A new way to spot Miata owners

Bruno

Dec 18, 2007, 12:51:47 PM12/18/07
It's amazing what you can do with Google Earth:

56°10'57.19"N, 10°11'48.55"E

Time to play "Spot the Miata"

Kind regards
Bruno

PS. To be fair - I only found one and it's not a confirmed. I shall post
it's coordinates later for everyone to check.

Lanny Chambers

Dec 18, 2007, 1:12:53 PM12/18/07
In article <476808ca$0$21927$157c...@dreader1.cybercity.dk>,
Bruno <dont...@this.address.ever> wrote:

> It's amazing what you can do with Google Earth:
>
> 56°10'57.19"N, 10°11'48.55"E

Oops.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO

jim

Dec 19, 2007, 1:18:53 PM12/19/07
On Dec 18, 1:12 pm, Lanny Chambers <la...@hummingbirds.net> wrote:
> In article <476808ca$0$21927$157c6...@dreader1.cybercity.dk>,

> Bruno <dont....@this.address.ever> wrote:
> > It's amazing what you can do with Google Earth:
>
> > 56°10'57.19"N, 10°11'48.55"E
>
> Oops.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

I don't see a Miata in the Google Earth shot, I hope it is not under
the large truck that tipped over!

BK

Dec 18, 2007, 2:14:41 PM12/18/07
I'd be able to see mine in the drive...but it was in the garage with the
bird flew over.
"Lanny Chambers" <la...@hummingbirds.net> wrote in message

Scott Streeter

Dec 21, 2007, 8:24:24 AM12/21/07

Didn't look like I was home at the time...

"BK" <miat...@charter.net> writes:

Bruno

Dec 22, 2007, 6:47:13 PM12/22/07
jim wrote:

> I don't see a Miata in the Google Earth shot, I hope it is not under
> the large truck that tipped over!

No Miata under the truck (fortunately).

The truck was mostly meant as a funny starting point plus it illustrated
who the amount of details caught on Google Earth. My whole post is sort
of inspired by an article describing how the resolution in the pictures
covering Aarhus (the second largest city in Denmark) has been increased
to 10 cm (3.9") as opposed to the 40 cm (15.7") which is the normal
resolution for the rest of the country.

The higher resolution sort of makes it possible to spot a Miata even
without knowing it's location beforehand so I though it could be fun if
a few was located simply using Google Earth. I used a couple of minutes
my self and I do think I found one:

56° 9'41.98"N, 10°12'55.10"E

There are something like 500-600 Miata's on the roads in Denmark sure
povided they are distributed evenly some 40-50 should be home in the
Aarhus area.

Kind regards
Bruno

pws

Dec 22, 2007, 7:22:22 PM12/22/07
Bruno wrote:

> No Miata under the truck (fortunately).
>
> The truck was mostly meant as a funny starting point plus it illustrated
> who the amount of details caught on Google Earth. My whole post is sort
> of inspired by an article describing how the resolution in the pictures
> covering Aarhus (the second largest city in Denmark) has been increased
> to 10 cm (3.9") as opposed to the 40 cm (15.7") which is the normal
> resolution for the rest of the country.
>
> The higher resolution sort of makes it possible to spot a Miata even
> without knowing it's location beforehand so I though it could be fun if
> a few was located simply using Google Earth. I used a couple of minutes
> my self and I do think I found one:
>
> 56° 9'41.98"N, 10°12'55.10"E
>
> There are something like 500-600 Miata's on the roads in Denmark sure
> povided they are distributed evenly some 40-50 should be home in the
> Aarhus area.
>
> Kind regards
> Bruno

Is this cheating? :-)

30°20'39.34"N 97°44'16.03"W

Pat

Dana Myers

Dec 22, 2007, 7:38:36 PM12/22/07
pws wrote:

> Is this cheating? :-)
>
> 30°20'39.34"N 97°44'16.03"W
>
> Pat

Not anymore than this is:

38.13285 -122.256573

:-)

Dana
P.S. Mine used to be parked right about there.

Chuck

Dec 22, 2007, 11:41:38 PM12/22/07
The pictures for my area are so old that they show trees that were removed
years ago, and a race track that has not been a race track for twenty years.
Heck, you can hardly make out where my house is, let alone what might be in
the driveway. Just to add insult to injury, the postal address overlay is
also wrong, and shows a forty year old (incorrect) address assignment for
the houses on the entire street. The assignment may be the one before the
lots were sold and houses were built in the late 1960s and early 70s. This
error also exists in the data base sold by the post office to the map makers
and the GPS software developers (2005 version). Because of the presence of
a local AFB that many years ago, had B-52s on alert status, the east side of
town (vicinity of the base) had no detail on many maps for years. This
finally changed when satellite maps from commercial sources showed the
details. Another clue to the age of the data is that the road was moved
slightly between 1980 and 1985. The road change is shown, but the street
overlay still shows the old routing.
Oh, Well!

"Dana Myers" <dana....@gmail.com> wrote in message

pws

Dec 23, 2007, 12:15:35 AM12/23/07
Dana Myers wrote:

> Not anymore than this is:
>
> 38.13285 -122.256573
>
> :-)
>
> Dana
> P.S. Mine used to be parked right about there.

This is a little scary. The car on the right is my first Miata, the
wrecked 1996 "M" Edition.
Next to it is the 1991 Silverstone, and unless I am mistaken, that is me
between the two Miatas, about halfway done taking the tan car cover off
of the wrecked '96M.

30°20'49.61"N 97°44'51.80"W

I guess the images are around 3 years old now. It has been a while since
I have been at that location.

Pat

Ken Lyons

Dec 23, 2007, 11:29:56 AM12/23/07
"Chuck" <Chuckk...@cox.net> wrote

> The pictures for my area are so old that they show trees that were removed
> years ago, and a race track that has not been a race track for twenty
> years.
> Heck, you can hardly make out where my house is, let alone what might be
> in
> the driveway.

Similar here. Google Earth has my house pinpointed a block down the street.
The resolution is so bad that the red blob in the drive *MAY* be my wife's
'90 Miata....or our long gone 1976 Datsun pickup truck. Our house has the
old roof from years ago, one neighbor's home addition is not there and our
huge oak tree doesn't show to be much more than a sapling. Perhaps being so
close to the Pentagon, the resolution and age of the satellite images are
restricted.
--
Ken - '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

~AlicGinnis~

Dec 23, 2007, 12:56:16 PM12/23/07
It's good to know the Chinese occupiers will be
able to track everybody down using google earth after the invasion. The
lucky people
will be the ones whoes houses are a block off target, thus giving them
a little time to escape. The real problems will start if a missle knocks
out our GPS, and staillite phone, systems. Google earth, and their ilk,
have pretty much removed anyone's right to privacy.

"pws" <pwsh...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

Lanny Chambers

Dec 23, 2007, 2:38:05 PM12/23/07
In article <VvadnXkYhs_IMvPa...@comcast.com>,
"~AlicGinnis~" <al...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Google earth, and their ilk,
> have pretty much removed anyone's right to privacy.

Indeed. I had to stop wearing my tinfoil hat after seeing how well it
showed up on Google Earth. I mean, what's the point of shielding your
brainwaves when everyone can see where you were five years ago?

</GETALIFE>

Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, BA, MA, BLT, PhD, MYOB, STFU

Dec 24, 2007, 2:33:04 PM12/24/07

Whence comes this "right"?

"~AlicGinnis~" <al...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

XS11E

Dec 24, 2007, 3:47:01 PM12/24/07
<som...@microsfot.com> wrote:

> Whence comes this "right"?

There is a very common misconception that the US Constitution
guarantees the right to privacy, it does not except in a very limited
way.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, BA, MA, BLT, PhD, MYOB, STFU

Dec 27, 2007, 2:28:00 AM12/27/07

Begging the question.

From whence do "rights" derive?

"XS11E" <xs...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

pws

Dec 27, 2007, 8:22:55 AM12/27/07
Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, BA, MA, BLT, PhD, MYOB, STFU wrote:
> Begging the question.
>
> From whence do "rights" derive?

Bigger guns & bigger money. It has always been human nature that the
more powerful have more rights than those that they can control.

I don't see that one ever changing.

Pat

XS11E

Dec 27, 2007, 12:07:58 PM12/27/07
<som...@microsfot.com> wrote:

> Begging the question.
>
> From whence do "rights" derive?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights

Chris D'Agnolo

Dec 27, 2007, 8:52:54 PM12/27/07
I love wikipedia. Very informative.

Chris
99BBB

"XS11E" <xs...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

Lanny Chambers

Dec 27, 2007, 10:58:12 PM12/27/07
In article <801e8$477456fa$471d4976$21...@ALLTEL.NET>,

"Chris D'Agnolo" <cdag...@alltel.net> wrote:

> I love wikipedia. Very informative.

The only problem is it's hard to tell when an article is accurate. It's
pretty good, overall, but some authors have agendas, and they can get
away with considerable mischief unless someone makes a fuss.

Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, BA, MA, BLT, PhD, MYOB, STFU

Dec 28, 2007, 11:30:18 AM12/28/07

The linked article was pretty darn good, though. The Stanford site is,
however, more "authoritative" in that it has been peer reviewed:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/rights-human/

Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, BA, MA, BLT, PhD, MYOB, STFU

Dec 28, 2007, 11:32:35 AM12/28/07

A second site that contains similar materials to the original Wiki article:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/rights/

"Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, BA, MA, BLT, PhD, MYOB, STFU"

<som...@microsfot.com> wrote in message

Bruno

Dec 28, 2007, 12:43:43 PM12/28/07
It's the same thing with every encyclopedia.

I have worked a few year as an IT guy in a company doing computerized
versions of dictionaries and encyclopedias and I remember talking with
editors about article quality and stuff. It's a business where everyone
knows there is no such thing as 100% perfect. In some articles it may be
easy but in many cases the writers views may come through if perhaps
only very slightly.

Kind regards
Bruno

Jeroen Feelders

Dec 29, 2007, 7:26:10 AM12/29/07
One more "spot the Miata":

52.08549,4.342589

Can't be more obvious! :)

--
The Silver Striped 91B Crystal White Miata - http://miata.feelders.com
Mazda MX-5 Club of the Netherlands Technical and Websitecommittee Member -

"Bruno" <dont...@this.address.ever> schreef in bericht

Chris D'Agnolo

Dec 29, 2007, 11:09:35 PM12/29/07
Wow, you can even see the stripe, pretty cool. Best one I've seen yet.

Chris
99BBB

"Jeroen Feelders" <http://mailto.feelders.com> wrote in message