Re: Muffler for 94 Accord

Message has been deleted

Elle

Nov 10, 2009, 7:51:05 PM11/10/09
On Nov 10, 5:11 pm, Peabody <waybackNO784SPA...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I need to replace the original muffler on my 94 Accord (63k miles),
> and it appears it will cost close to US$300 to have a Honda
> original equimpment "bolt-in" replacement done.  Has anyone had any
> luck with the muffler chains like Midas, etc.?  Are they less
> expensive?  Are the mufflers any good?

I have used chains like Midas. The aftermarket mufflers do not last
as long. You do get what you pay for. On the other hand, check the
warranty. I remember at least once that Midas replaced the muffler
after a couple years, no charge for anything, per the warranty. They
made no bones about it, too. I would use Midas and similar again. I
would also consider pricing the cost of an OEM muffler and shipping of
same from a place like www.bkhondaparts.com. See what your local
muffler shop would charge to put it on..

Tegger

Nov 10, 2009, 8:17:05 PM11/10/09
Peabody <waybackNO...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:CinKm.15295$ET3.2754
@newsfe17.iad:

> I need to replace the original muffler on my 94 Accord (63k miles),
> and it appears it will cost close to US$300 to have a Honda
> original equimpment "bolt-in" replacement done. Has anyone had any
> luck with the muffler chains like Midas, etc.? Are they less
> expensive? Are the mufflers any good?

That $300 OEM muffler comes with a lifetime warranty.

And unlike aftermarket "lifetime" "warranties", this one covers EVERYTHING
from the back of the B-pipe to the tailpipe. Labor and parts, it's all
covered. The hangers are better than aftermarket, there are no clamps, the
fit is WAY better than aftermarket.

Plus it'll last the rest of your car's life. You got 15 years on the
original! Are you still going to have the car in 15 more years? And how
much trouble was that OEM muffler in those 15 years?

Aftermarket lasts a fraction of the time OEM does before it needs even more
work done, which will likely NOT be covered by the aftermarket "warranty".
Read that "warranty" /very/ carefully before you buy into it.

OEM is a genuine bargain here. Go for it.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Joe

Nov 10, 2009, 11:45:27 PM11/10/09

Most of the chains offer lifetime warranty on the full exhaust system,
usually excepting the converter. They definitely do not last as long
as OEM, but considering the fact that I've never gotten a single
question on a replacement, I'd say it's not a major issue.

--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

Bob Jones

Nov 13, 2009, 8:50:47 PM11/13/09

"Peabody" <waybackNO...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>I need to replace the original muffler on my 94 Accord (63k miles),
> and it appears it will cost close to US$300 to have a Honda
> original equimpment "bolt-in" replacement done. Has anyone had any
> luck with the muffler chains like Midas, etc.? Are they less
> expensive? Are the mufflers any good?

If I were you, I would stay far away from Midas or other muffler chains for
that matter. I got the economizer from them once. The muffler was universal
and had to be welded on. When you add the cost of tail pipe, hangers and
labor, it can easily be over $400. Worse yet, the muffler only lasted for a
year. Although they were willing to replace it for a small fee, what a
hassle having to take the car back every year.

To me OEM is an easy choice. I get the same performance and quietness as the
original.

Southoceandrive

Nov 14, 2009, 3:21:31 AM11/14/09
On Nov 10, 8:17 pm, Tegger <inva...@invalid.inv> wrote:
> Peabody <waybackNO784SPA...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:CinKm.15295$ET3.2754

If the $300 replacement OEM muffler comes with a lifetime warranty,
why doesn't the original OEM unit have the same lifetime warranty? Is
there a difference between the original OEM unit and the replacement
OEM unit?

Tegger

Nov 14, 2009, 8:26:14 AM11/14/09
Southoceandrive <southoc...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> If the $300 replacement OEM muffler comes with a lifetime warranty,
> why doesn't the original OEM unit have the same lifetime warranty?

I've wondered about that myself.

> Is there a difference between the original OEM unit and the replacement
> OEM unit?

There's zero difference between the factory one and the OEM replacement.

Brian Downing

Nov 28, 2009, 8:04:42 AM11/28/09

The major chains warrant the hardware, then they use cheap
ungalvanized hardware which rusts within a couple of years.

When you go in for waranty work they nick you for labor
and the very parts that fail, cheap hangers, nuts and
bolts are not covered so they charge you again.

They also use a torch, cutting where convenient
and quickly welding the part in.

If you EVER decide you're tired of their racket, and
install a proper Honda exhaust, you'll be forever trying to undo
rusted nuts and other connections between pipes.

My Accord had an A pipe, Cat, B pipe, and Muffler + tip.

I bought what I needed from Majestic Honda.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Factory parts at resellor prices.

I have a '91 Accord with 150,000 miles, still going strong
as wife's daily driver (I have an '02 M3 for myself).

rec.autos.makers.honda at bsd.users.panix.com

Message has been deleted