Toyota 4x4 engine swap (can do this?)

Mark Frazier

Dec 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/28/95
I have an '86 toyota 4x4 with a 22r engine (4 cyl). Thanks
to driving my wifes corolla for the last couple weeks (with
the 16 valve EFI 4FE engine) I've become increasingly aware
of just how gutless that truck as been these past then years.

So, when the engine finally goes (who knows when, 150K and going
strong), I'd like to put a different type of engine in it. Does
anyone know if there are kits to allow me any of the following
swaps (without having to change the transmission)?

- A newer model toyota V-6
- perhaps a small block chevy V-8

Thanks in advance.
Please email me your responses.

Mark Frazier "Train Hard, Eat Healthy, Die Anyway"
Software Engineer/Consultant
mfra...@rmii.com Denver, Colorado, USA

Ed Wong

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
In article <4buvm8$1...@natasha.rmii.com>, mfra...@rainbow.rmii.com (Mark Frazier) says:

> - A newer model toyota V-6
> - perhaps a small block chevy V-8

Yes, there DOZENS of companies making various adapters
etc to fit anything short of a Studebaker into Toyotas.

I believe the 86 solid axle pickups had several tranny options,
4speed, 5speed, and auto. Many of these are MARGINAL w/ a 22R
and anything bigger will break stuff. Check w/ each of the following
companies for their recomendations.

My Toyota cross ref indicates the following trannies were
in 86 4x4s - G52 (carb), W56 (injected), R151F (turbo)
and A340H (auto)

The following are the hardcore Toyota pickup guys

Downey OffRoad - 310.949.9494
Northwest OffRoad - 206.676.1200

Most adapters/kits are actually made by Advance Adapter.
Get their catalog - its worth it just to show what you're
getting into and its ALOT...
805.238.700. Ask for the Toyota catalog...there's lots of
options there

TCK also has adapters - 619.448.0899
Autofab has a Ford v6 to Toyota - 619.562.1740

LC Engineering can get 200Hp out of the 22R - 909.596.5494

Hell I ought to open a Toyota BBoard!

EWong

Small Block

Dec 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/30/95
A popular interchange manual will help but no two conversions are the
same.
Also check with the motor vihicle police and the emission control
boards in your area on the legality of such swaps. I know of 3 states
that consider the stock condition the only condition for street legal
operation any thing else has to be off road use only and must be
trailred on any public roadway. This excludes stock replacement parts
and 50 state legal parts that are on the list in your area. Just
because it says 50 state legal dosen't mean you'll pass inspection, if
the part isn't on their list you FAIL!!!!!

Small Block
Chevy Mania