So, I do The Pinch Test

Daniel Paisley

Apr 16, 2005, 8:13:13 PM4/16/05
Well. It is a beautiful day outside, and I decide to do some under the
hood Jeep stuff. So I do the "pinch" test that Mike has recommended. As
I'm touching the first hose, one falls into my hand, _with_ a bolt stuck
in it!! Now I have no idea as to what is going on! Could it be that
somebody has already replaced the canister, but not with the right one?
There was no change in idle no matter what hose I pinched, however they
all seemed very hard. How many hoses should be going into a canister on
a '89 YJ? Dan

L.W. Hughes III

Apr 16, 2005, 9:15:40 PM4/16/05

Mike Romain

Apr 17, 2005, 9:05:54 AM4/17/05
There is one small vacuum line to the top that comes from the CTO valve
on the intake manifold.

There is a purge line just below that that goes to the PCV line and can
just join it with a T fitting. This is the testing line.

Then there is a line to the carb float bowl and one to the gas tank.

Check the link out that Bill gave and let us know which line has the
bolt.

The only one to 'pinch' test is the one from the PCV to the canister.
if this is the one with the bolt, the canister is likely dead.

If it can be hooked back up and passes the pinch test, then I would
suspect the $2.00 air filter on the bottom of the canister is plugged.
This is a common reason to unhook them because it puts a vacuum on the
gas tank, but the biggest reason is a failed purge valve. (the pinch
test)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Daniel Paisley

Apr 17, 2005, 12:35:06 PM4/17/05

billh...@cox.net (L.W.( ßill) Hughes III) posted this link:
          http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

Hey, thanks Bill! There is a lot of good info there! Definately gonna
save that page. Dan

Daniel Paisley

Apr 17, 2005, 12:41:45 PM4/17/05
Mike Romain wrote:

There is one small vacuum line to the top that comes from the CTO valve
on the intake manifold.
There is a purge line just below that that goes to the PCV line and can
just join it with a T fitting. This is the testing line.
Then there is a line to the carb float bowl and one to the gas tank.
Check the link out that Bill gave and let us know which line has the
bolt.
The only one to 'pinch' test is the one from the PCV to the canister. if
this is the one with the bolt, the canister is likely dead.
If it can be hooked back up and passes the pinch test, then I would
suspect the $2.00 air filter on the bottom of the canister is plugged.
This is a common reason to unhook them because it puts a vacuum on the
gas tank, but the biggest reason is a failed purge valve. (the pinch
test)
The hose is rather small and it is coming from a T that goes to the
carb.

Mike Romain

Apr 17, 2005, 5:09:11 PM4/17/05

Carb base?