TOP 10 BEST Engines of all time. GM V-6????

krp

Oct 6, 2008, 9:45:14 AM10/6/08
Let's first sort out one fact. When we say BEST ENGINES of the 20th
Century - we are pretty well speaking of the entirety automotive history in
a practical sense. While there were cars in the 1890's one could not hardly
suggest those primitive engines were among the best. Likewise we are at the
beginning of the 21st century - the engines today pretty much are carryovers
from the 20th century. THAT being understood - let's move to the REAL ISSUE
here.

The REAL issue is whether the GM 3.8 liter V-6 is THE BEST engine ever
built - OR in the alternative one of the TOP TEN ever built.The claim has
been sourced to WARD'S automotive digest. (Not REAL authoritative itself).
But rather than degrade this into a debate over the credibility of WARDS ..
let's confine this to the CLAIM that the GM V- is either the VERY BEST
automotive engine EVER or just one of the top 10.

Let's start with looking at how we determine the question. Do we base it
on sheer numbers? Do we base it on reliability? Do we base it on engineering
achievements? Maybe all 3?

Okay let's look at at least a PARTIAL list of the contenders.

The Ford Flathead V-8
The Small block Chevrolet V-8.
The Chrysler Hemi.
The Hudson Twin H inline 6
The Nash 7 main bearing in line 6.
The Studebaker 6
The Studebaker V-8
The Packard in line 6
The Packard in line 8
The Packard V-8
The Duesenberg in line 8
The Duesnberg V-16
The Cord V-8
The Pierce Arrow V-8
The Pierce Arrow V-12
The Tucker Engine opposed 6
The Chrysler slant 6
AMC V-8
The Continental red seal in line 6 (Used on Graham Paige cars, Kaiser,
Frazer, and most Checker Cabs to the 1960's)
The Willys Jeep 4 cylinder
The Cord V-8

I would dare to argue that ALL of the above were better engines that the GM
3.8 Liter V-6.

But what then of the foreign cars?

Mercedes Benz?
Lamborghini?
Ferrari?
Porsche?
Maseratti?
Bughatti?
Rolls Royce?
Bentley?
Hispano Suisa?
Aston Martin?
Austin?
MG?
Jaguar?
Volvo?
Saab?

All of whom have had more than one GREAT engine. And for the sake of peace
in the valley I will omit ALL Asian cars since some here fell they ALL are
SHIT!

Does this mean I am saying that the 3.8 is the worst engine ever? Nope -
what it DOES mean is that the 3.8 is NOWHERE NEAR the top 10 BEST engines
even in America. It is nowhere near the class of the small block GM V-8!
It's just not an AWFUL engine. But it also ain't in any REALISTIC TOP 10
BEST.