"50 WORST CARS EVER" LIST - DEBATE IT NOW FELLOWS

Rob Cypher

Sep 8, 2007, 10:57:52 AM9/8/07
1899 Horsey Horseless
1909 Ford Model T
1911 Overland OctoAuto
1913 Scripps-Booth Bi-Autogo
1920 Briggs and Stratton Flyer
1933 Fuller Dymaxion
1934 Chrysler/Desoto Airflow
1949 Crosley Hotshot
1956 Renault Dauphine
1957 King Midget Model III
1957 Waterman Aerobile
1958 Ford Edsel
1958 Lotus Elite
1958 MGA Twin Cam
1958 Zunndapp Janus
1961 Amphicar
1961 Corvair
1966 Peel Trident
1970 AMC Gremlin
1970 Triumph Stag
1971 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron Two-Door Hardtop
1971 Ford Pinto
1974 Jaguar XK-E V12 Series III
1975 Bricklin SV1
1975 Morgan Plus 8 Propane
1975 Triumph TR7
1975 Trabant
1976 Aston Martin Lagonda
1976 Chevy Chevette
1978 AMC Pacer
1980 Corvette 305 "California"
1980 Ferrari Mondial 8
1981 Cadillac Fleetwood V-8-6-4
1981 De Lorean DMC-12
1982 Cadillac Cimarron
1982 Camaro Iron Duke
1984 Maserati Biturbo
1985 Mosler Consulier GTP
1985 Yugo GV
1986 Lamborghini LM002
1995 Ford Explorer
1997 GM EV1
1997 Plymouth Prowler
1998 Fiat Multipla
2000 Ford Excursion
2001 Jaguar X-Type
2001 Pontiac Aztek
2002 BMW 7-series
2003 Hummer H2
2004 Chevy SSR

any objections to this list? Speak now! Or forever hold your peace.

robcypher.livejournal.com

mattmatical

Sep 8, 2007, 11:09:15 AM9/8/07
Fuck cars period.

Matt
"Arm, aber geng no z'stolz für Migros-Budget
derfür fingsch mi a jedem free-for-all Buffet"

David E. Powell

Sep 8, 2007, 11:27:45 AM9/8/07
On Sep 8, 10:57 am, Rob Cypher <robcypherena...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1899 Horsey Horseless

Yeah, right.

> 1909 Ford Model T

Model T is more like one of the best ever, if not the best.

> 1911 Overland OctoAuto
> 1913 Scripps-Booth Bi-Autogo
> 1920 Briggs and Stratton Flyer
> 1933 Fuller Dymaxion
> 1934 Chrysler/Desoto Airflow
> 1949 Crosley Hotshot
> 1956 Renault Dauphine
> 1957 King Midget Model III
> 1957 Waterman Aerobile
> 1958 Ford Edsel

As a flop yeah, as a car it wasn't too bad for the time, feature wise,
it just didn't go over. (Think Pontiac Aztek)

> 1958 Lotus Elite

Is it possible for a Lotus to be a bad car?

> 1958 MGA Twin Cam
> 1958 Zunndapp Janus
> 1961 Amphicar

Oh no, Amphicars are cool. They were Geek nirvana long before iPods.

> 1961 Corvair

>From Nader's book?

> 1966 Peel Trident
> 1970 AMC Gremlin

Waynes World Wayne's World.... ;) Yeah funny looking sucker the
Gremlin, were any made in 1970?

> 1970 Triumph Stag

Was this about the time the British motorcycles were also going under?
Reliability stuff, sleeve valves etc.?

> 1971 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron Two-Door Hardtop

I thought only Buick made a LaBaron? Hm.

> 1971 Ford Pinto
> 1974 Jaguar XK-E V12 Series III
> 1975 Bricklin SV1
> 1975 Morgan Plus 8 Propane
> 1975 Triumph TR7
> 1975 Trabant

Oh yeah, the East German Clunker gets mention in any bad car list.
They didn't just put up the wall to keep the East Germans in but to
keep them from seeing the West Germans driving VWs, Audis, BMWs and
Mercedes, I am sure car commercials intercepted by the East Germans
must have played some part in ending Communism.

> 1976 Aston Martin Lagonda
> 1976 Chevy Chevette

Maybe '76 was a bad year, I have seen Chevettes that lasted so long
you wouldn't _believe._ Chevette actually makes my best car list for
that reason. Rugged, cheap, lasted like mad.

> 1978 AMC Pacer
> 1980 Corvette 305 "California"

A bad 'Vette? Is there such a thing?

> 1980 Ferrari Mondial 8

Oh, I think I see a pattern, Ferraris in the early 80s had some
problems with Catalytic Converters going bad. Maybe the 'Vette had a
similar problem?

> 1981 Cadillac Fleetwood V-8-6-4

Oh the variable cylinders engine - An idea that has come back now, but
then was hard because they didn't have as good a technology to do it.
Also a reason early GM Diesel attempts had problems, the tech to make
it burn clean and efficient wasn't as good. Pretty car though.

> 1981 De Lorean DMC-12

Classic ;) Even with faults...

> 1982 Cadillac Cimarron

There's no such thing as a bad looking Caddy... even the chopped back
Sevilles from the 80s are OK from most angles ;)

> 1982 Camaro Iron Duke
> 1984 Maserati Biturbo
> 1985 Mosler Consulier GTP
> 1985 Yugo GV

Hehe! the CLASSIC! Yugo woo hoo ;) Yugo's bid helped get Hyundai to
come to the US though, or so I thought. Still, yeah. Wasn't it
basically a redone Fiat?

> 1986 Lamborghini LM002

A bad Lambo? Zuh?

> 1995 Ford Explorer
> 1997 GM EV1

Good idea, though, about 10 years ahead of it's time, just it wasn't
perfect and it came out at a time when bigger cars were in.

> 1997 Plymouth Prowler

Maybe, but I love the look of the Prowler. Oh well.

> 1998 Fiat Multipla
> 2000 Ford Excursion
> 2001 Jaguar X-Type

OH YES. I remember they came out with this and said they had beaten
reliability problems Jaguars had in the past, and how wonderful and
reliable it would be. A few months later I drove from New Jersey up
through New York State. Between the Jersey Shore and NYC I passed
about three of four of these cars abandoned at the side of the road.
The only people I know who ever bought Jaguars keep them in the garage
to say they have a Jaguar but drive a Ford so they have a car that
won't break down every 5 minutes.

> 2001 Pontiac Aztek

Yeah. Sad. Fundamentally it wasn't that bad. Pontiac employees
supposedly got very good deals on them when the stocks built up.

> 2002 BMW 7-series

Wonder what was bad about this car? (Well, BMWs are overrated a bit
but that's neither here nor there I guess ;)

> 2003 Hummer H2

What was wrong with it? Was 2003 the height of the hysteria/backlash
against them or something? H2s are around a lot.

> 2004 Chevy SSR

Oh I agree, I was like "Who buys a truck like that?" There are people
who actually buy trucks and modify them all like that, I wonder if
they ever take their trucks within 5 miles of a dirt road or haul
anything in the back.

K Swynford

Sep 8, 2007, 12:11:10 PM9/8/07

On 8-Sep-2007, Rob Cypher <robcyph...@gmail.com> wrote:

1958 Ford Edsel was a damned good car; it was Mercury in Edsel clothing.
For some reason the public wouldn't take to it.

Like Nash. it was built like a tank, ran well, and comfortable; the public
wouldn't take to it, either. Of course, it did last over 50 years...

--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Joey Tribiani

Sep 8, 2007, 12:27:03 PM9/8/07

"David E. Powell" <David_Po...@msn.com> wrote in message

>> 1970 AMC Gremlin
>
> Waynes World Wayne's World.... ;) Yeah funny looking sucker the
> Gremlin, were any made in 1970?

the Gremlin was not the theme car.

Stephen

Sep 8, 2007, 12:28:28 PM9/8/07
On Sep 8, 10:57 am, Rob Cypher <robcypherena...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not sure what was worse the 180 hp 1980 vette or the 214 hp
1980 Ferrari Mondial 8 .... What a bad year for sports cars....

Just.some.guy

Sep 8, 2007, 1:04:17 PM9/8/07
Why isn't the Ford Pinto on the list? It was *built* with a design flaw.

"Stephen" <steadfast...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PieOhPah

Sep 8, 2007, 1:12:40 PM9/8/07
"Just.some.guy" <return...@address.not.valid> wrote in news:_zAEi.51566
$t9.3...@bignews7.bellsouth.net:

Obviouslt you're blind or just stupid.

Message has been deleted

Just.some.guy

Sep 8, 2007, 2:37:02 PM9/8/07

"PieOhPah" <drop...@myfeet.com> wrote in message

Oh, there it is. (chuckle) I *Obviouslt* a little of both. Now let me ask
you...why do you forge?

MAXdaAXEjd

Sep 8, 2007, 2:38:07 PM9/8/07
On Sep 8, 7:57 am, Rob Cypher <robcypherena...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> 1958 Lotus Elite-seems like an inconsequential throw in to the list

> 1958 MGA Twin Camive driven 1 of these before (buddy owned 1, u can get q decent 1 now for 12 grand, why the bad mouth i dunno, if it was like 70 grand maybe...

> 1958 Zunndapp Janus
> 1961 Amphicar- these lil piece of shits have gone through the roof value wise recently, dont get it...
> 1961 Corvairyea unsafe at any speed, we get it, u can get mid 60s corvairs that look ok for real cheap..
> 1966 Peel Trident
> 1970 AMC Gremlin-yea its funny looking so what...it is what it is

> 1970 Triumph Stag this is the v8 triumph they couldnt figure out what they wanted to doo with,,the v8 is tiny and anemic, the car looks like a cross between a gt6 and a corolla, ugly/expensive (truely deserves to be on the list)
> 1971 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron Two-Door Hardtop-big american gass guzzling convertible tons from that era why pick on this 1?
> 1971 Ford Pinto
> 1974 Jaguar XK-E V12 Series III-the v6 xkes of the generation past were arguably the nicest cars ever (cept for the electrical systems, and finickey problems) the 4.2 6 banger was great, the 12 cylinder sucked, and jags have sucked ever since..

> 1975 Bricklin SV1
> 1975 Morgan Plus 8 Propane

> 1975 Triumph TR7- trying to get away from the traditional lil 2 seater sportscar look, and failing miserable...
> 1975 Trabant
> 1976 Aston Martin Lagonda-big clunky ugly overpriced piece of crap
> 1976 Chevy Chevette-what do you want for what 2 grand back then? no civic
1978 AMC Pacer- see gremlin
> 1980 Corvette 305 "California"- the reason this car sucked was because it was detuned all through the 70s due to the opec oil embargo/higher gas prices, i believe this version was 155 horsepower, were an entry level vette 10 years ear;ier was 350 horsepower..
> 1980 Ferrari Mondial 8, word slow,

> 1981 Cadillac Fleetwood V-8-6-4
> 1981 De Lorean DMC-12

> 1982 Cadillac Cimarron..lol yea this 1 belongs on here cavalier with caddy badging
> 1982 Camaro Iron Duke
> 1984 Maserati Biturbo-idrove a few of thses (USED TO BE A VALET IN LATE 80S) PLASTICS GALORE HORRIBLE BUILD-

> 1985 Mosler Consulier GTP
> 1985 Yugo GV
> 1986 Lamborghini LM002
> 1995 Ford Explorer
> 1997 GM EV1
> 1997 Plymouth Prowler
> 1998 Fiat Multipla
> 2000 Ford Excursion
> 2001 Jaguar X-Type
> 2001 Pontiac Aztek
> 2002 BMW 7-series
> 2003 Hummer H2
> 2004 Chevy SSR
>
> any objections to this list? Speak now! Or forever hold your peace.

huge car enthusiast here, and very knowledgeable..

beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there is no right or wrong...
some gay dude might find our resident bear lord gow, the sexiest man
alive..

MAXdaAXEjd

Sep 8, 2007, 2:40:14 PM9/8/07
On Sep 8, 7:57 am, Rob Cypher <robcypherena...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1985 Yugo GV- like a lil plastic barbie car

> 1986 Lamborghini LM002
> 1995 Ford Explorer
> 1997 GM EV1
> 1997 Plymouth Prowler
> 1998 Fiat Multipla
> 2000 Ford Excursion
> 2001 Jaguar X-Type
> 2001 Pontiac Aztek
> 2002 BMW 7-series-just another throw in

> 2003 Hummer H2
> 2004 Chevy SSR
>
> any objections to this list? Speak now! Or forever hold your peace.
>
> robcypher.livejournal.com

continued here

George Mooth

Sep 8, 2007, 3:31:40 PM9/8/07

What is an '82 Camaro Iron Duke? I'm a Camaro fan and have
never heard of one.

Killfile Victim #847238

Sep 8, 2007, 3:44:10 PM9/8/07
On Sep 8, 11:27 am, "David E. Powell" <David_Powell3...@msn.com>
wrote:

> On Sep 8, 10:57 am, Rob Cypher <robcypherena...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 1899 Horsey Horseless
>
> Yeah, right.
>
> > 1909 Ford Model T
>
> Model T is more like one of the best ever, if not the best.
>
> > 1911 Overland OctoAuto
> > 1913 Scripps-Booth Bi-Autogo
> > 1920 Briggs and Stratton Flyer
> > 1933 Fuller Dymaxion
> > 1934 Chrysler/Desoto Airflow
> > 1949 Crosley Hotshot
> > 1956 Renault Dauphine
> > 1957 King Midget Model III
> > 1957 Waterman Aerobile
> > 1958 Ford Edsel
>
> As a flop yeah, as a car it wasn't too bad for the time, feature wise,
> it just didn't go over. (Think Pontiac Aztek)

George Will, oddly enough, wrote an op-ed piece with the Edsel as its
basis. Take a read, solely for the car info alone:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070906/OPINION/709060454/-1/LOCAL17

> > robcypher.livejournal.com- Hide quoted text -

Vandar

Sep 8, 2007, 3:53:13 PM9/8/07
George Mooth wrote:

It's a 2.5L Straight-4 engine.

Message has been deleted

chatnoir

Sep 8, 2007, 5:10:56 PM9/8/07
On Sep 8, 8:57 am, Rob Cypher <robcypherena...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1899 Horsey Horseless
> 1909 Ford Model T
> 1911 Overland OctoAuto
> 1913 Scripps-Booth Bi-Autogo
> 1920 Briggs and Stratton Flyer
> 1933 Fuller Dymaxion
> 1934 Chrysler/Desoto Airflow
> 1949 Crosley Hotshot
> 1956 Renault Dauphine
> 1957 King Midget Model III
> 1957 Waterman Aerobile
> 1958 Ford Edsel
> 1958 Lotus Elite
> 1958 MGA Twin Cam
> 1958 Zunndapp Janus
> 1961 Amphicar
> 1961 Corvair
> 1966 Peel Trident
> 1970 AMC Gremlin
> 1970 Triumph Stag
> 1971 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron Two-Door Hardtop
> 1971 Ford Pinto

1971 - Dodge Demon - I owned one!

John McCoy

Sep 8, 2007, 5:42:56 PM9/8/07
George Mooth <gmoo...@comcast.net> wrote in

> On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 07:57:52 -0700, Rob Cypher
> <robcyph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>1909 Ford Model T

>>1934 Chrysler/Desoto Airflow

>>any objections to this list? Speak now! Or forever hold your peace.

The Model T and the Airflow, obviously. Neither could, by any
set of criteria that constrains itself to the merits of the
car itself, be called "worst".

> What is an '82 Camaro Iron Duke? I'm a Camaro fan and have
> never heard of one.

Short-lived and brainless idea of offering the Camaro with a
vastly underpowered 4 cylinder engine borrowed from the
Pontiac Sunbird.

John

Joey Tribiani

Sep 8, 2007, 7:00:59 PM9/8/07

"comadrejo" <comad...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:comadrejo-t- >

> I would add the Hillman Minx to this list.. and the VW Bus Type 2,
> because the engine was a disaster.

the Type 2 had the same type 1 engine up until 72 when it was replaced with
the type 4 engine for the 72 model year(US spec vehicles). they type 1 was a
tad underpowered, but it nor the type 4 were a "disaster" by any stretch of
the imagination.

tonystewar...@yahoo.com

Sep 8, 2007, 7:23:04 PM9/8/07
On Sep 8, 11:27 am, "David E. Powell"

> > 1982 Cadillac Cimarron
>
> There's no such thing as a bad looking Caddy... even the chopped back
> Sevilles from the 80s are OK from most angles ;)

That POS was a Chevy Cavalier in disguise.

G_FL

Sep 8, 2007, 7:49:36 PM9/8/07

explorer wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
> "Rob Cypher" <robcyph...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> How about telling us why you think they suck? There are a couple on there
> that are highly sought after as collectibles.

It isn't "HIS" list, it is Time Magazines list, and although the Jag
XKE, and the 50s Lotus' are very expensive cars now, they were not up to
snuff in their day...the only one I would truly disagree with is the
Aston Martin Lagonda. It was a little funny looking, but it is a bad ass
car...Some of the cars on the top of the list I have never heard of, for
example I didn't know Briggs and Stratton ever tried building cars..

the Bede

Sep 8, 2007, 7:58:27 PM9/8/07

"chatnoir" <wolfb...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> On Sep 8, 8:57 am, Rob Cypher <robcypherena...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1899 Horsey Horseless
> > 1909 Ford Model T
> > 1911 Overland OctoAuto
> > 1913 Scripps-Booth Bi-Autogo
> > 1920 Briggs and Stratton Flyer
> > 1933 Fuller Dymaxion

list invalidated.

Gregory Morrow

Sep 9, 2007, 1:47:50 AM9/9/07
K Swynford wrote:

> On 8-Sep-2007, Rob Cypher <robcypherena...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1958 Ford Edsel was a damned good car; it was Mercury in Edsel clothing.
> For some reason the public wouldn't take to it.

The mid - level car market (Edsel, DeSoto, Buick, Mercury...) really
suffered because of the severe 1958 recession. And besides which, the
Edsel was the wrong car for the time, the public was tiring of
gimcrack styling, lousy operating economy, and lousy build quality.
Rambler had a record year, and that was the first year that imports
really started to take off. Studebaker's sales even rose that year,
largely because of the severely - stripped Scotsman model they rushed
to market (and this was a SERIOUS STRIPPER, e.g. interior panels made
of cardboard, painted instead of chromed trim, etc., very few options
or even color choices)...

I love cars from that era, but I have to tell ya, the Edsel is one
FUGLY car, there is nothing the least bit attractive about it...

It was hyped - up as the biggest advance since the horseless carriage,
when it finally debuted the public felt duped...

Sputnik was also a factor. People were thinking, "The Russians can
launch a satellite, but all we have are higher tailfains and more
gadgets on cars...and the EDSEL...???". Maybe we weren't the masters
of the world, after all...

> Like Nash. it was built like a tank, ran well, and comfortable; the public
> wouldn't take to it, either. Of course, it did last over 50 years...

Nash was a pretty innovative marque, especially in the late 30's -
early 40's. They pioneered the advanced "Weather Eye" heating and
ventilation system, and their 1941 model was nicely - styled, full -
size yet economical to operate...

During the war, they thought the public would go for the type of car
that was featured in advanced design studies as "your postwar dream
car". These featured bulbuous styling and severe streamlining. Thus
the infamous "bathtub" Nashes. Turns out the trimmer and sleeker 1949
GM models ate their lunch, those Nashes look elephantine next to the
GM line. Packard made the same mistake, too, with their "pregnant
elephant" new 1948 line. A big boo - boo, they were history by ten
years later...

Nashes were fine cars, built to last, and very comfortable...but they
couldn't keep up, they had to use that old bathtub body when everyone
else had dropped that 40's streamlined style years ago.

Also, basically what drove the independents (Hudson, Nash, Kaiser,
Studebaker, Packard) into the graveyard was that they didn't have the
economy of scale that the big three had. When models started to
change fairly drastically every coupla years or so, the independents
didn't have the money for innovations like new lightweight V - 8's,
automatic transmissions, or even wrap - around windshields. Some of
these makers also relied on the big three for engines, trannies,
etc....and the Korean War put a damper on parts and so auto
production. This was fatal...

It's a shame. C. 1952 you could get a snazzy Olds 88 hardtop coupe
with a Rocket V-8, automatic tranny, and deluxe trim for less than
what a plain - jane 6 - cylinder Kaiser (in fact you couldn't GET the
Kaiser with a V - 8 at all) sedan cost. The public chose the Olds...

As one Kaiser exec of the time said, "If we could slap a Buick
nameplate on the Kaiser it'd sell like hotcakes...but we can't".
Kaisers were fine cars, beautifully styled, with modern and colorful
interiors. They just couldn't get the money for new innovations, nor
could they get below a certain price point. The majors had the money
for that stuff...

--
Best
Greg

Seven

Sep 9, 2007, 1:47:55 AM9/9/07
wrote:

> On Sep 8, 10:57 am, Rob Cypher <robcypherena...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1971 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron Two-Door Hardtop
> I thought only Buick made a LaBaron? Hm.

You're thinking LeSabre, built from 1959-2005. LeBarons were built by
Chrysler from about 1977-1995. I owned an '85 coupe and an '88
convertible. Great cars, I'd love to find another one in decent shape.

> > 1975 Triumph TR7

My dad actually has a few of these. I drove one around the block. It
wasn't too bad, actually. A tad claustrophobic for some reason, with a
pretty low roofline.

> > 1976 Chevy Chevette

> Maybe '76 was a bad year, I have seen Chevettes that lasted so long
> you wouldn't _believe._ Chevette actually makes my best car list for
> that reason. Rugged, cheap, lasted like mad.

Seconded. My '85 Lebaron was the same way. Dirt cheap, and took more
abuse than I care to admit right now. I got my money's worth, believe
me!

> > 1982 Cadillac Cimarron
>
> There's no such thing as a bad looking Caddy... even the chopped back
> Sevilles from the 80s are OK from most angles ;)

Disagree. Not about the Sevilles, about this rebadged Cavalier. Just
awful.

> > 1986 Lamborghini LM002
>
> A bad Lambo? Zuh?

Did you *see* it? The unholy offspring of a Countach and a Humvee.
Probably mechanically sound, but it looks like butt.

> > robcypher.livejournal.com

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/completelist/0,,1658545,00.html

That's the original article he "borrowed" from. Pictures and writeups
are included.

David E. Powell

Sep 9, 2007, 12:20:38 PM9/9/07

180 hp Vette? 8O

ayek...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2007, 12:57:33 PM9/9/07

ayek...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2007, 12:57:54 PM9/9/07

Stephen

Sep 9, 2007, 1:04:27 PM9/9/07
On Sep 9, 12:20 pm, "David E. Powell" <David_Powell3...@msn.com>
wrote:
> 180 hp Vette? 8O- Hide quoted text -

Yup it was that Shit box 305 but I think the lowest HP for a vette
was the the base L48 engine in 1975 that put out a measly 165 hp ...
IN those years everyone was scrabling for used 69 ZL1 427's or
the LT-1 small-blocks

Fred G. Mackey

Sep 9, 2007, 11:21:13 PM9/9/07
David E. Powell wrote:
> On Sep 8, 10:57 am, Rob Cypher <robcypherena...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>1981 Cadillac Fleetwood V-8-6-4
>

> Oh the variable cylinders engine - An idea that has come back now, but
> then was hard because they didn't have as good a technology to do it.
> Also a reason early GM Diesel attempts had problems, the tech to make
> it burn clean and efficient wasn't as good. Pretty car though.

My parents had one of those. There was nothing wrong with it, although
I never saw it use 6 cylinders. It was either 4 or 8. No big deal. It
was also the first trip computer I ever saw that calculated "instant"
MPG (probably because it was one of the first, if not the first).

Jose

Sep 10, 2007, 10:04:57 AM9/10/07
On Sep 9, 1:47 am, Seven <seven...@chek.com> wrote:
> On Sep 8, 11:27 am, "David E. Powell" <David_Powell3...@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sep 8, 10:57 am, Rob Cypher <robcypherena...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > 1971 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron Two-Door Hardtop
> > I thought only Buick made a LaBaron? Hm.
>
> You're thinking LeSabre, built from 1959-2005. LeBarons were built by
> Chrysler from about 1977-1995. I owned an '85 coupe and an '88
> convertible. Great cars, I'd love to find another one in decent shape.
>
> > > 1975 Triumph TR7
>
> My dad actually has a few of these. I drove one around the block. It
> wasn't too bad, actually. A tad claustrophobic for some reason, with a
> pretty low roofline.
>
> > > 1976 Chevy Chevette
> > Maybe '76 was a bad year, I have seen Chevettes that lasted so long
> > you wouldn't _believe._ Chevette actually makes my best car list for
> > that reason. Rugged, cheap, lasted like mad.

most I have seen did as well

They list the chevy chevette but not the vega
now that auto was one pos vehicle!

Nancy2

Sep 10, 2007, 11:13:39 AM9/10/07
On Sep 8, 9:57 am, Rob Cypher <robcypherena...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1899 Horsey Horseless
> 1909 Ford Model T
> 1911 Overland OctoAuto
> 1913 Scripps-Booth Bi-Autogo
> 1920 Briggs and Stratton Flyer
> 1933 Fuller Dymaxion
> 1934 Chrysler/Desoto Airflow
> 1949 Crosley Hotshot
> 1956 Renault Dauphine
> 1957 King Midget Model III
> 1957 Waterman Aerobile
> 1958 Ford Edsel
> 1958 Lotus Elite
> 1958 MGA Twin Cam
> 1958 Zunndapp Janus
> 1961 Amphicar
> 1961 Corvair
> 1966 Peel Trident
> 1970 AMC Gremlin
> 1970 Triumph Stag
> 1971 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron Two-Door Hardtop

I'm really disappointed that my '81 Horizon and my '76 Granada
("There's something WRONG with this car!") didn't make the list. Not
only were they two of the worst cars ever made, they were so bad, they
didn't even make the list. Failures, all around.

The descriptions of these 50 follies can't be beat. Go to the
time.com website and see the photos and read the descriptions (by a
Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist). It had me falling off my chair,
laughing.

N.

tonystewar...@yahoo.com

Sep 10, 2007, 1:00:43 PM9/10/07
On Sep 10, 10:04 am, Jose <jose...@ziplip.com> wrote:

> They list the chevy chevette but not the vega
> now that auto was one pos vehicle!

Only if you ran it hot and warped the aluminum head. I had a '75 GT
and never had one single problem with it.

And I know it's no big deal now for a 4 banger, but that car would top
out at 120MPH.

Will

Sep 10, 2007, 1:09:29 PM9/10/07

<tonystewar...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

But the Vega's body seemed like it was made from compressed rust.

tonystewar...@yahoo.com

Sep 10, 2007, 1:28:10 PM9/10/07
On Sep 10, 1:09 pm, "Will" <w...@will.not> wrote:
> <tonystewart02_05ch...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Yes, it did develop some rust around the bottom of the windshield
later on, but it seems like all GM cars had that problem in the
windshield/backglass area for yrs.

Don't know what yr they finally resolved that issue.

Gregory Morrow

Sep 10, 2007, 6:11:07 PM9/10/07
Will wrote:

> <tonystewart02_05ch...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Didn't prevent it from being IIRC a _Motor Trend_ "Car of the Year"
around that time...

;-)))

--
Best
Greg

Jim Heckel

Sep 28, 2007, 12:42:37 AM9/28/07
On Sep 8, 10:57 am, Rob Cypher <robcypherena...@gmail.com> wrote:

> any objections to this list? Speak now! Or forever hold your peace.
>
> robcypher.livejournal.com

No objections - but I'd like to add two:

My dad's 1972 Buick Electra 225 - big, f'ugly car, looks like arse,
guzzled gas like an alcoholic at a distillery, and was generally crap.

My mom's 1997 Mazda Protege - teeny, weak motor, pathetic.

Nancy2

Sep 28, 2007, 11:08:37 AM9/28/07
> any objections to this list? Speak now! Or forever hold your peace.
>
> robcypher.livejournal.com

You should give credit to Time magazine where this list originated,
which I posted when it first came out.

Yeah, my objection is that they didn't include the '76 Granada or my
'81 Horizon. LOL.

N.