04 Civic EX CEL P0135 and P0134

ndccpf1

Oct 1, 2011, 11:37:53 PM10/1/11
EX Automatic (1.7 VTEC) had CEL of P0134 Bank1 Sensor 1. I tested the
whte and green plug lead (heater) and was extremely his resistance. I
changed for a $ 70 OEM Denso.

Now I get P0135 O2 Circuit not Active Bank 1. Could it be the wrong O2
sensor or a bad one out of the box ?

Meatman

Oct 2, 2011, 6:45:43 AM10/2/11
IMHO, the O2 sensor codes are some of the most common AND deceptive/
money-wasting on record for the impulsive and/or intermediate/
uninitiated mechanic. They aren't necessarily wrong, but they both
(upstream & downstream) can have several causes. I have a basic scan
tool (limited in it's diagnostic details of course) and can't count
the number of folks that I've loaned it to (or scanned myself) where
it said it was this or that O2 sensor or bank 1 or bank 2...and they
replaced it, and BOOM! The same code returns. Just saying: If it
says it's an O2 sensor, it definitely may be, but several other
factors go into what the O2 sensors read, and how 'other' probs can
throw these codes and cause a false negative on the O2 sensors.
-
From here I defer to my personal deities on this board for a proper
face-slap or portion of gruel: Tigger, Beamer, Nasty, and Grumps.

ndccpf1

Oct 2, 2011, 8:25:59 AM10/2/11

Another poster / forum reply was apparently the store sold me the
Narrow Band (for VTEC-E) and I need the Wide Band for VTEC. I will be
calling them today. Narrow band is $ 70 and Wide Band is $ 270.00
(Honda wants $ 370.00).
Have used my scanning tool for a few other O2 sensor replacemts in the
past and all worked well. Now the finer details show themselves on the
secifics of the engine (VTEC-E and VTEC are same liter and
displacement).

Many thanks !

jim beam

Oct 2, 2011, 11:50:12 AM10/2/11
On 10/02/2011 05:25 AM, ndccpf1 wrote:
> On Oct 2, 6:45�am, Meatman<KevinLe...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> IMHO, the O2 sensor codes are some of the most common AND deceptive/
>> money-wasting on record for the impulsive and/or intermediate/
>> uninitiated mechanic. �They aren't necessarily wrong, but they both
>> (upstream& downstream) can have several causes. �I have a basic scan
>> tool (limited in it's diagnostic details of course) and can't count
>> the number of folks that I've loaned it to (or scanned myself) where
>> it said it was this or that O2 sensor or bank 1 or bank 2...and they
>> replaced it, and BOOM! �The same code returns. � Just saying: �If it
>> says it's an O2 sensor, it definitely may be, but several other
>> factors go into what the O2 sensors read, and how 'other' probs can
>> throw these codes and cause a false negative on the O2 sensors.
>> -
>> From here I defer to my personal deities on this board for a proper
>> face-slap or portion of gruel: �Tigger, Beamer, Nasty, and Grumps.
>
> Another poster / forum reply was apparently the store sold me the
> Narrow Band (for VTEC-E) and I need the Wide Band for VTEC. I will be
> calling them today. Narrow band is $ 70 and Wide Band is $ 270.00
> (Honda wants $ 370.00).
> Have used my scanning tool for a few other O2 sensor replacemts in the
> past and all worked well. Now the finer details show themselves on the
> secifics of the engine (VTEC-E and VTEC are same liter and
> displacement).
>
> Many thanks !

i would go to denso's website, look up their part number, then dags for
online retailers listing that number. amazon for instance. you can
also try ntk sensors which sometimes are a little cheaper than denso,
but work fine on honda, unlike some of the other aftermarket stuff out
there like bosch.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Tegger

Oct 2, 2011, 5:24:28 PM10/2/11
ndccpf1 <ndc...@gmail.com> wrote in news:83d63650-e30b-4d71-b095-
59bb43...@j10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
Your car needs an A/F sensor, not an oxygen sensor. A/F sensors operate on
a different principle from ordinary oxygen sensors.

An oxygen sensor signal flip-flops between .1 and .9 VDC, while an A/F
sensor signal is a gradually varying voltage. The ECM can only read the
signal it's meant to read.

--
Tegger

jim beam

Oct 2, 2011, 6:25:13 PM10/2/11
On 10/02/2011 02:24 PM, Tegger wrote:
> ndccpf1<ndc...@gmail.com> wrote in news:83d63650-e30b-4d71-b095-
> 59bb43...@j10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
>
>> EX Automatic (1.7 VTEC) had CEL of P0134 Bank1 Sensor 1. I tested the
>> whte and green plug lead (heater) and was extremely his resistance. I
>> changed for a $ 70 OEM Denso.
>>
>> Now I get P0135 O2 Circuit not Active Bank 1. Could it be the wrong O2
>> sensor or a bad one out of the box ?
>

> Your car needs an A/F sensor, not an oxygen sensor. A/F sensors operate on
> a different principle from ordinary oxygen sensors.

more commonly known as an afr [air fuel ratio] sensor, otherwise known
as a wide band sensor. it most definitely /is/ an oxygen sensor.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFR_sensor#Wide-band_sensor>

> An oxygen sensor signal flip-flops between .1 and .9 VDC, while an A/F
> sensor signal is a gradually varying voltage. The ECM can only read the
> signal it's meant to read.

yup. see above.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Tegger

Oct 2, 2011, 9:32:18 PM10/2/11
jim beam <m...@privacy.net> wrote in news:j6aoca$3h7$1...@speranza.aioe.org:

> On 10/02/2011 02:24 PM, Tegger wrote:
>> ndccpf1<ndc...@gmail.com> wrote in news:83d63650-e30b-4d71-b095-
>> 59bb43...@j10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> EX Automatic (1.7 VTEC) had CEL of P0134 Bank1 Sensor 1. I tested
>>> the whte and green plug lead (heater) and was extremely his
>>> resistance. I changed for a $ 70 OEM Denso.
>>>
>>> Now I get P0135 O2 Circuit not Active Bank 1. Could it be the wrong
>>> O2 sensor or a bad one out of the box ?
>>

>> Your car needs an A/F sensor, not an oxygen sensor. A/F sensors
>> operate on a different principle from ordinary oxygen sensors.
>
> more commonly known as an afr [air fuel ratio] sensor, otherwise known
> as a wide band sensor. it most definitely /is/ an oxygen sensor.

Technically true, but the trade refers to the two by different names.

If you need an "air/fuel" ("A/F") sensor, you need to ask for that, not an
"oxygen sensor", regardless of whether you preface the phrase "oxygen
sensor" with "narrowband" or "wideband".

--
Tegger

jim beam

Oct 2, 2011, 9:56:41 PM10/2/11

i'd rather we stuck with the technically true than the colloquially
misinterpretable.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

ndccpf1

Oct 15, 2011, 11:13:19 PM10/15/11
On Oct 2, 9:56 pm, jim beam <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 10/02/2011 06:32 PM, Tegger wrote:
>

> > jim beam<m...@privacy.net>  wrote innews:j6aoca$3h7$1...@speranza.aioe.org:

> >> more commonly known as an afr [air fuel ratio] sensor, otherwise known
> >> as a wide band sensor.  it most definitely /is/ an oxygen sensor.
>
> > Technically true, but the trade refers to the two by different names.
>
> > If you need an "air/fuel" ("A/F") sensor, you need to ask for that, not an
> > "oxygen sensor", regardless of whether you preface the phrase "oxygen
> > sensor" with "narrowband" or "wideband".
>
> i'd rather we stuck with the technically true than the colloquially
> misinterpretable.
>
> --
> nomina rutrum rutrum- Hide quoted text -

Back from travelling and removed the $ 70.00 O2 sensor (NAPA sold me
the one for VTEC-E engine). New one was $ 298.00 Installed and cleared
codes.
Car is good as new !