Nascar Racing on TV in the 80s--SETN

Don Smith

Dec 18, 2000, 11:51:40 PM12/18/00
What ever became of SETN; and what did it stand for?
Also...are the tapes still around for it?

(found out about it thru viewing a pack of 1988 Maxx Race Cards [it had
the schedule on it], and also a tape called "Stock Car Crashes"...with
footage from SETN..

Races were mainly at Martinsville and Pocono...other tracks were
Rockingham, Charlotte, a little Daytona, and Richmond(the fairgrounds)

Any help would be much appreciated!

DS
--------
Visit my guide to NASCAR Fan Clubs
http://www.geocities.com/nscrfn888

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Two00mph

Dec 19, 2000, 12:41:50 AM12/19/00
SETN was "Special Events Television Network", headed by Jim Wigglesworth out of
Greensboro, NC. They taped and syndicated delayed coverage of tracks that did
not have live TV deals. Some promoters at that time still believed that live
TV would hurt their gate, and instead chose to have delayed coverage. The
company was underfunded, and since profits were slim, so were rights fees. The
growing popularity of racing on ESPN, etc., and a lack of cash flow drove them
out of the business.
I have most of the shows on tape, but I do not know where they might be
commercially available.
Wigglesworth is now in the real estate biz. His daughter Kelly achieved some
notoriety as a contestant on the CBS show "Survivor".

UP...@bellsouth.net

Dec 19, 2000, 7:15:18 AM12/19/00

"Well-known motorsports broadcaster TwoOOmph reported a burglary at his
house late Sunday evening.Local police were mystified that
cash,jewelry,electronic equipment and other valuables in plain sight
were bypassed by the robbers in favor of old racing videos." LOL

bobb

Dec 19, 2000, 9:52:23 AM12/19/00

that are now on ebay...

Sean McDonald

Dec 19, 2000, 11:48:31 PM12/19/00

I'm looking at my tape of the '88 PPV event right now....

The mikes are badged with the Viewer's Choice logo...

The booth announcers are Mike Joy and Ron Bouchard....

Pit Road announcers are Pat Patterson and Bob Heiss (sp?)...

The graphics look like the old SETN ones, but nothing in the
pre-race to say so conclusively...will check the end next.

Although it is not identified as an SETN production, Wiglesworth's
name is listed as Executive Producer in the end credits so it probably
was.

Laurie

Dec 20, 2000, 5:01:49 AM12/20/00
ron Bouchard?
mod racing!!
Olden days!!!!!!!!! "-)

laurie

"Sean McDonald" <Seanf...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Two00mph

Dec 21, 2000, 12:42:57 AM12/21/00
The Pocono PPV shows were produced by Jim Wigglesworth for Viewers Choice after
SETN folded up. They were not a huge success, as fans were reluctant to pay
for what they could see last or next week for free. I anchored one or two and
Dave Despain did the final one. They were noteworthy in that we premiered
viewer phone-in questions during the race, an idea I later brought to TNN.
Benny, Dick Berggren and I did most of the SETN shows. I left when they got
way behind in their finances. To his credit, Jim finally did pay everything I
was owed, though it took several years.