AX15 Rebuild Bearings

Brian Moga

Nov 14, 2005, 8:18:29 AM11/14/05

Is there a trick to getting the bearings off the shafts? I was
going to use a gear puller hooked on first gear but it looks like
there is a C clip in there...

will a bearing seporator do the trick?

How do I press the new bearing back on?

Brian Moga
Waxhaw.Net

L.W. Hughes III

Nov 14, 2005, 3:22:51 PM11/14/05
Hi Brian,
Remove the snap ring and slid it off by hand, with a little help
from a screwdriver. There has never been anything pressed together
inside a gear box: http://www.billhughes.com/temp/AX15.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com

Earle Horton

Nov 14, 2005, 3:39:53 PM11/14/05
That link you posted contains ten references to "press"ing various parts
together and apart. Hubs, shafts, bearings... ;o)

Earle

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" <billh...@cox.net> wrote in message

L.W. Hughes III

Nov 14, 2005, 4:51:49 PM11/14/05
Hi Earle,
LOL Except, in the areas pictured, if we had to use something other
than our fingers to "press" it off it would be a puller, not a twenty
ton press used to slid an axle retainer ring off or on.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/

Earle Horton

Nov 14, 2005, 5:05:42 PM11/14/05
Guy I used to work with, defined transmission "special tools" as a brass
drift and a set of snap ring pliers. He got a lot of transmission work,
too. I think you're right. Under "Special Tools" your link lists "C-3339
Dial Indicator Set" and C-4961 Michrometer, Two Inch". If there was any
real "press"ing involved, there would be a bunch of collars and adapters to
buy. (What the hell is a "Michrometer"?)

The guy who is putting this thing together, needs to look at the part about
different thickness snap rings. I think it may be important.

Earle

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" <billh...@cox.net> wrote in message

L.W. Hughes III

Nov 14, 2005, 7:07:53 PM11/14/05
Hi Earle,
And there's a zillion types of ring pliers, too I usually whined up
binding two screwdrivers together.
That's the only name I know them by, you know it as micrometer, and
very necessary in engine rebuilding, inside mics especially for the
gears that ride an output shaft as regular roller bearings are not
strong enough and we can't see the wear in a brass bushing:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/michrometer.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com

Brian Moga

Nov 14, 2005, 8:17:59 PM11/14/05

Hey Bill

Thanks for the info... This is my first tranny rebuild and I have
a new respect for the internal workings of an AX15. As for snap ring
pliers - 6 of the snap rings in this tranny has to be done by double
screwdriver (finding them after the fly across the floor was the hard
part). I am thinking a bearing seperator is needed to get these 3
started ... I can not get enough leverage from the big screw drivers.

I'm just looking for some more agressive home remedies for getting these
mothers off.... (PB Blaster?)

well I will read people ideas this week and try again on Friday or
Saturday.....

Brian Moga
Waxhaw.Net

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, L.W.([iso-8859-1] ßill) Hughes III wrote:

> Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:07:53 -0800
> From: "L.W.([iso-8859-1] ßill) Hughes III" <billh...@cox.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
> Subject: Re: AX15 Rebuild Bearings

L.W. Hughes III

Nov 14, 2005, 7:58:44 PM11/14/05
Hi Brian,
Usually we buy a small parts kit, of which the snap rings are a
part.
Take a file and remove any burs your improvised tool made. On
AMERICAN transmission I remove the bearing out the front by putting that
bearing in a little bind and driven the input shaft in with a mallet,
moving the bearing out with each smack. Looks like everything separates
with your Japanese thing, I'd just point the input shaft at a two by
four and let inertia slip the bearing off.

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
mailto:LWHug...@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/

Brian Moga

Nov 14, 2005, 9:43:08 PM11/14/05

One other rebuild matter comes to mind. When I took this tranny
apart there were no paper gaskets. Just good old RTV....
Do I need the paper gaskets? Does not having them affect spacing
in the tranny?

Brian Moga
Waxhaw.Net

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, L.W.([iso-8859-1] ßill) Hughes III wrote:

> Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:58:44 -0800

> From: "L.W.([iso-8859-1] ßill) Hughes III" <billh...@cox.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
> Subject: Re: AX15 Rebuild Bearings

L.W. Hughes III

Nov 14, 2005, 9:28:53 PM11/14/05
I don't used gaskets. I can't think of a place where it would be
necessary as a shim.

Earle Horton

Nov 15, 2005, 2:34:02 AM11/15/05
The spacing appears to be taken care of by the snap ring selection. There
are different philosophies on paper gaskets. Did your small parts kit come
with them? On the one hand, they swell up with oil to make a better seal.
That is what the old theory says anyway. On the other hand, I have seen
them shrink with age, split, and leak. Most people go with RTV nowadays, as
they have some to believe that it "lasts forever".

Earle

"Brian Moga" <bm...@waxhaw.net> wrote in message

Earle Horton

Nov 15, 2005, 2:39:04 AM11/15/05
Bill,

Check the spelling on that "Michrometer" again. I am familiar with
micrometers, but two inch? Craftsman has an external snap ring plier, that
is every bit as capable as two screwdrivers. There is nothing better for
spreading stubborn battery terminals.

Earle

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" <billh...@cox.net> wrote in message

L.W. Hughes III

Nov 15, 2005, 6:03:20 PM11/15/05
Hi Earle,
But that's the way it's spelled in all my Real repair manuals, and
pronounced: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?microm13.wav=micrometer
You may say: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?microm14.wav=micrometer
Not having to get grease under your fingernails while using a
michrometer.
Snap ring pliers would take me out of my amateur standing, besides
I could make one in a couple of minutes.