Crosley Cars.

cuh...@webtv.net

Feb 15, 2010, 11:29:19 PM2/15/10
http://crosleyautoclub.com

Yeah, that's the ticket.I want me a Crosley Station Wagon for going to
the food store.
cuhulin

Hachiroku ハチロク

Feb 16, 2010, 12:18:06 AM2/16/10

Cool! Love the purple!

Don Stauffer

Feb 16, 2010, 9:46:47 AM2/16/10

Well, I do have a Crosley engine in my TQ vintage race car, but wouldn't
mind a full car. The price has gotten a bit too high for me. The one I
really want is the Hotshot, ne Super Sport.

N8N

Feb 16, 2010, 10:17:08 AM2/16/10
On Feb 16, 9:46 am, Don Stauffer <stauf...@usfamily.net> wrote:

CoBra or cast iron?

nate

cuh...@webtv.net

Feb 16, 2010, 10:24:53 AM2/16/10
Back in the 1950s, when my dad and I were at a local gas station, there
was a Crosley car parked by the gas pumps.I remember asking my dad to
buy that Crosley car for me.

In 1949, my dad bought a second hand Doodlebug motor scooter for me.My
sisters rode that motor scooter more than I ever did.I still have one of
the Doodlebug engine cover thingys here.I don't remember whatever became
of the rest of that Doodlebug motor scooter.

I remember our first gas engine lawnmower.I thought that gas engine
lawnmower was the greatest invention since sliced bread.
cuhulin

Ashton Crusher

Feb 17, 2010, 12:57:38 AM2/17/10

Hmm, they are so proud of Crosley cars they don't even bother putting
a photo of one on their homepage.

Tegger

Feb 17, 2010, 8:56:18 AM2/17/10
Ashton Crusher <de...@moore.net> wrote in

The AACA museum in Hershey used to have an open Crosley (a Hotshot?) on
their basement floor next to the buses. You were allowed to sit in it and
play with the controls.

It was cute, but awfully tiny inside; it felt tinier than an original Mini.
The long, cranked shift lever had a ton of play in it and moved in an up-
and-down motion when changing gears, which felt awkward to this modern-car
driver.

--
Tegger

Don Stauffer

Feb 17, 2010, 10:03:08 AM2/17/10

Cast iron. In fact, most of the blocks folks around here use in TQs are
later than the original Crosleys. Crosley sold rights to engine to
several concerns. They used them for electric generators and for
driving refrigeration units.

Web page on my car;

http://www.usfamily.net/web/stauffer/hhtq.htm

cuh...@webtv.net

Feb 17, 2010, 11:27:37 AM2/17/10
I like those little, old, race cars.Many years ago, some people would
buy second hand Ford Model Ts for about $5.00 and soup the engines up
and nothing but a seat to sit on and race those hot rod Model Ts.Modern
day auto racing stems from Moonshiners, Rum Runners and Bootleggers.
cuhulin

AMuzi

Feb 17, 2010, 3:37:20 PM2/17/10

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> Hmm, they are so proud of Crosley cars they don't even bother putting
> a photo of one on their homepage.

Well, pretty cars abound:
http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/main

Best of all, we won't run out of them in my lifetime!

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

cuh...@webtv.net

Feb 17, 2010, 4:48:13 PM2/17/10
A few weeks ago, somebody in the rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled newsgroup
was looking for an airconditioning unit for their aircooled VW.Maybe you
might know of something that could help them?
cuhulin

Ashton Crusher

Feb 18, 2010, 12:36:27 AM2/18/10
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 13:56:18 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <inv...@invalid.inv>
wrote:

People must have been a lot smaller way back when. If you go look at
some of the first pickup trucks the cabs can be incredibly small.

cuh...@webtv.net

Feb 18, 2010, 1:25:10 AM2/18/10
I think most people were thinner way back then.All that junk food out
there, America is becoming a nation of fatsos now.
cuhulin

Tegger

Feb 18, 2010, 7:48:46 AM2/18/10

> People must have been a lot smaller way back when. If you go look at
> some of the first pickup trucks the cabs can be incredibly small.

They /were/ slightly smaller.

6-feet heights were much rarer 70 years ago than today; nutrition and
health care are much better now than 70 years ago.

Take a look at today's kids. My father was 6" even; I'm 6'2"; when I was
20, I was usually the tallest one around where I was, but now (at age 48)
there are scads of 20-somethings who are well over that. I have two nephews
who are 6'4".

Vehicle interiors were naturally narrower, back then, because the bodies
were contoured to fit the frame, which necked down in order to pass inside
the front wheels. And the steering wheels were made large and close to the
driver so he would have lots of leverage.

--
Tegger

Don Stauffer

Feb 18, 2010, 9:37:57 AM2/18/10
They were shorter too. Average height is going up.

cuh...@webtv.net

Feb 18, 2010, 10:49:57 AM2/18/10
Some of those old cars, if you were wearing a Top Hat, you wouldn't have
to remove your Top Hat when you got in those cars.They had a lot of
headroom.
cuhulin

Don Stauffer

Feb 19, 2010, 9:57:34 AM2/19/10

My dad used to work at Chrysler. The story was, the chairman would
always try the new models wearing a hat. Some versions said it was a
top hat, others just a dress hat. He had to be able to get into car
without removing hat.

Tegger

Feb 19, 2010, 10:04:25 AM2/19/10
Don Stauffer <stau...@usfamily.net> wrote in news:4b7ea6dd$0$87074
$815e...@news.qwest.net:

That was K.T. Keller. His decision to elevate engineering over styling
almost bankrupted Chrysler.

Virgil Exner's "forward look" of 1955 eventually saved the company, but it
still needed a bailout from Prudential Insurance in 1956 in order to avoid
going under.

--
Tegger

Ashton Crusher

Feb 19, 2010, 7:19:39 PM2/19/10
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:04:25 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <inv...@invalid.inv>
wrote:

>Don Stauffer <stau...@usfamily.net> wrote in news:4b7ea6dd$0$87074

Some of the best looking Chrysler products EVER!!

cuh...@webtv.net

Feb 19, 2010, 7:27:51 PM2/19/10
Won't be much longer untill my Daffodils will be blooming.I want a
Daffodil car.That would be just right, parked by my Daffodils.
http://www.ritzsite.nl
cuhulin

Tegger

Feb 19, 2010, 8:00:24 PM2/19/10
Ashton Crusher <de...@moore.net> wrote in

Yep. Very good-looking cars.

Exner had it nailed until about 1960, when he seemed to run out of ideas.
Case in point: 1962 Dodge Dart. I do believe that was the car which got him
fired and replaced by Elwood Engel.

My daddy had a '56 Dodge Crusader, which was the Canadian version of the
US '56 Dodge Royal. He smacked that up (long hospital stay), then bought a
'58 Dodge Regent, which was basically a US '58 Dodge Royal, but with
Plymouth fins.

Us kids LOVED that pushbutton automatic!

--
Tegger

cuh...@webtv.net

Feb 19, 2010, 8:55:40 PM2/19/10
Some of the Edsel cars had push button automatic transmissions.The push
buttons were in the middle of the steering wheel.Sometimes the push
buttons didn't work too well.Other than that, I think the Edsels were
good cars.
cuhulin

Ashton Crusher

Feb 19, 2010, 9:17:19 PM2/19/10
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 01:00:24 +0000 (UTC), Tegger <inv...@invalid.inv>
wrote:

Yeah, the early 60's+ had some horrendous looking ones. We had a 60
Dodge Matador, one of the nicest cars ever made IMHO. A friend of the
family had a 60 Lincoln Premier, also nice if you like em BIG. I wish
I could own one of each.

M.A. Stewart

Feb 19, 2010, 9:18:59 PM2/19/10

We used to do that as kids... but when the old man yelled, "are
you GD kids playing with the buttons again!!!", some of us would
shift into TorqueFlite, and peel out to hide behind the oak tree...
others would simply be neutralized by torquefright.

> --
> Tegger

Tegger

Feb 19, 2010, 9:23:19 PM2/19/10
cuh...@webtv.net wrote in news:29594-4B7F411C-7414@storefull-
3172.bay.webtv.net:

What us kids (well, primarily I) discovered in the '58 Dodge was that it
was possible to push all the buttons behind the faceplate at the same time.
Our parents HATED this, for some odd reason.

Screwdrivers were kept readily to hand for the inevitable that occurred
whenever we were left alone in the car for any length of time...

--
Tegger

cuh...@webtv.net

Feb 19, 2010, 9:50:22 PM2/19/10
Some Packard cars had push button transmissions too.Push button gear
shifts date way on back to the antique cars era.I have a lot of books
here about those antique cars.
cuhulin

Scott Dorsey

Feb 20, 2010, 8:41:17 AM2/20/10
In article <29595-4B7...@storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net>,

Hold out for a VW with the bud vase on the dashboard.
--scott