T-34 Crash

Michael Nott

Jun 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/12/98

My condolences to the families of those killed in the recent T-34C crash
in the Florida Keys. The death of any designated or student Navy flyer
is a loss to any of us who aspire to wear, currently wear, or have worn
Gold Wings (NA, NFO, or AC). In pace requiescat.

Retired 1320

Mark Voelker

Jun 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/14/98

How bout fill those of us out on the West Coast in on the details. Haven't
heard about it and I have alot of friends who are instructors in the VTs.
Thanks.

Srjorion

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

A T-34C from NAS Whiting Field crashed in the Florida Keys on Thursday, June
11. They were flying in formation with another aircraft when the two planes
collided. I heard that the other plane clipped the tail of the one that
crashed then returned to land safely, but have not confirmed that. The
instructor was LCDR Joseph Linehan from New York, and the student was Marine
2ndLt Lara Vincent from Connecticut. From the television report I heard, she
tried to bail out but her parachute became entangled in the aircraft. I'm not
sure if the instructor attempted to bail out or not. 2ndLt Vincent died on the
scene, and LCDR Linehan died on the way to the hospital.

I am not sure which squadron they were from, but I was told that they weren't
from VT-3. I have some friends there now and am trying to contact them to get
info.

Bennet & Nancy

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98
to Chris Klugewicz

Can you post the names of those involved? I left VT-2 about a year and
a half ago. Thanks for the info.

Bennet Goff
LTJG USN
VQ-3

Mark Voelker

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Thanks for the information. Sorry to hear about it.
Say a prayer not only for them, but everyone who is still out there doing the
mission.
Semper fi.
Spock