TULZ - Part Three

Veeduber

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
TULZ – Part Three

What do you want to do with your Volkswagen? Fix it up? (whatever that
means..) Paint it? Build a new engine?

Go on, make a list. Define your car in terms of the things you want it to
be or that you want to do with it. Put the thing you consider most
important at the top of the list then work your way down.

(WARNING: #1- 'Bitchin' Sound System' gets you an F for the course :-)

A fancy name for this is 'Prioritization.' It's what you gotta do to
maximize the effectiveness of your limited resources. But that ain't all.
It is also a sly way to introduce you to the 'Divide & Conquer' concept of
automotive management in which we first decide what has to be done
then break the task down into doable bites that match your resources.
In this case, 'resources' means your skills, tools, time and the availability
of working space.

Whatcha wanna bet your list is NOT the same as everyone else's list?
See, that's a bit of a problem for me, because if I'm going to be telling
you about how to maintain your Volkswagen I need to lay out a plan; I
need to prioritize MY time & work. But what if the most important thing
you need to do is fix a broken window… and I don't get to that until Part
Eighty-seven or whatever. Odds are, you'll be long gone and I'm sitting
here boring everyone to tears.

So I'm not going to do things that way. I'm going to get you your own
teacher. In fact, I already have… it's you. I'm going to hang out under
that tree over there and let YOU work up the syllabus for YOUR vehicle.
That's the purpose of the list. Those are the things that YOU feel are
important. So go ahead and get busy. If I see you doing it wrong, I'll
throw rocks at you :-)

The lesson here is one most will fail to appreciate. You are in charge of
your life. The secret of Life, The Universe and Everything is not '42'.
The secret is to keep your priorities straight, to break tasks down into
doable chunks.

But before you get busy fixing your Volkswagen I'd like you to do me a
favor. I want you to ADD three items to the top of your list. The very
first item is 'The ability to STOP.'

Stopping – good brakes – must ALWAYS have the highest priority.
Making a car go is easy; you don't even need an engine. But when a
sixteen hundred pound bug starts rolling, no matter how slowly, it
represents one hell of a lot of energy (and a bus weighs twice as much).
The ability to stop MUST be your first priority.

The second item, #2 on ANY list of priorities is 'Steering' and the logic is
similar to that for stopping: Once a vehicle is in motion you must be
able to steer. So before we get to the Bitchin' Sound System lets make
sure you can get the thing out of the parking lot without hitting a pole.

Finally, as item #3, I'd like you to add 'Safety' and yeah, I'll be the first
admit it's probably a waste of time to put it on a list, because if you
haven't learned by now that safety, not only around cars but in
EVERYTHING YOU DO has to be a HABIT then you probably never
will. But I want it on-record. And I want the record to show two sub-
heads, the first is 'Personal Restraints' – that's your harness and the
seat you sit in. The second is 'Fire' and under 'Fire' I want you to open
two sub-sub-heads: 'Fuel' and 'Electrical'.

The safety thing turns off a lot of guys because they simply aren't bright
enough to Get It. We probably should have called it Free Money, Good
Sex or mebbe Long Life because 'safety' is all of those things. Safety is
Positive Force, something you channel for your personal benefit. The
way you channel it is by being cryogenically cool and totally
professional. That skews the odds of success 'way over to your side of
the board; you leave nothing to Chance.

Pretty dull, eh? Brakes. Steering. Safety. Nothing totally kewl. So
here's a pop quiz for you. Who wins the race?

Come on. Think it out. What defines the winner?

It's the guy who finishes first. No, not the fastest car in the race, the car
that FINISHES FIRST… no matter what he averaged.

So chew on this: You gotta finish to win. (And not just in a car race.)
Brakes, steering and safety are fundamentals. Then comes making it durable, so
you know you'll be able to finish the race. Only then do you devote any
resources to making it go fast, 'Bitchin' Sound System,' 'Kewl Upholstery,'
and other necessities of life :-)

Can you solder? Do you have a soldering iron? Go find one. A good
mechanic is also a pretty good electrician. You will eventually be both.
Get yourself some rosin-core ELECTRICAL solder to go with the iron.
And a pad of fine-gauge steel wool. And a pair of toe-nail clippers. The
toe-nail clippers are for clipping wire, not toe-nails. You may use
diagonal cutters if you wish but the toe-nail clippers are a lot more fun.
Avoid Radio Shack if at all possible. Their quality is awful and their
prices too high, in my own personal humble opinion.

Have you got some spade-lug connectors? You're going to need some.
Get the kind that are coated with tin; they look kinda dull silvery. Buy
the ones WITHOUT the plastic sleeve. If that's all you can get, be
prepared to remove the plastic sleeve. Volkswagen was a cheap car,
very cheaply made. They used the cheapest electrical components.
The unplated brass connectors suffer from age-hardening and
corrosion. Much of your maintenance work is going to be replacing bad
connectors so let's make sure you start out with good replacements to
begin with. Try Home Depot or order them via mail from Mouser.

You also need some heat-shrink tubing and a pair of crimpers for the
spade-lug connectors. And some wire. Mebbe fifty feet or so. That is,
TWO colors of wire, fifty feet of each. Sixteen gauge will be fine.

And some alligator clips. And a roll of vinyl electrical tape. And a
pocketknife.

What's all this leading up to? Old Volkswagens have a high incidence of
electrical problems. Most electrical problems are easily diagnosed and
simple to fix. We're going to make some test leads and a timing light.
These are basic tools, something you'll use the rest of your life. In
making up the test leads you will learn how to solder and install fittings
onto wires, a skill you're going to need to keep an old Volkswagen
running.

Now figure out where you're going to keep all this electrical stuff. You
want to keep it separate from your other tools. Later on we'll add a
multi-meter and a strobe-light to the kit so find something big enough. A
.50 caliber ammo can will work, except nowadays they cost more than a
real toolbox. Those canvas tool bags from Harbor Freight are handy
and not very expensive. The tool bags come in large & small plus they
offer a Rigger's bag that is about the handiest thing since beer in cans.

Word to the Wise: IF you live where folks frown upon mechanics,
DON'T use a regular toolbox. Fake them out.

Gym bag works great. So does an old bowling bag. Go down to the
Salvation Army and pick up a couple of awol bags or small suitcases.
Use a backpack if you gotta but your full kit of tools is going to be a
pretty heavy load and a major pain in the ass if you have to keep hauling
them back and forth. So don't. Haul them. Roll them. One of the
smartest ideas since pre-sliced bread is those suitcases with wheels & a
handle. The alternative is one of those fold-up carry-on carts from Wal-
Mart or wherever. Anything with wheels is worthy of consideration.
Baby carriage. Office chair. Golf bag carrier. Shopping cart.
BICYCLE. (If you have a home with an attached garage and lotsa shop
space all of this will sound pretty silly but it's Mother's Milk for someone
living in the barracks.)

I'll let you work it out. You are the Mechanic-in-Charge.

-Bob Hoover
-10 April 2K

PS – Got the 'official' Bentley manual? Then read Chapter 10, the
Electrical System. Pay particular attention to the explanation of Ohm's
Law.

Searoy

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
> What do you want to do with your Volkswagen? Fix it up? (whatever that
> means..) Paint it? Build a new engine?

uh, yeah...

> Go on, make a list. Define your car in terms of the things you want it to
> be or that you want to do with it. Put the thing you consider most
> important at the top of the list then work your way down.

"Bitchin' Sound System."

> (WARNING: #1- 'Bitchin' Sound System' gets you an F for the course :-)

Oops.

> But before you get busy fixing your Volkswagen I'd like you to do me a
> favor. I want you to ADD three items to the top of your list. The very
> first item is 'The ability to STOP.'

> The second item, #2 on ANY list of priorities is 'Steering' and the logic

is
> similar to that for stopping:

> Finally, as item #3, I'd like you to add 'Safety'

> Pretty dull, eh? Brakes. Steering. Safety.

Here's my list:

Brakes: Less than 3 weeks old. Need adjusting to straighten out pull to
left when braking.
Steering: Replace bald front tires, tighten (slightly) steering box,
replace stabilizer.
Saftey: New 4-point harnesses installed, 2lb ABC fire extinguisher in
passenger seat, fresh wiring harness.
Shifter: Replace stock shifter and worn front and rear bushings with EMPI
trigger-shifter and neoprene bushings.
Body Rubber: Install all missing body rubber (which is pretty much all of
it) including but not limited to engine bay gaskets, complete door rubber,
complete signal-to-body gaskets, all fender welting, all window rubber but
front and back glass.
Seats: Replace worn or disassembled low back seats with rebuilt high back
seats.
Shocks: Replace painful gas shocks with comfortable oil shocks.
Running Boards: Install them.
Transmission: Check/change fluid in noisy tranny.
Interior: Get some.
Guages: Get some.
Body Trim: Weld shut holes, sand and smooth, primer, seal.
Paint: Get some.
Bitchin' Sound System: Well, you know.

Some of the items may seem out of order to folks, but it's mostly based on
parts I have already available, and how bad some things really are.

Oh, and Bob? Great Article. Maybe Kaferdave would like to reprint these in
his mag?

--
*** Teach a Man to Fish ***
Searoy

Jenn

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Veeduber <veed...@aol.com> wrote in message

> The lesson here is one most will fail to appreciate. You are in charge of
> your life. The secret of Life, The Universe and Everything is not '42'.
> The secret is to keep your priorities straight, to break tasks down into
> doable chunks.

Well of course 42 is not the secret of Life, the Universe and Everything...

42 is the answer to the Ultimate Question.

Gah, been too long since I've read the book, so I'm sure i'm not quite
right, but oh well, close enough! :)

Jenn
'73 Ghia coupe (Isis)
'74 Bus
audac...@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/audacity242/

Rusty J

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
On 4/10/00 at 8:11 PM Mountain Daylight Time, Jenn commented on the following
post:

>Veeduber <veed...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> The lesson here is one most will fail to appreciate. You are in charge of
>> your life. The secret of Life, The Universe and Everything is not '42'.
>> The secret is to keep your priorities straight, to break tasks down into
>> doable chunks.
>
>Well of course 42 is not the secret of Life, the Universe and Everything...
>
>42 is the answer to the Ultimate Question.
>
>Gah, been too long since I've read the book, so I'm sure i'm not quite
>right, but oh well, close enough! :)

"42" was the answer to, "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" (Yes,
there IS something fundamentally wrong with the Universe.) Great Radio / book
/ televison series, that.

--Rusty
'80 WedgeFalia (that so far chooses to remain anonymous...)
(delete SPAMCIDE in address to reply)

Scatman

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
OK, here's my list of major projects...

1.) Replace 'tweaked' front beam and correct my camber angle. Replace front
tires (again).

2.) Replace the IRS bushings with urethane pieces. (and correct funky camber
angle). Four wheel alignment.

3. Prep and undercoat the entire chassis.

I've already installed seat belts, front disk brakes, upgraded the rear brakes,
rebuilt the brake system, rebuilt the front suspension, and safety is an
on-going project. If the wind-shield wipers don't work, the 'bitchin' stereo'
gets kicked a few lines down the list.

Should have replaced the front beam when I rebuilt the front suspension but it
didn't pose an immediate driveability problem - It only wears out tires.

Aaron Guinn - the "Scat(\/)an"
aguin...@aol.com ae...@technologist.com

"Zero to sixty? Sometimes..."

Shad Laws

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00

> "42" was the answer to, "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?"
(Yes,
> there IS something fundamentally wrong with the Universe.) Great Radio /
book
> / televison series, that.

Kinda... 42 is 6 times 9 in base 13.... :-)

Shad

Searoy

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00

Shad Laws <s-l...@nwu.edu> wrote in message

how do you guys come up with this stuff??? I would have never thought in
13s.

but I have friends who would be right up there with you.

John Henry

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
As always some good "preach" from Bob.

And as always, I can't keep from "adding my own $1.57" worth (hey have to keep my
post count up for the next RAMVA King review)..

Veeduber wrote:

> TULZ – Part Three
>
> <snip>

> (WARNING: #1- 'Bitchin' Sound System' gets you an F for the course :-)
>

> <snip-snip> And I want the record to show two sub-
> heads,

Hmmm, are those two statements related? I have a sub in my car, but not sure I
would call myself a "sub head"...

> You also need some heat-shrink tubing and a pair of crimpers for the
> spade-lug connectors. And some wire. Mebbe fifty feet or so. That is,
> TWO colors of wire, fifty feet of each. Sixteen gauge will be fine.

CRIMPING!!?? Bob, you of all people!! What is the soldering iron for then?!

Call me anal (many have) but I just can't crimp electrical stuff in good
conscience. Get those plated connectors that Bob mentions (they suck up solder
real easy). Strip wire, insert in barrel crimp, heat connector, flood barrel with
solder, apply heat shrink. If it is a female spade, apply one heat shrink over the
barrel and wire near end, then a bigger one (1/4") over the whole connector.

Some folks crimp and solder, that is fine, but I don't need that extra step...

> In
> making up the test leads you will learn how to solder and install fittings
> onto wires, a skill you're going to need to keep an old Volkswagen
> running.

Very good idea. Make up about 6-8 test leads, some short and some long.

> Gym bag works great. So does an old bowling bag. Go down to the
> Salvation Army and pick up a couple of awol bags or small suitcases.

Whew, Bob, you are out on a limb now. Wal mart plastic tool box for $2.99? What
is wrong with that. A BOWLING bag!??

Oh. I get it. Security. Whose is going to try and steal a BOWLING bag...

Bob, you're pretty slick...

--

John Henry
---------------

Forget World Peace. "Visualize" using your damn turn signals.

Shad Laws

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Unfortunately, I can't take the credit :-) Some friends and I happened upon
a website that had all the neat things about 42. This one just happened to
stick in my head...

Shad

Searoy <sea...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Shad Laws

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Where'd the extra $1.55 go?

Shad

P.S. I'm a poor college kid... can I have it?

John Henry <johns...@sprintmail.com> wrote in message

> As always some good "preach" from Bob.
>
> And as always, I can't keep from "adding my own $1.57" worth (hey have
to keep my
> post count up for the next RAMVA King review)..
>
> Veeduber wrote:
>

> > TULZ - Part Three
> >
> > <snip>

> > (WARNING: #1- 'Bitchin' Sound System' gets you an F for the course :-)
> >

> > <snip-snip> And I want the record to show two sub-
> > heads,
>

> Hmmm, are those two statements related? I have a sub in my car, but not
sure I
> would call myself a "sub head"...
>

> > You also need some heat-shrink tubing and a pair of crimpers for the
> > spade-lug connectors. And some wire. Mebbe fifty feet or so. That is,
> > TWO colors of wire, fifty feet of each. Sixteen gauge will be fine.
> >

> CRIMPING!!?? Bob, you of all people!! What is the soldering iron for
then?!

> Call me anal (many have) but I just can't crimp electrical stuff in good
> conscience. Get those plated connectors that Bob mentions (they suck up
solder
> real easy). Strip wire, insert in barrel crimp, heat connector, flood
barrel with
> solder, apply heat shrink. If it is a female spade, apply one heat shrink
over the
> barrel and wire near end, then a bigger one (1/4") over the whole
connector.

> Some folks crimp and solder, that is fine, but I don't need that extra
step...

> > In
> > making up the test leads you will learn how to solder and install
fittings
> > onto wires, a skill you're going to need to keep an old Volkswagen
> > running.
>

> Very good idea. Make up about 6-8 test leads, some short and some long.
>

> > Gym bag works great. So does an old bowling bag. Go down to the
> > Salvation Army and pick up a couple of awol bags or small suitcases.

Rusty J

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Life, the Universe, and Everything", taken from Douglas Adams's The
Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

"Shad Laws" wrote:
>Kinda... 42 is 6 times 9 in base 13.... :-)

Yes -- yes it is. I knew that, once upon a time...
But I'm a bit rusty these days.

John Willis

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
On 10 Apr 2000 21:58:26 GMT, veed...@aol.com (Veeduber) wrote:

>So I'm not going to do things that way. I'm going to get you your own
>teacher. In fact, I already have… it's you. I'm going to hang out under
>that tree over there and let YOU work up the syllabus for YOUR vehicle.
>That's the purpose of the list. Those are the things that YOU feel are
>important. So go ahead and get busy. If I see you doing it wrong, I'll
>throw rocks at you :-)

This is also, as I suspect you know, very similar to story
telling...intoduce your protagonist, get him or her up a tree, throw
rocks at him or her for a while, then throw some more rocks, and just
to make things interesting, toss a few rocks at 'em...

>The lesson here is one most will fail to appreciate. You are in charge of
>your life. The secret of Life, The Universe and Everything is not '42'.
>The secret is to keep your priorities straight, to break tasks down into
>doable chunks.

I look around me and have to wonder...isn't this self evident? Your
life is your ultimate creation, make it what you would have it be, but
think like an ant, one grain of sand at a time...

>The safety thing turns off a lot of guys because they simply aren't bright
>enough to Get It.

I call that Evolution in Action...unfortunate, but true.

>And some alligator clips. And a roll of vinyl electrical tape. And a
>pocketknife.

I go no where without my trusty pocket knife...

>Now figure out where you're going to keep all this electrical stuff. You
>want to keep it separate from your other tools. Later on we'll add a
>multi-meter and a strobe-light to the kit so find something big enough. A
>.50 caliber ammo can will work, except nowadays they cost more than a
>real toolbox. Those canvas tool bags from Harbor Freight are handy
>and not very expensive. The tool bags come in large & small plus they
>offer a Rigger's bag that is about the handiest thing since beer in cans.

Bob, I love it, and I agree with what you said earlier, the world is
your shop, if you know how to use it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John Willis
jdwi...@airmail.net

John Henry

Apr 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/12/00
sha-WING!

Good one Shad......

Shad Laws wrote:

> Where'd the extra $1.55 go?
>
> Shad
>
> P.S. I'm a poor college kid... can I have it?
>
> John Henry <johns...@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
> > As always some good "preach" from Bob.
> >
> > And as always, I can't keep from "adding my own $1.57" worth (hey have
> to keep my
> > post count up for the next RAMVA King review)..
> >
> > Veeduber wrote:
> >
> > > TULZ - Part Three
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >

> > > (WARNING: #1- 'Bitchin' Sound System' gets you an F for the course :-)
> > >

> > > <snip-snip> And I want the record to show two sub-
> > > heads,
> >

> > Hmmm, are those two statements related? I have a sub in my car, but not
> sure I
> > would call myself a "sub head"...
> >

> > > You also need some heat-shrink tubing and a pair of crimpers for the
> > > spade-lug connectors. And some wire. Mebbe fifty feet or so. That is,
> > > TWO colors of wire, fifty feet of each. Sixteen gauge will be fine.
> > >

> > CRIMPING!!?? Bob, you of all people!! What is the soldering iron for
> then?!
> >
> > Call me anal (many have) but I just can't crimp electrical stuff in good
> > conscience. Get those plated connectors that Bob mentions (they suck up
> solder
> > real easy). Strip wire, insert in barrel crimp, heat connector, flood
> barrel with
> > solder, apply heat shrink. If it is a female spade, apply one heat shrink
> over the
> > barrel and wire near end, then a bigger one (1/4") over the whole
> connector.
> >
> > Some folks crimp and solder, that is fine, but I don't need that extra
> step...
> >

> > > In
> > > making up the test leads you will learn how to solder and install
> fittings
> > > onto wires, a skill you're going to need to keep an old Volkswagen
> > > running.
> >

> > Very good idea. Make up about 6-8 test leads, some short and some long.
> >

> > > Gym bag works great. So does an old bowling bag. Go down to the
> > > Salvation Army and pick up a couple of awol bags or small suitcases.
> >

> > Whew, Bob, you are out on a limb now. Wal mart plastic tool box for
> $2.99? What
> > is wrong with that. A BOWLING bag!??
> >

> > Oh. I get it. Security. Whose is going to try and steal a BOWLING
> bag...
> >

> > Bob, you're pretty slick...
> >

> > > <snipped more>
> > >

> > --
> >
> > John Henry
> > ---------------
> > Visit the "BugShop" at http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4000
> >
> > Forget World Peace. "Visualize" using your damn turn signals.

--
John Henry, the "Fweeminator"

"Yea, to roar is to have honor. But to Fweem, that is to be truly noble"
- Unknown

Visit the "BugShop" at: http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/4000/

Jim Mowreader

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00
Rusty J sends:

> "42" was the answer to, "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?"
> (Yes, there IS something fundamentally wrong with the Universe.) Great Radio
> / book / televison series, that.

Isn't 42 the answer to "what do you get when you multiply six by seven?"
6x9=54.

Rusty J

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
Rusty J explains his previous posting:

"6x9=42" is from "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy", by Douglas Adams,
wherein the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and
Everything is revealed to be "42". Of course, nobody knew what the actual
question was...
"What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" came up in the story as a
plausible candidate. (It's funnier in context, of course.)
I highly recommend the books / BBC radio series / BBC television series.

Aircooled VW Content: This afternoon I replaced the engine bay seal in my
Vanagon. The old one was not only crumbling, but also was meant for a
late-model Bus. (We now return you to the off-topic thread, already in
progress.)

Jim Mowreader commented:

>Isn't 42 the answer to "what do you get when you multiply six by seven?"
>6x9=54.
>

>Rusty J sent:

>> "42" was the answer to, "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?"
>> (Yes, there IS something fundamentally wrong with the Universe.) Great
>Radio
>> / book / televison series, that.

--Rusty

Shad Laws

Apr 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/16/00
Not in base 13... :-)

Shad

Jim Mowreader <xd...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Rusty J sends:

> > "42" was the answer to, "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?"
> > (Yes, there IS something fundamentally wrong with the Universe.) Great
Radio
> > / book / televison series, that.

Chris Hobbs

Apr 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/18/00
On 16 Apr 2000 05:08:35 GMT, Rusty J <roq8...@aol.comspamcide> set forth:

> Rusty J explains his previous posting:

Now there's a frood who really knows where his towel is at!

--
Chris Hobbs Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek: Technology Services Coordinator

Jim

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Ok, ok, this has been bugging me for a while. I have always considered the
four books of the Hitchhiker's trilogy as sort of my bible (not to mention
they're funny as hell). I just looked it up...here it is...a reading from
the Hitchhiker's Guide...chapter 32...

"All right," said Benjy. "What do you get if you multiply six by seven?"
"No, no, too literal, too factual," said Frankie, "wouldn't sustain the
punters' interest."
Again they thought.
Then Frankie said, "Here's a thought. How many roads must a man walk down?"
"Ah!" said Benjy. "Aha, now that does sould promising!" He rolled the phrase
around a little. "Yes," he said, "that's excellent! Sounds very significant
without actually tying you down to meaning anything at all. How many roads
must a man walk down? Forty-two. Excellent, excellent, that'll fox 'em.
Frankie, baby, we're made!"

"Rusty J" <roq8...@aol.comSPAMCIDE> wrote in message

> Rusty J explains his previous posting:
>

> "6x9=42" is from "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy", by Douglas
Adams,
> wherein the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and
> Everything is revealed to be "42". Of course, nobody knew what the actual
> question was...
> "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" came up in the story as a
> plausible candidate. (It's funnier in context, of course.)
> I highly recommend the books / BBC radio series / BBC television series.
>
> Aircooled VW Content: This afternoon I replaced the engine bay seal in my
> Vanagon. The old one was not only crumbling, but also was meant for a
> late-model Bus. (We now return you to the off-topic thread, already in
> progress.)
>
> Jim Mowreader commented:
>

> >Isn't 42 the answer to "what do you get when you multiply six by seven?"
> >6x9=54.
> >

> >Rusty J sent:

> >> "42" was the answer to, "What do you get when you multiply six by
nine?"
> >> (Yes, there IS something fundamentally wrong with the Universe.) Great
> >Radio
> >> / book / televison series, that.

Searoy

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
> Ok, ok, this has been bugging me for a while. I have always considered the
> four books of the Hitchhiker's trilogy as sort of my bible (not to mention
> they're funny as hell).

Aren't there four books in the trilogy?

There's, like, 5 in Asomov's Foundation trilogy.

--
*** Teach a Man to Fish ***
Searoy

69 bug (parts)
66 bug (daily driver project)

ANTI SPAM STUFF: frau...@psinet.com swee...@accc.gov.au u...@ftc.gov
admin@loopback $LOGIN@localhost $LOGNAME@localhost $USER@localhost
$USER@$HOST -h1024@localhost ro...@mailloop.com

P.J. BERG

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
There is 5-five books in the triology by Douglas Adams + an
introductory/explanetory chapter.
I am currently reading : Life, The univers and everything.
Another book he wrote was : Last chanse to see. It was exelent, and can be
recomended.

J.

--

P.J.Berg
Priv. # +47 22594552

"Searoy" <sea...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

bobsta

Apr 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/27/00
The Hitchhikers Trilogy: "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", "The
Restaurant at the End of the Universe", "Life, The Universe and Everything",
"So Long and Thanks for all the Fish" and "Mostly Harmless"

There's also a series featuring one Dirk Gentley: "Dirk Gentley's Hollistic
Dective Agency" & "The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul"

Plus "Last Chance To See" written with Mark Carwardine, "The Meaning of
Liff" with John Lloyd (and theres a "The Deeper Meaning of Liff" with
illustrations from Private Eye cartoonist Bert Kitchen) and several guides
to the guide etc etc...

all of which are variously good/very good/the funniest book i ever read....

I should get out more...

--
bobsta ('67 bug)

Get Paid to Surf the Web-->