Do You Commute On One Of America's Most Dangerous Highways?

NoOption5L

Dec 15, 2000, 12:05:46 AM12/15/00
Here's the list:

-"Blood Alley" - Highway 21 - between Otto and DeSoto, Missouri

-"The Highway of Death" - Route 138 - between Palmdale and San Bernardino,
California

- "The Highway To Hell" - Route 431 - between Phenix City and Eufaula, Georgia

- "Suicide Six" - Route 6 - between the Rhode Island border to S. Foster, Rhode
Island

The following are bad, just not quite as bad.

-U.S. 93 - between Wickenburg and the Hover Dam, AZ.

-Highway 74 - a 8.5-mile section between Perris and Lake Elsinore, CA

-Highway 37 - in Sonoma County, CA

-Merritt Parkway - the first 8 miles east of the New York Border, CT

-Route 6 - between Bolton and Columbia, CT

-U.S. Route 19 - a 30-odd-mile section in Pinellas County, FL

-The Harlem-Grovetown Road, GA

-U.S. 95 - the entire 538 miles from Oregon to Canada, ID

-U.S. 169 - along a 20-mile section in Miami County, KS

-Combs Mountain Parkway - the 2-lane stretch between Campton and Salyersville,
KY

-U.S. 301 - a 50-mile section south of Washington DC., MD

-Route 6 - a 5-mile section patch in Seekonk, MA

-State Route 316 - in Dakota County, MN

-Highway 75 - between Nebraska City and Auburn, NE

-The Pulaski Skyway, NJ

-Route 30 - between Los Alamos and Espanola, NM

-Route 5 - east of Buffalo, NY

-Route 68 - between the Piedmont Triad airport and the Guilford-Rockingham
County border, NC

-U.S. Route 27 - through Butler County, OH

-Highway 18 - a 19-mile stretch from east of Sheridan to west of Grand Ronde,
OR

-Conchester Highway - southwest of Philadelphia, PA

-U.S. Route 69 - through Hardin County, TX

-Route 17 - a 10-mile patch between Chesapeake and the North Carolina border,
VA

-State Highway 522 -10 miles between Woodinville and Monroe, WA

- Route 10 - between the towns of Logan and Man, WV

Please be careful on your travels during the busy holidays, and especially if
you plan on traveling on any of these highways.

Patrick

'93 Cobra - Best E.T. 13.44 / Best MPH 103.23

Former original owner - '87 5-liter, 5-speed LX
14.2 @ 98 stock - 13.8 @ 101 lightly modded

I'm not brand loyal. If it's fast, I like it.

Boycott Excessive Motorsports

V6stang (Garth Almgren)

Dec 15, 2000, 12:15:31 AM12/15/00
NoOption5L wrote:

> Here's the list:

<snip>

> -State Highway 522 -10 miles between Woodinville and Monroe, WA

I damn near hit a peacock while driving down this road. The guy behind
me was tailgating me so closely that when my rear brakes locked for a
second, sending a puff of smoke his direction, the guy went into a panic
four wheel lock and ended up sliding partially off the road, missing me
by inches.

How and why the peacock was walking across the highway, I'll never know.
:0)

But it definitely is a dangerous stretch of road. It's a two lane road
that until recently was fairly narrow. The speed limit is 60, but people
routinely do 70+, that is until they come up on someone like me that
does maybe 5 over. Then they pretend that our bumpers are tied together
with a shoestring. Ugh.

--

-Garth
'83 V6 GL Hatch

Michael Vastarelli

Dec 15, 2000, 2:54:48 AM12/15/00
I've driven on the Merrit Parkway several times before. It's not too bad
with the exception of that foresaken gridlock bridge that's gotta be 3/4 a
mile above the river below it. You go VERY slow on that bridge.

--
~Mike
'95 3.8L V6

"NoOption5L" <noopt...@aol.com> wrote in message

Sandman

Dec 15, 2000, 5:56:27 AM12/15/00
I hit a rather large Owl the other night, if it makes you feel any better,
and it was with the squad too. No damage, though. For as big as it was, it
sure was light-weight.

"V6stang (Garth Almgren)" <V6s...@V6stang.com> wrote in message

Tony Barnes

Dec 15, 2000, 6:39:43 AM12/15/00
"V6stang (Garth Almgren)" wrote:

> How and why the peacock was walking across the highway, I'll never know.
> :0)

Ummmmm, to get to the chicken on the other side?

Tony

Mike Greene

Dec 15, 2000, 7:39:06 AM12/15/00

Mike Greene
Mike's Auto Emporium
http://home.hiwaay.net/~mgreene
http://rocketcitymustang.com
1993 Cobra - 1969 428SCJ Mach 1
1966 GT-350H - 1970 Boss 302

NoOption5L <noopt...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Here's the list:
>
> -"Blood Alley" - Highway 21 - between Otto and DeSoto, Missouri
>
> -"The Highway of Death" - Route 138 - between Palmdale and San Bernardino,
> California
>
> - "The Highway To Hell" - Route 431 - between Phenix City and Eufaula,
Georgia

> - "Suicide Six" - Route 6 - between the Rhode Island border to S. Foster,
Rhode
> Island

Actually, 431 is between Phenix City and Eufaula, ALABAMA - not Goergia!!!

NoOption5L

Dec 15, 2000, 8:27:36 AM12/15/00
In article <Feo_5.4427$_X4.2...@news-east.usenetserver.com>, "Mike Greene"
<mgr...@hiwaay.net> writes:

>NoOption5L <noopt...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Here's the list:

>> -"Blood Alley" - Highway 21 - between Otto and DeSoto, Missouri

>> -"The Highway of Death" - Route 138 - between Palmdale and San >>Bernardino,
California

>> - "The Highway To Hell" - Route 431 - between Phenix City and Eufaula,
>>Georgia

>Actually, 431 is between Phenix City and Eufaula, ALABAMA - not Goergia!!!

Actually, it's spelled Georgia, not Goergia (:-)) ... but yea, you're right.
Thanks for the correction.

95GT aod-e

Dec 15, 2000, 8:59:14 AM12/15/00
Oops, you missed one...TX State Highway 195, the official "Highway of Death"
for TX. Per TXDOT it is the deadliest section of highway in TX and it has
been for numerous years. Occasionally now (my soccer team & I used to
travel it every weekend for soccer games down in Austin) I travel that road.
It used to be a farm to market road and it has become a highly traveled road
from Fort Hood, Killeen area to where it meets up with I35. A lot of folks
from this area use it to get to Austin and points south. It's about 30
miles long and had 12 fatalities last year, the highest ever. The
commanding general of Fort Hood put that highway off-limits for his soldiers
who use it as a shortcut to I35. There is an alternate route which makes it
about 15 miles longer (all highway - 60 & 70mph) which they were told to use
instead. A few years ago TXDOT started construction to change it from a 2
lane into a 4 lane road and it should be completed in about 4 or 5 years, at
least in this area of the stretch. People will do some stupid sh*t on this
road, pass in a no-passing zone and that includes passing others on the
right using the shoulder of the road. A lot of times alcohol is involved;
people go to Austin to party and then attempt to drive back instead of
spending the night there.

And like Patrick said, "be careful out on them thar roads".

--
Bleifuss
Bright Blue 95GT, aod-e

Boycotting:
1. Excessive Motorsports
2. Auburn Performance Equipment, ( APE ), Matt Happy and anything he is
involved with.

95GT aod-e

Dec 15, 2000, 9:23:49 AM12/15/00
> Oops, you missed one...TX State Highway 195, the official "Highway of
Death"

Well, not necessarily you, but whoever compiled the list missed it.

L & R

Dec 15, 2000, 9:56:51 AM12/15/00

Hey, the hometown makes the list. I've been to several fatal head on
collisions on this stretch, which is 10 minutes from my house.

Ronnie in Chesapeake
Firefighter
95gt/aode/s-trim

C. E. White

Dec 15, 2000, 9:53:49 AM12/15/00
NoOption5L wrote:

> -Route 17 - a 10-mile patch between Chesapeake and the North Carolina border,
> VA

I am all too familiar with this stretch. This particular road could be
improved immensely with just a chain saw. Today the only thing that
keeps the road open is the constant parade of big rigs that keep the
trees pruned back. The good news is that Virginia is finally going to
widen the road (at least 20 years too late).

Ed

Marc Warden

Dec 15, 2000, 10:58:45 AM12/15/00
NoOption5L wrote:

> Here's the list:
>
> -"Blood Alley" - Highway 21 - between Otto and DeSoto, Missouri
>
> -"The Highway of Death" - Route 138 - between Palmdale and San Bernardino,
> California
>
> - "The Highway To Hell" - Route 431 - between Phenix City and Eufaula, Georgia
>
> - "Suicide Six" - Route 6 - between the Rhode Island border to S. Foster, Rhode
> Island
>
> The following are bad, just not quite as bad.
>
> -U.S. 93 - between Wickenburg and the Hover Dam, AZ.

<snip>

I've driven that highway 93 from Wickenburg to the dam and I had a close call, my
own fault. Luckily for me and the driver of the truck I had to quickly pull in
front of to avoid a head on was a better driver that night than me.

Driving in CA for many years I've not driven on two lane roads and done any
passing, driving up that road one night trying to make Las Vegas for the night and
I got behind a long line of big rigs.

At what I thought was a safe point, I pulled out from behind a long line of big
rigs and started to go around and found a car coming towards me much closer than I
expected. Misjudged the distance that car was away from me and the amount of time I
needed to go around all the trucks.

Had to duck into the the line of trucks and the driver of the truck behind me kept
his cool.

Whoever you are, thanks for not hitting me!

Sincerely,

MarcW.

stangboy68

Dec 15, 2000, 12:43:15 PM12/15/00
Although just about every road in Atlanta is bad, by far the worst
intersection is Highway 41 and Windy Hill Road in Marietta (actually, I
think its one of the worst in the nation). Too many people run red lights.
But I here there installing multiple cameras, so maybe it will be taken off
the list.
--
_______stangboy68________
Justin Robert Marcinkowski

Grover C. McCoury III

Dec 15, 2000, 12:50:09 PM12/15/00
An addition:

Route 17 between Santa Cruz and San Jose, CA

This roadway goes through the Santa Cruz Mtns..and there is downhill stretch with a
cement median barrier that is scarred for about 1/4 mile. Cars regularly bounce off
the median causing horrific accidents.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach I @
http://members3.clubphoto.com/grover245289/1970_Mustang_Mach_I

NoOption5L wrote:

--

/**********************************
Grover C. McCoury III

sunsp...@netscape.net

Dec 15, 2000, 1:14:24 PM12/15/00
I'll second that one. The decreasing radius turns seem to get everyone.
They go into the turns too fast only to find out that the turns get
increasingly sharp. Add to that the people who zoom up in the right lane
to try to cut in front of you before they have to slow down for the big
rig all while entering these turns and talking on a cell phone... man,
talk about a pet peeve. Just a plain nasty stretch of road.

Mike

Grover C. McCoury III <gro...@brightlink.com> wrote:
: An addition:

jim_d

Dec 15, 2000, 1:59:41 PM12/15/00
Been down that stretch of road many times. Don't forget the pine
trees/debris that end up on the highway after a big windstorm, too.
There is a peacock farm around there, I believe.

Marc Warden

Dec 15, 2000, 6:15:43 PM12/15/00

I'll second that. 17 used to be a cool drive over to Santa Cruz from San Jose but not
any more.

The heavy commuter traffic coupled with the sand trucks and any accident backs up
traffic for miles/hours.

Sincerely,

MarcW.

mwillis

Dec 15, 2000, 10:25:55 PM12/15/00
My hometown of 7,000 makes it onto the newsgroup and it's for this!!!!!

Well, I hope being on the list will encourage the Nebraska DOT to stop using
all the cement for Mayor Quimby's pool....(sorry for the vague Simpson's
reference).

But kidding aside that 20 mile stretch of road is bad. Nebraska is known
for being flat, but that part is hilly...with cliffs!!!!!and water
runoff!!!!!and farm animals!!!

It gets extremely foggy in the spring....blizzards in the winter.

Glad I don't live up that way anymore. Graduated and got the h%ll out.

GARNET KELLY JR

Dec 16, 2000, 2:47:27 AM12/16/00
U.S 93 around the hoover dam is no joke practically everyone drives the
speed limit posted which is about 15 to 20 mph ascending and descending
which if you try to push 60 mph in those hairpin curves you are certain
of death.
U.S 93 from hoover dam to wickenburg AZ has a lot of up hill and down
hill so if you travel on this road in the summer when it is 105 to 115
derees make sure you have your coolant topped off or you will surely
overheat,and have a cell phone cause their are no service areas as they
have on the east coast example I 95.

Stephan Rose

Dec 16, 2000, 6:46:34 PM12/16/00
Correction... US 95..suicide no matter where you are on it.
FL..people can't drive.

Stephan

V6stang (Garth Almgren)

Dec 16, 2000, 2:20:00 AM12/16/00
Jim, D wrote:

> Been down that stretch of road many times. Don't forget the pine
> trees/debris that end up on the highway after a big windstorm, too.
> There is a peacock farm around there, I believe.
>
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:15:31 -0800, "V6stang (Garth Almgren)"
> <V6s...@V6stang.com> wrote:
> >
> >How and why the peacock was walking across the highway, I'll never know.
> >:0)

That *would* explain it.

What a doozy of a wind storm we had last night. We had no power till
midday today. A lot of debris combined with icy conditions made driving
fun today...

Couldn't make coffee, but I could've run my computer for about 10
minutes, thanks to my new UPS. Talk about good timing! :0)

Subic Sailor

Dec 19, 2000, 7:06:04 PM12/19/00
Who says anything was missed?

The list could be 100% factually correct. TX State Highway 195 may be the
official "Highway of Death" for TX but still not hang with the big boys in
other states.

I'm really surprised there aren't more 'killer highways' in TX being that
GWB was Gov' for a little while. ;)

--
Subic Sailor
'91 LX 5.0 Coupe

"95GT aod-e" <lead...@downtown.com> wrote in message

95GT aod-e

Dec 19, 2000, 11:57:44 PM12/19/00
First, I don't know who compiled the list or what agency provided the info,
so I don't know about its accuracy.

I really wasn't comparing it to any of the other states tho, just TX. The
reason I said "missed" is because "U.S. Route 69 - through Hardin County,
TX" made the list (but to be honest, I don't know what the toll is there so
far this year or its past record). What I do know for a FACT is that the
TXDOT (according to the local tv stations and newspapers) this year gave 195
its "TX H.O.D." (deadliest section of highway in TX) label for 1999 and it
has for several other years in the past. These stat's are normally compiled
on an annual basis (1/1-12/31) here. Now it could be that 69 is ahead with
deaths in TX for '00, but since 195's past history has been clearly
established, and it is still has the "current official title", and the year
2000 hasn't ended yet, I thought it belonged on the list as another very
dangerous stretch of highway for us to be careful on. Better to be aware of
it and alive than unaware and maimed or dead.

--

"Subic Sailor" <sub...@home.com_nospam> wrote in message

> Who says anything was missed?
>
> The list could be 100% factually correct. TX State Highway 195 may be the
> official "Highway of Death" for TX but still not hang with the big boys in
> other states.

V6stang (Garth Almgren)

Dec 20, 2000, 8:07:02 PM12/20/00
95GT aod-e wrote:

> First, I don't know who compiled the list or what agency provided the info,
> so I don't know about its accuracy.

I've seen that exact list in Reader's Digest. I dunno where Patrick got
his from though...

95GT aod-e

Dec 20, 2000, 10:32:49 PM12/20/00
Thanks for ID'ing one source there, Garth. Maybe Patrick can tell us where
he got the list from.

If you have seen the list in Reader's Digest, then one would think that the
info should be pretty accurate. Since the list specifies sections of roads
between point A and point B, I think it's too bad the list didn't give
specific numbers. I can provide a number - it's about 1 death for every 2.5
miles of Hwy 195 for 1999. But anyway, if additional info can help save a
life, then I'm all for making people aware of it. I, for one, don't want to
die quite yet.

Just for the heck of it, I just searched for an RD website and found it. It
looks like the list may have been published around Oct since the first
response is dated 10/13/00, but I didn't find the article. What is also
interesting is the feedback at:

http://206.79.157.161/cgi-bin/WebX?1...@147.Z5JYarxseNc^2@.ee6ed20

I found #19 particularly interesting, - Anne Linaberger - 04:57pm Oct 28,
2000 EST (19.). I think it goes to show us that there are a lot more
deadly/dangerous roads that are out there that didn't make RD's list (like
we didn't already know that tho). Let us learn from what RD has provided us
and from what other readers (RAMFM & RD feedback) provided (to include
"geography" and "what animal crosses the road where") and try to survive
this holiday season and the future.

In the meantime, "Happy Holidays" to all.

--
Bleifuss
Bright Blue 95GT, aod-e
Modded to enhance the "Fahrvergnuegen" :-))
www.runninstangs.com

Boycotting:
1. Excessive Motorsports
2. Auburn Performance Equipment, ( APE ), Matt Happy and anything he is
involved with.

"V6stang (Garth Almgren)" <V6s...@V6stang.com> wrote in message

NoOption5L

Dec 21, 2000, 12:41:13 AM12/21/00
In article <BRe06.24616$7V2.3...@typhoon.austin.rr.com>, "95GT aod-e"
<lead...@downtown.com> writes:

>Thanks for ID'ing one source there, Garth. Maybe Patrick can tell us where
>he got the list from.

You nailed it. Reader's Digest was the source. Anytime I read or hear
something interesting that's automotive I try to post it. This time I was
reading Reader's Digest at an orthodontist office waiting at my daughter to get
some new bands on her braces (three more visits = only three more payments...
can't wait!!). As for the issue, I'm not sure if I still have the info lying
around. I'll look.

95GT aod-e

Dec 21, 2000, 10:17:32 AM12/21/00

> In article <BRe06.24616$7V2.3...@typhoon.austin.rr.com>, "95GT aod-e"
> <lead...@downtown.com> writes:

> You nailed it. Reader's Digest was the source. Anytime I read or hear
> something interesting that's automotive I try to post it. This time I was
> reading Reader's Digest at an orthodontist office waiting at my daughter
to get
> some new bands on her braces (three more visits = only three more
payments...
> can't wait!!). As for the issue, I'm not sure if I still have the info
lying
> around. I'll look.

Patrick, thank you for sharing the article. RD is my one of my favorite
mags in waiting rooms, second only to car mags. Unfortunately, only one of
the doc's we frequent has Car and Driver in his waiting room.

Now, about the loves and likes in your life:
3 more visits = only 3 more payments!!!
0 more visits = 0 more payments = mod money?? ;-)

--
Bleifuss
Bright Blue 95GT, aod-e
Modded to enhance the "Fahrvergnuegen" :-))
www.runninstangs.com

Boycotting:
1. Excessive Motorsports
2. Auburn Performance Equipment, ( APE ), Matt Happy and anything he is
involved with.

> Patrick

NoOption5L

Dec 21, 2000, 8:44:13 PM12/21/00
In article <gap06.29989$7V2.3...@typhoon.austin.rr.com>, "95GT aod-e"
<lead...@downtown.com> writes:

>> You nailed it. Reader's Digest was the source. Anytime I read or hear
>> something interesting that's automotive I try to post it. This time I was
>> reading Reader's Digest at an orthodontist office waiting at my daughter
>>to get some new bands on her braces (three more visits = only three more
>>payments... can't wait!!). As for the issue, I'm not sure if I still have
the info
>>lying around. I'll look.

>Patrick, thank you for sharing the article.

Not a problem... I love sharing neat info.

>RD is my one of my favorite mags in waiting rooms, second only to car mags.
>Unfortunately, only one of the doc's we frequent has Car and Driver in his
>waiting room.

Yea, I like both of them too.

C&D IMO is the best car mag.

>Now, about the loves and likes in your life:
>3 more visits = only 3 more payments!!!
>0 more visits = 0 more payments = mod money?? ;-)

HOPEFULLY. We may soon be moving. If we move to a northern state, the Cobra
might get sold. If we stay in the south, yep, it'll mean more mod money.
Right now my buying for the Cobra is on hold. I was tempted to order some
skinnies for X-mas, but decided it was best to see how the next few months work
out.

NB

Dec 24, 2000, 5:11:14 AM12/24/00
Been on 195 and it is pretty dangerous. At night there are no lights
and it is in the country. Also it is a two lane road(one lane in each
direction) and the speed limit it 70. One reason there are so many
deaths is because alot of GI's(army)would go to Austin and party and
then drive back to Fort Hood and wreck. Alot of deer out there.

97hb