If You Aren't On the Edge..."

Ralph Derickson

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
I've seen several posts since the Twin Rings race regarding
quotes, but nobody's picked up yet on the Bennie Parson's
quote: "If you ain't driving on the edge, you're taking up too
much space. (not sure that's precisely it, but close." I liked
that. Bet it ends up in somebody's sig. Did he say that for
the first time in Japan or has he used it before?

Kentucky (Kinda the racin' version of "Hangin' 10," right Aloha? :)
Ralph

Mopar57106

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98
Kentucky Ralph wrote:
> but nobody's picked up yet on the Bennie Parson's
>quote: "If you ain't driving on the edge, you're taking up too
>much space.

I don't think that was Benny, that was Buddy...difference being is that Benny
is pleasant to listen to while Buddy makes me want to puncture my eardrums to
spare myself the torture of hearing him talk for 3 hours.

Second place is the first loser.

Ralph Derickson

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98

Mopar57106 wrote:

Whoops. Sorry, 'bout that. I like it anyway.

Kentucky (And Benny probably won't mind the mention. : ) Ralph

Karen Hammond

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/23/98

Ralph Derickson wrote:

> I've seen several posts since the Twin Rings race regarding

> quotes, but nobody's picked up yet on the Bennie Parson's

> quote: "If you ain't driving on the edge, you're taking up too

> much space. (not sure that's precisely it, but close." I liked
> that. Bet it ends up in somebody's sig. Did he say that for
> the first time in Japan or has he used it before?
>
> Kentucky (Kinda the racin' version of "Hangin' 10," right Aloha? :)
> Ralph

He's probably seen the original phrase 'If you aren't living on the
edge, you're taking up too much space." at the No Fear trailors so often
he may not even realize where it came from. I know my teenaged son has
had that one (among others) for at least 3 years.

Karen H.
--
A pocketknife is like a melody;
Sharp in some places, flat in others...

dusty

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
i saw that saying on a t-shirt in the garage area in atlanta
i would imagine he got it there.........on the edge benny aint

Pete DiMarco

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
Karen Hammond <kham...@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>Karen H.
>--
>A pocketknife is like a melody;
> Sharp in some places, flat in others...
>and really annoying when it gets stuck
> in your head.

Hey Karen .... Nice to see ya again ....

What happen to your "Jesus" sig?
It was the best one I ever saw ....

Welcome back .....

Pete

Ralph Derickson

Nov 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/25/98

dusty wrote:

> i saw that saying on a t-shirt in the garage area in atlanta
> i would imagine he got it there.........on the edge benny aint

Well, now we don't really know that, do we? But he's certainly
been to the edge and back. Just check out some of those old
race tapes when he comes crawling out of a beat-up stocker
after 500 fender-banging miles with some of the greatest drivers
we've ever seen.

Kentucky (Guess enough of that can "take the edge off" ya. :) Ralph

flamingoland

Nov 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/26/98
Ralph Derickson <ral...@pop.uky.edu> wrote in article
<3659D761...@pop.uky.edu>...

> quote: "If you ain't driving on the edge, you're taking up too
> much space. (not sure that's precisely it, but close."

i've seen something similar, like we sell you the entire
seat, but you'll only need the edge....
it's been on a t-shirt sold at loudon a couple of
years ago....

--
flamingo
http://www.dubowitz.org

drei...@vms1.gmu.edu

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98

One other variation is, "We'll sell you the whole seat so you can
STAND ON IT!"

Chris Watkins

Nov 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/27/98

If I owned these places, I swear, I'd have trained snipers with bb guns
at strategic locations around the track, to pop people in the head who are
rude enough to stand. It never fails, I can see just fine, everyone can
see just fine, then some idiot thinks he's gonna get a better view by
standing up, and the whole place has to follow suit just to see at ALL,
and not nearly as well as when everyone was sitting down.
BUY A BETTER SEAT if you don't like the one you're in !!!

I had to leave the last race I went to, because of this... there
was no seeing the race for me, that's for sure.

Ok... I don't know where all that came from, but it felt good to get it
off my chest, anyways <G>

--
Chris Watkins
C_Watkins on TEN (Team Bowtie Racing)

Juan Dho

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
Mopar57106 wrote:

> Kentucky Ralph wrote:
> > but nobody's picked up yet on the Bennie Parson's
> >quote: "If you ain't driving on the edge, you're taking up too
> >much space.
>
> I don't think that was Benny, that was Buddy...difference being is that Benny
> is pleasant to listen to while Buddy makes me want to puncture my eardrums to
> spare myself the torture of hearing him talk for 3 hours.

> Second place is the first loser.
Break your fingers while you're puncturing your ear drums asshole :-)

flamingoland

Nov 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/29/98
sometimes it pays to have the cheap seats <yup
frontrow, nobody in my way>

--
flamingo
http://www.dubowitz.org