Thoughts on the Winston

Tinadog

May 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/17/97

1. Whoever said that the Winston should/would move to Texas
as a second race date...not until Texas can match the lighting
system. Those cars really do look great under the lights.

2. Wheaties...the car looked great. And the can ran great!
I guess DE finally found a second paint job that didn't jinx him.

3. Geoff Bodine...keep talking about those great Hoosiers...
Gee, I wonder if he will have tire problems next week?

Tinadog says: Anyone know how the ARCA race went?
I'm rooting for the r.a.s.n'ers there!

Craig Witkowski

May 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/18/97

On 17 May 1997 23:01:22 GMT, tin...@aol.com (Tinadog) wrote:

>1. Whoever said that the Winston should/would move to Texas
>as a second race date...not until Texas can match the lighting
>system. Those cars really do look great under the lights.

Amen. I had to agree that Musco (Ron Musco, you still lurking?) did an awesome
job at CMS! When I did the Fast Track night school in '93, I couldn't believe
how well I could see the track under the lights, and how non-distracting the
lighting job is. Superb!

>2. Wheaties...the car looked great. And the can ran great!
>I guess DE finally found a second paint job that didn't jinx him.
>
>3. Geoff Bodine...keep talking about those great Hoosiers...
>Gee, I wonder if he will have tire problems next week?

More was flapping than B. Labonte's flaps after Martin applying the chrome horn,
for one of numerous (ok, three times seen on tv) times tonight.

>Tinadog says: Anyone know how the ARCA race went?
>I'm rooting for the r.a.s.n'ers there!

According to WRAL-TV's web site:

Mark Thompson won his first ARCA race, Ed Berrier second, pole-sitter Gary
Laton, Jerry Nadeau and Matt Hutter were the top five.

I haven't found any info yet on Andy Hillenburg, but I'm still searching.
---
Craig Witkowski CWNA...@notworldnet.att.net
Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars!

(Header address changed to block spamming robots from glomming my address)
(remove "not" for correct e-mail address)

Tinadog

May 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/18/97

In article <337f827f...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
ann...@net.spammers (Craig Witkowski) writes:

>More was flapping than B. Labonte's flaps after Martin applying the
chrome
>horn, for one of numerous (ok, three times seen on tv) times tonight.

The incident with Bobby Labonte was Mark's fault...I believe he
apologized. The bump of Sterling occured when the car behind
Mark bumped him into Sterling...was that Waltrip? Can't remember.

I guess being the little DE fan that you are you have to
try to play up things like that in an effort to get people
to forget that your driver is known as THE CHROME HORN GUY".

Tinadog says: ARCA results...where are the full ARCA results?

Tinadog

May 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/18/97

#11 Andy Hillenburg finished 15th.

#75 Ken Martin finished 9th (congratulations guys).

#48 Mike Buckley didn't make the race...I wish you better
luck later in the week.

Tinadog says: Charlotte...the center of the racing world in May!

Jim Zastryzny

May 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/18/97

On 17 May 1997 23:01:22 GMT, tin...@aol.com (Tinadog) wrote:

>1. Whoever said that the Winston should/would move to Texas
>as a second race date...not until Texas can match the lighting
>system. Those cars really do look great under the lights.
>

>2. Wheaties...the car looked great. And the can ran great!
>I guess DE finally found a second paint job that didn't jinx him.
>
>3. Geoff Bodine...keep talking about those great Hoosiers...
>Gee, I wonder if he will have tire problems next week?
>

>Tinadog says: Anyone know how the ARCA race went?
>I'm rooting for the r.a.s.n'ers there!

Isn't the lighting at Texas a direct steal from CMS? I heard that they
even used the same fixtures, which were custom designed for CMS.

Craig Witkowski

May 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/18/97

On 18 May 1997 00:42:32 GMT, tin...@aol.com (Tinadog) wrote:

>In article <337f827f...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
>ann...@net.spammers (Craig Witkowski) writes:
>

>>More was flapping than B. Labonte's flaps after Martin applying the
>chrome
>>horn, for one of numerous (ok, three times seen on tv) times tonight.
>
>The incident with Bobby Labonte was Mark's fault...I believe he
>apologized. The bump of Sterling occured when the car behind
>Mark bumped him into Sterling...was that Waltrip? Can't remember.

For someone to point out overagressive driving by someone in a black #3,
you sure are quick to pardon it when it comes to someone in the 6
getting frisky in Cup and the 60 decimating the BGN regulars.

>I guess being the little DE fan that you are you have to
>try to play up things like that in an effort to get people
>to forget that your driver is known as THE CHROME HORN GUY".

I guess being the yipping little chihuahua that *you* are you try to play up
Earnhardt's comments to make people forget that your guy is the Busch Whacker.

John 'aka' Deliveryboy

May 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/18/97

Craig Witkowski wrote:

> On 18 May 1997 00:42:32 GMT, tin...@aol.com (Tinadog) wrote:
>
> >In article <337f827f...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
> >ann...@net.spammers (Craig Witkowski) writes:

> >I guess being the little DE fan that you are you have to
> >try to play up things like that in an effort to get people
> >to forget that your driver is known as THE CHROME HORN GUY".
>
> I guess being the yipping little chihuahua that *you* are you try to play up
> Earnhardt's comments to make people forget that your guy is the Busch Whacker.

Not trying to get involved with a "personality" conflict but why do you
always bring up
BGN races whenever Mark's name comes up?
Second, What does Dale's statement about Mark's comment about spoilers
have to do with Mark racing in BGN? Nothing. Why bring it up? I respect
your right to have an opinion but to bring it up in an unrelated post is
not necessary.

John

Yes I am a Mark Martin fan.

--
John 'aka' Deliveryboy

Deliveryboy's Entertainment Links
http://www.mindspring.com/~deliveryboy/7246/entern.htm

deliv...@mindspring.com
Favorite key combo: ALT+CTRL+DEL

"That's the news and I am outta here."
-Dennis Miller- Emmy winner 1996

Majin Boo

May 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/18/97

Tinadog wrote:

> 1. Whoever said that the Winston should/would move to Texas
> as a second race date...not until Texas can match the lighting
> system. Those cars really do look great under the lights.

They should also consider the whole convenience thing.. most teams are
based in Charlotte..

Tom Brinkman

May 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/18/97

Tinadog wrote:

> 1. Whoever said that the Winston should/would move to Texas
> as a second race date...not until Texas can match the lighting
> system. Those cars really do look great under the lights.

Hey Dog, TMS does have lights, just like Charlotte's.

~~~~~~ Tom Brinkman ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ nascar *fan* ~~~~~
Katy,Texas to...@hal-pc.org #3 #6 #5 #25 #18

Craig Witkowski

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

On Sun, 18 May 1997 15:12:34 -0400, John 'aka' Deliveryboy
<deliv...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Not trying to get involved with a "personality" conflict but why do you
>always bring up
>BGN races whenever Mark's name comes up?
>Second, What does Dale's statement about Mark's comment about spoilers
>have to do with Mark racing in BGN? Nothing. Why bring it up? I respect
>your right to have an opinion but to bring it up in an unrelated post is
>not necessary.

Since tinadog brought out to question DE's character of his on-track behavior as

the "chrome horn guy" in a circle of blames between DE and MM fans, I'm just
reminding the yipper that his dude is also stirring up a controversy pot. MM
complains about advantages the Chevy guys have in WC, but his advantage of
running a WC team in BGN doesn't count? PUUUULLLLEEEZZZEEE!

>John
>
>Yes I am a Mark Martin fan.

No apologies necessary, duly noted. :)

Robert Whitehill

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

On Mon, 19 May 1997 01:45:53 GMT, ann...@net.spammers (Craig
Witkowski) wrote:

>the "chrome horn guy" in a circle of blames between DE and MM fans, I'm just
>reminding the yipper that his dude is also stirring up a controversy pot. MM
>complains about advantages the Chevy guys have in WC, but his advantage of
>running a WC team in BGN doesn't count? PUUUULLLLEEEZZZEEE!
>

>---
>Craig Witkowski CWNA...@notworldnet.att.net
> Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars!
>
>(Header address changed to block spamming robots from glomming my address)
> (remove "not" for correct e-mail address)

Since when does Mark run his Valvoline Ford in BGN races?
Does the #60 Winn Dixie team have better equipment then the top BGN
teams? Possible, but highly unlikely. Most of the top teams in BGN
can field cars just as good as the #60 car. If they can't then they
should get better sponsors. It's the driver (MM) who has been winning
the races.

Go whine about something else. Whenever I see your name, you
are either defending DE or assulting MM in BGN.

Robert Whitehill
----------------
Mark Martin #1 in 1997

Alan J. Nice Pants Claffie

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

On Wed, 21 May 1997 01:56:46 GMT, rwh...@erols.com (Robert Whitehill)
wrote:

> Since when does Mark run his Valvoline Ford in BGN races?
>Does the #60 Winn Dixie team have better equipment then the top BGN
>teams? Possible, but highly unlikely.

I'd go with "Probably" instead of "possible, but highly unlikely".

> Most of the top teams in BGN
>can field cars just as good as the #60 car. If they can't then they
>should get better sponsors.

That's mighty cavalier of you to say that. Can you also see the
solution for world peace from that perch of yours? Maybe if the
Winston Cup regulars weren't dipping into the Busch regulars, the
Busch regulars would be getting the "better" sponsors instead of those
sponsors going onto partial-schedule ego strokers?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Alan J. Claffie PARSIMONIOUS PRODUCTIONS aclaffie 'at' bgnn.com
Southern New England Correspondent for "The Racin' Paper"
Unofficial NASCAR Busch North Site: http://www.bgnn.com

Craig Witkowski

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

On Wed, 21 May 1997 01:56:46 GMT, rwh...@erols.com (Robert Whitehill) wrote:

>On Mon, 19 May 1997 01:45:53 GMT, ann...@net.spammers (Craig
>Witkowski) wrote:
>

>>the "chrome horn guy" in a circle of blames between DE and MM fans, I'm just
>>reminding the yipper that his dude is also stirring up a controversy pot. MM
>>complains about advantages the Chevy guys have in WC, but his advantage of
>>running a WC team in BGN doesn't count? PUUUULLLLEEEZZZEEE!
>>
>>---
>>Craig Witkowski CWNA...@notworldnet.att.net
>> Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars!
>>
>>(Header address changed to block spamming robots from glomming my address)
>> (remove "not" for correct e-mail address)
>

> Since when does Mark run his Valvoline Ford in BGN races?
>Does the #60 Winn Dixie team have better equipment then the top BGN

>teams? Possible, but highly unlikely. Most of the top teams in BGN

>can field cars just as good as the #60 car. If they can't then they

>should get better sponsors. It's the driver (MM) who has been winning
>the races.
>
> Go whine about something else. Whenever I see your name, you
>are either defending DE or assulting MM in BGN.

You know damn well what I mean about the Busch Whacker. When Mark gets done
with the towel, maybe you can borrow it. "Most of the top teams in BGN" don't
have megabucks sponsorships or an R&D factory called Roush Racing sticking a
golden spoon in their rearends with all his goodies.

As for defending DE, he's earned a bad rep, and has also been crucified far more

often *undeservedly* because of having a "bad" history. How do *you* defend
someone who has to stroke his ego by playing schoolyard bully on the lower
grades? And of course, MM punting BL was purely accidental, like when he punted
Marlin with his "disadvanted" thunderchicken on his way to the front, while DE
has crosshairs on his windshield. :P

>Robert Whitehill
>----------------
>Mark Martin #1 in 1997

If he doesn't slip on the wet spot on his floorboard
---
Craig Witkowski CWNASCAR3<AT>worldnet<DOT>att<DOT>net

P. Campbell

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

Craig Witkowski wrote:

> As for defending DE, he's earned a bad rep, and has also been crucified far more

^^^^^^
Earned being the operative word here.

> often *undeservedly* because of having a "bad" history. How do *you* defend

^^^
But then you go an put "bad" in quotes. Old reputations die hard Craig,
you
know that. Earnhardt has a bad history when it comes to using the
chrome
horn, ask DW, BE, Handsome Harry, SM, and several others he had run-ins
with
in the '80's. How many times was he fined by NASCAR in the '80's for
rough driving? I can remember three or four in one year alone.

While he's worked hard to live down the bad rep, it does not replace
the history. The fact that some people still dwell on that IS unfair,
especially when there are other drivers just as guilty (EI, RW come to
mind). But that still doesn't erase the bad history.

Pat

Pat Campbell Sanctioning bodies should make rules, 6,94,88,16,4,33
Lexington, AL not design cars! War Eagle!!!
psca...@HiWAAY.net
Home Page: http://fly.hiwaay.net/~pscampbe/pscindex.html
Scale Models: http://fly.hiwaay.net/~pscampbe/models.html

Craig Witkowski

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

On 21 May 97 10:42:25 GMT, "beavis" <bea...@kenton.com> wrote:

>A bad rep??? Undeservedly?? Earnhardt??? I'll have whatever he's smokin'!!!

Bad Rep? yep. Undeservedly? WRT the mid 90's, yep. People here still give Jimmy
Spencer crap and he has cleaned up his act a hundredfold compared to how he
earned his rep.

>What little fantasy world are you living in??? DE earned his reputation
>doing what he does best,putting cars better than his into the wall. Take
^^^^
>away his rough driving tactics and he has 1 or maybe 2 championships. Then
>take away the fact that drivers move over and let him pass just so that
>they can have a car to finish the race and you'll be left with a driver
>lucky to finish in the top 5 in points.

Your crystal ball tell you this? Take away Rusty's rough driving tactics and he
would have zero. Take away rough driving tactics from other drivers, and they
may decrease too You have some obsession with thinking DE is the only dirty
driver on the track. Get some Prozac. "Drivers move over and let him pass just
so that they can have a car to finish the race"? What crystal ball do you have
that tells you what's in a drivers' mind and which Jack Roush shop did you steal
it from?

>As for MM "stealing" BGN money,look who set some of the records MM is close
>to breaking. Nobody other than DE. Did you forget that he ran part time in
>BGN for many years after he became successful in WC??

No I don't forget that. Did you forget who ran that team? DE. Did you forget
where he got his engines from? *NOT* RCR. Did you forget who his crew chief
was? *NOT* Kirk Shelmerdine. Put Mark back in a pre-Roush run BGN team, like
when he ran for Bill Davis, and see the results, a decent driver tooling around,
not the Robin Hood in reverse of today.

>Saying MM is the chrome horn driver is damn ridiculous. Yes,he tapped BL
>and yes he tangled with SM the week before...but you better watch an
>assload of old races if you want to find too many more wrecks that he has
>caused. It just doesn't happen very often.

He tangled with SM and BL in the same damn race. I guess both cars were guilty
of *backing into* Martin, since with such a "disadvantaged" car he sure as hell
couldn't have been moving to the front.

>I said it before and I'll say it again...Since NASCAR is now smiling on
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>boy-wonder,looks like DE is little more than a mediocre driver. Perhaps he
^^^^^^^^^^
>should go back to BGN and let the Parks teach him a thing or two.

Again with your crystal ball? Maybe you could pass that over to a BGN team so
they know which races not to enter, so they won't be "cannon fodder" for the 60
car. If ya don't recognize that phrase, ask your buddy Jack Roush about Suzuka
testing.

MartinGo6

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

HEY Craig!!!! Lighten up!
How anyone can jump on Mark Martin for anything is beyond me. What about
his success in IROC? MM has an all around ability on all types of tracks
(39th to 3rd at Martinsville, Talledega wins, Road course dominance). The
guy is a class act. I know, you feel you have to defend Earnhardt to the
last breath on this news group, but #6 got it goin' now. I'm sorry, I was
holdin my breath watchin' that Dega race and hoping Mark would keep
his distance. Don't know why, but I was. Hmmmm.
Anyway Craig, I hope the rest of the season is as good as it has been so far.
It is good to see DE up front again, makes it even sweeter when Martin or
whomever beats him. After all he is the best. And if you are going to win
how good does it feel to beat the best. :^)

It's over!!! I'm Out!!!

Art Heaton

Mark Martin - Go #6 - Beat them Chevys!

Pat Farnsworth

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

"beavis" <bea...@kenton.com> wrote:

>A bad rep??? Undeservedly?? Earnhardt??? I'll have whatever he's smokin'!!!

>What little fantasy world are you living in??? DE earned his reputation
>doing what he does best,putting cars better than his into the wall. Take

>away his rough driving tactics and he has 1 or maybe 2 championships. Then

>take away the fact that drivers move over and let him pass just so that
>they can have a car to finish the race and you'll be left with a driver
>lucky to finish in the top 5 in points.

Dale made his way to the top in the same manner as many of the other
greats in NASCAR. It wasn't always the PC sport its becoming. You
think the moonshine runners politely asked each other and the cops to
please step aside while I come through? As for the other cars moving
over on the track I guess then you'll agree that he truly is THE
INTIMIDATOR. Intimidating is a tool we've all used at least once or
twice in our lives.

>As for MM "stealing" BGN money,look who set some of the records MM is close
>to breaking. Nobody other than DE. Did you forget that he ran part time in
>BGN for many years after he became successful in WC??

He's not run in BGN now for a couple of years. And BGN has gotten
along just fine without him, hasn't it? When Dale ran BGN, BGN was a
struggling (for fans anyway) series. The cup guys coming down to run
them helped fatten the coiuffers. They were needed. Its different
now. I feel we should start running BGN without the cuppers. Let's
see if its strong enough.....I think it is. I really hate to compare
baseball to stock car racing but the similarities are there. Triple A
baseball teams seem to get along just fine without the big names in
there. We go to AAA games to watch the up and coming stars. The
seats sold remain about the same whether Joe "I made it" is there or
not. Yea, those big names come down and play once in a while but only
when they aren't doing so well in the majors. Its a stretch, I know,
but I feel this is comparable to a WC driver running his OWN team in
BGN.

I know, I know....but these are my opinions on this subject and it
would take a strong argument from someone to change it.

>Saying MM is the chrome horn driver is damn ridiculous. Yes,he tapped BL
>and yes he tangled with SM the week before...but you better watch an

>assload of old races if you want to find too many more wrecks that he has
>caused. It just doesn't happen very often.

A little flamebait here?

>I said it before and I'll say it again...Since NASCAR is now smiling on

>boy-wonder,looks like DE is little more than a mediocre driver. Perhaps he

>should go back to BGN and let the Parks teach him a thing or two.

If Wonderpunk and/or Parks get 7 cups, maybe he will.

>#6....quest for the cup.........GO MARK GO!!!!!!!!!!

I'm normally a woman of few words, but, Boy Howdy! You really jerked
my chains this time......congrats! :)

Go #3!!!

Pat

Neil Leipziger

May 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/22/97

On Wed, 21 May 1997 04:41:23 GMT, ann...@net.spammers (Craig
Witkowski) wrote:

>often *undeservedly* because of having a "bad" history. How do *you* defend

>someone who has to stroke his ego by playing schoolyard bully on the lower
>grades? And of course, MM punting BL was purely accidental, like when he punted
>Marlin with his "disadvanted" thunderchicken on his way to the front, while DE
>has crosshairs on his windshield. :P
>
>>Robert Whitehill
>>----------------
>>Mark Martin #1 in 1997
>
>If he doesn't slip on the wet spot on his floorboard

>---
>Craig Witkowski CWNASCAR3<AT>worldnet<DOT>att<DOT>net
> Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars!
>
>(Header address changed to block spamming robots from glomming my address)

At least he had the courtesy to apologize to the Gibb's team, rather
than just say "it's one of them racing deals"

Eric Aldhizer

May 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/22/97

> Isn't the lighting at Texas a direct steal from CMS? I heard that they
> even used the same fixtures, which were custom designed for CMS.

Bruton Smith owns both tracks, I would guess that that is his right to use
the same lighting system. And since he does own both tracks, he could
certainly make more money holding the Winston Select at Texas, since the
seating capacity is larger.

Tom Brinkman

May 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/25/97

Alan J. Nice Pants Claffie wrote:

> That's mighty cavalier of you to say that. Can you also see the
> solution for world peace from that perch of yours? Maybe if the
> Winston Cup regulars weren't dipping into the Busch regulars, the
> Busch regulars would be getting the "better" sponsors instead of those
> sponsors going onto partial-schedule ego strokers?

Here our view of the situation is opposed Alan. I would
think if you object to the Cup drivers like Martin, both Labonte's,
Dale Jarrett, and so on, the premise would be that you see them as
lacking integrity, and engaging in unfair and unsportmanship conduct ?
That the competition should be legislated to exclude some teams
by denying them the chance to qualify for BGN races ? That this
affirmative action in behalf of the BGN teams would actually benefit
them ? That lowering the standards of BGN would make it a better
series ?

As to your comment about sponsors, we don't have to just look
at the present. In the 6 or 7 years BGN and WC races have been
coupled there's been a growing increase in the fan base of the BGN
drivers and races. The increase in the number and 'quality' of the
sponsors has increased proportionally, for both the Cup/BGN and
the BGN teams. To say this would have happened without the WC
involvement is shown to be false by the lack of the attendance of
the 'solo' BGN events when compared to the WC/BGN races.

John 'aka' Deliveryboy

May 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/25/97

Tom Brinkman wrote:

> As to your comment about sponsors, we don't have to just look
> at the present. In the 6 or 7 years BGN and WC races have been
> coupled there's been a growing increase in the fan base of the BGN
> drivers and races. The increase in the number and 'quality' of the
> sponsors has increased proportionally, for both the Cup/BGN and
> the BGN teams. To say this would have happened without the WC
> involvement is shown to be false by the lack of the attendance of
> the 'solo' BGN events when compared to the WC/BGN races.

Also the field was short at Nazareth. Only 35 cars ran. All the Cuppers
were in Charlotte so you had no Jarrett, Labonte, Martin, MWaltrip, etc.

John