Atlantica Crashed during taxi test

Scott Derrick

Jan 15, 2003, 9:43:54 AM1/15/03
This is a forward from the email list.
Pictures at www.wingco.com

Friends,

Friday's test resulted in substantial damange to the prototype but
myself and the aircraft will both be OK.

We fixed the elastisty in the pitch controls that has limited control
all along. I went out on to the smaller runway close by with the
intention of raising the nose or perhaps a small ground hop. ATIS had
reported wind 14 gusting to 20 knots at 260 on RNWY 27. As I
accelerated to 80 knots the improved pitch authority and wind gusts were
obvious. As in past runs I bobbed the nose to get it off the ground but
found it much easier and with greater results.
There was a few thousand feet of runway left so I bobbed the nose up
harder a third time as a strong gust spiked the IAS up to aprox. 90
knots. The extreme rotational momentum combined with excessive speed
pitched the aircraft to aprox. alfa 30 so I used full forward pitch.
Since I had a prior mind set to reduce power if airborne, little runway
left and an insufficient "cruise" prop I chopped the power as well.
After seeing only clear blue sky it was nice to see the horizon and that
the aircraft had pitched over properly. On the other hand I was 100' up
with little airspeed so I gave it full throttle and aft stick. Now all
I had in my wind screen was asphalt. For a split second I thought I was
going to complete the flare but the ground came up too quick.

Most likely if I had left the power on I could have flown around but
last year a Lacair factory test pilot tried that and was killed. I
should not have gone out in the wind conditions and I should have gone
in for debrief after the first nose up had shown new results. It is
hard to second guess all this but the main thing that I and the
Atlantica will be OK and we have learned much. The Atlantica had
demonstrated a pitch "break out" resistance similar to canards and
deltas which would do the same thing if loaded nose heavy and bounced at
high speed into a gust. On the other hand the Atlantica responded more
like a conventional STOL in it's ability to pitch back over then flare
rapidly. This was an extreme test with positive results.

We were aready working on solutions to the "break out" resistance.
Another 3" was going to be added to the nose wheel strut and new elevons
that don't effect the lift in the mid part of the wing at full
deflection were in the works prior to my goof up.

Although the meter was pegged at 10 G's my lower back will recover, the
cabin is totally intact, engine fine and engine mount not bent. We will
build new wings, gear and reassemble. We will also fix the aircraft and
change the testing procedure so we can "ease" it off the ground like any
other conventional aircraft. We know exactly what to do.

The Atlantica is going to be a great airplane. It's aerodynamics and
structures have already saved one life......mine.

Alan Shaw

--

---
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

RobertR237

Jan 15, 2003, 10:12:24 AM1/15/03
In article <4teV9.181$p9.59...@twister1.starband.net>, "Scott Derrick"
<sc...@tnstaafl.net> writes:

Good to hear that you are OK and the plane is still on track. Its an
interesting concept and one that I hope you get flying.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Holden

Jan 16, 2003, 1:08:39 AM1/16/03
"Scott Derrick" <sc...@tnstaafl.net> wrote in message news:<4teV9.181$p9.59...@twister1.starband.net>...

> This is a forward from the email list.
> Pictures at www.wingco.com
Scott,

Any more details? The web page did not have any picture of the damage.

Holden

jerry wass

Jan 16, 2003, 9:07:03 AM1/16/03
NO Pics on website---