CRX : no restart after stall

1 view

Meatman

Apr 30, 2010, 5:08:35 AM4/30/10
1988 CRX DX. Stock. Ok otherwise except that exhaust smells rich
pretty regularly. Just did TP sensor. No MIL. Will check for LED
blink codes tomorrow(today) SITUATION: cold engine. 60 degrees
outside. Start up and then warm up for 10 mins and then accidentally
stall 'cause I'm on a hill and had the E-brake engaged too many clicks
for take-off to prevent rolling in the lake 8^) Tried to restart
and...nothing. Not even a sputter/stumble/failed attempt. Turns over
like a champ. Walked away for NO MORE than 5-10 mins and tried
again. Perfect, started right up. Thoughts? I had noticed this off
and on from time to time over the years, but about now I'm in the mode
of "gettin' the BS fixed!" Thoughts? And Thank You in advance, as
always. Kevin.

Elle

Apr 30, 2010, 6:10:24 AM4/30/10
Dying after being warmed up then failing to re-start for several
minutes point to a bad ignition coil (located at the distributor.
Consider replacing the igniter at the same time. Use OEM only. OEM
here pays for itself.

This should help, too: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#startrun

Tegger

Apr 30, 2010, 8:12:19 AM4/30/10
Meatman <Kevin...@comcast.net> wrote in news:37996fa8-d8bf-4526-aa6e-
d4640e...@k19g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

When you crank and the engine refuses to fire, does the tach needle jiggle
even the tiniest amount, or is it dead-still? Watch for that next time.

--
Tegger

Kaz Kylheku

May 2, 2010, 12:23:06 AM5/2/10
On 2010-04-30, Meatman <Kevin...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Walked away for NO MORE than 5-10 mins and tried
> again. Perfect, started right up. Thoughts?

Wild-assed guess: engine flooded with fuel, which had a chance to
evaporate?

Meatman

May 2, 2010, 6:09:41 AM5/2/10
On May 1, 11:23 pm, Kaz Kylheku <kkylh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2010-04-30, Meatman <KevinLe...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Walked away for NO MORE than 5-10 mins and tried
> > again.  Perfect, started right up.  Thoughts?
>
> Wild-assed guess: engine flooded with fuel, which had a chance to
> evaporate?

Hard to say, for me. Tried to do an exact "reinactment" last night.
But no luck. It wouldn't fail. Will try again. Was kinda sorta
under the impression that "flooded" applied to carbs, not FI. This
CRX if DPFI if that helps.

jim beam

May 2, 2010, 11:30:26 AM5/2/10

no, "flooded" happens to fi as well.

have you looked at the ecu to see if there are any codes stored? if
it's 16, there's a good chance the problem is the main relay. tegger
has the explanation [and cure] on his excellent website. otherwise,
investigate ell and tegger's suggestions here.

[great car btw - i have a 90 dx.]

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Marty Bose

May 2, 2010, 1:17:50 PM5/2/10
In article <201005021...@gmail.com>, Kaz Kylheku
<kkyl...@gmail.com> wrote:

I've had this happen to me if the engine kicked backwards a little
while it stalled. It seemed to be something that the ECU decided was
wrong. If I wait a while it will reset and start just fine, if I was
in a hurry I would just pull the ECU fuse under the hood for about 10
seconds and it starts immediately.

Marty