FIAT spiders..

Doug Howell

Apr 17, 1991, 3:56:12 PM4/17/91

> I recently read an article in USA Today that stated that
> the '73-'82 Fiat spider will double in price within the
> next 24 months (2 years..) something about it becoming
> a sought after car..

> anyone with any opinions about this??

Appreciate?: Yes. Double?: Maybe.

Despite the recent economic downturn, prices for MGBs and TR-6s have risen
quickly (doubled) over the last couple years. Which leaves Midgets,
Spitfires, TR-7s and Datsun 1600s as competition in the low-end of the
front-engine roadster market. The 124 was far ahead of all of these in
design and specification (only the TR-7 comes close), and was comparable
in quality to the Britcars.

Combine this with Pininfarina's deft styling of the 124 Spider, and I
wouldn't be surprised to see a significant run-up in prices for the Fiat.

Of course they rust like crazy, parts are getting hard to find, and the
steering wheel angle reminds one of a GMC bus, but it IS Italian after all.

> Also.. I was recently on Vaca in Utah (skiing..) and happened
> to notice a lot (~20) of Fiat spiders in the week I was there..
> Is there a greater concentration of spiders in the west??
> as compared to the north east..??

Yeah, something about all the sunshine and the lack of salt on the roads...

Regards,
-Doug Howell
"Check the olio, aqua, and benzina please"

Hal G. Meeks

Apr 19, 1991, 10:12:55 AM4/19/91

While I think it is unreasonable to expect a doubling in price of Fiat
Spyders, asking prices for nice examples are indeed on the rise.

I bought my (now gone and dearly missed) '76 Spyder for right around
$1800.00. This was September of 1989, right after traditional "covertible
season". The car was in good condition (usual faded paint, munged interior).
with 67k.

I've recently decided to sell my X1/9 (like to keep it, but can't afford two
cars) and buy another one. Most of the decent examples I've looked at (and
they have been few) are 2000 series, and the owners are asking in the
neighborhood of $3500 - $4000. At first, I was surprised at the price
increase, but this seems to be common. I remember that only a year ago
a decent 2000 series Spyder with less than 80k mileage could be had for
less than $3,000, with no haggling.

There are several reasons for this. The most prominent is the "Miata
effect". As most of us know, the car was to be priced around $14k, but price
gouging and speculation raised that price considerably. The car recieved a
lot of press coverage. Most people cannot afford to spend that kind of money
on an "impractical" car, but they can afford $3,000 for a little weekend
runabout. With a shrinking base of decent cars, and a rise in desirability,
the price was bound to go up.

As far as the Fiat Spyder is concerned, I do believe that there is a limit
on the price increases. Fiat's still have a (mostly undeserved, IMHO) lousy
reputation. They are still relatively common. The last examples in this
country that were sold as new cars are 7 years old now. I don't think there
is a lot of money to be made in speculating on Fiat's.

With all the dated trash on the road nowadays, the mid 60's styled Fiat
Spyder still manages to look clean. Still a lot of fun to drive, to boot.

All my comments on prices are based on my research in my area, which is
Central North Carolina (RTP). Prices are likely to vary widely. I've heard
(not witnessed first hand) that West Coast prices tend to be a little
better, and the cars in generally better conditon. I do know that there are
more of them.

--hal

--
h...@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu "..now that Mac way of doing things has taken hold,
neto...@ncsuvm.bitnet will we ever be able to get rid of it?"

Jim Fuller

Apr 19, 1991, 12:02:35 PM4/19/91
> * Maybe Alfa spiders, like the
> *Duetto and early Kamm tail cars will double (the earlier Giulietta and Giulia
> *spiders are already too expensive).
>
> the boat-tailed spiders (the 1600 Duetto and the 1969 1750 spider) have
> already started climbing;

Seeing as how I own a '67 Duetto, I'd like to know just how expensive are
they? Any offers?

Jim
---------