Really realistic demo - have to try this

Karsten Borchers

Aug 18, 2002, 9:45:54 AM8/18/02
It's not Racing Legends, but this little demo sure will kill the waiting
time. "Live for Speed" is its name.
Great physics, and online play. 2 tracks (road and rallycross), and 3 cars.

Found on the West Racing forum :
http://www.west-racing.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=958&s=1a28645b9085c
b6e7a9a4cc26bebda8b

/ Karsten Borchers

Silvia Twain

Aug 18, 2002, 10:13:53 AM8/18/02
Hey thanx !

Where the h*ll did this one came from ?!?

Greetz,

Sylvia

Karsten Borchers <karsten@*spam*borchers.dk> schreef in berichtnieuws
3d5fa508$0$88390$edfa...@dspool01.news.tele.dk...

Andre Warringa

Aug 18, 2002, 10:35:56 AM8/18/02

Holy crap, this is great!! Any more info about this? Is it a pet
project like Ruud's Racer, or is this a demo of a to-be-released sim?
Anyway, this demo is a must-download!

Andre

Tim Epstein

Aug 18, 2002, 10:30:34 AM8/18/02
Shock hey! No vapourware, just bang, the first thing you know about it is a
playable game!

Now that's what I call "walking the walk", not just "talking the talk"
http://www.scawen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Tim

"Silvia Twain" <Sylvia...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

Ed White

Aug 18, 2002, 11:42:26 AM8/18/02
Well, I downloaded and installed Live For Speed, looks pretty cool, except
that I can't get it to work with my MOMO, no buttons appear on the axis
assignment screen for accelerate/brake, all other functions appear to work
well enough....I can start a race and slowly roll down the hill towards the
first turn, and turn in, but not much more from there :o( Sure seems like
a fun time, any ideas?
Ed
"Andre Warringa" <a.warrin...@chello.nl> wrote in message

Andrew MacPherson

Aug 18, 2002, 11:54:00 AM8/18/02
In article <ecO79.3238$Jb4.59476@newsfep2-gui>, ep...@N0ospam.pobox.com
(Tim Epstein) wrote:

> Now that's what I call "walking the walk", not just "talking the talk"
> http://www.scawen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

WHS, I've only had enough time to get in a couple of laps before I
disappear into work, but my first reaction is very favourable indeed.

Andrew McP

Tim Epstein

Aug 18, 2002, 12:10:07 PM8/18/02
The momo works fine if you disable split axis in control panel.

The authors will implement spilt axis in a later build.

"Ed White" <ewh...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Ashley McConnell

Aug 18, 2002, 12:40:22 PM8/18/02
Super little game and plays great online with very little lag at all :D

Ash
http://www.siroccoracing.com

Andre Warringa

Aug 18, 2002, 12:52:22 PM8/18/02
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 17:10:07 +0100, "Tim Epstein"
<ep...@N0ospam.pobox.com> wrote:

>The momo works fine if you disable split axis in control panel.
>
>The authors will implement spilt axis in a later build.

Yup, and I read somewhere that someone had to unplug all his other
gaming devices to get the momo recognized in LFS.

Andre

Karsten Borchers

Aug 18, 2002, 12:57:22 PM8/18/02
Combined Axis is the way.
You cant map any axis to accel/brak. They are default.

/ Borchers

Silvia Twain

Aug 18, 2002, 2:48:35 PM8/18/02
How do you know , Do you know the authors ?!

(they are superb, btw)

Tim Epstein <ep...@N0ospam.pobox.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
AFP79.510$un6....@newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net...

Tim Epstein

Aug 18, 2002, 3:25:53 PM8/18/02
No, the reference to a later implementation of splist axis was an assumption
based on an a deduction, based on an implication.

On the support page of the web site, having to set a controller to single
axis is listed under "Known Problems". Being a known problem implies that
there will be a resolution to that problem in future.

"Silvia Twain" <Sylvia...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kevin Webb

Aug 18, 2002, 3:59:48 PM8/18/02
For those that have a TSW or TSW2, you can use the Thrusmaster Formula T1/T2
with adapter driver to make it work with the game. Driver is in XP. Not
sure about other OS's.

"Karsten Borchers" <karsten@*spam*borchers.dk> wrote in message

ymenard

Aug 18, 2002, 6:40:18 PM8/18/02
>"Karsten Borchers" <karsten@*spam*borchers.dk> wrote

> Found on the West Racing forum :

How ironic.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- http://www.ymenard.8m.com/

Morris Jones

Aug 18, 2002, 8:40:19 PM8/18/02
I can not get the Momo wheel to work either, and and too get about 3fps.

P4 2.53
Ti4600
1gig PC800
120gig HD
Santa Cruze
Win XP

George Sandman

Aug 18, 2002, 8:55:50 PM8/18/02
Anyone having no sound when in multi? sounds works in Single player.

I am not able to change to combined axis but it does splits gas and brake on
the
throttle. Half way down to full swing is gas. Let off more than half way
for brake :-O

George

Morris Jones <mjon...@charter.net> wrote in message

Jan Verschueren

Aug 18, 2002, 9:03:36 PM8/18/02
"Tim Epstein" wrote...

> No, the reference to a later implementation of splist axis was
> an assumption based on an a deduction, based on an implication.
>
> On the support page of the web site, having to set a controller
> to single axis is listed under "Known Problems". Being a known
> problem implies that there will be a resolution to that problem
> in future.

Tim, sorry if this sounds daft, but where did you find the support page? All
I see is the front page with the 3 screenshots and the download link. The
only other link on the download page is an e-mail link for support.

Perhaps the link on the West Racing Forum lifts the front page out of it's
frameset? Do you have a link which features more choices?

Thanks.

Jan.
=---

Dino

Aug 18, 2002, 9:59:17 PM8/18/02
I got spit axis to work changing the Dual Axis value in cfg.txt from 0 to 1,
I have the red LWFF. My problem is no steering forces, I've tried changing
values in the cfg but no luck yet. Running 4.20 beta driver in Win XP.

DN

"George Sandman" <gsandma...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

Steve Blankenship

Aug 18, 2002, 10:36:13 PM8/18/02
Interesting; I tried that with my trusty old LWF and got zippo pedal action.
Works ok in combined mode, though. LFS did screw up the engine sound in
NR2002 though; had to reboot to get it back. Weird, as the other NR2002
sounds worked, just not the engine. It also wouldn't let my computer go
into suspend mode after leaving it idle, saying a device driver was in use
that would not allow it. Ahaaa.... Bit of bug-fixing for them to do still,
I'd say.

Nice little surprise, still.

SB
"Dino" <dno...@hotmaildot.com> wrote in message

B.Farmer

Aug 18, 2002, 11:17:00 PM8/18/02

Jan Verschueren <jan.NO_SPAM...@pandora.be> wrote in message

Jan, try here:

http://www.scawen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ or here:

http://vic.planet-d.net/lfsdemo/bugs.htm

-Brian

Willem

Aug 19, 2002, 8:13:39 AM8/19/02
Is it me or is this the first sim i'm driving that actually compares
very favorbably to real life.
GPL...luuuve it but far too slippery, and i mean in comparison to real
life it's probably too slippery...not just my taste here.
N2002..luuuve it too...but still...somehow it doesn't feel completely
convincing..apart from drafting weirdness and other know quirks.
This demo thingie...oversteer..understeer..it all feels rather
excellent..predictable...
Apart from the real life seat of the pants feeling which is impossible
in any sim anyways this does feel a *lot* like the car i drive in real
life...just a tad too static maybe..but freaking close..
And apart from the physics...the cars actually look like they're on
the road...instead of floating above it..
Great graphics engine...
sheeesshh...awesome really..

Willem

Ruud van Gaal

Aug 19, 2002, 9:27:02 AM8/19/02
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:35:56 +0200, Andre Warringa
<a.warrin...@chello.nl> wrote:

Oh God, must go faster! ;-)

Seems like they want to publish it later on, from what I've read on
the site. Still, you wonder how many of these projects are around...
Will try it later...

Ruud van Gaal
Free car sim: http://www.racer.nl/
Pencil art : http://www.marketgraph.nl/gallery/

Jan Verschueren

Aug 19, 2002, 10:40:58 AM8/19/02
"Ruud van Gaal" wrote...
> <snip>

> Oh God, must go faster! ;-)

No rush Ruud. No indication of how long those guys took to produce this,
plus rumour has it these are professional game coders. No need to pressure
yourself in comparison.

> Seems like they want to publish it later on, from what
> I've read on the site. Still, you wonder how many of
> these projects are around... Will try it later.

Don't know... but it was bound to happen. If mainstream software houses and
publishers don't give people what they want some of them will take matters
in their own hands. Like you have.

Jan.
=---

Jan Verschueren

Aug 19, 2002, 10:40:59 AM8/19/02
"Willem" wrote...

> Is it me or is this the first sim i'm driving that actually
> compares very favorbably to real life.
> GPL...luuuve it but far too slippery, and i mean in
> comparison to real life it's probably too slippery...not
> just my taste here.
> N2002..luuuve it too...but still...somehow it doesn't feel
> completely convincing..apart from drafting weirdness and
> other know quirks. This demo thingie...oversteer..
> understeer..it all feels rather excellent..predictable...
> Apart from the real life seat of the pants feeling which
> is impossible in any sim anyways this does feel a *lot* like
> the car i drive in real life...just a tad too static maybe..
> but freaking close.. And apart from the physics...the cars
> actually look like they're on the road...instead of floating
> above it.. Great graphics engine... sheeesshh...awesome really

Not just you. This is good, IMO, very good.

Should it grow to encompass many roadgoing cars, some "real life" circuits
(and allow for 3rd party creation of such) and "more than 8" multiplayers we
have got a GPL beater on our hands. All it needs is split axis support and a
bit of code optimalisation (then again... I got it maxed out in 1024x768,
maybe I should drop some detail instead <g>) and we're set, basically.

Jan.
=---

Willem

Aug 19, 2002, 11:30:27 AM8/19/02
Ay...more than 8 would be nice.
But i have to say that the multi races i've done sofar..with 6 in one
game are super steady..no warp..no lag..no very violent collisions due
to lag...you can actually bump into someone gently without the fear of
causing the 'collision explosion' ala GPL and N2002, which is a big
releave...drives much more relaxed.
Had a few great side by side races sofar...gently bumping each other
but it all went peachy...
The split axis as you say has to be implemented..and it would indeed
be great to have some real life circuits and 3rd party openness...
But apart from that ( no clue as to how they see the product
themselves...half finished...allmost finished...and if they are
planning to improve the physics even more gggg )..i already think this
is a total GPL killer...nothing on my HD comes close to this...
and i fear from now on i will not play anything else:)))
Sheeesshh...out of the blue it comes..it sees..it strikes...it rules..
This is better than sex....
The king is dead..long live the king...
finally...

Jan Verschueren

Aug 19, 2002, 11:45:22 AM8/19/02
"Willem" wrote...
> <snip>

> Sheeesshh...out of the blue it comes..it sees..it strikes...
> it rules..
> This is better than sex....
> The king is dead..long live the king...
> finally...

Aye... let's not forget to point out superb AI. Apart from a few spots where
they'll run you off the road regardless, it's very impressive IMO.

Jan.
=---

Ruud van Gaal

Aug 19, 2002, 1:21:35 PM8/19/02
On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:40:58 GMT, "Jan Verschueren"
<jan.NO_SPAM...@pandora.be> wrote:

>"Ruud van Gaal" wrote...
>> <snip>
>> Oh God, must go faster! ;-)
>
>No rush Ruud. No indication of how long those guys took to produce this,
>plus rumour has it these are professional game coders. No need to pressure
>yourself in comparison.

Thanks Jan. :)
Well, in any case I've got a crossplatform game. Works nicely on my
Mac by now (sound+wheel working, fullscreen coming up). And anyway,
it's getting better all the time, which is fun in itself.
And indeed, they're doing it professionally. Don't know whether they
split from that Black & White studio to do this fulltime, but it sure
looks like it.

>> Seems like they want to publish it later on, from what
>> I've read on the site. Still, you wonder how many of
>> these projects are around... Will try it later.
>
>Don't know... but it was bound to happen. If mainstream software houses and
>publishers don't give people what they want some of them will take matters
>in their own hands. Like you have.

It's that money thing; where can you get the most money. Although I
love the Papyrus engine, I never really played any of the Nascar games
for more than a day; I just don't like Nascar that much. :)

Cheers,

Tsunami

Aug 19, 2002, 1:34:33 PM8/19/02
Once upon a time Andre Warringa <a.warrin...@chello.nl> scribed
carefully:

>:On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:45:54 +0200, "Karsten Borchers"

Looks like I am going to have to take your word for it, as this was
totally unplayable on my system. I get about 1FPS not only in game but
also in the menus (this is not the first time I have had this happen
tho, E-racer was the same).
I hope this works better for me when it comes out, it looks V pretty.

Tsunami

Andrew MacPherson

Aug 19, 2002, 4:29:00 PM8/19/02
In article <%r789.73337$8o4....@afrodite.telenet-ops.be>,
jan.NO_SPAM...@pandora.be (Jan Verschueren) wrote:

> some "real life" circuits

If they can save themselves a few licensing headaches (I've always thought
track and brand owners should pay sim makers for the publicity, not the
other way round!) then I'll drive fictional tracks forever. Tarmac's just
tarmac, I don't really care what shape it comes in as long as the
simulation feels right.. and this does :o)

Andrew McP

PS Nice to be able to get genuinely surprised and excited over a sim for
the first time in... faaaaaaaar too long.

Uwe Schuerkamp

Aug 20, 2002, 9:02:20 AM8/20/02
On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:21:35 GMT, Ruud van Gaal <ru...@marketgraph.nl> wrote:

> Well, in any case I've got a crossplatform game. Works nicely on my
> Mac by now (sound+wheel working, fullscreen coming up). And anyway,

I fully agree. The cross-platform support is what makes racer
great IMO: the source is there for everyone to tweak at, peak
at and play with.

With fullscreen opengl on the MAC coming, how difficult would
it be to port that functionality over to linux?

cheers,

uwe

--
mail replies to Uwe at schuerkamp dot de ( yahoo address is spambox)
Uwe Schuerkamp //////////////////////////// http://www.schuerkamp.de/

Larry

Aug 20, 2002, 4:17:22 PM8/20/02
MSFFW works fine with no adjustments other than a profile to set it for
combined axis.

-Larry

Larry

Aug 20, 2002, 4:17:58 PM8/20/02
I saw that too. Glad to hear that works.

-Larry

Ruud van Gaal

Aug 21, 2002, 5:22:06 AM8/21/02
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:17:22 GMT, "Larry" <no...@none.com> wrote:

>MSFFW works fine with no adjustments other than a profile to set it for
>combined axis.

How do I do that on Win2K?

Ruud van Gaal

Aug 21, 2002, 5:26:52 AM8/21/02
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:02:20 +0200, Uwe Schuerkamp
<hoo...@hoover.dyndns.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:21:35 GMT, Ruud van Gaal <ru...@marketgraph.nl> wrote:
>
>> Well, in any case I've got a crossplatform game. Works nicely on my
>> Mac by now (sound+wheel working, fullscreen coming up). And anyway,
>
>I fully agree. The cross-platform support is what makes racer
>great IMO: the source is there for everyone to tweak at, peak
>at and play with.

I may limit source-code viewing though in future versions (even with a
CVS server available). Just half a plan is to release 0.5.0 under GPL,
then close down the source except for people to create special
versions, like you do with DRI, and for people interested in browsing
the source with a non-commercial interest.
That doesn't mean that the Racer exes won't be free, to be ahead of
the reasoning in most people's heads. :) That's the power behind the
community, I think.

>With fullscreen opengl on the MAC coming, how difficult would
>it be to port that functionality over to linux?

It's totally different. ;-)
On the Mac, you can set an AGL (or CGL) flag: AGL_SET_FULLSCREEN or
something. That's mostly it (well, except for dimensions and
frequency). The Linux route was quite a bit more intricate (depending
on some X11 extension, XF86<something>).

If anybody has some clearcut fullscreen example on Linux, then step
forward. ;-)

I hope also that Linux resets the resolution in case the app crashes;
Mac and Windows(2000) do this, but I'm not sure about Linux.

Olav Malmin

Aug 21, 2002, 6:11:24 AM8/21/02
ru...@marketgraph.nl (Ruud van Gaal) writes:

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:17:22 GMT, "Larry" <no...@none.com> wrote:
>
> >MSFFW works fine with no adjustments other than a profile to set it for
> >combined axis.
>
> How do I do that on Win2K?

Depends. If you have the serial version you are out of luck. Stupid
microsoft who can't even support their own hardware.

--
Olav Malmin
remove .spam when replying

Ruud van Gaal

Aug 21, 2002, 7:41:32 AM8/21/02
On 21 Aug 2002 12:11:24 +0200, Olav Malmin
<olav_k...@hotmail.spam.com> wrote:

>ru...@marketgraph.nl (Ruud van Gaal) writes:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:17:22 GMT, "Larry" <no...@none.com> wrote:
>>
>> >MSFFW works fine with no adjustments other than a profile to set it for
>> >combined axis.
>>
>> How do I do that on Win2K?
>
>Depends. If you have the serial version you are out of luck. Stupid
>microsoft who can't even support their own hardware.

I have ye olde gameport edition. Any luck there?