http://alert5.com/2012/06/27/russian-navy-chief-bulava-slbm-has-entered-service/

New Containerized Missile System on Show:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/136361/russia-to-export-containerized-cruise-missile.html

PICTURES: MBDA sharpens Spear missile design for F-35 integration:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pictures-mbda-sharpens-spear-missile-design-for-f-35-integration-373453/

Russia may swap helicopters with Zimbabwe for platinum:

http://alert5.com/2012/06/28/russia-may-swap-helicopters-with-zimbabwe-for-platinum/

Russians, Indians Join Largest RIMPAC In Years; Chinese Welcome Too,
Says CNO:

http://defense.aol.com/2012/06/27/russians-join-largest-rimpac-exercise-in-years-chinese-welcome/

Defence Equipment Minister Develops Ties with South Korea:

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/136356/uk-to-develop-defense-ties-with-south-korea.html

SMART-L For Smart Defense?:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.aspx?plckBlogId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post:13412d92-fe72-480a-9b56-c6c076a0ac65

Australia’s Tiger attack helicopters grounded again for cockpit fumes:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/australias-tiger-attack-helicopters-grounded-again-for-cockpit-fumes-373445/

Video: China’s Carrier at Sea:

http://defensetech.org/2012/06/26/video-chinas-carrier-at-sea/

Mine Countermeasures Ships Arrive In US 5th Fleet:

http://www.defencetalk.com/mine-countermeasures-ships-arrive-in-us-5th-fleet-43376/

Solyndra Scandal Could Haunt Next Darpa Chief:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/solyndra-darpa/

Second successive SM-3 Block IB intercept:

http://alert5.com/2012/06/28/second-successive-sm-3-block-ib-intercept/

Army Evaluating Potential Kiowa Warrior Replacements:

http://defensetech.org/2012/06/27/army-evaluating-potential-kiowa-warrior-replacements/

Pentagon’s Zombie Satellite Program Comes to Life:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/darpa-phoenix-2/

Scouts Report SPIDERS Creeps Ahead: Latest on DOD Smart Grid Effort :

http://dodenergy.blogspot.com/2012/06/scouts-report-spiders-creeps-ahead.html

AFSOC to Equip Dismounted Teams with an Advanced Wearable C4:

http://defense-update.com/20120626_afsoc-to-equip-dismounted-teams-with-an-advanced-wearable-c4.html

Boeing set to deliver six QF-16 target drones before year’s end:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-set-to-deliver-six-qf-16-target-drones-before-years-end-373483/

Top CIA Spy Accused of Being a Mafia Hitman:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/06/cia/

SolomonW

Jun 28, 2012, 6:22:58 AM6/28/12
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:50:34 -0700 (PDT), dump...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Report: Syria may have downed Turkish jet after mistaking it for
> Israeli aircraft:
>
> http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/report-syria-may-have-downed-turkish-jet-after-mistaking-it-for-israeli-aircraft-1.444449

More likely a Turkish provocation

http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/2012/06/mavi-marmara-2010-syrian-anti-aircraft-2012#continued

Bill

Jun 28, 2012, 8:01:50 AM6/28/12
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 20:22:58 +1000, SolomonW <Solo...@citi.com>
wrote:
If that was the case they were remarkably badly prepared for this.

They're only just managing to upgrade their position on the border...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18622140

Poor old Pipes, he's still seeing the most powerful Muslim country
involved in any conflict as the villain.

In this case it's Turkey, but Turkey is reasonably secular and a
member of NATO and indisputably the 'good guy' here.

Dean Markley

Jun 28, 2012, 2:22:10 PM6/28/12
Pipes strikes me as an idiot who sees ghosts when he hears a noise at night. I notice no one seems to be supporting Syria on this issue.

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Jun 29, 2012, 5:22:29 AM6/29/12
Bill wrote:

> Turkey is the 'good guy' here.

No, the U.S. surrogate NATO is provoking Syria in order to "justify"
an upcoming war the U.S. wants...for Israel...and the politicians
and side-line cheerleaders (like you) don't care how many people are killed.
;-)

Bill

Jun 29, 2012, 6:53:09 AM6/29/12
NATO seems not to be doing this.

And Israel pretty obviously is keeping very quiet indeed.

So far the only people doing any shooting is Syria, and they've now
managed to kill a couple of Turks, and the Turks don't like it one
little bit and look like giving the Syrians a well deserved slap.

Now it's pretty obvious that Syria was hoping they'd shot down a US
aircraft, or even better for them, an Israeli one, but that hadn't
happened and now they have to live with the consequences of being a
bunch of trigger happy maniacs.

I might add that I really like the idea of the US Armed Forces and
NATO going around thrashing tyrants.

What worries me is your sympathy for them.

What's the attraction to baby murderers that so infests the extreme
left these days?

Dean Markley

Jun 29, 2012, 7:54:47 AM6/29/12
I wouldn't characterize Vinnie the Fraud as "extreme left". He's just a troll.

Paul J. Adam

Jun 29, 2012, 10:57:10 AM6/29/12
On 29/06/2012 11:53, Bill wrote:
> What's the attraction to baby murderers that so infests the extreme
> left these days?

Not just any murderers, just ones opposed to the US.

--
He thinks too much, such men are dangerous.

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Jun 29, 2012, 8:25:51 PM6/29/12
Bill wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 02:22:29 -0700, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D."
> <dr...@jameford.edu> wrote:
>

>>Bill wrote:
>>
>>> Turkey is the 'good guy' here.
>>
>>No, the U.S. surrogate NATO is provoking Syria in order to "justify"
>>an upcoming war the U.S. wants...for Israel...and the politicians
>>and side-line cheerleaders (like you) don't care how many people are killed.
>

> So far the only people doing any shooting is Syria, and they've now
> managed to kill a couple of Turks,

The Turks were flying a military aircraft in Syrian airspace...provoking.

That makes them the 'bad guys', contrary to your 'good guy' lie.
;-)

Dean Markley

Jun 29, 2012, 9:46:39 PM6/29/12
And you are just a lying troll.

SolomonW

Jun 30, 2012, 7:09:48 AM6/30/12
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:01:50 +0100, Bill wrote:

> In this case it's Turkey, but Turkey is reasonably secular

Turkey is but I am not so sure of the government.

> and a
> member of NATO and indisputably the 'good guy' here.

In the sense that Assad is certainly the bad guy yes, but I am not so sure
that the Turkey is innocent here.

Their plane is flying over Syrian territory. It is not an accident; it is
not off course it is....????

Bill

Jun 30, 2012, 11:39:55 AM6/30/12
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:25:51 -0700, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D."
<dr...@jameford.edu> wrote:

>Bill wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 02:22:29 -0700, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D."
>> <dr...@jameford.edu> wrote:

>>>No, the U.S. surrogate NATO is provoking Syria in order to "justify"
>>>an upcoming war the U.S. wants...for Israel...and the politicians
>>>and side-line cheerleaders (like you) don't care how many people are killed.
>>

>> So far the only people doing any shooting is Syria, and they've now
>> managed to kill a couple of Turks,
>
>The Turks were flying a military aircraft in Syrian airspace...provoking.

An act worthy of death?

If they'd killed an Israeli or an American aircrew they'd have been
dancing in the streets.

And you'd have been cheering them on...

>That makes them the 'bad guys', contrary to your 'good guy' lie.

As a general rule the people who start shooting first are the bad
guys.

It's what makes the Arabs such an obliging enemy.

Their idea of a good night out ends with a volley of gunfire...

Bill

Jun 30, 2012, 11:41:02 AM6/30/12
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:09:48 +1000, SolomonW <Solo...@citi.com>
wrote:
Is it an act worth of death?

Or, just possibly, is it an act worthy of death only if the crew is
either Israeli or American?

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Jul 1, 2012, 12:58:49 AM7/1/12
Bill wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:25:51 -0700, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D."
> <dr...@jameford.edu> wrote:
>

>>Bill wrote:

>>>So far the only people doing any shooting is Syria, and they've now
>>>managed to kill a couple of Turks,
>>
>>The Turks were flying a military aircraft in Syrian airspace...provoking.

Son, I snipped your attempt to move the goalpost.

>>That makes them the 'bad guys', contrary to your 'good guy' lie.

correct...on both
;-)

SolomonW

Jul 1, 2012, 2:55:28 AM7/1/12
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 16:41:02 +0100, Bill wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:09:48 +1000, SolomonW <Solo...@citi.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:01:50 +0100, Bill wrote:
>>
>>> In this case it's Turkey, but Turkey is reasonably secular
>>
>>Turkey is but I am not so sure of the government.
>>

>>> and a
>>> member of NATO and indisputably the 'good guy' here.
>>
>>In the sense that Assad is certainly the bad guy yes, but I am not so sure
>>that the Turkey is innocent here.
>>
>>Their plane is flying over Syrian territory. It is not an accident; it is
>>not off course it is....????
>
> Is it an act worth of death?

Good questions? Often the answer is YES to both. I can think of several
countries that have shoot down unidentified planes flying over them.

> Or, just possibly, is it an act worthy of death only if the crew is
> either Israeli or American?

In Syria certainly YES.

My point though is that Turkey is provoking the conflict.

Bill

Jul 1, 2012, 7:27:16 AM7/1/12
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:58:49 -0700, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D."
<dr...@jameford.edu> wrote:

>Bill wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:25:51 -0700, "Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D."
>> <dr...@jameford.edu> wrote:

>>>The Turks were flying a military aircraft in Syrian airspace...provoking.
>
>Son, I snipped your attempt to move the goalpost.

Your open dishonesty is refreshing.

You usually don't mention your distortion by omission.

Dean Markley

Jul 1, 2012, 8:13:28 AM7/1/12
Bill, it is Vinnie the fraud trolling after all.

Dean Markley

Jul 1, 2012, 8:12:39 AM7/1/12
Your point is incorrect. Syria and by extension, Assad is provoking the conflict with his merciless killing of his own civilians.

SolomonW

Jul 2, 2012, 5:55:15 AM7/2/12
On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 05:12:39 -0700 (PDT), Dean Markley wrote:

> Your point is incorrect. Syria and by extension, Assad is provoking the conflict with his merciless killing of his own civilians.

There can be more then one person provoking a conflict