200 Jeep Cherokee turn signal problem

bspear78

Oct 22, 2009, 9:44:45 AM10/22/09
For about 2 weeks now my right turn signal has been blinking really
fast. I replaced the bulbs all around, still happeneing. The flashers
work they just blink fast, also when I put my left turn signal on,
both turn signal flash. Any ideas? Should I buy the bulb grease and
clean the connections? Thanks

Bryan
2000 Cherokee

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Oct 22, 2009, 12:17:49 PM10/22/09
Hi Bryan,
Did you pull a trailer with short on the brake lights, or look for a
short along your right side, maybe at your trailer conection? That melted
your turn signal switch together, and it will have be replaced.
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/JeepXJsignal.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
mailto:BillH...@billhughes.com
http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm

"bspear78" <bspe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Mike Romain

Oct 22, 2009, 2:54:38 PM10/22/09

I would change the flasher next just to see. Then I too would be
thinking column switch or maybe even a pinched harness if you have a
trailer hitch with trailer light wiring?

Mike
2000 Cherokee Sport
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00
'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and
Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

DougW

Oct 22, 2009, 6:02:16 PM10/22/09

While fast blinking is indicative of a bad connection at the bulb,
bad bulb, connector, or corrosion in the harness. When both blink
it indicates a ground problem. Your left turn signal is seeking
ground through the other lamp and causing both bulbs to flash.
The greater the resistance the faster a blinker module will blink.

Follow the 18 Gauge black wire back to the chassis ground.
It might be as simple as corrosion in the wiring harness.
Finding the problem is a matter of tracing everything back.

Also double check the lamp holders to make sure none have melted.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Kate

Oct 22, 2009, 6:54:04 PM10/22/09
I would first check all of the contact points at the bulbs. Make sure you
are getting contact where the bulb seats. If it looks even a little fishy,
clean the contacts and try again.

Bulb grease... why did that make me think of blinker fluid?

K.

Jeff Strickland

Oct 22, 2009, 8:42:23 PM10/22/09

"bspear78" <bspe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

DougW has the best asnwer so far.

Turn the lights ON, then test the blinker. Also, press the brake pedal and
test the blinker.

You have an electrical load issue -- high resistance. You need to be looking
for a corroded ground somewhere. I'd suspect the tail lamp assemblies first.