1996 Accord LX valve noise!

David K.

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

I just bought a 1996 Accord LX, which now has about 250 miles on it. The
problem (?) is that when the engine is first started cold, and even
after it gets warm to some extent, there is a noticeable valve clicking
noise. I've brought it back to the dealer twice and had the service
managers and the head mechanic check it out (cold and warm) and they say
it's normal. They say it's due mostly to the aluminum engine. We also
started an identical 1996 Accord, and it sounded the same.

My question is: Do other late model Accord owners also have this
experience? It may be normal, but it's loud enough to be unnerving.
Could it be that the valves need to break in more to get "seated"
properly?

Any advice, experiences, or opinions appreciated!
--
Dave
airk...@ix.netcom.com

aaliban

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

"David K." <airk...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>I just bought a 1996 Accord LX, which now has about 250 miles on it. The
>problem (?) is that when the engine is first started cold, and even
>after it gets warm to some extent, there is a noticeable valve clicking
>noise. I've brought it back to the dealer twice and had the service
>managers and the head mechanic check it out (cold and warm) and they say
>it's normal. They say it's due mostly to the aluminum engine. We also
>started an identical 1996 Accord, and it sounded the same.
>
>My question is: Do other late model Accord owners also have this
>experience? It may be normal, but it's loud enough to be unnerving.
>Could it be that the valves need to break in more to get "seated"
>properly?
>
>Any advice, experiences, or opinions appreciated!
>--
>Dave
>airk...@ix.netcom.com
>http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/1750

I've noticed the same thing on my 1996 DX automatic with about 1200 miles on
it now. Since I bought it, it would the valves would be noisy the first mile
or so, then settle down. However, the engine is still a little noisier than
I expected. I saw a post a little while ago saying that the injectors were
probably responsibly for the clicking and it went away as they warmed up.
I would be interested in hearing from other Accord owners whether this problem
went away as they put more miles on their cars.

Liban

Daniel Le

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

I have 92 Honda Accord LX Station wagon and it does the same.
Now it got 57000 miles and still doing it.
Wait until cold weather, the noise will knock your shock off.
I brought it to the dealer couple of times. Some says it is
the injectors, some says it is valves. But all and all, they
say it is normal. It kind of bother me with the valves noise
though. After the engine warms up, most of the valves noise
goes away.

Paul Mitsui

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

David K. wrote:

> I just bought a 1996 Accord LX, which now has about 250 miles on it. The
> problem (?) is that when the engine is first started cold, and even
> after it gets warm to some extent, there is a noticeable valve clicking
> noise. I've brought it back to the dealer twice and had the service
> managers and the head mechanic check it out (cold and warm) and they say
> it's normal. They say it's due mostly to the aluminum engine. We also
> started an identical 1996 Accord, and it sounded the same.
>
> My question is: Do other late model Accord owners also have this
> experience? It may be normal, but it's loud enough to be unnerving.
> Could it be that the valves need to break in more to get "seated"
> properly?
>
> Any advice, experiences, or opinions appreciated!
> --
> Dave
> airk...@ix.netcom.com
> http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/1750

Maybe I'm going crazy, but it seems like my 1996 Accord EX Coupe is
really noisy as well. It sounds like the valves and seems to go away
once the engine is warm...or maybe I just get used to it.

Al Jackson

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

Paul Mitsui (pmi...@dataflight.com) wrote:

I have a 96 Accord LX, and I thought it was pretty noisy when it is
started with the engine cold. I took it in to several dealers
and they all say it is normal. It now has 15K on it. Starting it
when the temperature is 20 degrees F. makes you think you have
a deisel. I cannot say if it will make the same noise as last
winter, now that I have more miles on it - I'll wait and see.

It would not surprise me to see something down the road that will
provide for a fix. Given the noise, I'd think twice before buying
another with the same engine.

Al

David K.

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96
to Al Jackson

Al Jackson wrote:

> Paul Mitsui (pmi...@dataflight.com) wrote:
> : David K. wrote:
> : >
> : > I just bought a 1996 Accord LX, which now has about 250 miles on it. The
> : > problem (?) is that when the engine is first started cold, and even
> : > after it gets warm to some extent, there is a noticeable valve clicking
> : > noise.

***clipped***

> I have a 96 Accord LX, and I thought it was pretty noisy when it is
> started with the engine cold. I took it in to several dealers
> and they all say it is normal. It now has 15K on it. Starting it
> when the temperature is 20 degrees F. makes you think you have
> a deisel. I cannot say if it will make the same noise as last
> winter, now that I have more miles on it - I'll wait and see.
>
> It would not surprise me to see something down the road that will
> provide for a fix. Given the noise, I'd think twice before buying
> another with the same engine.
>
> Al

After seeing these replies, I'm becoming more convinced it's normal.
The noise doesn't bother me as much as the thought of something being
wrong. However, everyone I talk to says these engines are bulletproof,
and they have a good track record to back that up.

My question to you Al:
Have you had the 15,000 mile valve adjustment done, and if so, did it
change? Has you mechanic expressed any concern over the noise?

Your remark on the "diesel" sound made me laugh, because that's exactly
what I said!

rjo...@olemiss.edu

Oct 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/9/96

"David K." <airk...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Al Jackson wrote:
>>
>> Paul Mitsui (pmi...@dataflight.com) wrote:
>> : David K. wrote:
>> : >
>> : > I just bought a 1996 Accord LX, which now has about 250 miles on it. The
>> : > problem (?) is that when the engine is first started cold, and even
>> : > after it gets warm to some extent, there is a noticeable valve clicking
>> : > noise.

>***clipped***

>> I have a 96 Accord LX, and I thought it was pretty noisy when it is
>> started with the engine cold. I took it in to several dealers
>> and they all say it is normal. It now has 15K on it. Starting it
>> when the temperature is 20 degrees F. makes you think you have
>> a deisel. I cannot say if it will make the same noise as last
>> winter, now that I have more miles on it - I'll wait and see.
>>
>> It would not surprise me to see something down the road that will
>> provide for a fix. Given the noise, I'd think twice before buying
>> another with the same engine.
>>
>> Al

>After seeing these replies, I'm becoming more convinced it's normal.
>The noise doesn't bother me as much as the thought of something being
>wrong. However, everyone I talk to says these engines are bulletproof,
>and they have a good track record to back that up.

I have a 90-Accord EX (57,000 miles) and a 93-Accord 10th Annaversary
Edition (17,000). The Ex started making a lot of valve noise at about
15,000 miles and I took it in to Honda dealer for valve adjustment.

$47 later, the noise is still there and the mechanic said it is
"normal".

At 26,000, I take the car to another honda dealer for valve
adjustment. Still noisy after adjustment and the mechanic said "they
all do that".

48,000 miles, take the car to independent auto repair shop, valves
adjusted, noise persist. Mechanic said "yea, my 95 Accord has noisy
valves too".

So far the 93 is still fairly quiet, but eventually "they all sound
like that".

Robert Jordan

P.S. Only one repair on either Accord since new, right-front channel
on 90 radio died...$54 repair.

George Macdonald

Oct 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/13/96

Al Jackson wrote:

> Paul Mitsui (pmi...@dataflight.com) wrote:
> : David K. wrote:
> : >
> : > I just bought a 1996 Accord LX, which now has about 250 miles on it. The
> : > problem (?) is that when the engine is first started cold, and even
> : > after it gets warm to some extent, there is a noticeable valve clicking
> : > noise. I've brought it back to the dealer twice and had the service
> : > managers and the head mechanic check it out (cold and warm) and they say
> : > it's normal. They say it's due mostly to the aluminum engine. We also
> : > started an identical 1996 Accord, and it sounded the same.
> : >
> : > My question is: Do other late model Accord owners also have this
> : > experience? It may be normal, but it's loud enough to be unnerving.
> : > Could it be that the valves need to break in more to get "seated"
> : > properly?
> : >
> : > Any advice, experiences, or opinions appreciated!
> : > --
> : > Dave
> : > airk...@ix.netcom.com
> : > http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/1750
> :
> :

> : Maybe I'm going crazy, but it seems like my 1996 Accord EX Coupe is
> : really noisy as well. It sounds like the valves and seems to go away
> : once the engine is warm...or maybe I just get used to it.
>
> I have a 96 Accord LX, and I thought it was pretty noisy when it is
> started with the engine cold. I took it in to several dealers
> and they all say it is normal. It now has 15K on it. Starting it
> when the temperature is 20 degrees F. makes you think you have
> a deisel. I cannot say if it will make the same noise as last
> winter, now that I have more miles on it - I'll wait and see.
>
> It would not surprise me to see something down the road that will
> provide for a fix. Given the noise, I'd think twice before buying
> another with the same engine.
>
> Al

All the FI Hondas I've owned make that noise when cold. If you notice,
it varies according to how much gas you give it. My theory: it's the
fuel injectors rattling, which decreases as the rubber seats warm up.

Rgds, George

Paul Clancy

Oct 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/14/96

My 1990 accord and 1988 Integra both make same noise. Be advised that
using premium gas (chevron supreme plus)will lessen the click to a great
extent. Shell regular makes both sound like a rabbit deisel belcher.

Cheers,
Paul